Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2009, 12:13 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default Tell me some ways you make yourself "happy".

So i am in a funk. I don't think it qualifies as true depression (hopefully not) but things just don't seem to be going right lately and every time I turn around, it seems something ELSE is just waiting to turn into yet another problem. Maybe it's just a high stress level and not clinical depression..who knows. But what are some of the things you guys do to give yourself a little pick me up and make yourself "happy" even if it's only for a minute or two?

kit used for siggie "Kona Coast" by Julie Billingsley
Old 06-09-2009, 12:16 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have a bath, do something I like (like make cookies), try to do something productive... if that doesn't help, I force DH to take me out on a date, lol!!

Huge fan of:

Old 06-09-2009, 12:17 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I am a fan of retail therapy, or going out for a really tasty meal. Sometimes just taking a little time for myself makes me feel good.

Hope you feel better soon.
Old 06-09-2009, 12:20 PM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

Positive self talk and constant prayer in this situation usually helps me. I remind myself to not dwell on the the possible future problems that haven't happened yet. So essentially I find the truth in the situation and work towards just living in the here and now even if it is a storm of problems occuring. I fix what is my job to fix and let the rest of it to play out in its own way.

I hope that makes sense. The book "Telling Yourself the Truth" was really helpful!
Old 06-09-2009, 12:25 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

singing in church. closing my eyes. just having a few moments to realize that there are so many wonderful things in my life. so ya, church makes me happy.

hanging out with the people i love over a frozen coffee beverage makes me super happy.

going for a bike ride always clears my head too. it's so freeing.

hugs amy!!!!
Old 06-09-2009, 12:34 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to suze

I love to dance, go outside, photograph, and go for a drive. I also love to sing on those drives!
Old 06-09-2009, 12:37 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to newfiemountiewife Send a message via Yahoo to newfiemountiewife

I've been having the same kind of problems, not real depression, but so much stress and anxiety from everything just waiting to blow up and become a serious issue.

I love retail therapy, even if it's just a bit of scrap shopping.

I also have started running, and I've gone most every day for the past three weeks. It feels nice to get off my rear end, plus I get some time to just empty my head and relax.

I've learned to let things go.

I am a very negative person by nature, so it's really hard for me to feel happy, even though I have so many things to be happy for. I feel badly then, for not being thankful because so many people would want the things I have in my life, and I make myself feel worse. I know how you feel and I hope you feel better soon. ((hugs))
Old 06-09-2009, 12:37 PM
Sweets

profile gallery send pm

Working Out! I have found a HUGE difference in my outlook when I work out as compared to when I do not. I run first thing in the morning, which provides a couple of things- 1. Energy to face the day- I am always so invigorated afterwards... ready to take on anything! and 2. Time for myself- I am such a grump if I don't get some alone time in the morning.

Hope that you find something that will help you to feel more in control

robin
Old 06-09-2009, 12:57 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I have recently started riding my bike. Totally helps!! And I LOVE a good meal somewhere that I didn't have to cook and I don't have to clean up. And definitely retail therapy. Even if it's just treating myself to one little scrapbook kit...it helps! lol

So sorry you are feeling like this Amy. I go through that regularly too and it's not fun! Big hugs!
Old 06-09-2009, 01:31 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to emmasmommy

Big hugs Amy!!

I'm a HUGE fan of working out...not only does it get agression, but it's good for ya!

I also like to take a drive and belt out my favorite songs on the radio.

Old 06-09-2009, 01:44 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I find it helps to just get out. Take a walk, go to the store or just drive around in the car. Exercise is good too.
Old 06-09-2009, 02:11 PM
The Ghost of Awesome Past

profile gallery send pm

sometimes I will try to do stuff to make others happy. Like bake cookies with my son, because I know how much he loves doing that. Or showing up at my husbands work with a box of donuts for the staff. In the process it brightens my life a little too. I'm sorry to hear about the stress in your life Hope it settles down ((hugs))
Old 06-09-2009, 02:25 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Been there too

I found finding something to look forward to each day, or every other day helped - something positive, fun or just for me, silly small things like like painting my toe nails in my fave bright pink, really helped and to be truthful, still does.

Getting out of the house and into the fresh air really helped too - even just going for a walk to the shop for a paper! I still relish my walks with my son to school and back again.

I have to say that the pleasure of playing with paper (real or digital) has helped enormously - it focuses me on something I enjoy so I can't work myself into a black mood so easily!

And it will help knowing people understand and know what you're going through - and you can see that from the lovely responses you've received to your thread

Love

Sx
Old 06-09-2009, 02:32 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I deal with depression a lot so I have to have lots of things to help LOL! Like others have suggested I'm a fan of retail therapy (scrap or actually going to a store). I'm also a fan of baths, calling Lena (she's the best cheer-er upper), or going to funny blogs (LOLCats, Fail Blog, Cake Wrecks etc). I also listen to upbeat music that makes me want to sing a long with it, watch a funny movie or a stand up comic. Actually getting up and making myelf do stuff like clean or play with the kids, putting on make up and lighting candles. All stuff I do to make myself feel better!

