Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2012, 08:13 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Default Random Question

What do your kids call you and your husband? Also what do they call their grandparents?

My daughter still calls me Mommy most of the time. Sometimes Mom/Mother if she is annoyed with me LOL. Same with my son. My older son called me Mom for the most part occasionally Mommy would slip though. If he wanted to irritate me or annoy me especially if I did not answer him right away he would say Jessica LOL. Not in a disrespectful way because it made me laugh. Oh and when my daughter was little she called me what all my nieces and nephews did which was Gaga. They could not say Jessica and they called me Aunt Gaga. Even after they could say it the name stuck.

My son calls his dad's mom/dad grandma and grandpa but my daughter and older son called my husbands parents Mi-mi and Grandpop. My mom & stepdad were Nana and Pop-pop. For me growing up it was always Grandma & Grandpa whatever their last name was.
Old 05-31-2012, 08:16 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Nicholas is only 5, so he still calls me Mommy. but I suspect he will go to Mom soon enough. He calls his grandparents Grammie & Grandpa. He specifies the different sets as Grammie & Grandpa from the cows (my step-dad has cows), ...from the hotel (my dad always stays in one when he comes to visit) and ...that is Daddy's mom & dad. Yep, that's what he calls them all and he came up with all of it. I tried many differnet things, but that's what he went with.
Old 05-31-2012, 08:16 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Grandparents are Grandma (then first name) and Grandpa (then first name). The boys called me Mommy and DH Daddy early on, then switched to Mom and Dad. But it's not a complete switch--I still get Mommy sometimes. My youngest has always called me Mama more than anything else, so she alternates between Mama and sometimes Mommy.
Old 05-31-2012, 08:19 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to nun69

mine call me Mom (I call my mom-Mama), my DH dad (my dad passed away so they never knew him), my DH has a mom (they call her Gradnma Karen) AND stepmom(Grandma Lee -her name is Marylee) and my DH's dad -Grandpa...my mom they call Nana....my oldest DD did know my mom's boyfriend and she called him PaPa Pete, but my other kids have never really met him since they line in VA....

I called my grandparents Grandma, Grandad adn their parents (only both odf their mothers were alive when I was growing up and one was called Granny and one Gran.....
Old 05-31-2012, 08:19 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Nikki Epperson

Our kids use...

DH - Dusty (Lane, 16, his stepdad), Daddy (Destiny 12 and Colton 8)
Me - Mom (Lane), Momma Nikki (Destiny, her stepmom), and Mommy or Mom (Colton)

They call my mom Nannie and she is the only active grandparent they have.
Old 05-31-2012, 08:21 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

We are Mama and Daddy... They will probably always call us that bc in the south (at least in Mississippi) you don't hear "mom and dad" too often. Brian and I still call our own parents mama and daddy lol

The kids call my parents Nana and Papaw and Brian's parents are Granny and Paw.

My grandmother is Mamaw to all of us

Last edited by nikkiARNGwife; 05-31-2012 at 08:28 PM.
Old 05-31-2012, 08:22 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Mi-mi for my husband's mom was shortened from Meemaw. She didnt like being called Meemaw.
Old 05-31-2012, 08:25 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I agree Nikki. I still call my dad daddy when I refer to him. I called my mom Mommy for a long time but we stopped talking in 2004. I just wasn't close to her after getting married and moving out. And I love mamaw or meemaw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkiARNGwife View Post
We are Mama and Daddy... They will probably always call us that bc in the south you don't hear "mom and dad" too often. Brian and I still call our own parents mama and daddy lol

The kids call my parents Nana and Papaw and Brian's parents are Granny and Paw.

My grandmother is Mamaw to all of us

Last edited by jessica31876; 05-31-2012 at 08:39 PM.
Old 05-31-2012, 08:31 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Oh gosh......I got a long list. I still call my parents Mama and Daddy like Nikki.

For me:
My step daughters and older adopted kids call me Mama T. Landon and Peanut call me Mama or Mommy. Grand kiddos call me Nonna.

For Steve:
Step daughters call him Daddy. Older adopted kiddos call him Steve. Landon and Peanut call him Dad or Daddy. Grand kiddos call him Papa.

My parents are Mimi and Poppy. My in laws are grandma and grandpa. My grandma is Grandma the Great (instead of great grandma! ha).

