Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2010, 09:10 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Default new weight watchers program?

Is anyone doing weight watchers and able to give me sort of a run down of the new points info etc? I'm thinking about starting up again online (probably wait till the new year) but was just curious if its better? worse?
Old 12-06-2010, 09:21 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm an online WW member, but haven't looked at the "new" program yet though. I'll need a buddy!!
Old 12-06-2010, 09:25 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I do it online. I have looked at it. I get a TON more points a day and am not really sure how this is going to work out. Like for real, after eating all the normal foods I eat in a day, I had to many points left I had to eat ice cream with chocolate syrup, chocolate chips and Oreos on it. No joke. I did have to do similar things when I was nursing, but I lost well on it then. My being a vegetarian might affect that though, I eat a lot of fruits and veggies which are all 0 points now.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:50 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Interesting to hear, Mari. I was looking at it, too, and thinking I'd get fewer points than I used to since fruits and veggies are 0. I'm a vegetarian and eat a lot of fruits and vegetables, too. In theory I'd love to have more points, but I wonder if I'd lose with more.Then again, I lost best with it when I was nursing and getting 10 extra points a day.

I might start up again to try the new program, but I have to get my thyroid tested first and hopefully get on meds.

Last edited by rach3975; 12-06-2010 at 09:52 PM.
Old 12-06-2010, 10:23 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to newfiemountiewife Send a message via Yahoo to newfiemountiewife

I lost best when I was nursing and had the 10 extra points as well. I was thinking about restarting too.
Old 12-06-2010, 10:41 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm rejoining on Wednesday. From what I've read you get more points but proteins and carbs are also higher points now too. You can't use the same calculator to calculate points anymore and with recipes from WW you have to recalculate points using the nutritional information because the old points don't work any more. I'll give you a better run down on Thursday.
Old 12-06-2010, 10:51 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I haven't been back to a meeting, bad Vanessa. I joined at the wrong time of year this go around. I lost 8 pounds in 2 weeks and got sick. And then Halloween came.

The new program you do get more points, all fruits are 0 points now and so are most veggies, not including starchy ones. And You don't calculate calories anymore, its Fat, Carbs, Protien and Fiber.
Old 12-06-2010, 11:14 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I was thinking about joining again after the new year as well. The new program has me intrigued.
Old 12-06-2010, 11:30 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to BrattyMeg

Amazon has a cookbook with the newp oints system on presell..

also I read that it'll make you want to choose better foods..like 100 calories of cookies will be more points than 100 calories of lean meat, etc...and brown/wheat starches will have less points than white/flour starches. Potatoes and other starchy veggies (corn andp peas for sure) aren't free anymore.

The minimum amount of Points is said to be 29 Points, but you also get a weekly allowance of 49 Points as "Real Living" Points to be used on snacky stuff, alcohol, party type foods (shrug)

also..I think you have to buy the calculator to calculate the new point system. Smart marketing tool for WW (until somebody calculates and posts points on a blog somewhere lol)

I think maybe..they are going toward the greeny superfoods (spinach, kale, romaine) and lean meats and taking the focus off the carbs..somewhat atkinslike IMO

I don't know that they needed to revamp...seems the old system worked well and this new one seems like a headache. It might be nice though. I don't think people are necessarily getting MORE points..since some foods will have a higher point value than before.

~~Click Here~~
to visit my shoppe
Old 12-07-2010, 12:14 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I am doing WW right now. So I can give you the low down on the new program.

The basics: All points are now based on protein, fiber, carbs and fat. There is no way to really "look" at the label on the food and know how many points it is going to be. The bare minimum points is 29. You never drop below that. You cannot figure your own points with a formula like you used to - it is based on height, weight and age. To give you an idea, I am still 30 pounds over my "ideal" weight, and I only get 29 points. I have already lost 17 pounds, but am struggling a little with this new plan.

If you are nursing full-time, you get 14 extra points. If you are supplementing with formula or solids, you get 7 extra points.

You get 49 weekly points to use as you choose.

