Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2018, 08:25 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Default Anyone ever have a concussion?

Has anyone ever had a concussion or know of someone who had one? Last week I had four wooden puzzles fall off the top shelf of my son's closet on my head. It was an ordeal. Fast forward, the nurses line said I probably have a concussion and there really isn't anything I can do other than take it easy. She didn't tell me how long I have to take it easy or how long these symptoms would last. I currently have this horrible ocular migraine that if I move my eye/head too quickly or too much, see bright light or watch tv longer than an hour I get really dizzy. I'm miserable. It's not been a week, but shouldn't the pain in my eye/left side of my head be subsiding?

Who had a concussion before? Am I almost over the hurdle and can get back to everyday life? This nonsense is driving me bonkers and sometimes angry. I struggle doing the simplest thing like taking my teenage daughters to the mall without getting dizzy and almost passing out. Or worse, bringing the laundry down the stairs without the room spinning in circles.

This month, between the flu, pneumonia and now a concussion, I'm really learning to slow down and I have to admit, I don't really like being as slow as a sloth when it comes to doing things!
Old 02-25-2018, 09:36 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Aubry got a concussion on the 2nd day of school when a little boy threw a rock at a tree and it ricocheted off and hit her in the head. It bled so much! We took her to urgent care and the nurse said I had to watch her closely for 2-3 weeks. She slept with me every night so I could watch her breathing. They said very minimal screen time, puzzles or games, and even reading because anything that requires a lot of focus will "stress her brain out". When it was too much she'd start feeling nauseous she'd have to take a break. It happened every day during math at school. If the nausea didn't go away after a couple hours that I had to take her back in because it could be swelling on the brain. Fortunately it always stopped after she stopped whatever activity was upsetting her.

It really did take a little more than 2 weeks until she started being able to do school work or normal activities without taking breaks.

I'm going to play the part of momma here and say that you need to listen to your body when it's telling you it's had too much. It's the fastest way you're going to heal and not put yourself at more risk. I hope you're able to slow down and heal up quickly Wendy! Sending you lots of love and prayers!

Last edited by KingsQueen82; 02-26-2018 at 04:04 PM.
Old 02-25-2018, 10:04 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

My yoga instructor at church had a really bad concussion and she had to take it easy for over 6 months. She said she had to be off electronics and couldn't even exercise.

I can get more info from her if you'd like, or even hook you up on FB.
Old 02-25-2018, 11:20 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

You guys are killing me!!

We just watched an episode of Chopped and my eye is completely red and teary. My husband was like "go to bed!" I was hoping someone would come on here and say "oh you know, after a week you feel great!"
Old 02-26-2018, 01:27 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Yes! I have. It hurt and caused some definite brain fog and symptoms for about a month after. I was told to cut out all brainy activity for a week. No screens of any kind, no tv, movies, ipad, cellphone staring, etc. Also no hard brain activities like reading. I found holding a conversation on the phone or in person to be difficult that week. And the headaches were a good sign that sometimes I wasn't resting enough.

Old 02-26-2018, 11:57 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Ugh, they take a while to heal. I have had two. Just be very careful not to bump your head again. If the symptoms don't subside and you're still feeling awful, it doesn't hurt to go and be seen. Make sure nothing more serious happened.
Old 02-26-2018, 03:14 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

It's imperative that you try to rest. Concussion symptoms don't manifest the same in everyone. Some people get fatigued from physical activity, while others are more impacted from thinking, reading, watching TV, etc. I had a concussion a few years ago and it really sucked. The first week was the worst and then it got progressively better. I felt pretty normal after two weeks. Definitely take it easy (easier said than done, I'm sure).

I hope you feel better soon!
Old 02-26-2018, 08:17 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Wendy, here is a blog post about the lady I was telling you about:
https://www.faithfueledliving.com/si...g-the-Hard-Way
Old 02-27-2018, 03:29 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftytam View Post
Wendy, here is a blog post about the lady I was telling you about:
https://www.faithfueledliving.com/si...g-the-Hard-Way
Thank you! I'm off to read that while the little man eats his lunch.

I tried scrapping and it only took me two days to make a cohesive layout!

Today has been a week since it happened and while my eye, left side of my head hurts, I am not in nearly as much pain as I've been. I'm hoping it's getting better. That bright light though really does it in for me. Last night I was able to watch all of The Walking Dead with the family (go me!) but I noticed after it was over, I was exhausted and went to bed for the evening.

I never had one of these before. They are a total pain in the toosh. I have so much I have to do and slowing down seems so foreign!