Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2010, 09:29 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default Shin pain on treadmill....??

Anyone have an issue with this?

Maybe it's shin splints, I will have to research it to see if my symptoms match up.

I have been walking in my neighborhood for a few weeks and have felt okay but the last two days I have done my walking/jogging at the gym on the treadmill and my shins are horrible. It was so bad this morning that I stopped at 1 mile because I couldn't take the pain!

I am going to try walking in the hood tonight to see if I do in fact see a difference.

Creating for: Krystal Hartley
Old 09-22-2010, 09:37 AM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

I find I'm in more pain on the treadmill, actually. I think it's because it throws off my natural gait.

I used to get shin pain (not splints though, I'm sure) but it got a lot better when I a) got proper running shoes and b) worked on my running gait. I used to heel strike quite badly and I really focussed on hitting the ground with my mid-foot, it jars my legs a lot less and has reduced the pain.

Now I just need to work out how to stretch my calves effectively and I'll be a happy running bunny!
Old 09-22-2010, 09:58 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

yeah, I would go to a professional running store to get fitted for shoes... the reason there are so many options in running shoes is because we all have different feet and different needs... that's if you haven't already

Secondly, you might just be overdoing it too... I have a tendency to do that when I get back into running, because I'm so bored with walking and my shins hurt if I try to do too much right away. Although, I don't know how much running you're doing compared to walking. Whenever I start running again even if I start slow and follow the C25K program my shins hurt a tiny bit for the first week or two until my body gets used to running again. Are you running/walking every day? I'd only do it 3 days a week, and you can just walk the other days, that should help.
Old 09-22-2010, 10:02 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Does your treadmill have an automatic incline? Some treadmills are automatically set at 1 or 2 % incline, and it could be that your body's not used it after being out on the road.
Old 09-22-2010, 04:15 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I have a problem with shin pain while walking on the treadmill. I swear its my shoes. My trainer says it'd probably shin splints. I use the elliptical instead. Outside I cam walk without any pain. Maybe. Its my posture or like Heather said, length of stride\gait.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:19 PM
you're like stars

profile gallery send pm

i can't do treadmills cause there's too much.. bounce. it could be something like that- why the pavement is better for you etc. It's like I can't run on the track, but I can run on the bike path.