Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 07-03-2018, 11:35 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Default Disney albums are overwhelming!

We went to Disney 2 years ago, and I came home all fired up to start scrapping our trip. But of course there were 50 bajillion photos, so I organized them into folders by park and then cowered in fear, doing nothing with them. Earlier this year I committed to tackling the photos and scrapbooking. I decided what pages my album would have, and I sorted the photos by page, finally deleting the ones I wasn't going to use from my "To Scrap" folder. I did a couple of layouts, then nothing for months and months.

We just booked another Disney trip, and I'm determined to have trip #1 done before we go on trip #2. One of my problems was that I was trying to be too minimalistic--I wanted to keep it to a 20-page photobook, but I just can't pare my photos down enough. So I've given myself permission to do more. But now I really need to GET STARTED. Any tips? I think part of my hang up is that the trip was so special that I feel like the layouts need to be special, too. I'm planning to do traditional digital layouts for the best photos and pocket pages for most of the rest.

Last edited by rach3975; 07-03-2018 at 11:38 PM.
Old 07-03-2018, 11:58 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I completely understand! What if you did the 20 pages like you planned and then photo album like pages or photo collages.
Another problem I have is making them look different since we go every other year or so.
Old 07-04-2018, 01:10 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

It took me FOREVER to finish our 2015 Disney trip (still have a 2006 and a 2011 unfinished and have a 2017 and a 2018 trip now to scrap too!).

I like to include ALL the details. I wanted my book to be uniform and flow well so I decided on pocket pages. I wanted to use some of the kit pieces/cards as much as I wanted to use the photos so I plotted out each page based on how many vertical photos and journal cards and how many horizontal photos and cards I wanted to use. I made a folder of each event at Disney and labeled them (6v, 8h) for example and then chose a template to fit that. I hope that makes sense. I did a lot of prep work but once I started getting the photos in place it was smooth going!

Here's my album if it helps you with any ideas! (Sorry it's not SSD product... I love me some Project Mouse and can't help buying all the pieces but the #BIM kits would work beautifully too!)

https://www.facebook.com/cassie.king...7500216&type=3
Old 07-04-2018, 02:02 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

It's not Disneyland, but after a big road trip once, I just wanted to get the photos scrapped. I chose a minimalistic style and ended up doing 44 pages in something like 4 days. Couldn't believe it. I love how the album turned out too. So clean and crisp. The focus is all on the photos and journalling. If I were you I'd do something like that for your first trip, then for the 2nd trip photos, have fun and use all the Disneyland scrapbook kits and scrap it more traditionally.

Old 07-04-2018, 06:30 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

It took me eight years to get the first one done, but the next one went pretty quickly. I had a list of rides/moments that I wanted to scrap, and would just choose one every now and then depending on my mood. It was still fun for me to do without the stress.

Good luck!
Old 07-04-2018, 06:50 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I tend to go minimalist for big trips too. I took thousands of photos on a trip to Central Australia a couple of years ago. Like you I narrowed them down to the ones I wanted to include and was going to try to limit the book to 40-50 pages. I was so overwhelmed and didn't know where to start! I soon realised that 40-50 pages was impossible and as the trip was so special (and the landscapes so spectacular) I decided I'd just make as many pages as it took.

It ended up being nearly 100 pages and included 600-700 photos. I wanted to feature some of my favourite photos so made them fill whole pages. Other pages I fitted 10-15 photos plus journalling. I used little collage cards to fit more photos in some places. I added a few embellishments here and there (mostly from just 2-3 kits - I repeated some of the flowers, leaves, etc throughout the book), scanned some souvenirs (e.g. plane tickets) and included those and used the same 4-5 papers to background fill journal spaces, etc throughout the book to have some consistency. It took me about a month, only working on it here and there when I had time, and it nearly killed me! But I was so happy with it when it was all finished and printed!

Here are a few random pages:

Old 07-04-2018, 07:25 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Jacinda and Kim-- I love your travel album pages!
I try to limit myself sometimes to a certain number of pages, but I'm always unhappy with the results in the end. So I let myself make as many as I want, trying to edit and curate the photos so it's not TOO much. But I kinda like having a bit of too much, so my albums are usually huge. Do what makes you happy. If you at least get the pages made, you can get them printed when circumstances allow.

