Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 03-31-2012, 08:08 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Default Show me your work space!

I'm in the process of renovating and redecorating my office. I'm having a really hard time figuring out what kind of desk to get and how much desk space I need.

I work from home on my laptop and scrap on my laptop. I have a whole wall full of shelves to use for supplies. So show me - where do you work and scrap and why do you love it or hate it?
Old 03-31-2012, 08:22 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

No pics handy, but my computer space is a small desk, designed for a desktop computer. On the opposite wall I have an old kitchen table that I have refinished to match my office space that I use as a surface space. I love the combination.
Old 03-31-2012, 08:35 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

Hmmm... how funny... a year or two ago over at the shop where I sell my CU stuff we had a thread about this very thing (and it was such a fun thread! ), and so I just *know* I have photos of my workspaces somewhere... I will have to search through my photo/media archives on my blog and find 'em. I'll try to be back at some point! And I'll see if I can also come up w/ some good answers to your questions about "love it? hate it? why?", too!
Old 03-31-2012, 09:05 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My office is quite the work in progress right now. I tore it apart last summer and started to redesign and redecorate it. I have 3 desktop computers in here. As you walk in the room you my computer is along the wall by the doorway so you see the side of my computer basically. Straight in front of you is a sliding glass door. On the wall opposite of my computer sits 2 small, matching computer desks separated by a narrow bookcase. The wall beside the doorway, opposite the sliding door is a teensy, tiny bathroom. There are two closets in here, one on the wall my computer is on and one on the opposite wall that houses DH and the kids' computers. It would seem like I have a lot of storage space but one closet is my stockpile of HBA products and office supplies and the other closet holds a filing cabinet, our printer, extra paper, etc. There really is no space in here for my crafting supplies but then again, I meant this to be an office not a craft room so I guess it works. One day I'd like more of a studio where I can spread out but this works for now.

Anyway, I got as far as painting and putting in the new desks for hubby and kids' computers and then my progress came to a grinding halt. I was still in the middle of all of this when I was offered a job and I just haven't made the effort to finish it up since. I have so many ideas pinned on Pinterest that I'd like to try. My walls are entirely blank save a shelf that I just put up a week or so ago. My walls are aqua and I painted the trim white with the intention of having lots of white in here to make it nice and airy. The desks I found were black and then the bookcase that was the right width was also black so suddenly there is a lot of black instead of white in here. My desk is an old thing that we've used for over 8 years now. It was called a dorm desk. It has a cart that holds the printer that is separate from the desk and then three drawers to the right that have a faux locker front on them (thus the 'dorm' title, I guess). Anyway, it needs some work. It is old after all but it is a good size. My monitor is 24" and I could easily put two of them on here. I think this summer I'm going to paint all the metal parts pink (don't laugh, I think it will be great with the aqua, and I'm itching for something a little feminine!) and then cover the top with some pretty scrappy paper (maybe even print some out and go the hybrid route) and a plexi glass top. My only fear is that the top will cost more than a new desk would cost. LOL
Old 03-31-2012, 09:13 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I could share a photo of my work space, but I'm pretty sure it is NOT what you are looking for when you ask for photos. I'll try to get it cleaned up this week and take some nice photos. For the most part I love it, but I need to declutter it in a BAD way - I still have remnants from DD's fairy birthay party that was on the first Saturday in JANUARY that I need to put away.

If you want to feel good about your workspace, look at the photo in the lower right corner of this LO...

Old 03-31-2012, 09:22 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

Well, well, well... will wonders never cease?! haha ...I actually found the photo I was looking for! In less than a day! (I sure wish my actual house was as well-organized as my blog archives... geez louise... wouldn't that be amazing?!!).

Here's my "office" in our basement:

Here's the sad part... this photo was taken over a year ago, and umm... well... not much has changed. That sewing machine still hasn't moved an inch (and not because I have sewn much any time recently... ahem...) *hides face in shame*

Anyway, here's what I love and what I hate... what I'd do again, what I'd do differently, etc...

*LOVE having a built-in desk with a large/long countertop. Super easy to fill it with clutter. (LOL just kidding!) Seriously, it's nice to have a big long space that can function in multiple ways: line up a few computers/peripherals? Check. Paper scrap? Check (not that I have done this recently! ...but I could). Gift-wrapping? Check. Etc. Etc. Etc.

*HATE that b/c it's in the basement, the lighting is terrible. Make sure you set yourself up to actually be able to see what you're doing, wherever it is that you set-up. Even if it means installing some good overhead lighting (or getting one of those really bright Ott lights, or whatever they're called?). When I do computer work, it's all good b/c the screen is bright regardless of the room's lighting... but if/when I try to do something crafty/hybrid/sewing/etc. w/ my hands and eyes, it's not ideal. I hadn't thought of that when I claimed the space.

