Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2010, 03:02 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to nun69
Default Looking for Paint Ideas

can you guys help me out please I am looking for ideas for painting BEFORE we move all of our stuff into our new house...here is what I am looking for :

1. living room and kitchen to be yellow or possibly one yellow and th eother one a complimentary color
2. something teal in my oldset DD's {17} bedroom {her comforter will be black and white}
3. And another color to paint the rest of the open part of the house and upstairs {entry way, stairwell and all the upstairs walls }

I am NOT afraid of color so threw it at me

P.S. we are planning on buying this furniture for the living room... and as you can see all of our trim is dark other than that we really don't have anything else of color {furniture wise}
very similiar to what we are buying

here is the kitchen looking into the living room

this is looking from one bedroom out into the loft/upstairs hallway and the big wall at the stairwell

Old 06-21-2010, 03:13 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to BrattyMeg

I'm a neutral fan..just b/c I love how classic it looks/feels and you can always change up pillow and accessory coloring..my color i'm wanting to put in our living area is called um..peanut butter (Behr) I think lemme find the swatch I have saved..brb

~~Click Here~~
to visit my shoppe
Old 06-21-2010, 03:18 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Here's the swatch

~~Click Here~~
to visit my shoppe
Old 06-21-2010, 03:19 PM
Brodo gettin her Swerb on

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to ColleenSwerb

After buying our house and painting almost everything the day after we closed, I have to say that I'm a fan of the "wait and see how the place FEELS" theory of painting. Yes, it blows to have to move furniture later on to paint, and I know how awesome it is to get it all done and overwith at once, right away. But I wish we had waited and seen how the lighting is in different rooms and such.

That being said, we picked a tan/sady colored neutral for the entire house and painted accent walls in colors. I like the method, just not 100% happy with the colors sometimes.
Old 06-21-2010, 03:42 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I'm a do one room at a time type of person..b/c I hate to spend $$$ on 5 rooms and need $$ for something else while working on 1 room and can't get it..I like to do 1 project, finish it, and move on to another one

~~Click Here~~
to visit my shoppe
Old 06-21-2010, 03:46 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Our couch is the same color leather as those and we painted our living room a cream color (its warm with a touch more yellow than most creams) and we painted one wall a light sage color (again a warm one).

march challenge tracker | find me on instagram and pinterest | she/her
Old 06-21-2010, 03:49 PM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

When I was building my house I found this set of kitchen canisters that I love. I ended up choosing the color palette for the kitchen and great room (since the kitchen overlooks the great room) based on these canisters. The colors are warm fall colors - funny, since I love in Florida - but I absolutely adore the warmy, homey feel of the rooms. You might find some inspiration in items you own. You can always choose not to paint the whole room, but paint one wall to bring in color that way. Or even paint different walls two different colors. That's what we did in my son's room. He wanted blue and yellow, so found the two colors and alternated walls. It's really fun and it will work as he gets older depending on furnishings, accessories, etc.

Old 06-21-2010, 04:18 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColleenSwerb View Post
After buying our house and painting almost everything the day after we closed, I have to say that I'm a fan of the "wait and see how the place FEELS" theory of painting. Yes, it blows to have to move furniture later on to paint, and I know how awesome it is to get it all done and overwith at once, right away. But I wish we had waited and seen how the lighting is in different rooms and such.

That being said, we picked a tan/sady colored neutral for the entire house and painted accent walls in colors. I like the method, just not 100% happy with the colors sometimes.
ok Col you will have to share share pics of your walls the only trouble with us waiting is we have 2 little ones that will want to TOUCH the paint to see if it is dry!!! that is why we thought we would do it before we move in but I am certianly not buying anything until we actaully have keys and stuff Also because I want to see what the carpet will look like agains the walls as well, that might decide on color too
Old 06-21-2010, 08:15 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

We did all of our paint before we moved in and it worked great for us, but I think it probably helped that since we had the house built new, we had been visiting the house every week for several months. So by the time we got the keys, we already had a good idea of lighting, etc. About a year later we did repaint one room but that was mostly because I let my DH pick out that color and he decided later he hated it, haha.

But our living room, kitchen, staircase and hallways are Sherwin-Williams Latte:

Our bedroom is Sherwin-Williams Calico, which is a really pretty grown-up kind of teal that would be great for your DD. Our comforter is white and gray so black and white would totally work with it:
Old 06-21-2010, 08:38 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

i'm a huge fan of neutral colors too. but i like the idea of having an accent wall of a bold colr. i'm really wanting to have a kitchen with one wall painted a deep red and the other walls some sort of tan/light brown shade. good luck! i always love picking out paint for a new home.

oh and Meghan....is that picture of your living room? cause if it is i MUST have your couch. I LOVE it!
Old 06-22-2010, 06:44 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Oh I'm loving this thread because I am in the midst of repainting our house right now. It is only 4.5 years old but it is still the original builder's beige paint and showing its wear and tear (we are the second owners with small children). I've repainted my kitchen and master bathrooms so far as well as put up a chair rail and painted below it for DS#2's room, but the living area is stumping me because while I love color, we are going to have to sell soon (military) and I don't want to have to repaint again with our 3892038472ft ceilings! So I'm loving you neutral gals I guess!

Course I think it would be pretty ironic to paint our house a color called Peanut Butter since we found out DS#2 is allergic to peanuts while living here and we are a peanut free house now! But I'm gonna have to get a swatch just to see.

You HAVE to see the paint in the light it is going to be in. Trust me after 7 tries of picking the right blue for our master bath! I highly recommend Benjamin Moore for blues though now. They were just not so neon on the wall for some reason. I do have a beautiful accent wall in our office that I got the color from the inside of my favorite coffee mug, so you never know where inspiration is gonna strike!

Ok I've rattled on...but thanks for starting this thread! And just think...worst case...you live with the paint for a while and repaint if you hate the color (when the kiddos are away).
Old 06-22-2010, 11:36 AM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

I saw this last week (someone here posted a link last week to this blog) and immediately thought of it when I saw your post. I love the teal with the black and white accessories!

http://enchantresses3.blogspot.com/2...soomeveal.html
Old 06-22-2010, 12:49 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by gchristyng View Post
I saw this last week (someone here posted a link last week to this blog) and immediately thought of it when I saw your post. I love the teal with the black and white accessories!

http://enchantresses3.blogspot.com/2...soomeveal.html
WOW that is FABULOUS!!!! Saving that!!!! and my oldest DD would LOVE the blue wall s my my youngest DD would love all the other acccessories...so I think I may just incorporate a little bit into each of their rooms! thanks for sharing!!!!
Old 06-22-2010, 02:52 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColleenSwerb View Post
After buying our house and painting almost everything the day after we closed, I have to say that I'm a fan of the "wait and see how the place FEELS" theory of painting.
I agree so much on this. I feel like one can only know what's "right" for a place after having lived there for some time. I do greatly admire people who are able to plan these things in advance.

Old 06-22-2010, 02:59 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We desperately need to pain the inside of our house! Im loving the Sherwin-Williams Latte color. Im a neutral gal for most of the house then painting bedrooms and accent walls with other colors.