Old 07-04-2018, 10:07 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

SO overwhelming, I agree! When I did ours, I used Cindy's Mega 2 Universal Album and deleted all of the elements, so it was just papers, cards, pictures & words (and stitching, I think). It took me over fifteen hours of work to get my photos edited and placed in the pages, but I did it all while I was traveling, so it didn't seem so overwhelming.

Your plan to scrap your favorite photos and put the rest in pocket pages sounds like a good plan. You could spend half an hour a day working on it so that little by little you get it done.

Here's my album: Disney 2014
Here's a sample

Old 07-04-2018, 12:03 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I have almost 15 years of photos as a DIsneyland annual passholder that I need to scrap!! I've done some here & there, but I would LOVE to have them all scrapped!!

Cassie, your Disneyland album is AMAZING!! It's so inspiring!

Jacinda, I am in AWE of this! I absolutely love the simpler style focusing on photos and journaling. I really need to re-think my strategy for older photos because this would work so much better and get them done!

Oh my goodness, Kim!!! These pages are fantastic! Again, focusing more on photos & journaling.

Kellie, what an awesome idea!! I never thought about just deleting the elements!

Thank you all for these wonderful ideas and inspiring LOs!!
Old 07-04-2018, 01:17 PM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

I have photos to scrap from our trip in 2005 and 2011 to scrap. I've finished some pages but still have more to do. Good luck getting that inspiration to finish your book.
Old 07-04-2018, 01:27 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I have found that I sporadically scrap Disney layouts here and there throughout the months, BUT I tend to scrap the most Disney layouts when MouseScrappers host their Scrapping Marathon. You scrap 20+ layouts in a weekend's timeframe using their prompts. You could always go back through last year's prompts and see if any of them spark creativity?

For me, I have all my photos organized by day and in various folders. I just start going through them and scrapping. But unlike you I won't print until I get 100 layouts so I have some time before I can print. I think I'm currently at 44 layouts and it's been since Jan 2016
Old 07-05-2018, 01:35 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I just finished printing our last Disney trip! I waited until Shutterfly had their flat rate sale- you can print up to 100 pages (or a few more?) per album! That really helped! I had to print basically 1 per day of our trip- all 4 parks, MVMCP.

My advice, start using the Bingo prompts here at SSD to get those pages scrapped! I find my Disney pages usually take a long time to scrap also, because I want them to be perfect! But that's ok. As long as I am aware of that, I feel better taking so long! Another word of advice- organize your Disney products. Mine are organized by character/theme/park etc. (Adventure/zoo, Frontier/Toystory, Space/Buzz, Each princess, Travel, World-Epcot, Pirate/fairy, Fantasy/Wonderland, Fab Five, Disney general) Plus any others you can think of. This really helps when you are scrapping any page, so that you can quickly see what supplies/kits you have to use. There are some supplies that I actually save in multiple folders also.

My goal was to have our Disney trip scrapped/printed in time for our next trip. I just finished printing the last albums from that trip....and our next trip isn't until Nov 2019! So my issue now, is finding everyday Disney moments I can still scrap!

I have one more piece of advice for you...and it will come in the form of a PM!
Old 07-05-2018, 07:36 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Thanks for the ideas and suggestions, everyone! Jacinda, Kim, and Kellie--those are beautiful albums! (Cassie--I couldn't see yours yet, so I sent you a friend request.) I hope mine comes out half as well.

I spent some time today loading photos and Believe in Magic cards onto my tablet to use for quick pocket pages, and tonight I'm going to start working on the traditional digi pages for my favorite photos. I'm going to try to keep it simple with just a handful of embellishments per page, but we'll see if I succeed in that.
Old 07-07-2018, 08:29 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to newfiemountiewife Send a message via Yahoo to newfiemountiewife

We went in 2015, and I started scrapping my book. I was determined I was going to get it done before we went again. 2017 rolls around and we went again, without my first book done. I do not recommend doing this, so I would try to get it done if you can! I just recently started my first book again (I have it about half done), because we are going again soon, and I cannot handle trying to remember 3 trips lol!
Old 07-07-2018, 09:21 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

This is ours from Keira's Make a Wish trip in 2012.
https://www.facebook.com/vanessa.arm...7358424&type=3

And I'm slowly making my way through our trip from this year.
https://www.facebook.com/vanessa.arm...7358424&type=3

I have to sit down and do a rough plan of my pages, because I like everything to match. LOL!