*LOVE that I can get away from everything and hide in a retreat in our basement... nice to have some "me space"

*HATE that because it's not in the center of the house, I don't end up using it as much as I should/would like to. In truth, a good majority of my scrapping and designing takes place on my laptop in various other parts of the house... so definitely think about where you want to work on certain things, before you lock yourself into being in a certain place to do those things.

That's all I can think of right now?
Old 03-31-2012, 10:27 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

We redid our family room in the fall, and for the first time ever, I have a work space I love that I can actually keep neat.

My space is half a wall in our family room. My area is nice and long (about 6 ft), but because of the window I only have 2.5 feet of depth and can't do anything L-shaped. I looked forever for a reasonably priced white desk that would work for me, but what I finally came up with was to get a large Expedit bookcase from IKEA and a small desk (the Micke desk, also from IKEA) that lined up well with it. The desk just sits in front of the bookcase, but when you look at them in person it looks like they were meant to go together like this.

What I love:
Lots of vertical storage space, very little "table" area. In the past, I've tried to fill as much of the wall as I could with a long desk and a tall hutch since we didn't want to install anything permanent like cabinets or wall shelves. What I didn't realize was that too much horizontal space is terrible for me. I pile it with stuff and can never get control of the clutter. And my old hutch was big but didn't really have that much space to put things away in. This is perfect because everything is right there in front of me and organized, but the clutter never gets out of control. Even at its messiest, I can straighten everything up in under 10 minutes.

I love that it's in the middle of family life. Okay, I don't always love that, but the reality is that if I had a desk in the basement like my DH does, I'd never get to use it until the kids were asleep.

I love the white. It's bright and happy and makes me smile.

What I don't love:
On the rare occasion that I want to do something hybrid, I usually use a table instead of my desk. But since 99% of my desk time is spent on the computer, it's not a big deal.

The lighting isn't great. That's a problem throughout our house. I moved it for the picture, but I keep a floor lamp with a reading light arm right near the desk and the thing hanging over the computer is a clip on light.

Last edited by rach3975; 03-31-2012 at 10:31 PM.
Old 03-31-2012, 10:34 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Great workspaces!!! I just work on my dining room table! LOL granted I rarely do any hybrid so the table works for me

Rachel - I LOVE your blue walls!!! <3

Old 03-31-2012, 10:51 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to nun69

love yoru space Rachel....right now I have a desktop on a basic gladd computer desk in the ktichen/dining area, but this is my scrapbook room that sadly I don't spend enough time in

this is my wall to the right of my desk the pictures in the middle are my nieces adn nephew and were a gift for my SIL, just wanted to see what they would look like on the wall}....but hopefully one day I will get to enjoy this space wehn I can't take my eyes of of my 2 youngest!!!! {6 and almost 5}
Old 04-01-2012, 09:15 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Laura - I love that long counterspace and all the storage you have! Thanks for the tips on lighting. I am still trying to figure out that piece. I know that I have to have a fan in the that room but I hadn't thought about any other lighting. My office is located downstairs, but right now I'm working/scrapping in our family room. I do my hybrid projects on our wet bar so everything is a mess where we live. I hope having my own room will give the ability to close the door on the mess but I hope I don't feel like I'm hiding away.

Heather - Love the blue walls with the white desk and storage. Your thoughts on horizontal space have me thinking. I'm a stacker and piler too.

Ang - I love your room it' s so warm looking. The wall mounted storage is awesome! I love that idea. The picture wall is amazing as well - I think I might need to do that.
Old 04-01-2012, 09:48 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I am in the process of moving mine into my son's room. Since he moved out, he doesn't need it anymore. But, will take loads of photos when it's finished.
Old 04-01-2012, 11:11 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Its great seeing your spaces! I might be able to gleam some ideas from you all. I'm going to work in my office some today. I opened the sliding door up because its so nice outside and I had papers fly across the room at me. My desk is a mountain of papers. Yikes!
Old 04-01-2012, 12:42 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

wow - you are all so neat and tidy - I would be ashamed to put a photo of my office on here - it looks like an explosion happened in there
Old 04-01-2012, 12:52 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by seatrout View Post
wow - you are all so neat and tidy - I would be ashamed to put a photo of my office on here - it looks like an explosion happened in there
LOL, just because my cabinets are white doesn't mean anything is neat and tidy! hahaha ...do you not see the piles of paperwork, and binders, and random sewing machines, and fax machines that haven't been used in years... all over the countertop? The cabinetry is like camo for that stuff, I guess, b/c it looks so clean and white. But don't be fooled. I'm a freakin' mess, and so is my house... and my office... and... and...

Old 04-01-2012, 12:54 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
*snort* thats why there are no pictures of my office since I first moved in there, lol! it's a disaster zone
Old 04-01-2012, 01:19 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

lol! I recently took pictures of my office/craft room...for PL.

its my happy place...I recently moved my computer desk so I don't have a recent picture but will try and get one soon!
Old 04-01-2012, 07:50 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Oh that looks like a fun room to play in Mari! I have that same metal shelf but I keep mine in the closet.

