Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 07-16-2012, 03:20 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Question What are you reading right now?

I know we have a book club section in the forum... but wanted to post this here for those that don't frequent that forum often (like me). I was just wondering what books everyone is reading. If I am not designing I am reading (or sleeping... LOL). I can eat while I design or read.

I usually have a couple of books that I am reading at the same time -- different genres so that I don't get bored. Right now I am reading the following two books (I have linked them to Goodreads in case you want to check them out).

1) Kisscut (Grant County #2) by Karin Slaughter
genre: Suspense/Thriller/Mystery
I just finished the first book in the series and liked it so much I immediately started the next one (thank goodness for ebooks!). The first book was pretty graphic and gory -- FYI.

2) Tangle of Need (Psy-Changeling #11) by Nalini Singh
genre: Paranormal Romance and/or Urban Fantasy (it has aspects of both)
I LOVE this author. LOVE ♥ She has another series about angels that I like even more than her Psy-Changeling Series. I am about half way done with this one -- had to put it down to give my mind a little rest from everything that is going on in the book's "world." With this being the 11th installment in the series -- and they each build on each other -- it is sometimes difficult to keep it all straight in my head. Regardless I am lovin' it. No one writes better sex scenes than Nalini Singh (at least in my opinion). This series is definitely not meant for young-adults.

I wanted to read the new Sookie book as well as the new Anita Blake book -- but the publishers have set the ebook price too high on these and I refuse to pay $12.99 for an ebook when I am losing interest in the series as a whole. I think I did pay more than I wanted to for Tangle of Need -- but that series is a must read for me. When the paperbacks come out for Sookie and Anita the prices should lower.

So.... what are you reading? Or what have you read recently that you really enjoyed?

♥ Eva

Eva Kipler
BLOGSWEET SHOPPE STORE TWITTER FACEBOOK FAN PAGE NEWSLETTER SIGNUP

♥ SNAG IF YOU ARE A FAN! ♥ ------------->
Old 07-16-2012, 03:23 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Those sound interesting. I am currently reading the 3rd Sookie book, Club Dead for the 3rd time. Sad, but I reread books often.
Old 07-16-2012, 03:25 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Fifty Shades Of Grey...
Old 07-16-2012, 03:35 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Last night I finished

Dark Fever

and today at the gym i started

Insurgent
Old 07-16-2012, 03:35 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I am currently reading Night Circus. It is different read than I normally read but I am enjoying it. It was recommended by several people so I decided to give it a chance.
Old 07-16-2012, 03:47 PM
SugarBabe & Challenge Fairy

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Lyd

Bleh. I'm currently "reading" about five books - except that I'm not *actually* reading anything. It's been a while since anything really captured my attention. Maybe when school starts back up in the fall, I'll be able to get going again. I miss hanging out with my Kindle.

Old 07-16-2012, 04:01 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Feed. Eh it's okay. It's a Zombie book. It's got parts that I like, but I am "eh" about it.
Old 07-16-2012, 04:58 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanyiadeskins View Post
Last night I finished

Dark Fever
OMG!! The Fever Series is probably my all time favorite series (and I read a lot of series). I think I would even put it above the Hunger Games -- mainly because it isn't Young-Adult. I don't dislike YA -- just like adult books better. For some reason I just LOVE to read about the fae.

Just checked the average review rating for the series and it is well over 4 stars (for 5 books). To keep such a high riating with a significant number of books is really impressive. There are a few other books listed on Goodreads as being part of the series -- but I am just talking about the five main books. There is a recent one that is a graphic novel and there are 2 spin-off series in the works. I think the first one is releasing within the next couple of months. I have heard rumors that Dreamworks has bought the rights to produce a movie(s) version of the series.

Eva Kipler

Old 07-16-2012, 05:02 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Right now, Night Road by Kristin Hannah. I picked up a paperback copy of it at the thrift store a couple weeks ago because I thought I had remembered it mentioned here as a great read. It is!!! I am loving it!

