Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2009, 04:31 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm
Default Anyone have a fudge recipe that works?

My DH has been craving really good fudge lately - the creamy stuff that we sometimes find at fairs and confectionery shops but haven't seen in a long time. He loves maple or vanilla fudge - but not chocolate and I would LOVE to surprise him with a pan. I tried one recipe this afternoon, and currently have a glob of crystalized sugar sitting in a pool of grease for my efforts and lets just say I can COOK and candy has never been a problem for me, but I've never been able to make fudge!

Anyone have any ideas? I'd love a fudge recipe that WORKS! (preferably not chocolate)

My Etsy Shop
Proud to be creating for :
Old 09-28-2009, 04:41 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I have a question...is it humid where you live? I made fudge for christmas one year and my mom told me that if it is very humid it can effect fudge and how it sets up. Also do you have a really good candy thermometer? It really important to get the fudge set up to make sure you cook it to the right temp. I make peanut butter fudge from a chocolate fude recipe and just substitute peanut butter chips for the chocolate chips

Dreaming of creating for Cindy Schneider, Studio Flergs & Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 09-28-2009, 04:44 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

this one is really similar to the one I make (my cookbook with desert recipes are packed up right now)

4 c. sugar
1/2 c. butter
3/4 c. maple syrup
1 c. milk
1 c. minature marshmallows
1 1/2 c. chopped walnuts
1 tsp. vanilla extract

Mix together the sugar, butter, maple syrup, milk, and marshmallows in a large saucepan. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the mixture forms a thread when you lift the spoon, about 20 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool while you grease a 9 inch square pan. Add the nuts and vanilla to the fudge. Stir until the mixture starts to harden around the edge of the saucepan. Pour into the prepared pan. Cool completely. Cut into 36 squares.

Dreaming of creating for Cindy Schneider, Studio Flergs & Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 09-28-2009, 04:45 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Humid? Yeah... It's thunderstorming outside right now, this morning we had hail, and my hair has been a frizzy cloud for the last two weeks. That could explain why my fudge (which I made to exact directions, with my very expensive candy thermometer) didn't work in the least...

My Etsy Shop
Proud to be creating for :
Old 09-28-2009, 04:47 PM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

EASY MICROWAVE FUDGE

1 can Eagle Brand condensed milk
3 c. chocolate morsels
1/2 stick butter
Nuts (optional)

In glass bowl put in the first 2 ingredients. Microwave for 5 minutes. Take out and stir, then add the butter and microwave for 5 more minutes. Take out and mix in nuts if desired. Place in buttered 8 x 8 inch pan and place in refrigerator overnight (if needed sooner - put in freezer for awhile) cut into small squares.

Optional - add small marshmallows or white chocolate chunks when the nuts are added.

This is the recipe that my mom lives by........................