Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2017, 06:04 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default would you go into space

I know this is kind of a crazy question, but my DD is sort of obsessed by this company that is planning to colonize Mars. Not that she wants to GO to Mars - but she is horrified by the thought of being shot out into space to live on a planet by yourself (or only a few people) and not be able to return. Sort of the premise of the movie, the Martian, I guess - except that these are people who actually WANT to live on Mars.

So, what about you? Would you want to go to space? If so, what would that look like for you -- just a shuttle around earth? a trip to the moon? live on the space station for a while? What if you were to be the first person on Mars and therefore famous forever, but you couldn't return?
Old 07-19-2017, 06:10 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Nah....no desire. Send me to the beach to never return, I'm there though.

Old 07-19-2017, 11:15 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I would go to the moon in a heartbeat but there is no way I would live on Mars or in outer space for any length of time (or permanently).
Old 07-20-2017, 02:30 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

When I was a kid I wanted to be an astronaut... now that I'm older and wiser and realise how complex going into space is and the effects it can have on your body (especially long periods in space), I'm not so keen. A short flight into space like an aeroplane flight where you can see earth below you maybe... if that ever becomes a commercial prospect (not that I could afford it!), but nothing more adventurous than that. Definitely not colonising Mars or anything that means you can't come home!
Old 07-20-2017, 04:40 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Umm......nope. Maybe if it had been operating for many years and was proven viable and safe, but even then, probably not. Why on earth would you give up all we have on this world, for a dry, barren one instead? I have too many creature comforts here to consider leaving.
Old 07-20-2017, 01:45 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Nope. Nope. Nope. Nope. Nope. Nope. Nope.
Old 07-20-2017, 01:51 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm not much a daredevil so space travel seems too scary for me. I get really nervous on airplanes so I don't think I'll be hopping on a rocket any time soon! In theory, I think it would be really cool to go to the moon, though.
Old 07-29-2017, 04:39 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I went to space camp twice as a kid and dreamed of being an astronaut. I would love to go into space, but I couldn't do Mars cause I have a kid.
Old 07-29-2017, 10:38 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I am brave, and I often dreamed of space exploration when I was younger. But honestly, if actually give the chance I could never do it... mostly because although I can dream of it's awesomeness in reality the tight, closed spaces would probably make me go crazy. I would probably become very depressed and even a little psycho. LOL. I need air around me, nature, horizons... and lots and lots of sunlight. I'm not comfortable in tight spaces.

I *could* see myself exploring the depths of the dark ocean in submarines for short spans of time... like a week at a time. At least there is an end in sight... a quicker way out of that environment and back onto land.

Old 07-31-2017, 05:51 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

We talk about this all the time (yes we are nerds). Last year my oldest discovered she could not go in to space and it really messed with her goals after graduation. She would love to go in to space and explore! She's all about space. My husband is just like her and loves all things space. I think if it was like traveling here in the states, I'd lose both my husband and my oldest to space as they are mesmerized by all things space!

My middle, she's like me. It's beautiful, but we like our feet grounded on the earth! We'll stay here on Earth, thank you very much! The youngest, he's 4. While he doesn't understand going into space he wants to be a pilot with the Airforce or maybe Army. But he'd also like to go see the moon. Then again, he's four. So who knows what he really thinks and understands out space! For all I know he just wants to fly his Chinooks really high in the sky. I do know he's expressed that he doesn't want to go past the moon, because then he'd see God in Heaven and he's not ready for that! He's cute and entertaining. <3