Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2009, 04:03 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default do people stare...

...when you bring your fancy camera to take pics? since my rebel is the only camera i have, i obviously take it everywhere that i think will be photo ops. i take my kids to the park; my camera goes too. the last time i went to the park there were a few other families there as well. they all kinda stared when i was taking shots. i felt very self conscious, lol. like maybe it was overkill with the fancy camera and the kids running around trying to avoid me . so i didn't get many pics; i put it away, lol. is it wierd? i never see other moms taking pics like i do around here. unless i'm at a zoo or a kids museum. maybe they were jealous of my mad skillz .
Old 09-19-2009, 04:15 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

YES!

I use my rebel XTi for everything too. When i first got it i felt self conscious too, but now i don't at all.

Plus i've seen people w/ those big ol' long lenses and stuff out and about and thought well if THEY can do it, so can I! (now i just need some big lenses! tee hee)

Embrace the camera power girl!

xo

(aka L. Reid)

Old 09-19-2009, 04:20 PM
Just a Scrapper

profile gallery send pm

I stare cause I'm jealous
Old 09-19-2009, 04:28 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to newfiemountiewife Send a message via Yahoo to newfiemountiewife

No, not really. Tony always carries his XTi around, so when people see me with mine, I guess they expect it. He takes his camera everywhere he goes!
Old 09-19-2009, 04:48 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Yeah, I bring mine to the playground all the time and I get looks too. I just go about my business and figure they're just thinking, "hey, that's a great idea, I should bring my camera next time too".
Old 09-19-2009, 04:48 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

sometimes i'll hear comments about my fancy camera....i take it everywhere...it tickles me that people really think i know what i'm doing...lol....
Old 09-19-2009, 04:49 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to mummytothree

sometime but not always, either way it doesn't bother me one bit ......like we just got back from the park and there was a dad there with his big Canon too!!

Elizabeth

Blogging for Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 09-19-2009, 04:54 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I never get stares! That's because they are pretty common and the norm now. A couple years ago I would have gotten some but now it seems like everyone has one. I went with my son on his first field trip the other day and all the kids had a parent except one and it was so funny because more than half of them had their big cameras. I think I saw 1 or 2 with a point and shoot but that was it. I am always staring though because there will be someone with a nice lens or setup on their camera that I want.
Old 09-19-2009, 05:08 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to nun69

I take my camera EVERYWHERE and I have a Canon T1i ~
Old 09-19-2009, 05:17 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by gracielou View Post
I went with my son on his first field trip the other day and all the kids had a parent except one and it was so funny because more than half of them had their big cameras. I think I saw 1 or 2 with a point and shoot but that was it. I am always staring though because there will be someone with a nice lens or setup on their camera that I want.
I was getting ready to mention the field trip too.
Old 09-19-2009, 05:27 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I take my XTi pretty much everywhere, the park, the zoo, even to the kids class parties and field trips (though I do have a small P&S that I do use sometimes) so I don't notice people giving me looks too much anymore. But I've noticed a lot more people with DSLR's now that you can get entry level ones for cheaper so that might have a lot to do with it.
Old 09-19-2009, 05:36 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I think I stare more at others for not taking photos!!! LOL! I've chatted with those that were curious and I'm just floored that there are people out there that don't take that many photos or only take photos of events like birthdays and weddings...
Old 09-19-2009, 05:59 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

The only stares I usually get around here are from men -- trying to figure out who has the better equipment!
Old 09-19-2009, 06:12 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

I don't have a big expensive one [yet] but I always take a million shots and people stare. I've had a few come up and say that I'm really cute for taking so many pics
Old 09-19-2009, 07:14 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Yep, I get stares. That's why I only take my Rebel when I'm going to the park or some place that I will for sure get a lot of photos. Otherwise, I just take my little Canon Powershot. I am still doing project365 so I have to take a photo every day and I hate having to explain why I am taking a picture of my daughter at the dentist's office or whatever. LOL
Old 09-19-2009, 08:29 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaylensmom View Post
sometimes i'll hear comments about my fancy camera....i take it everywhere...it tickles me that people really think i know what i'm doing...lol....
i love that too! i've taught myself a lot, but i still have much to learn. it would help if the kids would sit still long enough for me to take a shot; realize it sucks; adjust and take another shot etc. etc. but they don't, lol.
Old 09-19-2009, 08:51 PM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMarch View Post
The only stares I usually get around here are from men -- trying to figure out who has the better equipment!
Women always have the better equipment.
Old 09-19-2009, 09:51 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBee View Post
I think I stare more at others for not taking photos!!! LOL! I've chatted with those that were curious and I'm just floored that there are people out there that don't take that many photos or only take photos of events like birthdays and weddings...
That's like my sister. My nephews are SO not used to getting their picture taken...it's hard to get them to look at the camera when I want to take a picture of them with my girls! My girls are trained...they know when to smile.
Old 09-19-2009, 09:58 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I take mine, with battery grip and big ass 70-200mm lens on it. I don't care. LOL
Old 09-19-2009, 10:13 PM
Sweets

profile gallery send pm

You mean there is any other lens to take with than the 70-200?

I have been taking my waterproof p&s out for some (obvious) situations. But only because I let my 5 year old use it as well.

Fan of:

Old 09-19-2009, 11:30 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren Reid View Post
YES!

I use my rebel XTi for everything too. When i first got it i felt self conscious too, but now i don't at all.

Plus i've seen people w/ those big ol' long lenses and stuff out and about and thought well if THEY can do it, so can I! (now i just need some big lenses! tee hee)

Embrace the camera power girl!

xo
Rebel XTi ... Me too! What is happening is that the WIFE is trying to decide how to approach her dh with her obvious "camera envy" and convince him that "everyone has one" and she needs one too. The husband is sitting there thinking "Oh gosh look at that camera! I hope she puts it away quick because my wife will decide she needs one too."

Use it deary!

Last week at Bowling...I actually forgot my Rebel...and looked in the van and found my old Kodak camera...I brought it in so at least I would get a few pictures...and one of the kids on our robotics team said "where did you get that LITTLE thing?!" ha ha ha
Old 09-19-2009, 11:47 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Well, I don't have a big camera yet, just p&s, but I think I was the only one at my niece's soccer game today taking photos. Felt a little self conscious & she is a teenager. But I snapped away because I wanted them, I knew grandma wanted them and she has always expressed that she (my niece) wanted them.

Oh, sometimes she'll act a little embarrassed when she is looking at an album I've made for her but she really loves having the photos and she will go over it and laugh and talk about the photos, anxiously flipping to the next page.
Old 09-20-2009, 12:32 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

yes! Around here I get tons of stares!!! It's kind of embarrassing, but I just go with it and figure they are jealous...same as I am with people with nicer ones than me.. *sigh*
Old 09-20-2009, 01:36 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

No, I don't think anybody stares. But everyone, especially people with small children, seem to have DSLR's these days, so the other people are probably too busy taking pics of their own kids to stare
Old 09-20-2009, 06:43 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I bring my camera with me everywhere too! People don't really stare, it's pretty normal around these parts Lots of photographers (or wanna-be's like me!!! hehehehe!)

Creating for Melissa Bennett & Lliella Designs!!