Last edited by taracotta7; 05-31-2012 at 08:34 PM.
Old 05-31-2012, 08:33 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to cardinalskate

My 4-year-old is already starting to switch from Mommy to Mom and it's breaking my heart! We're about 50/50 Mommy/Daddy.

As far a grandparents, my Mom is Grandma. My DH's parents are Nana & Papa. Her great Grandma (my grandmother) is Grandma [last name].

My mom always says she prefers to be called "The Queen Mother" as opposed to Grandma LOL
Old 05-31-2012, 08:34 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to emmasmommy

my girls call dh daddy
emma calls me mommy most of the time (sometimes it's just mom) and madelyn calls me mama.

they call they're grandmas "grandma <insert last name here>" and they're grandpas "papa <insert last name here>"

Old 05-31-2012, 08:41 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I'm Mama (DD) or Mommy (DS... he's trying to call me Mom, but I told him I want to be called Mommy or Mama). DH is Daddy.

My parent's are: Grandma (or Gramma) & Grandpa (or Pa) ____ (last name)... we usually don't specify their last name when talking about them since they are local and the kids see them more often.
My in-laws are: Grandma & Grandpa ____ (last name)

Old 05-31-2012, 08:41 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to kscwgirl

I'm mom/mommy/mama or mother if someone is irritated with me.

I call my parents mom and dad.

The kids call my parents grandma and poppa.

My grandparents were nani and boppa.

My cousins' kids call my aunt and uncle (their grandparents) mimi and boppa.
Old 05-31-2012, 08:42 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to pewtertm

Rachel calls me mommy most of the time, unless she is annoyed, and then it's "MOM!" DH is daddy.

I call my mom 'mom'...Rachel calls her 'NiNi' (pronounced NeeNee); she's the only grandparent Rachel knows. DH calls her by her first name. I haven't seen my dad in 20 years, and he is rarely mentioned in our home. If I'm talking about him I basically just say "my father" or "your grandfather/grandpa."
DH's mom was killed when he was a kid; when we are talking about her she is "Grandma Agnes". His father died almost 20 years ago (something like that anyway)...he is rarely mentioned either, and when he is, we just say "your grandpa."
Old 05-31-2012, 08:43 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My boys call me Mommy, even at 9 and 12. Devin calls Andrew, Daddy, and JP calls him Dad (which was his birthday gift to him this year--he'd used Andrew up until then.) He called his father Daddy.

They call my parents Oma and Pop-Pop and Andrew's parents Oma (deceased) and Opa. JP calls Andrew's grandmother Grandma J and Devin calls her J. D is the only great-grandchild she still knows on sight (she turned 100 a couple weeks ago) because he has a special name for her. My grandmother was Grammy to us and to the kids. They don't know my biological material donor or his wife, so they don't get names.
Old 05-31-2012, 09:03 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

This always interests me. I hear so many different references for family members. Its pretty neat.

Me - My son (6) mostly calls me Mommy. My daughter (almost 10) mostly calls me mama. They both use Mom now and then. My step-son (20) calls me Mom or Sherri depending on whether he's talking to me or trying to get my attention. If he's trying to get my attention, its Sherri. When he was little he called me Mommy though.

DH - My son calls him Dada. My daughter calls him Dad or Dada. Now and then they will call him Daddy but not so often. When referring to certain things they'll say Daddy though. My step-son calls him Sean most of the time. He called him 'Daddy Sean' when he was little because his step-dad raised him and he referred to his step-dad as Dad or Daddy.

Grandparents - There are 2 sets of grandparents on DH's side as his parents are divorced and remarried. Both sets are MomMom and PopPop. We put their first name after the title though so we can distinguish which ones are being talked about. We have MomMom Joyce and PopPop Gil and then PopPop Jack and MomMom Pumpkin. Pumpkin isn't her name but my nephew started calling her pumpkin when he was tiny so it stuck and all the kids call her MomMom Pumpkin now. We have lost most of DH's grandparents (so my children's great grandparents) but one was Nannie and one was Nana. The remaining great grandfather is Nelo. On my side the only grandparent left is my mother. She goes by Grandma Bonnie. Her name isn't Bonnie, it's Cheryl. When she first moved to Kansas after my step-dad passed away my daughter was a tiny thing (not quite two) and my mom had a bunch of ferrets. One of them was pretty friendly and my mom would let my daughter hold it. The ferret's name was Bonnie and my daughter started calling my mom Grandma Bonnie. It stuck. She complained about it a time or two but then got offended when they called her Grandma Cheryl and said she liked Grandma Bonnie better. *shrugs*. My grandma, before she passed away, was Grandma Great. She said when she was just a child herself she had heard someone call their great grandma Grandma Great and she loved it. I remembered that and when my daughter came along we started calling her Grandma Great. She wore the title proudly.