All fruits are 0 points, most veggies are 0 points - but not corn, peas, potatoes and any other starchy veggies.

I would say the "calculator" is an absolute necessity. I use the calculator way more than the books. It is only $6.95 and is worth it! You plug in the protein, fiber, carbs and fat and it tells you how many points it is worth. You can also tell it to use those points or not and if you go over your daily allowance, it automatically takes the points from your weekly 49. You reset it each week. Makes tracking very easy!

Also, if you have cookbooks from the old program, I have been told that they are going to be putting the points conversions on the web so you can still use your old cookbooks.

We do WW at work - my work pays for half. Some of the gals are convinced that this is just a money making scheme by WW and a scheme to not get you to loose weight as fast. The longer it takes you to loose, the more money they make. I haven't decided yet what I think...it is definitely a change!

If you have any other specific questions, feel free to ask or PM me if you want!
Old 12-07-2010, 12:19 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlirtatiousBrat View Post
I don't know that they needed to revamp...seems the old system worked well and this new one seems like a headache. It might be nice though. I don't think people are necessarily getting MORE points..since some foods will have a higher point value than before.
This is totally correct. It seems like you get more points, but most foods are worth more points. Like the WW yogurt for instance - was 1 point and is now 2. I eat oatmeal for breakfast - was 3 before, now is 4 or 5 depending on the variety. And the WW mini snack bars - were 1 point before and now are 2 points each.
Old 12-07-2010, 12:27 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to BrattyMeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaacsmom View Post
This is totally correct. It seems like you get more points, but most foods are worth more points. Like the WW yogurt for instance - was 1 point and is now 2. I eat oatmeal for breakfast - was 3 before, now is 4 or 5 depending on the variety. And the WW mini snack bars - were 1 point before and now are 2 points each.
I also noticed..a lot of the WW meal pkgs have been on sale..I assume to roll out a new point value pkging. I like a few of the desserts and got some when they were marked down

~~Click Here~~
to visit my shoppe
Old 12-07-2010, 03:02 AM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

I just joined (again) this past week and the concept is still the same, point counting, but they are using more/updated things to figure out the points....We as a society has learned a lot over the last 13 years (when the point system was put in place originally) and I think it was time they updated "the process"....

They will inturn sell more products, but it was a huge risk for them too! I personally don't think it was/is a gimmick to make more money!

I think in the end they are trying to push/get you to choose the better for you foods, not just low in calories!

GOOD LUCK!
Old 12-07-2010, 03:07 AM
Administrator

profile gallery send pm

I lost 40 lbs last time I was on WW, the plan worked really well for me. I'm going back when Finn is born and I'm not excited that they changed things. I'll try it for a few weeks and if it's not as good, I'll probably just use my tools from before and do it on my own...
Old 12-07-2010, 11:23 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I've always done WW on my own (well, except for the first time 20 years ago), but I'm liking the idea of fruits being 0 points. I need to go back on after the first of the year since I gained some weight this year from being old. :P

Thanks for the info!
Old 12-07-2010, 12:10 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I am on WW and do the new PointsPlus program. The only real difference is that some foods are higher in points whereas some are lower in points. For instance, bananas used to be two points on the old program, now they are 0; however oatmeal used to be three points and now it's four. You also get more activity points for your activity. I now get four points for my walking, whereas I used to get two.

The new program doesn't have you count the calories when computing points. It's now - total fat, carbs, protein, and fiber.

That being said, it's been a full week since it launched and I've lost seven pounds. I really like the program a lot. You do get more points and that was a little hard for me to get used to - but it evens out with some of my favorite foods going up in points.
Old 12-07-2010, 12:16 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlirtatiousBrat View Post
also I read that it'll make you want to choose better foods..like 100 calories of cookies will be more points than 100 calories of lean meat, etc...and brown/wheat starches will have less points than white/flour starches. Potatoes and other starchy veggies (corn andp peas for sure) aren't free anymore.
I have been on it for a week and this is absolutely true! I have been finding I don't want to spend my points on things I used to. I used to eat an occasional snickers for 7 points, but now I find that I would rather eat something else and save my points.

