Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2016, 02:17 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm
Default Thunderstorms

Do you like them?

It's storming here now, and I totally turn into a little kid when it gets super thunder-y and super lightning-y.

Luckily, it's the middle of the day. I'm so much worse at night.
Old 06-20-2016, 03:47 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I love them. Love love love. But, I live in South Florida, so I kind of *have* to be ok with thunderstorms. Between the months of June and September they are practically a daily occurrence. Afternoons are for thunderstorms with lots of lightning, wind, and buckets of rainfall. If we didn't have them the heat would be intolerable. The best thing is when we have a WHOLE DAY of them and we pretend it's a winter snow storm and stay inside where it's comfy and dark, play board games or watch movies and cancel all of our plans. Falling asleep to a bit of rain is nice, but being woken in the middle of the night to a loud crack of lightning is NOT fun, I will admit.

Old 06-20-2016, 04:38 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Tracyfish Send a message via Yahoo to Tracyfish

Yep, daily...but I love them when I don't have outside plans.

Old 06-20-2016, 04:55 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

More of the same here, pretty much daily. For us it's rare to have a whole day, like Brook said. Mostly just little storms that pass quickly and give us much needed rain.
Old 06-20-2016, 05:49 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

We rarely have a full day, either, but when we do it's kind of nice. They usually come and go any time of the day, but especially afternoons. It's tricky to make outdoor plans pretty much all summer!

Old 06-20-2016, 06:13 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I love them too - here in Maine in the mountains (where we live during the summer months) they are very common occurrence too. I love to sit on the front porch (screened) and watch them come in across the lake and then bounce off the mountains and come back around. You can see it pouring on one side of the lake and just watch it come closer and closer. The thunder echoes off the mountains too and is super cool
Old 06-20-2016, 08:12 PM
Babe Lead

profile gallery send pm

We are having thundershowers this week here in Beijing and I am grateful for them! It's been soooo hot here that some rainfall is very much appreciated! I love the smell of the rain and the light up of the sky when it's dark enough to see the lightning. The sounds... as long as it's not too loud, I am fine with it
Old 06-20-2016, 10:07 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Praying for thunderstorms/lightning/rain/ANYTHING at this point..well not "anything" LOL...been soooooooooooooooooooooo hot, I was starting to think I was back in Phoenix today! blech!

Love thunderstorms, by the way. I am scared of wind...due to being in two tornadoes in my lifetime.
Old 06-21-2016, 12:46 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I love lightning...and the heavy rains that usually go with it.... I could watch it all day.... thunder on the other hand I am terrified of!!! Terrified enough that my knees lock up about 20 minutes before the first clap of thunder can be heard. I used to work at an outdoor amusement park, and when a storm was headed our way I was their first priority to get off the ride I was operating and inside to safety as they knew I'd be unable to move once it got close. I think the fact that my body gives out is more scary than what is actually happening.... either way I just do not like Thunder.
Old 06-21-2016, 12:55 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Love them. We get some big monsoon storms in the summer and, living in the Phoenix area, rain is always something to celebrate.
Old 06-21-2016, 01:08 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

It seemed that when I was a kid we would just nice, normal thunderstorms... then now as an adult, it seems that every thunderstorms comes with a Severe Thunderstorm with 60+ mile winds, damaging hail, killer lightening and possible tornados. *sigh* That, I can do without... plus I live in a city where a cloud shifts and they are sounding the tornado sirens... we had a tornado/straight line winds come through a few summers back (radar didn't show that bad of a storm... the storm spotters didn't see anything) and they didn't sound the sirens. The head weather person for the county lost her job, so now they are super cautious.
Old 06-21-2016, 02:42 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to pewtertm

I have always loved thunderstorms. Listening to the thunder and rain is relaxing to me. After moving to the OKC area, however, means a much higher risk of tornadoes, so those storms aren't always as enjoyable.
We are in the Moore school district, and the schools that were hit in 2013 are just a few miles from our house. There are quite a few students in her school that are traumatized from their experience...when it is storming, no matter the risk, you will find kids crying in a way that I'd not experienced before 2013. Parents too...if it's storming it's not unusual for half of the student body to be checked out of school early. With the district now in the process of building storm shelters in every school, perhaps that will change.
Old 06-21-2016, 02:51 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I like them ok if I'm in the house all cozy. Sort of have mixed feelings, though, because my great grandmother was killed by lightning as she was closing her kitchen window.

We try to have a healthy respect for lightning (although we are not perfect) and stay out of bathrooms, kitchen, laundry during a storm. Back when we had corded phones we would always stay off the phone. It was not uncommon to have a family member say "we're getting a storm. quick. gotta hang up." Or if we were getting a storm my mom would yell, "get off the phone!" I'm guessing we wouldn't take it so seriously if we hadn't lost my great grandmother to lightning.

Last edited by scrap2day; 06-21-2016 at 02:58 PM.
Old 06-21-2016, 05:04 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

When I was a child, I was terrified of them. As I grew a little older, I remember my brother and I "showering" in the storm on our patio. no we weren't naked or anything, just pretending to shower with the rain downpouring. I also remember laying on the patio, looking up at the rain and lightening while listening to the thunder.

Now that I'm an adult, I LOVE sitting outside my porch watching the rain and storms come by. I love the smell of the rain. I love listening to the thunder and lightening talk to one another. I love the beauty that it brings.

Yeah, I might be a little strange. I enjoy a good thunderstorm and miss seeing them in our new location.
Old 06-21-2016, 05:07 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrap2day View Post
I like them ok if I'm in the house all cozy. Sort of have mixed feelings, though, because my great grandmother was killed by lightning as she was closing her kitchen window.

We try to have a healthy respect for lightning (although we are not perfect) and stay out of bathrooms, kitchen, laundry during a storm. Back when we had corded phones we would always stay off the phone. It was not uncommon to have a family member say "we're getting a storm. quick. gotta hang up." Or if we were getting a storm my mom would yell, "get off the phone!" I'm guessing we wouldn't take it so seriously if we hadn't lost my great grandmother to lightning.
I cannot imagine losing your grandmother that way!! I'm so sorry!!

When we had corded phones, we used to stay off them as well. I still to this day do not allow anyone in the bathrooms during a storm. Just the other day it was thundering (heat storm), and my 3-year old was begging for a bath. I told him it had to wait until it was done so he didn't get struck through the water. My husband thinks I'm crazy with how careful I am inside the house during a storm, but I know it's for our own safety.