Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 07-30-2018, 06:22 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Default Mid-Year Review

I'm piggybacking off the Bingo Challenge #1 - Mid-Year Review to ask you "What has been your best moment this year?"

Old 07-30-2018, 06:26 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Mine would be after being a stay at home mom for over 14-years, I took the plunge and interviewed for a job that didn't think would hire me. In fact, I thought they'd laugh me out of the interview when they saw my teeny, tiny resume. Imagine my shock when not only did they hire me on the spot, but they offered more than the initial starting pay!

Talk about a HUGE confidence builder in this stay-at-home mom's life! I thought when I went back to work, it would be for pennies. But I took the plunge and gave it a try, just because you never know and I didn't want to ever question, "what if?".
Old 07-30-2018, 08:53 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Nice Wendy! Congrats. When did you start? What type of work are you doing?

I started a new job too (same company). My best moment has been finding some long lost relatives (siblings, uncle, cousin, nieces, nephews, etc). I've always been an only child, so this is huge for me.
Old 07-30-2018, 10:04 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleSheri View Post
Nice Wendy! Congrats. When did you start? What type of work are you doing?
I started July 10th. It's full-time. Right now I'm in training, but this week we start the phone aspect of my job. I work for Apple, supporting/troubleshooting iOS devices. The best part, my job is work-from-home, which is awesome, especially since my husband has days/weeks/months that he'll be gone throughout the rest of the year as he's trying to get promoted in the new year. I won't have to worry about working away from home and what the kiddos are doing at home (if they'll cause a fire or let a burglar in the house). I'll be home while working and if an emergency happens, I'm there! I like that aspect of my job the best. There's no travel, no commute. My breaks are spent cleaning, laundry and preparing dinner, especially since they give us an hour for lunch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleSheri View Post
I started a new job too (same company). My best moment has been finding some long lost relatives (siblings, uncle, cousin, nieces, nephews, etc). I've always been an only child, so this is huge for me.
Congratulations on your new job!! That's awesome, always awesome when it's a company that you already work for and know!! Good luck with this new chapter of your work!!

I love that you've been able to find some long-lost relatives!! That's exciting! My husband's family is really in to genealogy and I always find it amazing when they learn things about them that they didn't know, or discover a new family member. I'm really happy that you found a few family members and hope that you build a great relationship with them, learning about them and learning about your heritage!
Old 07-31-2018, 12:04 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Congrats on the jobs, Sheri and Wendy!

My best moment so far this year was when Ben graduated from elementary school. He's on the autism spectrum and has other special needs because of a genetic disorder. There are definitely times he's a difficult kid to teach or parent, but at graduation there were some little moments that showed us just how special he is to the teachers at his elementary school. One of his former aides started crying when she said goodbye to him and asked me to send her updates next year. The principal gave me her camera and asked me to take a picture of her with Ben--she was in a lot of parents' photos, but the one with Ben was the only one I saw her request for herself. His teachers this year gave him an award that only a few kids in the grade got for setting goals and working hard to meet them. I know what an awesome kid he is, but it's so nice to know that others see that in him, too!

Last edited by rach3975; 07-31-2018 at 12:09 AM.
Old 07-31-2018, 02:29 AM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

Congrats, Wendy and Sheri for getting those jobs!
Rachel, what a big achievement for your family and obviously your son!

For me, it's a whole package, graduating for sure is the big deal, but also two weeks ago I signed up for a PhD earlier in the morning and the same day I got big news about entering the system as a teacher. Now I am just waiting for the name of the elementary school I am going to work for and be part of.
Old 07-31-2018, 09:09 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

There is nothing that stands out to me I always dislike when challenges like this pop up cause it really gets me thinking and makes me realize that even though life seems to be super busy, there's no time to make any real stand out memories. This is the last challenge I will be doing on my card.... I have an idea for it, but it's way out of the box I think.
Old 07-31-2018, 09:55 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rach3975 View Post
Congrats on the jobs, Sheri and Wendy!

My best moment so far this year was when Ben graduated from elementary school. He's on the autism spectrum and has other special needs because of a genetic disorder. There are definitely times he's a difficult kid to teach or parent, but at graduation there were some little moments that showed us just how special he is to the teachers at his elementary school. One of his former aides started crying when she said goodbye to him and asked me to send her updates next year. The principal gave me her camera and asked me to take a picture of her with Ben--she was in a lot of parents' photos, but the one with Ben was the only one I saw her request for herself. His teachers this year gave him an award that only a few kids in the grade got for setting goals and working hard to meet them. I know what an awesome kid he is, but it's so nice to know that others see that in him, too!
I read this last night and it made my heart so happy to read!!! I loved reading about what he's done. I know you are SO proud of him!! I really hope he has a good year at his next school and continues to make leaps and bounds with his progress, learning and becoming the adult that you want him to become!!
Old 07-31-2018, 09:55 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by imperio View Post
Congrats, Wendy and Sheri for getting those jobs!
Rachel, what a big achievement for your family and obviously your son!