Also, potatoes and corn were never free foods. I used to use between 2-4 points on potatoes and 2 on corn.
Old 12-07-2010, 12:57 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to LenaGardner

congrats on this week's loss Paula! That's awesome!

I love WW and have done every plan they've ever offered LOL. My favorite was always Core, which they have discontinued, and the one thing I love about this new plan is that it seems to incorporate Core and Points together, like a meshing of the Momentum plan. It's neat, really.

I don't know how it's going to work for me, yet, as I just signed up less than a week ago. I paid for a 3 month online membership up front though, so I took a leap of faith that I'll love the new program.

I love fruit (and don't love being stuffed) so I think the basic changes will work for me!

When I was doing Core I had to learn to stop eating before full so I think that will be the big hurdle for the masses (myself included).

The one thing I have found though, is that I haven't dipped into my AP or flex points at all...last night I ate a 3 musketeers even to use my last 7 points of the day!
Old 12-07-2010, 02:03 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

So my apologies if this is a silly question since I know nothing about Weight Watchers, but how exactly do zero point foods work? Obviously the zero point foods still have calories attached to them so is that somehow built into your point total? Is there a limit on how many zero point foods you can eat before they count for points?

Also has anyone's husband done Weight Watchers? Did it work for them?
Old 12-07-2010, 02:04 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Lena, I hardly ever use my APs or WPs. I use them when there is a holiday or a birthday. It's worked pretty much for me - I started on 5/20 and have lost 75 lbs to date. Thumbup
Old 12-07-2010, 02:11 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

The zero point foods do add up. If you eat one banana it's ok and 0 points toward your total. The premise is that a banana is a filling food, which it is for me. However, they still contain calories, so you need to eat them in moderation. Some people think it's a free for all with fruits being 0 now, but it isn't.

As for hubbies, my DH is one of those that can eat an entire cake in one sitting and not gain a pound. So, I have no idea on how my DH would do. But one of my dearest WW friends has been on it and has lost 168 lbs so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nettio View Post
So my apologies if this is a silly question since I know nothing about Weight Watchers, but how exactly do zero point foods work? Obviously the zero point foods still have calories attached to them so is that somehow built into your point total? Is there a limit on how many zero point foods you can eat before they count for points?

Also has anyone's husband done Weight Watchers? Did it work for them?
Old 12-07-2010, 02:12 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I'm glad they have an new formula, when I tried it earlier this year, I only got 20-21 pts, which is next to nothing. It's very hard to feel satisfied with that little.
Old 12-07-2010, 03:04 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula View Post
That being said, it's been a full week since it launched and I've lost seven pounds. I really like the program a lot. You do get more points and that was a little hard for me to get used to - but it evens out with some of my favorite foods going up in points.
Congrats Paula, thats awesome!

Old 12-07-2010, 04:56 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I think the change is good. The way they calculated before, a calorie was a calorie, which obviously isn't true. You're far better off eating fruit/veggies than a 100 calorie pack, but they were the same amount of points. From what I'm reading now, the fruit is free, the 100 calorie pack is 3 points. So of course you can still have it, but you'd be better off with the fruit. Which totally makes sense.

You get more points per day, but some of the "snacky" type stuff COSTS more, where as the healthier stuff costs less. I think it makes sense from both a dieting perspective, as well as a being healthy perspective. They're also encouraging more protein, which I think is a fantastic idea, as the protein is what gives you the "full" feeling, and makes it last longer.

I'm a lifetime member from back in the day, but I haven't been to a meeting in years. I probably won't start now as I'm only 10lbs from goal, but I am tempted just because I think the new program sounds great.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:29 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I think the new program is great in the whole sense of really eating healthy. But for me, who has a total sweet tooth, it has been hard. The 100 calorie pack of hostess cupcakes that I used to enjoy every now and again that used to be 1 point is now 3 points. I think the new system will just take time to get used to!