Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2012, 09:53 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Default new imacs (and other mac products) released

Did you guys (well those who care.. lol) see?

NEW imacs. I've been waiting for the release of a new model for so long. LOL. now i just have to decide If i want to buy a new computer or not.. mine is almost 6 years old and running strong but i'm really really behind with my OS.

They are SO thin from the looks of it but I did read an article that made me feel a bit better.. this shows the angle from behind so it is thicker in the middle

Anyways! Just thought I'd share

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57...ils-new-imacs/
Old 10-24-2012, 10:01 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Ooo! Cool.

Old 10-24-2012, 10:02 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

ooohhh... nice! My mac desktop, which is like 6 years old, too - looks like a boat anchor next to that one... hahah!! I want a new mac laptop... but want to see how this new Fusion Harddrive works...

My hubby is a bit annoyed with the release of the ipad4 - he got the 3 earlier this year and he is talking about trying to sell his 3 so he can get the 4... and I'm the one who has been waiting for changing my PC for mac laptop since the beginning of time! I need a job...
Old 10-24-2012, 10:28 AM
SugarBabe & Challenge Fairy

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Lyd

I watched the Press Event live yesterday and was totally drooling over the new iMac. Just gorgeous!

As for the Fusion harddrive . . . Hubby just installed a hybrid drive in my MBP, which is basically the same thing - a solid state drive combined with a regular hard drive. And, I have to say . . . I totally LOVE it!!! The performance on my machine is fast as ever, and the fan has not turned on in about three weeks. It used to run almost constantly. I'm seriously so happy with the switch, and I think anyone who gets the Fusion drive will be glad they did. Just my two cents.

Hubby and I were saying that people who just bought the New iPad were going to be upset about this new one, which pretty much makes the last release obsolete. I was hoping to get an iPad myself, but it looks like it won't happen for a little while longer. They'll probably be on to iPad 5.8 by the time I get one. Lol.

Old 10-24-2012, 10:39 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

i'm excited about the new imac - i'm going to get a new one when we move next summer yay!

creating for:
the lilypad / sahlin studio
Old 10-24-2012, 10:54 AM
The Ghost of Awesome Past

profile gallery send pm

I was bummed to hear the iPad mini isn't going to be as affordable as I had hoped. Their price point on it is way off!
Old 10-24-2012, 11:06 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I got iMac last year on Black Friday, so I'm not even allowing myself to look at the new one. I love my computer so much that I don't even want to know what I'm missing.

I am going to get my hubby an iPad mini for Christmas. I was struggling over whether I wanted to get him an iPad or a Kindle and this made the decision really easy for me.

I have the original iPad so I probably don't need to compare it to a new one. Haha. It's giant and probably slow.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:08 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltarbox View Post
Hubby and I were saying that people who just bought the New iPad were going to be upset about this new one, which pretty much makes the last release obsolete.
Ok, so can someone explain to me why everyone is saying this? Because the upgrades seem pretty standard - speed, connector, etc - for a new product release so how does it make the 3 obsolete? Last I checked my iPhone 4s still works even though the 5 was released. That's how technology works. Are people just being extra whiny because of the short release cycle?
Old 10-24-2012, 11:10 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Well, hopefully next year sometime I'll be getting an iMac, but it'll definitely have to wait til then.
Now, the iPad 4th generation...yeah, I'm ticked! lol I got my 3 the day it came out & I totally would've waited!! Oh well. I've thought about trying to see it. We'll see.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:13 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nettio View Post
Ok, so can someone explain to me why everyone is saying this? Because the upgrades seem pretty standard - speed, connector, etc - for a new product release so how does it make the 3 obsolete? Last I checked my iPhone 4s still works even though the 5 was released. That's how technology works. Are people just being extra whiny because of the short release cycle?
Ditto. Plz explain.

We just bought the iPad w/ retina and I have no desire to have the mini. And I don't even regret that I bought it 2 months ago right before the new release. I like my iPad the size it is.

Old 10-24-2012, 11:26 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I just wish that the prices here were the same for us! LOL
here you can buy one for, at least, $3.300!!! I think I'll never have one! LOL
Old 10-24-2012, 11:39 AM

profile gallery send pm

Well - I don't think people are upset about the iPad Mini. They're upset about the 4th generation iPad. And, I guess why they are calling the "New" iPad (3rd gen) obsolete is because Apple isn't even selling it anymore. They are selling the 2 and then this 4th generation iPad. But, you're right, it doesn't change the fact that they have a pretty nice piece of equipment and it still works just as well as it ever did.

