Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-2009, 11:56 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to AnnieBananie
Default Any other Couch to 5k'ers?

Just wondering if anyone is doing it? I know a couple of you are...

Tomorrow marks 1/2 way through the 30-Day Shred... when I'm done, I'm going to start C25K! I might throw it in now... I dunno. How was it in the beginning? Hell?
Old 05-28-2009, 12:02 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

After I have this baby, I'll be right with you! I really need to get back into running!
Old 05-28-2009, 12:07 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I'm on my last day of week 7 (of 9) and I really love it. The beginning was a little rough for me, but take it as slow as you need to. The nice thing is that you can see definite (and quick) improvement in your fitness. I was barely able to complete week 1 when it was 60 sec jogging/90 sec walking, but then 5 weeks later, I was able to do the 20-minute jog. It's nice to feel like you're getting somewhere!

What's a 30-day shred?
Old 05-28-2009, 12:10 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

30-Day Shred is a workout DVD by Jillian Michaels (Biggest Loser)
http://www.amazon.com/Jillian-Michae.../dp/B00127RAJY

It's hardcore!
Old 05-28-2009, 12:13 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

That is on my list after I finish a few other work out challenges. I think I would die if I tried it now.
Old 05-28-2009, 12:24 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I also wanted to add that there are a few podcasts for iPods and an awesome iPhone/iTouch application for the C25k. It makes it so much easier than trying to use a stopwatch or something for the jogging/walking portions.
Old 05-28-2009, 12:38 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm so not a runner, but I'm in week 6 and I LOVE it. It seriously is such a great motivator. I finished my first longish run on Monday, and I felt SO good that I could finish it without killing myself. I definitely recommend it! I didn't find the beginning to be very hard; I actually had to reign myself in. It definitely ramps up though after a few weeks. I love listening to books on tape while I run. It keeps my mind off the exertion and helps me get into a rhythm. I can tune out music, but you definitely have to pay attention to books. I listen to YA books though; nothing too intense while I'm running!

Old 05-28-2009, 12:55 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I just need to get myself a good pair of running shoes and I'm planning on doing it!!

Huge fan of:

Old 05-28-2009, 01:07 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to newfiemountiewife Send a message via Yahoo to newfiemountiewife

I had to stop running last week, my shins are insanely bad. I need to get new shoes next week and I'll be back on again. I'm not doing Couch to 5K but I was up to running 15 minutes straight.
Old 05-28-2009, 01:22 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I really really really want to try it! I'm so nervous and embarassed.. I was thinking I could start out on the track here at the elementary school its sorta rough and mostly gravel, anwwhere else i'd be starting on huge hills and I don't think I'd do very well with that.. blah. I am so inspired though - I know someone (from online) that started with it and has lost 100+ pounds and is now a marathoner!! seriously amazing!
Old 05-28-2009, 01:36 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Kat Stokes Send a message via Yahoo to Kat Stokes

I need to get back to it but it's going to have to wait until DS' baseball playoffs are over at the end of June. I just don't have the time to commit between now and then.

Proudly creating for:
Libby Pritchett

Old 05-28-2009, 02:23 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I thought the first few weeks pretty much sucked. LOL

It's worth it to push through, though.

Honestly, the cardio is the hard part - your legs can do it. So, if you're doing other cardio stuff, it will be easier than literally starting from the couch like I did. I would suggest doing the elliptical or bike or something on the off days to help build your cardio strength. That's what I did and it helped a LOT.
Old 05-28-2009, 02:27 PM
you're like stars

profile gallery send pm

lol I'm the opposite.. the cardio was the easy part.. my legs COULDN'T do it.I keep junking my knees.. I'm not sure I'm going to keep trying at this point cause it's just aggravating.
Old 05-28-2009, 02:53 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Susan Bartolini

I actually just downloaded the iTouch app and the schedule and was going to start it this week! I really need to increase my fitness and lose some weight. Had anyone had success losing weight on the C25K program?

Would love to hear more...

Susan
Old 05-28-2009, 03:05 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I've lost 13 pounds so far but I'm also doing Weight Watchers and some other exercise.
Old 05-28-2009, 03:30 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I lost about 20 pounds during it, without changing much else.
Old 05-28-2009, 03:30 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauren grier View Post
lol I'm the opposite.. the cardio was the easy part.. my legs COULDN'T do it.I keep junking my knees.. I'm not sure I'm going to keep trying at this point cause it's just aggravating.
You're always the exception.
Old 05-28-2009, 06:26 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I'm doing it! The first week blows (I'm on week 3) but it's crazy how your body starts to feel more natural running.. at least for me. People know I wasn't a runner and thought it was 'ridiculous' for me to try this out.. I'll show them!