For me, it's a whole package, graduating for sure is the big deal, but also two weeks ago I signed up for a PhD earlier in the morning and the same day I got big news about entering the system as a teacher. Now I am just waiting for the name of the elementary school I am going to work for and be part of.
I've been seeing your graduation layouts in the gallery. Congratulations over and over!!! I'm so proud of your accomplishment!!! I hope you love your new elementary school--wish you were my son's teacher!!
Old 07-31-2018, 09:58 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennNtheBoys View Post
There is nothing that stands out to me I always dislike when challenges like this pop up cause it really gets me thinking and makes me realize that even though life seems to be super busy, there's no time to make any real stand out memories. This is the last challenge I will be doing on my card.... I have an idea for it, but it's way out of the box I think.
Oh no!! It can be something simple....like you treated yourself to a movie. Seriously if it weren't for my job, I'd be just like you. My life revolves around my kiddos. But you know what I'm doing today? I'm going out with a group of ladies and seeing Mama Mia 2. Do you know the last time I did that? I don't even know because I never do anything for myself!!

There has to be something that you did for yourself--bought Starbucks, a new shirt just because you wanted. You know how moms always put their family ahead of their needs. It's important to recognize when we take care of ourselves!
Old 07-31-2018, 10:09 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

What an awesome thread full of exciting events. My biggest moment this year was getting engaged. We were celebrating our 3 year dating anniversary at home since he was on call for work and we had gone out to eat over the weekend at the restaurant we had our first date at. I was in the middle of making homemade pizza crust and my son was bouncing around the house when my fiancé asked if we should exchange gifts now. So I came into the living room of our house with sweats on, my hair all messy and flour all over me and he proposed with the most gorgeous sapphire pear shaped double diamond halo ring I have ever seen. We are getting married March 26th in Las Vegas. I am so excited that so many of our friends and family are joining us there. I thought we would be lucky to get 20 people, but we are pushing 40 people there now!
Old 07-31-2018, 01:54 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

This year started out rough, but even through the bad times, God is Good!

I think my favorite moment so far (other than seeing so many family members at the visitation and funeral), was my surprise trip.

For my anniversary this year, my husband surprised me with a weekend getaway to a small beach town. We stayed at a bed and breakfast and were just able to relax, do some hiking, and just enjoy each other! He told me at lunch on Friday, the same day we were leaving! We basically packed, dropped the girls off at their grandparents and were on our way! I am usually the planner in our family. I love to plan ahead, research where we are going etc. I didn't do any of that for this trip, and it was actually nice to hand all that over to him!
Old 07-31-2018, 02:46 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I love these types of posts. You all have had some great moments this year and it is so uplifting to read them.

For me it was watching my son get married. I just smiled the entire day because I was so happy for him and my DIL. It was so wonderful, I even forgot what a Bridezilla she had been for months. LOL
Old 07-31-2018, 05:44 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

For me it would be going back to France to my family. I live in the US now. My life is here.
I hadn't seen my sister in 3.5 years. My parents I had seen when my second baby was born almost 2 years ago. It's a long time!
Anyway we had a huge party with over 70 people from both sides of my parents and I was able to see a bunch of family members and it felt so good.
Old 07-31-2018, 05:57 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

ooh! i love this thread!! so many awesome stories.

about 1 year ago I demoted myself. I left my company several years ago, took on bigger, higher paying jobs at other companies, and realized I wasn't any happier. I did a lot of soul searching and realized that I needed to allow myself to be content and to stop being so driven to achieve something else.

1 year ago I left my job and came back to my old company at the same level I was at 3 years ago, and I'm sooo happy. Great work/life balance and I love my job. And for the first time in my life I'm at peace with myself personally and professionally.

(clearly I've had issues with being a bit too achievement oriented, lol)

beckie_scraps on IG!
Old 07-31-2018, 10:49 PM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

I think for me it's a couple things. First would be my son overcoming his hair pulling. He started pulling out all of his hair the beginning of his 7th grade year. It was a difficult time for us and for him to get him to stop finally at the beginning of this year. We are so proud of him.

Also is taking a family trip to Universal Studios. My kids are older now and it was a bunch more enjoyable than having to deal with littler kids. We will definitely plan another trip back again.