Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-2011, 05:44 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm
Default PSD vs. TIFF

Just a curious question, in this thread some of you mention using Tiff in stead of PSD.

What is the difference?

I have always been using PSD, never considered Tiff as an alternative
Old 01-10-2011, 05:50 PM
Just a Scrapper

profile gallery send pm

For those using Photoshop, .tiff is an alternative file. It saves to a smaller file than .psd when used correctly (must have the LSW and zip checked). It is just as safe to use as .psd and there are no degrading issues over time. For those running into memory issues, it's a viable alternative to saving some immediate big space.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:23 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I use photoshop so I save everything as TIFF because it saves a lot of room. I just delete PSD and PNG files when I but templates. I also save my layouts as TIFF because I am always worried I will need a layered file sometime in the future. With TIFF files I can also see a preview of the file in the folder.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:25 PM
Brodo gettin her Swerb on

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to ColleenSwerb

I went 100% tiff over a year ago. I don't have space issues, but who doesn't like smaller files? Lol! Especially since there is zero difference between the 2 in terms of quality.
I'm also a person who likes to browse her stash using windows explorer. It won't display a preview of a PSD, but it WILL display the preview for a tiff. So that was another nice bonus for me.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:59 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Hate to sound dumb, but y'all have me intrigued with this whole TIFF vs. PSD talk. This is the first conversation I've ever seen about it, and it sounds like I've goofed by deleting all the TIFF files (yep, to save space!) when I download my files. I didn't figure I needed two different versions of layered files & PSD is what I "learned" - so the others have been getting tossed.

Anyway, this is good info to have - but I just want to make sure I'm clear on a couple of things before I change the way I do business - lol!
  • Are all the processes you use with a PSD (Resize, Save for Web, etc.) pretty much identical with a TIFF?
  • Would it make sense to just save all my PSD files as TIFFS as I use them? I can't imagine why anybody wouldn't want to save space.
(I use PSE as opposed to Photoshop and a Mac instead of a PC in case that affects the answers, although I can't imagine why it would.)

Thanks so much!!

My Blog: Quantum Leaps
Old 01-10-2011, 08:02 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to suze

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColleenSwerb View Post
I went 100% tiff over a year ago. I don't have space issues, but who doesn't like smaller files? Lol! Especially since there is zero difference between the 2 in terms of quality.
I'm also a person who likes to browse her stash using windows explorer. It won't display a preview of a PSD, but it WILL display the preview for a tiff. So that was another nice bonus for me.
main reason I use it!! I would be 100% tiff, but not all designers do it.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:50 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by suze View Post
main reason I use it!! I would be 100% tiff, but not all designers do it.
That's one of the reasons I was asking about the psd's we have, Suze. Since you can save to a new file type from within PS & PSE, I'm wondering if it would be worthwhile - and wouldn't corrupt the files somehow - to open the psd files in your program of choice and then save them as tiff's.

Old 01-10-2011, 08:54 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I resave any psd files I have as a tiff file when I use them (older templates, any psd file that's included in a kit, etc). It doesn't hurt the file at all, and does save space. I've converted about 80% of all my psd templates and files to tiff. And now when I download and they include both, I delete the psd files instead.

Old 01-10-2011, 09:27 PM

profile gallery send pm

Yea, I created a "save as tiff" action to run in PS. For instance, Janet's tempates are all PSD's. So I run the action on the entire folder (I use the batch process), and then delete the psd's.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:13 AM
Just a Scrapper

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepounds View Post

Anyway, this is good info to have - but I just want to make sure I'm clear on a couple of things before I change the way I do business - lol!
  • Are all the processes you use with a PSD (Resize, Save for Web, etc.) pretty much identical with a TIFF?
  • Would it make sense to just save all my PSD files as TIFFS as I use them? I can't imagine why anybody wouldn't want to save space.
Yes, your processes are all the same - doesn't effect anything for it to be a .tiff file instead of .psd
I convered everything to .tiff a couple of years ago when I made the switch. There are few .psd files in my system. As I get a new 'thing' that includes a .psd file, I convert it immediately, not waiting until I use them, but upon unzipping.
Old 01-11-2011, 06:48 PM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

I was wondering about this myself, glad I stumbled upon this thread!
Old 01-11-2011, 09:06 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Baldwin View Post
It saves to a smaller file than .psd when used correctly (must have the LSW and zip checked).
A couple more quick questions re: ^. This is a screenshot of the default settings on my Mac for the TIFF options menu.

• For just a standard save, are the LZW & zip the only things I need to change?
  • Would there be a time when I should be using different settings?
  • Since I'm on a Mac, should I click that Byte Order box, or does it matter?
Sorry to be such a pain! I know a good majority of you work in Photoshop and on PC's - and I don't know how different the options are for you. In any case, I REALLY appreciate all your help!

P.S.: btw, I saved a couple of files already just checking the LZW & Zip options. Then I went to the More Info in Finder to compare sizes, etc. Definitely makes a difference in size & the only thing other difference I can find is that the individual layer info and anything I list in notes, etc. aren't there. I'm assuming it's that sort of data that gets zipped, which is probably why the file is smaller.

Old 01-11-2011, 09:12 PM
Just a Scrapper

profile gallery send pm

for you, it would be LZW, MAC & Zip. Never another reason to change them to something else.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:20 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Thank you, Darcy! I now have a new project to do in my spare time (ha!) . . . converting all my PSD files to TIFFs. And I assure you that I won't be tossing any more TIFFs when I download them.