If it was me, though, I think I would be bothered if I had just purchased the New iPad a few weeks/months ago only to have the 4th Generation iPad released so soon (the New iPad has only been out for 6 months - that's a SUPER fast turn around). Of course, since I AM me, I've known for months that tweaks to the iPad were rumored, and I would have waited to buy one anyway.

Last edited by Lyd; 10-24-2012 at 12:05 PM.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:45 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Ooooh the new iMac looks gorgeous!! I'm still smitten with my iMac that I got in June, though.
Old 10-24-2012, 12:03 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I just got my iMac so I am good there BUT we are getting the new ipad mini. I can't wait. Pre-orders this weekend! WOOT! I am so excited about it.
Old 10-24-2012, 12:22 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nettio View Post
Last night I was visiting SIL and we were wondering the same thing about what's new in iPad 4. We both got iPad 3 recently... July and August. My brother gave it to us for our birthday gift. All I could see was a new connector and maybe new OS (6)? As far as I know, both have Retina display. So, I'm not sure what we're missing from 3 to 4.

What WE were ticked or disappointed about was that they still have iPad 2 on the site, but iPad3 is out of the picture. Kind of makes you feel that iPad3 was a total failure (it's not, we love it.. just the perception based on their site) so they pulled it off while they're still selling iPad2. I really didn't get their logic there. Maybe they wanted to keep the lower cost (nonetina display) model around and since 3 was almost identical, they made it obsolete?
Old 10-24-2012, 12:30 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Well, it's the new connector yes, but mainly the new camera & better processor! DH & I keep with all the Apple rumors & knew nothing about the 4! We were both shocked! Yeah, the 3 is obsolete b/c they're not even selling it anymore! Although, I guess we could look at it as a "limited edition"! hehe.
Old 10-24-2012, 12:36 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I do have to say i'm a bit :/ about no optical drive! How do you load your software? am I missing something?

I was really planning on not getting the 27" (i think its SO big and unnecessary) but then the ram isn't upgradeable in the 21"? :/ hrms
Old 10-24-2012, 12:45 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to BrattyMeg

I agree Julie on the price point. It should be more inline with the Kindle Fire price wise I think. Even $50 more or so

~~Click Here~~
to visit my shoppe
Old 10-24-2012, 12:45 PM

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristinCB View Post
I do have to say i'm a bit :/ about no optical drive! How do you load your software? am I missing something?

I was really planning on not getting the 27" (i think its SO big and unnecessary) but then the ram isn't upgradeable in the 21"? :/ hrms
I honestly can't remember the last time I used my optical drive. Pretty much everything is available as a digital download now, especially with the App Store. They do sell the external USB optical drives if you have a bunch of software that you have to load with a disc. But, I haven't had to use a disc in quite a while now. That's kind of how things are moving, and you know Mac likes to be ahead of the curve.

In all the rumors about the iPad mini that I read, they were always saying that there were going to be "tweaks" to the full-size iPad. So, I wasn't surprised when they announced those changes. But, I was surprised that they completely removed the New iPad from the line up. And, I don't think they see it as a failure at all, just not different enough from the 4th generation iPad to have both of them in the store.

Old 10-24-2012, 12:56 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltarbox View Post
Well - I don't think people are upset about the iPad Mini. They're upset about the 4th generation iPad. And, I guess why they are calling the "New" iPad (3rd gen) obsolete is because Apple isn't even selling it anymore. They are selling the 2 and then this 4th generation iPad. But, you're right, it doesn't change the fact that they have a pretty nice piece of equipment and it still works just as well as it ever did.

If it was me, though, I think I would be bothered if I had just purchased the New iPad a few weeks/months ago only to have the 4th Generation iPad released so soon (the New iPad has only been out for 6 months - that's a SUPER fast turn around). Of course, since I AM me, I've known for months that tweaks to the iPad were rumored, and I would have waited to buy one anyway.
This is just like when iphone 4 and then iphone 4s came out... everyone wants the latest and greatest thing...

My hubby isn't angry - just annoy that he just got his iPad 3 early July and now they came out with another version, and the 3 isn't even sold anymore - yet the 2 is still out... he compares it to when Windows release ME and then short time later came out with XP. (you can give a techie an apple product, but you can't take the PC out of him... haha)...
Old 10-24-2012, 12:57 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristinCB View Post

The 27" screen is absolutely beautiful. You will not regret having all that space... I absolutely adore everything about my big iMac.

Although, a lot of people mention my giant screen when they see it.
Old 10-24-2012, 04:31 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to purple_colourz

I would love to have the ipad mini for Christmas, we have ipad 2 and I wouldn't mind having something as small as the mini to lessen the weight of my already heavy purse.