Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > Long Term Projects

Old 01-30-2016, 09:41 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm
Default Kids' Life/Childhood Book Anyone do something like this?

I am finally starting on this idea I have for my kids, and would love to know if anyone else does anything similar and share tips or organization.

The books will be for each kid to have their own printed when they leave home and be just the highlights of years. The oldest is 9 now, they have all lived in 3 places already and we expect a few more moves before they graduate. My goal is to have a page to maybe 3 or 4 for each category. Our home (the outside, address, their room), their friends while we were there, favorite places, school (class picture/teacher/field trip), sports/activities, trips taken, milestones (birthdays celebrated there,lost teeth, first, surgeries or such).

Right now I have folders for each of them with those folders for each of the past places and one for the current place. I want to add pictures as we are here so it is easier to do the recap once we move (and have notes with the pictures and names for all the teammates and friends). The hardest part is choosing just one or two picture from a trip or event so far!

I figure we have the family yearbooks and if they want they can have those printed as well - these will just be the highlights not all the details.

But this is just the beginning - so I would love any insights from anyway who has done something like this before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-30-2016, 11:35 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I'm also doing a photobook for my daughter since she was born and she's now 5. That is an annual book which starts from her birthday till her next birthday instead of Jan-Dec kind of book because I want it to be everything about her. It's really hard to choose just one or two pictures so what I do since it's her book is to make a layout where I can put quite a couple of pictures for her to see someday. Say for example her first school field trip, I choose the most important photos and put them in 1-2 page layout with journaling. I do that because I was thinking that if I will just keep the digital file in ehd and give it to her when she grow up, she might or might not print them. So since I'm making layout/pages and printing a book, I'm thinking not to deprive the layout with significant photos of each event.

Since this year I'm making a project life, the other things and events that I cannot put on my daughter's book, I can now include on the project life I'm doing.
Old 01-30-2016, 11:55 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Cherrygutz I definitely agree about the details and being hard to narrow it down. In our family book those field trips and things almost always get a double spread and I tag the layouts for each kid so they will be easy to find - if they want to go back and print all those in a book. My fear is even now if they printed them it would be 3-4 books for the oldest and he is only at the half way point lol so I want a way to have one book of highlights in case they don't want that many books. Then they can choose if they want all the extra pages printed in books (or just as a PDF book or something maybe? Who knows in 10 years what options there will be!)

Old 01-30-2016, 12:09 PM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

This is a great idea! I'm just giving the kids copies of our annual family photobook, but this idea so much simpler. I'd love to see what other's say, too!
Old 01-30-2016, 01:06 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I made a 0-12 years for the oldest.
making one for the youngest now.
made a map with fotos from every year, and pick the highlights out of it.
like birthdays, vacations, holidays ect.
Old 01-30-2016, 01:27 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Cheryl that is what I'm thinking as well. Or maybe because we rarely print photos in the digital era? Lol. I love your idea. Let's go for it!
Old 01-30-2016, 04:26 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I try and print photos pretty often - I am a bit obsessed with them lol but the ones I print for my kids aren't really what I consider archival. They are usually the cheap prints - but they get to change out the prints for their rooms often (they all have lots of frames and bulletin boards in there) but I know those won't hold up. I think this project is from my own lack of remembering my friend from kindergarten - I mean I remember one friend but that's it. We moved when I was in second grade. I know that struggle a bit and want them to be able to remember teachers and coaches and friends and addresses lol.

I love how adaptable scrapping is though - it can fit whatever needs there are. And I love hearing all the great ideas.

Old 01-30-2016, 04:49 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have several books as running projects. Each child has their book for each year. From birthday to birthday, not a calendar year. I still have a lot of pictures from daycare that I don't get until the kids start school so until I get those, my books are only files on my ehd/mac. I will print a photobook for each year when I am satisfied with all the layouts/events scrapped.
Event scrapped in my children's books are birthdays, special events, christmas tree farm, family gatherings, vacations, milestones and a few random moments here and there. I will also include a few interview/my favorites pages and in their first year one, they both have their ultrasound picture and birth story to go along with all the billion pictures snapped.
Old 01-30-2016, 06:01 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Oh Christine - interview pages are a great idea. I haven't done any of those type of pages yet and really should - there are bits and pieces but not whole pages. Since these books will be about each place we live, I really should make some questions about the place to ask when we are about to move or have just moved. That would be a great memory for them to have

Old 01-30-2016, 11:55 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I do books for both my boys in addition to annual family albums. I've done them in 3 year intervals (i.e. 0-2 yrs, 3-5 yrs, 6-8 yrs and have started 9 to ?? (probably 11) for my oldest). I've done it this way as I wanted to limit the books to about 100 pages each and those ages are kind of where the cut off fell. I figure the kids will be less cooperative for photos as they get older so I'll have less to scrap then and might be able to fit more years into a book.

I do a combination of pocket and traditional pages. The pocket pages start each year and include anything and everything, next is a birthday page, then a bunch of individual pages for significant events, milestones, holidays, interviews and just photos I really like that deserve a page to themselves. Then I repeat for the next year (i.e. pocket pages, birthday pages, other individual pages). The very last page of the book is a 'review' page, not of them, but of facts, figures and major events at home and around the world over those three years (price of petrol, food staples, postage stamps, major news events, popular movies, musicians, etc) - I think that would be interesting to look back on in 20 years time.

I have THOUSANDS of photos in their books. Doing pocket pages is the only way I could achieve this. In addition, I use photo collage cards (usually 4x6) to fill some of the pocket spaces, so I can fit even more photos in. There are some examples here and here. Traci Reed had some good ones too but I can't see them in the store anymore. Sometimes the pictures are quite small, but in the printed books (12x12) they look fine.
Old 01-31-2016, 01:59 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I plan to do this eventually. I've never printed my kids copies of the family albums or our vacation photobooks because I can't see them wanting to take that many books with them when they go. But I'm figuring that when they're seniors in high school I'm going to go back and select the most significant layouts to make them a couple of photobooks. Pages/topics I know I'll include are:

-Our annual photo with the extended family
-Their closest friends
-A layout from each school year that includes their teacher
-Pictures of the siblings together--I think the biggest challenge of the whole book will be picking just 3 or so per year that really capture their relationship
-Significant birthdays-I don't know yet if I'll include every single one
-Their yearly favorites page-I haven't been as good about doing these the last few years, so I have to get back into the habit. I used to just know the answers, but now they're all old enough that I need to do it as more of an interview rather than speaking for them
-Family photos
-Major accomplishments/interests/personality traits
-Big vacations, holidays, and events (weddings, graduations, etc.)
-Anything else I can't bear to leave out

LOL-there's no way I'm fitting all of this into the 2 or so books I was planning to make, is there? Can I really narrow it down to 10 or 12 pages a year? I may need to give them a digital copy of everything in whatever media format is popular 6+ years from now plus a few books.