Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 05-03-2018, 01:00 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Default NSBR - SAT Scores

I just saw my daughter's SAT scores that were just posted and she's not getting in to Stanford or any of the other Ivy League schools she was hoping for, even though she's #1 in her grade and has been since we moved here. I hate seeing that she's so smart, but didn't test well on the SAT's. I know my husband said she can take it again, but I don't think she'll do that because it stressed her out the first time.

I'm going to have to do some damage control when she gets home from school.

Where's my redo button. I'd like to do this entire day over!
Old 05-03-2018, 01:14 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

If she's #1 in her grade you have nothing to worry about!
It's about her grades, leadership skills, extracurricular activities, etc.

My daughter took the pSAT, SAT, a 30 hour prep class, another SAT, and her SAT score never improved much. It wasn't worth it in our case.

Take her for ice cream! Hang in there......I was just there myself
Old 05-03-2018, 01:38 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjersti View Post
If she's #1 in her grade you have nothing to worry about!
It's about her grades, leadership skills, extracurricular activities, etc.

My daughter took the pSAT, SAT, a 30 hour prep class, another SAT, and her SAT score never improved much. It wasn't worth it in our case.

Take her for ice cream! Hang in there......I was just there myself
She currently has a 4.47 gpa, which is her lowest since we've moved here. She has the grades, but no leadership skills or extracurricular since her extra curricular time is taking college classes and AP classes. The end of this month, she'll have almost 30 college credits under her belt. She's getting another 9 credits this summer and then she's taking almost 30 credits her senior year of school. She's busy with her classes that it leaves no time with other things. When she's not doing that it's appointments related to her health. She wants to volunteer, but at the end of the day she doesn't have any hours to do it because her time at home is studying and her work.

So she was hoping her SAT scores would be high to get her in with her GPA and the fact that she'll be a Junior her first year of real college.

I just checked U of Michigan and even though her SAT scores were lower (she was aiming for a 1440), her grades might get her in to the college. That was her back-up to her many back-ups!

I've been checking all the other colleges that she wanted to apply to and they are all saying the same thing, she needed at least a 1375 or higher.
Old 05-03-2018, 01:46 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

What do the SATs go up to now? Didn't they change from 1600 to something else a few years back?
Old 05-03-2018, 01:49 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

This all sounds so stressful! Things in Canada are really different (probably not all good lol) We don't have SAT tests or anything like that.. If she is #1 will the test marks really make a big thing like not getting into a school?
Old 05-03-2018, 02:42 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

4.47 and 30 college credits? She should apply to Stanford!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverland Scraps View Post
She currently has a 4.47 gpa, which is her lowest since we've moved here. She has the grades, but no leadership skills or extracurricular since her extra curricular time is taking college classes and AP classes. The end of this month, she'll have almost 30 college credits under her belt. She's getting another 9 credits this summer and then she's taking almost 30 credits her senior year of school. She's busy with her classes that it leaves no time with other things. When she's not doing that it's appointments related to her health. She wants to volunteer, but at the end of the day she doesn't have any hours to do it because her time at home is studying and her work.

So she was hoping her SAT scores would be high to get her in with her GPA and the fact that she'll be a Junior her first year of real college.

I just checked U of Michigan and even though her SAT scores were lower (she was aiming for a 1440), her grades might get her in to the college. That was her back-up to her many back-ups!

I've been checking all the other colleges that she wanted to apply to and they are all saying the same thing, she needed at least a 1375 or higher.
Old 05-03-2018, 10:51 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I'm sorry! I can relate--my daughter has such bad test anxiety that she tests way below her ability. She's only 9 now, but I'm dreading what's going to happen when she gets to the point of taking SATs and AP tests. I hope your daughter's academic achievements and obvious intellectual curiosity stand on their own and she's admitted to some of her dream schools regardless of test scores!
Old 05-04-2018, 06:53 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristinCB View Post
This all sounds so stressful! Things in Canada are really different (probably not all good lol) We don't have SAT tests or anything like that.. If she is #1 will the test marks really make a big thing like not getting into a school?
What Kristen said. Here in Canada (or at least Ontario) admission is based on your 6 highest marks in senior level classes at either the Applied level (college) or Academic (university bound). That's to apply as they apply in the fall so some admissions are based on grade 11 marks if they haven't done English or Math that semester of senior year yet. My son applied to college with all Academic level courses so they credited him 10 marks on his average putting him higher than if he had applied to uni.

ETA; not just based on any subjects, there are program requirements, minimum average requirements and subject requirements as well.

Is admission soley based on SAT scores? Sounds like her GPA and college courses taken should be taken into account. Big hugs to both of you as you travel down this next chapter.

Last edited by jaye; 05-04-2018 at 07:04 AM.
Old 05-04-2018, 08:50 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Yikes...this totally resonates, as my daughter will be taking the SAT for the first time tomorrow! I hate that one single test determines so much.

Hope she wasn't too disappointed. Like Kjersti said, ice cream always helps. Hugs, mama!
Old 05-04-2018, 10:35 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Oh Wendy How was she when she got home from school? I hope you were able to calm the storm. She is a very accomplished young lady with amazing grades...and 30 college credits?! Wow!

We're still waiting for my son's SAT scores. They were supposed to be up yesterday, but weren't. He is having to do 4 years of high school in 2 years because the district wouldn't accept any of his homeschool credits!!! He has 12 classes this semester. So, even though he could handle AP and college credit classes, he can't do them because he doesn't have the time for extra work. He's maintaining a 4.0 GPA and we're hoping for good SAT scores.
Old 05-04-2018, 10:40 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm sorry her scores weren't what she was hoping for, but she should still be proud of all she has accomplished this year, and all she has done. There are other colleges, just because those might not accept her score (she could still apply and see what happens), and think of all the debt she is saving herself by not going to one of those more expensive schools. A degree is a degree no matter where it comes from! If she can't get into one of those schools, than it must be God has other plans and that wasn't where He wanted her! She'll figure it out and end up at the perfect college for her!
Old 05-04-2018, 08:37 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I know nothing about the US college system but I didn’t get university entrance from high school but at 25 I got into one of New Zealand’s best universities and at 28 graduated so it is possible to get an education without having the ideal scores or whatever.

Scrappy Instagram

Creative Team Member for The Lilypad & Studio Liv