Kristin.. I felt silly at first. The whole run/walk thing. I felt like people were staring at me through their windows and watching my thighs jingle jangle up and down. I am getting over the 'everyone is staring at me through their window' feeling. I just have to remember I'm doing this for me and shouldn't give a rats behind what they think.

After your Jillian workout.. you should be primed and ready for this Annie!

Old 05-28-2009, 06:33 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

LOL I do hope it'll eventually be more natural because, as it stands, I run like a duck on crack. Feet turned out, elbows stuck to my sides but still, somehow, my arms flail wildly... it's really not pretty.
Old 05-28-2009, 07:09 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I started it last summer and had to stop (unrelated medical problem). But I LOVED it. The podcasts really helped too! I didn't do each week when supposed too-- I was never a runner-- but they also say that it's ok to do so. Go for it (I need to as well).

Returning from a long scrapping hiatus!
Old 05-28-2009, 07:28 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Tracyfish Send a message via Yahoo to Tracyfish

I did it starting in January and then ran a 5K (almost all of it...walking due to major uphill over a bridge) at the end of the 9 weeks. Week 3 and 4 are the hardest for your legs, but it really is amazing how well you adjust to longer and longer periods of running.

Now I just need to get back to it...I probably need to start all over again after not running for a while.

As far as losing weight doing it, that didn't work for me, but I didn't change any other bad eating habits at the time so that was working against me.

Old 05-29-2009, 08:57 AM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

I did it last summer. I lost about 25 lbs with just that and making minor diet changes (just being a bit more sensible - and that never worked on its own for me).

Tracyfish - don't start again at the beginning, I had a gap over the winter (and a bit more .....) and I kind of bumbled around for a few weeks saying 'I can't get back into it' etc. then had a revelation last week and just went out and did it. Ran 5k straight off on Tuesday! Probably start with a 20 minuter or something? I really found that it was the technique with me, once I got the hang of it (probably about week 6!) it was a lot easier.

I'm now going to try to get up to 10k - any tips anyone?!
Old 05-29-2009, 09:32 AM
you're like stars

profile gallery send pm

tracey... my friend did similar to judet- not starting all the way up again, but he started at running a mile straight, now he's up to 2.8 miles... He def didn't start at the begining all over again :] Just listen to your body.
Old 05-29-2009, 09:35 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I didn't do the program but I started running in March and I've done two 5Ks since then. The first one was right when I started running and the second one was at the end of April. I haven't been running in over a week and I'm desperate to get out.

I haven't lost any weight, but there is a complete difference is the size of my tush and my torso is much tighter on the sides.

Penny
Old 05-29-2009, 09:38 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I ran a 5K for the first time this week. I didn't do the whole C25K thing, but I did just run for 5 minutes, then added a minute or two every week until I got to the 5K distance. I still hate running, but its the only thing that gets the last bit of weight off of me. I could do the elliptical for an hour and not dent the scale, but 20 minutes of running 3 times a week and it is finally moving! Music is KEY for me, if I don't have some rocking up beat music, like when my battery dies, I totally am done!
Old 05-29-2009, 09:44 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to newfiemountiewife Send a message via Yahoo to newfiemountiewife

I put on my old sneakers and ran today, not sure on distance, but ran for 14 straight minutes. It was so nice to get back out there. My new kicks are just not doing it for me, they give me shin splints. I was running on a 1 km boardwalk we have in town, so I would know how far I was doing, but the boardwalk is hard on my bones apparently. So I took almost three weeks off, put on my old shoes today, and ran on the pavement. My shins barely hurt at all now.

The RCMP has a running plan for people who want to join, because they will have to do a fitness test to be considered. The plan is for 12 weeks, and I'm planning to do that, so today would be day 1 for me. For the first week, you run three non-consecutive days for 15 min each day, with a bit of walking before/after. I didn't make 15 minutes today, but I was almost done, when I met up with Tony and the kids on the road, and it threw me off LOL. I could definitely have done it though.

The key for me is, I run outside, and I live where the weather sucks 90% of the time. So sticking with something is hard, it's supposed to rain for the next 5 days after today.