DH called his parents Mom and Dad and still does. He called his step-parents by their first names. I call his parents Mom and Dad as well and call his step-parents by their first names.

Me... well, I was adopted by my grandma when I was 11 months old and she raised me. My mother was in and out of the picture over the years. When I was little, up until I was about 10 years old, I called my grandma 'Mama' and I called my mother 'Cheryl'. At that point my grandma encouraged me to start calling my mother something other than her first name. I tried a few different things and finally settled on Mom since people understood it better. It was about that point in time that my cousins started coming along and they got confused when we called Grandma 'Mama' so my brothers and I started calling her 'Grandma'. My aunt started referring to her as Gram or Grammie when talking to her kids so we started calling her the same. Over the years though one of my brothers called her Botton while the other called her Grandma-Daddy. Long story. My DH calls my mom by her first name and he called my grandma, Grand-Mom.
Old 05-31-2012, 09:03 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Avery calls us Mom/Dad unless she's wanting something or being especially lovey, then it's Mama/Daddly.

Landon calls us Mom/Michael. Michael is his father, but he has always called him by his name instead of Dad or Daddy.

They called my parents Grandma Linda nd Papa
Call Michael's mom Grandma (she's the only active grandparent now).

My grandmother insisted they call her GiGi for great-grandma.
Old 05-31-2012, 09:10 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

My daughter said I am going to be Gaga. Which I think is sweet because she knows it was her first name for me and it was my very first nephews name for me although he called me aunt gaga. We are not sure what the baby will call my husband and I think her husbands parents told them what they would like to be called.
Old 05-31-2012, 09:26 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Mommy & Daddy

DH's parents - grandma & grandpa
My parents - gee & papa
Old 05-31-2012, 09:58 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Mommy & Daddy, sometimes Mom for me. My girls call my parents Grammie & Grampie and they call my husband's parents Nanny & Poppy.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:19 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I don't think the boys have ever called me "mommy," but they call Kyle "Daddy." I'm usually mama or mom. My parents are papa and grandma, and Kyle's parents are grandpa and Moe (previous grandkids named her that).
Old 05-31-2012, 10:21 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to hollyxann

Well Kennedy of course hasn't quite decided on her choice of name for me and J lol. Most of the time is "uh-mum-mum-mum" , when she's irritated or trying to get my attention she just yells Ma lol

I call my parents Mom or Mommy or if I need to get my moms attention or I'm irritated I call her Diane (which is her name) lol , my dad is just dad or daddy, and sometimes I call him Marty (his name is Martin) if one of us is in a mood or I need to get his attention.

My mom's parents are Babcha (which is Polish for grandma) I used to call her Momal and my mom's dad is Papiva (lol which is just a made up name I came up with).

My dad's mother was Nannie I didn't really know my grandpa but he was Pap-pap

Now for Kennedy we call my mom Grammy or NeNe, my dad is GT (grandpa Tuna, Tuna is my dad's nickname)
J's parents are Pappy and Grammy Sharon

My stepdaugthers just call me Holly, and of course call J dad

Last edited by hollyxann; 05-31-2012 at 11:02 PM.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:47 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

My 9yo stepson still calls his parents Mommy and Daddy. He's immature for his age, so I imagine he will do it for another 2 or 3 years. He calls me by my first name. I always refer to myself as Mama (which I much prefer over Mommy) when I'm talking to/around DD, but she usually refers to me as Mommy. She calls DH Daddy.

I call my parents Mom and Dad. I call my biological father Daddy when I am around DH or my close friends, and I call him by his first name when I refer to him in front of my parents or family. DH calls his parents Mom and Dad.

The kids call my parents Grandma and Grandpa and my ILs Grammy and Pops. The great-grandmas are Great Grandma, and we've recently 'adopted' my late grandmother's BFF so he is now Great-Grandpa First Name. I always called my grandparents Grandma and Grandpa Last Name growing up. I don't know what DH called his grandparents.