Old 07-16-2012, 05:18 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Im reading The Cove by Catherine Coulter. Its the first book in a series but Im just "Meh" about this book. Not sure I will continue reading the series.
Old 07-16-2012, 05:29 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by YepBrook View Post
Right now, Night Road by Kristin Hannah. I picked up a paperback copy of it at the thrift store a couple weeks ago because I thought I had remembered it mentioned here as a great read. It is!!! I am loving it!
EEEKKKK! Good one! Of course, I am a huge fan of Kristin Hannah.
Old 07-16-2012, 05:36 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Stacey42 Send a message via Yahoo to Stacey42

I am working my way through a stack of paperbacks and a list of ebooks of contemporary mysteries. My summer reading program is to try to read as many different contemporary mystery sleuths as possible to see just how many different types of job an inadvertant sleuth can have. SO far I have read mysteries featuring a ball room dance instructor, a pet psychic, a real estate agent, a caterer, a blacksmith, the owner of a cupcake bakery & the owner of a bread bakery. I have mysteries featuring a tiki bar owner, a tea shoppe, a coffee shoppe, a yarn store, a knitter, a scrapbooker, a math professor and a quilter (among others) still to go.

I like seeing how the author explains the sleuth finding the body (and if they continue to do so in subsequent books)
Old 07-16-2012, 05:44 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by taracotta7 View Post
EEEKKKK! Good one! Of course, I am a huge fan of Kristin Hannah.
Maybe it was you that mentioned her? This is the first book I've read of hers. It's soooo good. When I finish this one I'm going to pick another one of her books up. Which one should I read next?

Old 07-16-2012, 06:02 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I just finished The Giver (so good) and before that I read The Winter Sea - also really good, was sad when it was over. I haven't yet started a new book but will soon as we are going up north to a cabin this week and I think I might get some alone time!

I'm always looking for new friends on Goodreads too: www.goodreads.com/maryinaz - I find so many books by seeing what others are reading.

ETA: Oh, I forgot, in between those 2 I read The Pilot's Wife - also good. I'm not huge into chick-lit (although I read it occasionally), and this one could possibly be considered that, but I liked it better than most.

Last edited by maryinaz; 07-16-2012 at 06:09 PM.
Old 07-16-2012, 06:28 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Maybe it was you that mentioned her? This is the first book I've read of hers. It's soooo good. When I finish this one I'm going to pick another one of her books up. Which one should I read next?
My top 3.........you HAVE to read them all. LOL

Firefly Lane
Winter Garden
True Colors

Seriously......these along with Night Road are my favorites of hers. I like all that I have read by her.
Old 07-16-2012, 06:46 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Thx Tara!!!

Old 07-16-2012, 06:55 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Night Road is next on my list. I have just barely gotten into reading, and let's just say that I am SUPER sleep deprived!
I recently read Sarah's Key, and am just getting ready to finish The Lucky One.
Old 07-16-2012, 08:38 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I just started Firecracker, and I'm enjoying it so far.

When I read a book that's part of a series, I like to wait until the series is done and then read them back to back. Otherwise I lose interest waiting a year or more for each new book. Here are the first books in a few series that I read recently and liked a lot:

Six Moon Summer (Seasons of the Moon)
Mind Games (The Disillusionists Trilogy)
Tantalize (Tantalize series)

And I think I'm starting Red-Headed Stepchild (Sabina Kane series) next.
Old 07-16-2012, 08:55 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rach3975 View Post
When I read a book that's part of a series, I like to wait until the series is done and then read them back to back. Otherwise I lose interest waiting a year or more for each new book. Here are the first books in a few series that I read recently and liked a lot:

And I think I'm starting Red-Headed Stepchild (Sabina Kane series) next.
Is the Sabina Kane Series finished? I am behind on reading it. I think I have the 3rd book in my Kindle to read -- and the next book is already out. I like the series -- it is not a huge favorite of mine -- but I continue to read it -- so I must like it.

