Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2009, 12:28 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm
Default Need inexpensive decor ideas

So ... I have finally decided that my house needs help. We live on a ranch in the middle-of-nowhere ... dh's dad's ranch ... so we live in an old double-wide trailer. The carpets range in color from puke green to rust orange. The walls are wood paneling, which I kinda like 'cause it gives it a rustic feel. But, the house often seems dark and could definitely use some brightening up. The only thing we've done is buy really nice curtains for the living room to block out sunlight when we watch movies -- but they're dark brown.

Anyway, I need some ideas for adding homey touches without breaking the bank. Every ROOM needs help -- our bedroom, the kitchen, the bathrooms, the living room, the office, etc., etc.

I don't really have a style ... home decorating is so not my thing ... but I love simple!

Any ideas?
Old 09-28-2009, 01:07 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to hollyxann

I have been trying to decorate my house for 3 years now. I get one minor thing done but then I get distracted or something so I never finish.

I just went to Pat Catans bought 3 flat canvas', I think they were $2 a piece. Painted them one color, used the cricut to cut out a stencil and then painted with another color. They turned out really good. I'm going to hang them in our bedroom above the bed.

I have pictures but I need to upload them.
Old 09-28-2009, 01:24 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to LenaGardner

you could do something like this:

It's 9 layouts printed for $2 each at the drugstore, embellished with some old buttons and ricrac, flowers, etc, and painted over and old canvas

It cost me about $50 total but it gives you some other ideas too, that could be cheaper. 1 small canvas is like $5 at the store, and I also paid for 1 hour on the layouts which you could do the slower way

Old 09-28-2009, 01:30 PM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

Oh thats cute Lena!

What is your "style"? Can you show me pics of your area youre wanting to redecorate as well as links of things you like?

Old 09-28-2009, 01:36 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

IKEA.

If you are ever near one GO!

I used a duvet cover ($7) to make curtains for the playroom. They also have great frames for a really good price. And for the office space they have many many different types of boxes and organizational items. We have 3 rooms in our house that are furnished with IKEA stuff. I figured once my boys grow up and stop being so dirty I would get nicer furniture. For now it is durable, washable and affordable. LOL!
Old 09-28-2009, 01:46 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to emmasmommy

I'm with Amanda. I <3 Ikea.

Old 09-28-2009, 01:51 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meghan View Post
Oh thats cute Lena!

What is your "style"? Can you show me pics of your area youre wanting to redecorate as well as links of things you like?
I'm not sure what my style is ... simple ... bold colors ... I love black with colors ... I'll have to do some searching online and post some pics in a bit

I've never been to IKEA ... perhaps I will go online and do some searching (the nearest one is, um, 4 hours away so I won't be able to go in one until next month when I head into town, lol)

Thanks for the suggestions so far! Keep them coming!
Old 09-28-2009, 02:21 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

OK, I hear you on the wood paneling giving a rustic feel, but I have to say that the BEST thing my ex ever did so far as home improvement was to paint the paneling a nice light cream color. Our tiny hovel of a home seemed twice the size after that. (The entire house, including basement, was 792sq ft. and narrow like a trailer.)
Old 09-28-2009, 02:38 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leila View Post
OK, I hear you on the wood paneling giving a rustic feel, but I have to say that the BEST thing my ex ever did so far as home improvement was to paint the paneling a nice light cream color. Our tiny hovel of a home seemed twice the size after that. (The entire house, including basement, was 792sq ft. and narrow like a trailer.)
I think I use the "rustic feel" excuse 'cause I'm too lazy to paint, lol! Maybe if I just pick one room at a time ...

I took a home decor quiz that said my style is "The Modernist" ... whatever that means

I prefer my furniture to be neutral (I plan to recover cushions on our old ugly blue couch in a brownish color) ... but I love colorful pillows, bedspreads, kitchen towels, etc.

Here's some ideas as far as what I like:

Old 09-28-2009, 02:48 PM
Sweets

profile gallery send pm

I've found that decluttering is always my first step in re-decorating. Get rid of anything that you don't truly love (or truly need).

After that, paint is probably the least expensive way to re-do a room. I think paneling would need a special primer first, depending on what its actually made from. White would certainly open things up. I'm not a fan of cream, its either white or taupe/tan for me.

Can you paint any pieces of furniture to give them a new life? Have mis-matched picture frames - spray paint them all black.

Accessories, like small rugs or throws can help change a space. If you've got an ugly couch, a large inexpensive throw can make it less of an eye-sore.

If you can take photos of your space - I think we'll have even more to say!
Old 09-28-2009, 02:57 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Amanda and Laura need to stop with all this talk of IKEA the closest one to me is 5.5hrs away in Frisco, TX I would LOVE to go in there and drop some bucks on stuff for our house!

I agree with Leila on painting over the paneling to lighten things up. You would need to put primer on it first, but you'd be amazed at how much difference it would make especially in a small space. Our living room walls were a dark hunter green (definitely a bad color choice on my part a few years ago lol) and in the last month we repainted the walls a light cream color and it looks SO much brighter and more open and airy than it did before!

I've got a few pictures and things on the walls so far but I am waiting til probably February or March to do more. Our plan is to get new furniture for that room (leaning towards a sofa, chair w/storage ottoman and coffee and end tables) and a new TV when we get our refund. I know I want to get some photos printed on canvas, it was mentioned in a post on The Daily Digi awhile back and so I'm dying to have some printed now!

http://thedailydigi.com/what-to-do-w...-these-photos/
http://thedailydigi.com/an-easy-and-yetealistic-frame/

Another place where I find great decorating ideas is Celebrating Home (used to be called Home Interiors), they have lots of decor ideas in their catalogs and online. And even if you can't afford their stuff it's fun to get ideas and then put together similar looks with stuff you can get at places like Hobby Lobby!
Old 09-28-2009, 03:37 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leila View Post
This was going to be my suggestion too. Paint the paneling a light cream color.
Old 09-28-2009, 04:00 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawna View Post
Amanda and Laura need to stop with all this talk of IKEA the closest one to me is 5.5hrs away in Frisco, TX I would LOVE to go in there and drop some bucks on stuff for our house!
I wish we had one only 4-5 hours away! The closest one to us is the Utah one and that's 9 hours away! I ended up buying a bunch of stuff when I was in CA this summer and just shipping it home, haha. Their photo frames are really cheap though. I got 16 frames for under $100 when I was there.

I agree with painting, it's one of the easiest ways to transform a room. Buying good quality paint and primer, rollers, etc makes it a lot easier too.