Old 01-11-2011, 10:28 PM

profile gallery send pm

Dee, write yourself an action! It's easy to do, google it.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:28 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

No need to write an action if you have PSCS3. I think it also works in CS2, but I don't know about more current versions or it is an option in PSE.

This is a quick and easy way to convert groups of psd files to tiff files. There is a script that comes standard with PSCS3 that will do it for you.

1. First off put all of the psd files you want to convert into one folder (no other type of files should be in there... no jpegs, no pngs, etc.). Just the psd files you want to convert. You can name the folder anything you want -- doesn't matter. *Remember where you have put this new folder... you will need to locate it later.*

2. In Photoshop at the top left hand side of your workspace click on File -- then choose Scripts -- then choose Image Processor.

A box like this will pop up:

How to fill it in (yours should end up looking very similar to mine -- with the exception of the folder location)

Section 1. Click on "Select Folder" and find where you saved your psd files. You can browse and find it.

Section 2: Choose save in same location (this is just what I do... you can save them wherever you want).

Section 3: Check mark "Save as TIFF" then check mark: "LZW Compression"

Section 4: Leave everything unchecked.

CLICK RUN (top right hand side of box)

Photoshop will open each psd file and resave it as a TIFF file in a subfolder in the folder you made at the beginning. Depending on how many psd files you are converting (and how large they are) it can take a while. I normally try not to do more than around 10 to 15 at a time (depending on the speed of your computer).

When it is done you will have all of your psd files saved as TIFF files in a brand new folder. I usually move them over to the original folder where the psd files were before I moved them. For some reason I never seem to trust it completely... so I open up each TIFF file to make sure all of the layers are there. They always are! Then I delete all of the psd files.

Easy peasy... especially when you get the hang of it. You can set it to do 15 or so -- and then go get a cup of coffee or start a load of laundry -- and by the time you get back it is done.

Eva

Eva Kipler
BLOGSWEET SHOPPE STORE TWITTER FACEBOOK FAN PAGE NEWSLETTER SIGNUP

♥ SNAG IF YOU ARE A FAN! ♥ ------------->
Old 01-12-2011, 01:29 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Oh wow - y'all are just the BEST!! Thanks to everyone so very much for all this terrific info . . . now if I only had CSanything.

LOL - I'm guessing that calls for a separate thread so as not to muddle things too much. But I seriously appreciate all the help - this most definitely is the SWEET Shoppe!

Old 01-12-2011, 06:10 AM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

I also value your respond to this thread, too

I have a lot of work to do now, and appreciated the script Eva mentioned. Hopefully it works in CS5.

Thank you.
Old 07-12-2017, 08:54 AM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

Oh wow! This is an interesting idea! Do you think saving as a tiff file will help with files that are too large to save? For some reason certain templates that I use eventually become files that PSE does not want to save because of the file size. For some I have even simplified all smart objects and the file is still too big to save. It gets frustrating when you have worked so hard on something you can't save. lol!
Old 07-12-2017, 10:15 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinahfig View Post
Oh wow! This is an interesting idea! Do you think saving as a tiff file will help with files that are too large to save? For some reason certain templates that I use eventually become files that PSE does not want to save because of the file size. For some I have even simplified all smart objects and the file is still too big to save. It gets frustrating when you have worked so hard on something you can't save. lol!
Really? I've never had PSE tell me that a file is too large to save...so strange! It's worth a shot though. I always save as a tiff to save space.

Oh...ETA...the only time it tells me that is if I forget to flatten my tiff before saving for web. It will give me a warning first then I know that I've forgotten a step.

Old 07-12-2017, 10:28 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I used to used psd first .tilk some one mentioned that tiff saves space.i start using tiff.
It works just the same
Old 07-12-2017, 10:42 AM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

That is strange! I don't know what makes my psd files so huge but I like to keep the layered files in case I have changes or anything. But also, if it's a work in progress I need to save the layers. PSE just doesn't like large psd files for some reason. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrie1977 View Post
Really? I've never had PSE tell me that a file is too large to save...so strange! It's worth a shot though. I always save as a tiff to save space.

Oh...ETA...the only time it tells me that is if I forget to flatten my tiff before saving for web. It will give me a warning first then I know that I've forgotten a step.
Old 07-12-2017, 11:07 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinahfig View Post
I used to get that "larger than 2GB error" all the time in PSE! It's usually b/c I have a bajillion paper layers. I switched to TIFF and now I never get that error.
Old 07-12-2017, 04:13 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I don't have a space issue, but decided to go TIFF when we lost the capability to view PSD files...not sure if this has changed because I use an iMac and can see both files now. I just delete all the psd and png files when I get something new.
Old 07-12-2017, 05:13 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I only use TIF's and have no problem with layers and going back to edit (I sometimes notice a mistake in my journaling or I decide I don't like where I placed something).
Old 07-12-2017, 07:04 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

For those still using PSD files you can download Pictus to be able to view the PSD files in Windows. You can get it here

https://poppeman.se/pictus/

I use PSP so I cannot use TIFF files. So Im stuck with PSD.

Dreaming of creating for Cindy Schneider, Studio Flergs & Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 07-13-2017, 12:28 AM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

I been deleting the tiff files away ugh I wished I would have been paying attention to them. Glad I checked this out!
Old 07-13-2017, 12:46 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Does anybody have suggestions for settings in PS CC? I feel like I tried saving as tiff a while back and the files actually turned out bigger!
Old 07-13-2017, 08:11 PM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

Awesome!! Thanks so much!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsQueen82 View Post
I used to get that "larger than 2GB error" all the time in PSE! It's usually b/c I have a bajillion paper layers. I switched to TIFF and now I never get that error.