I've already decided that DH and I are going to be Nana and Papa when we have grandkids.
Old 05-31-2012, 11:00 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My kids call us Mom and Dad since they are all older.

My mom is G-Ma and my dad was Papa. My DH's late parents were Grandma and Grandpa. All my mom's other grandchildren call her Grandma so since my kids' other grandmother is gone, they now sometimes call my mom Grandma instead of G-Ma.
Old 05-31-2012, 11:05 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to jocelinsmommy

Lets see for me my DD calls me mommy and her dad daddy or papa

for my mom (I call her girlfriend or mommy or ma) she calls her mammy and my step-dad (currently referred to as first name or "was-dad" considering what's going on otherwise he was "dad") she calls pappy (tho they are going through a divorce) and my birth father is "sperm-donor"

she calls my husbands mom nana and my husbands "step-dad" mr. jerry and
then she has her pawpaw and mawmaw which is my husbands dad and step-mom

then she has my aunt who she calls granny (because my aunt never had children)
my uncle she calls monkey (because he never had children either)

and then my grandparents she calls my grandmother Gra-maine or grandma(which i've called her for years or Me-yah) and my grandpa is just plain grandpa to everyone but me and i call him po po.

All my nieces and nephews call me Aunt RaRa or wawa.

Old 05-31-2012, 11:09 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My girls call me and dh mommy and daddy, but are starting to get into just mom and dad

They call dh's parents Nana and Pawpaw. They call my mom Grammy. All of the grandparents names have been that for a while since my girls are some of the youngest grandkids.

When I'm talking to my mom I still call her mama
Old 06-01-2012, 05:19 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Cheyanne (11) calls me Mom most of the time, sometimes Mumma. Christopher (24) calls me Mom.

She called her father Daddy and probably would still call him Daddy if he were still alive. Christopher called him Dad or Daddy right up until he died.

For my parents they use Grammie and Grampie and sometimes Gram for my mom.
For their paternal grandmother it is Nana. (Their paternal grandfather died 24 years ago so they never knew him).

They called my grandmother Gigi and I called her Nanny.
Old 06-01-2012, 06:00 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to SmallMoments

I am mom. Joel is dad. I get the big ol' eye roll if I even THINK about saying mommy or daddy. And the grandparents are grandma and grandpa. Sometimes either grandpa is Papaw. But we've kind of grown out of that too. *sigh* The kid is too big for his britches sometimes. lol
Old 06-01-2012, 07:06 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Stacey42 Send a message via Yahoo to Stacey42

We're pretty much Mom & Dad at this point but my youngest slips a Mommy & Daddy in from time to time.

They call my parents Pa & Grandma. Don't know why Grandpa got shortened but Grandma didn't but it's pretty much been that way since my oldest could talk & since he is the oldest of the grandkids they all call my parents that now.

DH's parents were both deceased before my kids were born but his nephews & nieces called his mom MeeMa.
Old 06-01-2012, 07:17 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Kids are almost 18, 16 and 12. We're Mom and Dad. Can't even remember the mommy days very well.

My parents are Grandma and Grandpa, unless my kids are being silly and then they're Grammy and Grampy.

My in-laws really wanted our kids to call them Poppy and Grandma. That's what Dan called his grandparents (on his dad's side) and they wanted that tradition to continue. In fact, my in-laws still sign cards to my kids "Love, Poppy and Grandma." My kids have never, ever called them Poppy & Grandma. It's Grandma and Grandpa. Sometimes you can say, "I want my grandkids to call me ______" and it's still not going to happen if the parents don't buy into it. I thought Poppy was silly, so I refused to use it. One of my small triumphs. Now if my kids had started it on their own, that would be different...
Old 06-01-2012, 07:33 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

i'm not a mom yet. but my brother and i (and everyone else, it seems) call my mom "nany" (nah-nee). my niece couldn't say my mom's name, and it came out "nany". and ever since, it's stuck. so we all call her that. i also call her mum every so often. i call my dad "dad" or "daddy", depending on my mood.
my mom's parents are "grama" and "grampa". my dad's father is "grampa" and grampa's wife is "maryanne".

Old 06-01-2012, 08:06 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I am mom, momma, mommy, or mother (trying to get my attention lol)
dad is dad only daddy if they want something lol
my mom is gram, grammie, or grandma
his mother is abuela