What is your ribbon hanging off of? That's a good idea. My 13 yo loves to go through my ribbon so I need a way to keep it out where it can easily be accessed.
Old 04-01-2012, 08:15 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Shower curtain hooks...I use them to hang up almost everything! lol And they are cheap at walmart...works perfectly to hang packaging and stuff up on those wire shelves!
Old 04-01-2012, 08:34 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Brillant idea Mari! Thanks for sharing.
Old 04-01-2012, 09:10 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I did a little video of mine. Just trying to upload it to You Tube. It's taking foreverrrrrr.....
Old 04-01-2012, 09:11 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
See, that's why I haven't posted a picture of my space. Oh my gosh, I probably have you all beat for messes. Its awful. Incredibly awful. I worked on it some today though and feel a little better about it. I'm hoping to get a lot more done this week.
Old 04-01-2012, 09:47 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

OK, my first ever You Tube video, showing my scrap room.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZRbw...ature=youtu.be

P.S. Do I really sound like that??
Old 04-01-2012, 10:06 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

You have such an awesome space, Jacinda! Neat to hear your accent too

I've been surfing the IKEA website ever since I saw this thread and I'm hoping to find a way to add some more storage to my home office.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacinda View Post
OK, my first ever You Tube video, showing my scrap room.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZRbw...ature=youtu.be

P.S. Do I really sound like that??
Old 04-01-2012, 10:45 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Love it, Jacinda! So bright and open.
Old 04-01-2012, 11:45 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

It's so much fun to see everyone's spaces! And don't be fooled by the nice, neat workspace I posted. It's probably the only place in the house that I touch that is neat, LOL. Drives my DH crazy, because everything of his is perfectly organized and always where it belongs. I've learned a lot lately about what helps me stay neater, but organization will always be a work in progress for me.

I'm going to have to pick up some of those shower hooks, Mari. I bet they'd work for some necklaces that I'm always struggling to keep hung up. The hooks I have now are too small, but I could hang 1 shower hook on each of them.

Last edited by rach3975; 04-01-2012 at 11:50 PM.
Old 04-02-2012, 12:46 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

You don't want to see. I have an UGLY, SMALL desk that BARELY fits my iMac with my Wacom. Hate it. I love seeing everyone else's spaces though! We're building a house (as long as nothing else gets in our way) and we've added a desk nook like this to the plan (since we can't afford another room for an actual office).

-It's pronounced Meeeegan... get it RIGHT!
Old 04-02-2012, 01:23 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Oh my word my desk is so messy you'd think my monitor was floating on a sea of papers!!! But I love seeing all these tidy and fun looking spaces!! I'm jealous! We live in a townhouse so we've got 2 IKEA desks along the back wall of the living room for me & my hubby. Very boring and very messy!!
Old 04-02-2012, 11:12 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

here is one quick picture of mine right after we renovated the floors and built in the desk. I love my scrapbook display and my paint! And I love my desk too - it fits 3 computer stations, and 2 people can paper scrap (or 4 can digi LOL)

Old 04-02-2012, 11:32 AM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Mye

Wow! Love all your tidy places!

Angie, I would definitely want to stay in your room.

Mari - love love your scrapbook room

Boy, mine back in Manila is just a small computer table with printer on top, monitor keyboard mouse and tablet in the middle and the cpu at the bottom. But with me being here in Singapore for the time being, I work in bend with my macbook on my lap - so tell me, can I really work on that? I'll have to try for a few more days LOL!
Old 04-03-2012, 01:54 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

This is a great thread! My workroom is wherever my laptop is! I wish I had a dedicated space and it is so inspiring to see all of your beautiful creation stations.

Melissa- I just love how you have those scrapbook pages hanging on the rods. Do you tend to keep the same favorite pages up or change them around?
Old 04-03-2012, 02:13 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Melissa - thanks for sharing. Your scrapbook pages hung from the rod looks awesome! I love that desk arrangement too. That's what I wanted to do but hubby says it will take up too much floor space. Sigh! Still trying to figure out what kind of desk I want.

The paint is done my new office - a blueish-purplish-gray. Now I have to wait for my FIL to come next week top put in the baseboard to really load must stuff back in there. I'm dying to get all my crafty stuff organized so I can create (and make a huge mess - so pictures before I create will be a must).
Old 04-03-2012, 02:26 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

these workspaces are beautiful! i work on a laptop so i'm usually sitting on my couch. i have a desk in the playroom but it's currently covered with papers.

Jacinda, i love your accent!
Old 04-03-2012, 03:04 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by interstitchal View Post
Melissa- I just love how you have those scrapbook pages hanging on the rods. Do you tend to keep the same favorite pages up or change them around?
I switch a couple of them probably every time I print new pages!

They are just curtain rods with page protectors turned sideways - a piece of chipboard in with the page keeps it from curling, and you can tie them onto the rod with ribbon, or use s-hooks! Super easy!! Actually I did a blog post about it here: http://homeketeers.com/create-a-scrapbook-display-wall/