The Dark Swan Series by Richelle Mead is complete now. Although I think she should have written one more book -- but she says it is done. It is a really great series. Very addicting! Ms. Mead also has the Georgina Kincaid Series which is another really great set of books. That series is finished as well.

Eva Kipler

Old 07-16-2012, 08:59 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

some trashy novel that was free on amazon... don't even know the name of it. haha... once again, I just can't read - I just spend all day reading the book that I started and didn't get done what I was suppose today. This is why I can't read... I won't stop until the book is done.
Old 07-16-2012, 08:59 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to emmasmommy

oooh winter garden may be my fave EVER.

Old 07-16-2012, 09:16 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to purple_colourz

Quote:
I just finished reading this too, loved it! Now I think I will start with Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn.

Old 07-16-2012, 09:23 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvaK View Post
Ms. Mead also has the Georgina Kincaid Series which is another really great set of books. That series is finished as well.
I loved this series, reminds me that I need to read the last book! I'm currently reading two...the latest Kim Harrison's "A Perfect Blood" - a series that hasn't suffered with time like Anita Blake or Sookie Stackhouse. And my lunchtime reading is Sylvia Day's "Bared to You." Think 50 Shades of Gray but without all of the things that annoyed me, so far so good.
Old 07-16-2012, 10:56 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Is the Sabina Kane Series finished? I am behind on reading it. I think I have the 3rd book in my Kindle to read -- and the next book is already out. I like the series -- it is not a huge favorite of mine -- but I continue to read it -- so I must like it.

The Dark Swan Series by Richelle Mead is complete now. Although I think she should have written one more book -- but she says it is done. It is a really great series. Very addicting! Ms. Mead also has the Georgina Kincaid Series which is another really great set of books. That series is finished as well.
The final Sabina Kane book (#5) came out in May. I'm behind on most of the series that I started reading before they were complete. I'm a book or 2 behind on Sookie Stackhouse and 2 behind on the Kate Daniels series, and I may just wait until they're finished and then read the rest back to back.

Richelle Mead is one of my all-time favorite authors. I love the Georgina Kincaid series and the Vampire Academy books. I agree that Dark Swan should have gone 1 more book. Some of Eugenie's choices at the end of the series ruined it for me, but I think she would have redeemed herself if there'd been 1 more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay View Post
I'm currently reading two...the latest Kim Harrison's "A Perfect Blood" - a series that hasn't suffered with time like Anita Blake or Sookie Stackhouse.
I'm debating what to do about the The Hollows series. I didn't like 9 as much as everyone else seemed to, and I think it's because I've forgotten so much of what happened in the earlier books. I may need to reread them all before I read any more.

Another series that I think has held up remarkably well is Yasmine Galenorn's Otherworld/Sisters of the Moon series. There are 11 out so far and at least 4 to come. I think one thing that has helped that series stand up over time is that there are 3 different sisters who take turns narrating them (1 narrator per book). Yasmine does a wonderful job keeping the main story consistent through all the books while making each sister's voice and personal life so different that the series never feels stuck or repetitive.

Last edited by rach3975; 07-16-2012 at 11:34 PM.
Old 07-17-2012, 05:06 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rach3975 View Post
The final Sabina Kane book (#5) came out in May. I'm behind on most of the series that I started reading before they were complete. I'm a book or 2 behind on Sookie Stackhouse and 2 behind on the Kate Daniels series, and I may just wait until they're finished and then read the rest back to back.

Richelle Mead is one of my all-time favorite authors. I love the Georgina Kincaid series and the Vampire Academy books. I agree that Dark Swan should have gone 1 more book. Some of Eugenie's choices at the end of the series ruined it for me, but I think she would have redeemed herself if there'd been 1 more.

I'm debating what to do about the The Hollows series. I didn't like 9 as much as everyone else seemed to, and I think it's because I've forgotten so much of what happened in the earlier books. I may need to reread them all before I read any more.

