Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-2011, 04:42 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Default this doesnt seem right to me

My son really needed a laptop at home because he is constantly going to use his computer at his grandparents (its a desktop and they wont let him bring it home) so I wanted to get him an inexpensive one to keep at home. Best Buy had an awesome deal on a laptop bundle last week but we didnt get it so we went back today and while the bundles were gone they had a nice HP laptop which was pretty inexpensive so we grab one and take it to the register only to find out the geek squad had opened it up and set it up and made a recovery disk for it for which they want 100 dollars!! It did not say anything about that where the price was set and so the cashier says oh well you can get one which has not been set up so I go to get one and find EVERY SINGLE ONE had been set up/recovery disk made. I was like WTHeck??

I told the manager I wasn't paying that much for what I could do at home and asked if there was one which didnt have the extra charge. She said she would find someone which nobody ever cam and I waited like five minutes there while my husbands at the register waiting for me. So apparently they ran this special and did this "service" and are just charging the customers because there were none without this. Setting up the laptop is not hard though. So the manager waived the fee which was really nice because I was just going to go to another store. So what do you think is it just me or does that seem kinda shady to take every laptop they are running the special price on and add those services without the customer asking for them and then just expecting them to pay for them? I mean granted some people may not be able to set up the networking and laptops and get it all up and running but I have never had an issue so to me 100 dollars for this was a waste of money.

Dreaming of creating for Cindy Schneider, Studio Flergs & Kristin Cronin-Barrow

Last edited by jessica31876; 03-04-2011 at 06:17 PM.
Old 03-04-2011, 05:05 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

LOL sounds like our Toys R Us here. They have been out of the bike we were getting DS for his birthday forever except for the floor model, which they would charge us for the "set up fee".

I would have pitched a fit as well since they didn't have any that weren't set up. They probably just overestimated what people wanted in a lower end laptop (new to computers type people).
Old 03-04-2011, 05:06 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

No, I agree. They should definitely have some available without the added cost. Duh! I'm amazed at things that seem like common sense to me but apparently aren't to others...
Old 03-04-2011, 06:04 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I would of done the same thing you did. And if they had none without it already being set up/wouldn't waive the fee I would of left. Why spent that extra $100 for something you didn't want done? You could easy (if you wanted) take that extra $100 and apply it to a different laptop that may be faster or have more space -- you know what I mean?
Old 03-04-2011, 06:08 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

It's Best Buy - the shadiest of the shady. Same exact thing happened to me last summer, I told them I wouldn't pay for the recovery disk and to find one without. The guy walked around with it tucked under his arm, then came back with the exact same laptop and I bought it for the regular price. I'm pretty sure there are NONE without that and many, many people get taken. Like I said, it's Best Buy and I try never to buy ANYthing there, but this was an exception since it was such a great deal.
Old 03-04-2011, 06:15 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I got my laptop at Staples and they offered the same services...but it was offered as in take it or leave it. They also charged for it but it wasnt something they already did and tried to force you to pay for it.

(this was also a really good price on the one we bought today. It was an HP 15.6 inch 2.4 ghz processer, Windows 7, 4 gigs RAM & 500 gig hard drive for 449 which came with a 6 month anti-virus software and free geek squad help)

Old 03-04-2011, 06:21 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Ah, the ol' Bait & Switch technique . . . unfortunately, too many places do this - but I agree that Best Buy seems to be one of the worst offenders. I avoid doing business with places unless it's my option.

My Blog: Quantum Leaps
Old 03-04-2011, 10:33 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

yeah that was a very shady deal..
my laptop however never would create the backup discs but even then I just called HP and told them my problem and they only charged me 23 dollars and that included shipping...it only took 4 days for me to get them too. I would think of reporting that to the BBB.
Old 03-04-2011, 11:47 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I think the computer is set up to only create one set of backup discs, so if the store has already created the discs and you end up not getting them the laptop won't make a second set of discs. I don't know if Windows 7 is different, but that's the way the older versions have worked.
Old 03-05-2011, 12:03 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

they gave us the disks so its ok. I think when I told the lady that someone either needs to help me or Ill go to another store she just wanted to make me happy LOL. After waiting five minutes (at least) I was a little annoyed. I mean if they are going to do that on the sign which states the price it should have some notation not tell you when you get to the register.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KateD View Post
I think the computer is set up to only create one set of backup discs, so if the store has already created the discs and you end up not getting them the laptop won't make a second set of discs. I don't know if Windows 7 is different, but that's the way the older versions have worked.

Old 03-05-2011, 04:33 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

You were in the right...but I do love Best Buy. We've been great customers over the years and have had really good service with them. This is something I would have fought for too though!
Old 03-05-2011, 04:54 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

They did that when my son went to buy his ... he said "um no I am not paying $100 more for something I didn't authorize" ... and they took the extra $100 charge off (he ended up reformatting it and starting it over because he did NOT like the settings they chose for his defaults).
Old 03-05-2011, 09:28 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Yeah, that is crap. I'm not impressed with their antics. I once had one of their staff tell me if I bought a wireless router, there would be no way I could set it up by myself {rolls eyes} and that I should have the geek squad come out. I was actually pretty offended that it was insinuated that I wasn't capable of setting up a router. They make a lot of money on the added services and I think their staff gets incentives for selling their services.
Old 03-05-2011, 09:53 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Oh I do too...theyve always been good to us except to do with computers. We can never get any assistance when it comes to computers. Anything else and its great. I didnt know though if this is something that they do alot of if it is something that they just started or what. I personally thought it was crazy because I set up my first computer and the last time I had used a computer prior to that was when I was in middle school (before Windows 95 was out!! We had Apple computers too back then not Mac if thatll tlell you how long it had been LOL). I had no problems setting it up.

As for the router I got mine set up ok but I have to say it was a tad confusing because I had the cable box and the phone box so I had to play with the wires a bit before I got it figured out but it wasnt so hard I would need someone else to do it for me!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4noisyboys View Post
You were in the right...but I do love Best Buy. We've been great customers over the years and have had really good service with them. This is something I would have fought for too though!

Old 03-05-2011, 09:54 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Sounds like they overestimated how many people would want that service. As long as they still gave it to you, I wouldn't see a big deal. Though I would have insisted to not be charged for it, too. I also love Best Buy though. Buy all my stuff for them.
Old 03-05-2011, 10:14 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

oh yea I agree. I wasnt so much upset about them doing it but the fact that they did it to every single one and then there was nothing to tell you about the charge til you got to the register then when you ask for one without the setup/backup disks there werent any. That does not seem right to me. I wont not shop at Best Buy though because I do like them. Ever since Circuit City closed I usually check Best Buy first. I liked Circuit CIty before they closed though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovely1m View Post
Sounds like they overestimated how many people would want that service. As long as they still gave it to you, I wouldn't see a big deal. Though I would have insisted to not be charged for it, too. I also love Best Buy though. Buy all my stuff for them.

Old 03-05-2011, 11:17 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We went into Best Buy tonight to look for Wii Games for my DD, and I told DH your story. Boy, he was MAD, lol! He went on and on and on about them ripping off customers & all that, haha! He's definitely on your side on this one Jessica!

Huge fan of: