Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-2017, 03:03 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Default Online options for watching tv/movies

We live in the Philippines, and we have no way of legally buying or renting movies. We have an account with Netflix, but the Asia version is pretty limited, and we've watched almost all of the kids' movies on it. In the last few weeks, I've paid $15 each for several movies, like Trolls & Lego Batman, on Amazon, but I'd love to find a cheaper way to watch recent movies. If the American version of Netflix has good movies, I might consider paying for a VPN, which would be about $10/month. But if there are better options than Netflix, I'd love to hear about them.
Old 05-26-2017, 03:49 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

We tried a VPN once and the US Netflix was so much better than ours. You could try a free one first and see, we had a month trial. Before signing up for it. But I know there was a lot more content than our Aussie version.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Old 05-26-2017, 03:59 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Our other option here is to rent via iTunes/Apple TV.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Old 05-26-2017, 05:44 AM
Babe Lead

profile gallery send pm

I was going to suggest iTunes rental, too.
Old 05-26-2017, 08:35 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I had a VPN and loved watching the US and British Netflix but Netflix did something and they no longer work .

Was going to suggest renting through iTunes to see if it would be cheaper for you.
Old 05-26-2017, 10:19 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Netflix has really cut back on their movies in the past couple years in favor of more "original content" -- I guess since they own that. I mean, they do still have movies, but a lot less than they used to. They do have kids' movies - I hear Moana and Trolls are coming in June. Not sure whether all of those options would be available with VPN.
Old 05-26-2017, 08:13 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Since Netflix went to "local content", it's really hard to find a VPN that works, but we have friends who are using one that does work for the US version. We also have a local Asian option, called iFlix, but it still doesn't have as broad a selection as I want.

I can rent movies from Amazon (I prefer Amazon over iTunes because we can watch Amazon movies from the xBox on the TV), but when it comes to kids movies, my daughter wants to watch over and over, and if you rent it, you can only watch once.
Old 05-26-2017, 09:32 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelsgirl View Post
Since Netflix went to "local content", it's really hard to find a VPN that works, but we have friends who are using one that does work for the US version. We also have a local Asian option, called iFlix, but it still doesn't have as broad a selection as I want.

I can rent movies from Amazon (I prefer Amazon over iTunes because we can watch Amazon movies from the xBox on the TV), but when it comes to kids movies, my daughter wants to watch over and over, and if you rent it, you can only watch once.
If you like and use Amazon, have you looked into which kids' movies are available free with Amazon Prime? I honestly don't know how the selection is because my kids are past the kind of movies that your daughter is probably watching, but at about $100 per year it might be worth it for you to subscribe to Prime for things like video and music even if you can't use the shipping.
Old 05-29-2017, 05:41 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

When I was in Europe, I was shocked how limited it was compared to the US version. I love Netflix here. It's mainly what we watch.
Old 05-29-2017, 08:55 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Well, I ended up going with a subscription to iflix, which is an Asia based version of Netflix. It has a lot of different content than Netflix, and they were having a promo for a year's subscription for only $8. I figured it was worth trying. Plus you can download content. I guess if we want to watch current movies, we'll just have to rent them from Amazon, but at least now we'll have more selection.
Old 06-11-2017, 09:38 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I purchased a Kodi box.... it has pretty much any and every movie you can think of on it, it has all tv shows on it much like netflix (only new current seasons, like I can get a new episode that just aired the next day type thing). It's free to use after purchasing the box, BUT we also have unlimited bandwidth here so there is no limit on how much we steam off the internet. I'm sure it probably has some region specifics so if it were something you were interested in I would definitely do the research to make sure it would work for you.