Another series that I think has held up remarkably well is Yasmine Galenorn's Otherworld/Sisters of the Moon series. There are 11 out so far and at least 4 to come. I think one thing that has helped that series stand up over time is that there are 3 different sisters who take turns narrating them (1 narrator per book). Yasmine does a wonderful job keeping the main story consistent through all the books while making each sister's voice and personal life so different that the series never feels stuck or repetitive.
I am up to date on The Hollows Series. When I started the first book a few years ago I didn't like it much at all -- barely got through the first book. But now it is one of my faves.

Kelly Amrstrong's Women of the Otherworld (or something like that) is still going pretty strong and I think it is book 13 or 14 coming out in the next few months.

Hands down my favorite series is the Fever Series by Moning. Yeah... she pissed me off a few times while reading it -- I wish I would have waited until all the books were out before reading it. Lots of cliff hangers at the end of books.

There are a few erotica series that I read as well. Anything by Tymber Dalton is on my reading list. Sophia Oaks is another author that I read almost everything she releases. Love her western setting series -- and that sometimes the characters from one of her series will make a showing in another one of her books.

There are so many good books out there -- and not enough time to read them.

Eva Kipler

Old 07-17-2012, 05:18 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay View Post
I loved this series, reminds me that I need to read the last book! I'm currently reading two...the latest Kim Harrison's "A Perfect Blood" - a series that hasn't suffered with time like Anita Blake or Sookie Stackhouse. And my lunchtime reading is Sylvia Day's "Bared to You." Think 50 Shades of Gray but without all of the things that annoyed me, so far so good.
I have Bared to You on my Kindle -- but haven't read it yet. I have heard that it is really good. I bought it before she got her new publisher deal -- so I paid very little for it. It is much more expensive now. I also bought all of the Shades of Grey before they became so popular. I actually had a hard time finding the 2nd book to buy -- it wasn't on Amazon or B&N. I had to buy it directly from that little publisher she used.

Every time I finish a book I think... what do I want to read next? Such hard decisions. LOL I try to switch around on genres to keep things more interesting. I think it is time to read some science fiction soon. Or maybe that new hot cowboy book from Lorelei James (Rough Riders Series). That series has to be pretty much done -- there aren't any guys left that are single. LOL

Eva Kipler

Old 07-17-2012, 05:59 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm reading two (one at home and one on-the-go): The Sultan's Wife which is a really rich and layered read.

On the Island has such a fun premise that I couldn't resist picking it up: 30 year old teacher is marooned on an island with her 16 year old student. From the book description: At first, their only thought is survival. But as the days turn to weeks, and then months, the castaways encounter plenty of other obstacles, including violent tropical storms, the many dangers lurking in the sea, and the possibility that T.J.’s cancer could return. As T.J. celebrates yet another birthday on the island, Anna begins to wonder if the biggest challenge of all might be living with a boy who is gradually becoming a man.
Old 07-17-2012, 06:18 AM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

Thanks for all the great new books to put on my wishlist. I been reeading some favorites and I need to find some new ones. The latest new books I read were the Many Shades of Grey.
Old 07-17-2012, 07:06 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

i just finish Shadow of Night (the sequel to A Discovery Witches) it was good, but not as good as the first book.

I just started The Blogess' book Let's Pretend this Never Happened which is really funny. I love her humor.
Old 07-17-2012, 07:47 AM
Sugar Baby

profile gallery

At this time, I am reading "pride and prejudice" by jane Austine. it's really good and nice fiction.
damdama lake
Old 07-17-2012, 09:44 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Kelly Amrstrong's Women of the Otherworld (or something like that) is still going pretty strong and I think it is book 13 or 14 coming out in the next few months.
Oh yeah, that's another series I liked a lot that held up well! It's ending with 13 (its number and its title) this month. I've been waiting for it so I can read the last 3 (Savannah's story) back to back. She's started writing a few YA series over the last few years, but I hope she doesn't stop writing adult series after this.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:01 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryinaz View Post
I just finished The Giver (so good) and before that I read
that is an amazing book! I love it!
Old 07-17-2012, 10:02 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

oh...and I like Bared to You better than 50 shades...as far as writing and stories go