::Tabatha::
proud mom to Gabriel {11}, Tristan {10} Julian {6}, Sophie {3}, Lucius {1} & Ezekiel {5.28.14}
Forever Missing Katriel Star (17 weeks) and Sebastian Judah (14 weeks)
Old 06-09-2009, 02:39 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

i listen to music, hang out with friends, clean the house when i'm stressed (like right now lol)

Old 06-09-2009, 03:16 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Prayer. It got me through some really down times over the past few years with 2 deployments and such. But I don't just pray when I'm down, I pray when I'm happy too ...I try very very hard to set aside a few minutes each day for devotional and prayer time. It always helps me look at things with fresh eyes and usually they don't seem so bad after all kwim?

Old 06-09-2009, 04:57 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to pewtertm

I get outside and go for a walk...the botanical gardens and the lake being my preference. If the weather is nasty, then I'll head for the library and browse for a few good books.

When I lived in Houston and got really down, I'd go to Citizens for Animal Protection (shelter), and cuddle the cats.

And I have to agree with some previous posters...sometimes just going for a driving and belting out songs while you go along really does help. I go for showtunes LOL.
Old 06-09-2009, 05:06 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Well....I haven't been doing it lately...but for awhile I was getting a weekend away with my friends...we'd rent a couple of hotel rooms and a conference room and spend the whole weekend scrapping, eating chocolate, watching chick flicks, and having a great time! Usually we would do a lil retail therapy as well.

For times where I can't get away...just meeting a friend at a local coffee shop and scrapping there...or just talking over a cappuccino really helps.
Old 06-09-2009, 05:32 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

A clean house. My stress/moodiness seems to double when my house is a diaster. Pine-Sol is like an anti-depresant for me.
Old 06-09-2009, 05:37 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to AnnieBananie

Sorry for repeats....

Buy myself the bouquet of flowers that I like best from the grocery store (cuz it's cheaper) without looking at the price tag. I have issues buying myself things that cost more than like $5... so I can't look.

Run the kids ragged, put them to bed early, and soak in the tub.

Going out... anywhere... sans kids. I don't ask DH to watch them, I tell him that he's gonna. I usually have myself a coffee or a chai tea latte at the coffee shop and read the paper.

Buy myself something knick-knacky... (patty whack?) like a figurine or a funny mug from Hallmark.

Give the dog a bath (dog... singular... Greta isn't a fan of baths) then a walk to dry off... dunno why I like this so much.

Redecorate a room or rearrange it.

Scrap... duh.

Window-shop online... mostly at ikea.com

Hmm... that's all I can think of
Old 06-09-2009, 08:57 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

Listening to music with a great beat. Watching a movie that has a super happy ending. Mani or pedicure....love having that done. Going out for coffee and sitting and people watching.
Exercise always makes me feel better. Reading through the forum here at SSD....there is always something that makes me laugh here.....

Hugs to you.

Old 06-10-2009, 12:49 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

mine basically involve distraction from my problems (or my negative thoughts)- i stick my headphones on and tune out the whinging 3y.o. for a few songs or stick a DVD on for her so i can browse the gallery here; or i go outside and stare at my garden for a few mins; i also love my oil burner/aromatherapy stuff to a mood boost too (atm i love the scent of coconut) - shopping sorta helps me but then i get buyers remorse and physically exhausted, and i hate going shopping with DD anyway cos it becomes another source of whinging when the ' i want's ' start

CT for Britt-ish Designs & Amy Jaz Designs
Fan of SSD
Old 06-10-2009, 06:22 AM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

I definitely agree on the exercise. Makes for happy hormones and alone time.

I felt SO much happier when I was running regularly. And I'm now sat here in a similar mood to you. Really struggling to get back on the running (even though I've signed up for a 10k!) as I get motivated to run when I can't cos I'm on my own with the kids and by the time the babysitter (dh!) gets home I can't be arsed ...

Just wanted to thank everyone for the good ideas and I hope you can find something to help, Amy
Old 06-10-2009, 09:37 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I listen to Queen. Man, I love that stuff. I am indoctrinating my kids as well, and we are all dancing and singing and driving the Man crazy. It always picks me up.

Can anybodddddyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy find meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee somebodyyyyyyyyyyyy toooooooooooooooooooooo lllllllllllooooooooooooooooooove?
Old 06-10-2009, 10:26 AM
Brodo gettin her Swerb on

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to ColleenSwerb

Annie you forgot to add "meet Col for dinner and laugh for 2 hours while almost getting kicked out of a restaurant for being too awesome"

Everyone mentioned some really great stuff. Hopefully we will get our deck built by the end of the year. My favorite way to get out of a funk is to take my ipod and a large mixed drink out on a deck or in a yard on a nice day, and just read a book or a magazine. I sing along to my ipod and I don't care who listens because I LOVE my music and it makes me happy. And a little alcohol never hurt

Just taking time out to sit and read is a huge relief for me. I get to escape in the story and forget about everything that's going on around me.
Old 06-10-2009, 06:22 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Get a Sharpie and write the acronym of what's giving you grief, in pet name version, on a tennis ball or golf ball, then tee that sucker up and knock the living you know what out of it. Repeat as needed.

Perhaps I'm just destructive, but it really does feel sooo good.

Following up with a really good chocolate always helps.

ETA - if you don't have a ball handy, kneading dough violently works too. Kinda scarier for observers though.

Old 06-10-2009, 07:18 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Sometimes I just have to get out of the house and spend time with people even though I don't want to. I always come back feeling better. I hope you feel better ... been there before too.