Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 04-07-2018, 03:58 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Question Your FIRST Layout

Earlier this week we talked about where digiscrapping came from, stores that opened and have closed, some of where we came from on our journey to Sweet Shoppe Designs.

Now I'm curious to see how far we've come from as far as our scrapping style.

Show me your first gallery layout here at Sweet Shoppe.

Now what does your most current layout, that you just uploaded to the gallery, look like?

Has your scrapping style changed from then to now?

What have you learned along the way?
Old 04-07-2018, 04:30 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My first

Most recent

I’ve never had a set “style” IMO but a lot of scrappers do want to label me pocket as I do pocket scrapbook a lot. I however prefer to think of myself as someone who will try it all. I’m willing to try anything I love pushing my conformity zone. I know my eye is better, when I scrap now I’m more conscious of the overall appeal. The best way iMO to get better at scrapbooking is just do it, try new things do not be afraid to fail because you can’t grow if you do not force yourself out of your comfort zone.
Old 04-07-2018, 04:40 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

First:

Recent:

Honestly, my style hasn't changed much since the beginning. I cluster a bit more now, but thats also because in the last 10 years the stuff we've had available to scrap with has changed and leant itself to clusters better. I've mostly learned to stay true ot who I am but push myself out of my comfort zone.

Also, LOL that both of these are with KCB kits. Clearly I have stalked her forever.
Old 04-07-2018, 04:43 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I'm not sure what my first digi layout was, but this is my first layout uploaded to the SSD gallery:

And one of my latest:

At heart, I'm still a simple scrapper. I gravitate to simple composition and solid papers that let my photos stand out, but for CT work I do love to use templates and cluster. I think the biggest thing I've learnt over the years is to shadow better. Still not as good as some, but enough to make the page visually appealing.
Old 04-07-2018, 05:02 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

lol Fun!
First layout here in 2015-

Newest layout-

Honestly, I don't think they are that different! I obviously had been scrapping for some time before finding the shoppe. I started around 2008. I think the thing that I've learned or worked on the most would be shadows & shading for realism. Otherwise- I'm still totally an eclectic, throw-everything-but-the-kitchen-sink type of scrapper!
Old 04-07-2018, 05:39 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

My first layout posted here at SSD on 4/13/07

The most recent layout I uploaded today - almost 11 years to the day later

EVERYTHING about my style has changed.. thankfully! I've learned that shadows are my friends - I've learned how to cluster (that took forever to learn!).
Old 04-07-2018, 06:48 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellasspace View Post
I’ve never had a set “style” IMO but a lot of scrappers do want to label me pocket as I do pocket scrapbook a lot. I however prefer to think of myself as someone who will try it all. I’m willing to try anything I love pushing my conformity zone. I know my eye is better, when I scrap now I’m more conscious of the overall appeal. The best way iMO to get better at scrapbooking is just do it, try new things do not be afraid to fail because you can’t grow if you do not force yourself out of your comfort zone.
Yes, I agree!! Since I asked about pocket scrapping a few months weeks ago, I've decided to do at least one pocket page a month so that I can get better at it instead of struggling so much like I do right now. Hopefully by the end of the year, I'll be more comfortable with it instead of wondering "is this finished?"
Old 04-07-2018, 06:51 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverendingJen View Post
First:

Honestly, my style hasn't changed much since the beginning. I cluster a bit more now, but thats also because in the last 10 years the stuff we've had available to scrap with has changed and leant itself to clusters better. I've mostly learned to stay true ot who I am but push myself out of my comfort zone.

Also, LOL that both of these are with KCB kits. Clearly I have stalked her forever.
Want to hear something shocking? For years I had no idea who KCB. It wasn't until last year that I realized KCB was Kristin Cronin-Barrow!! No one ever wrote her name out so I had no idea who she was and I wondered why so many talked about her but I could never find KCB's store!
Old 04-07-2018, 06:52 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverland Scraps View Post
Want to hear something shocking? For years I had no idea who KCB. It wasn't until last year that I realized KCB was Kristin Cronin-Barrow!! No one ever wrote her name out so I had no idea who she was and I wondered why so many talked about her but I could never find KCB's store!

Lol I can see that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-07-2018, 06:52 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

ok here are my first two real layouts uploaded.. I have a feeling I deleted some though! I remember things being slightly different at the very beginning of SSD's opening? I don't know if they didn't have a gallery because I remember being on Manda Bean's team when it first opened but they aren't there.

I still like this next one.. maybe it's because i'm so nostalgic? haha

Here is my most recent upload.. yikes almost a year ago! Man someone make me snap out of this and get some layouts done
Old 04-07-2018, 06:53 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
hahaha!

you know what's also funny? our newest designer - kelly bangs - goes by KBC in her files! haha! we looove to confuse you guys here!
Old 04-07-2018, 06:54 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristinCB View Post
hahaha!

you know what's also funny? our newest designer - kelly bangs - goes by KBC in her files! haha! we looove to confuse you guys here!

Oh lord, if you two collab we would all be confused

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-07-2018, 06:58 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacinda View Post
I
At heart, I'm still a simple scrapper. I gravitate to simple composition and solid papers that let my photos stand out, but for CT work I do love to use templates and cluster. I think the biggest thing I've learnt over the years is to shadow better. Still not as good as some, but enough to make the page visually appealing.
I love your shadows, they are so soft and beautiful. In fact as I'm learning to shadow and redoing my shadow styles, I'm gravitating to your softness of your shadows!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmieN1 View Post
l
Honestly, I don't think they are that different! I obviously had been scrapping for some time before finding the shoppe. I started around 2008. I think the thing that I've learned or worked on the most would be shadows & shading for realism. Otherwise- I'm still totally an eclectic, throw-everything-but-the-kitchen-sink type of scrapper!
I love throwing everything on to a layout! The layout that I just uploaded to the gallery, I had to tell myself to stop with the elements!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheana View Post
EVERYTHING about my style has changed.. thankfully! I've learned that shadows are my friends - I've learned how to cluster (that took forever to learn!).
I still struggle with clusters. I want them to look cohesive, work together and not look too much. I often overly critique my clusters too much. The other ladies in the gallery make it look SO simple!
Old 04-07-2018, 07:02 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristinCB View Post

Here is my most recent upload.. yikes almost a year ago! Man someone make me snap out of this and get some layouts done
Those first two are really good for what was available then!! Your last one is amazing!!

Snap out of it and get scrapping---but don't leave us hanging without your fabulous products!
Old 04-07-2018, 09:07 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

All from June 2008, starting with my very first

and some recent pages, starting with my most recent ...

... a lot has changed. The products are better and more diverse as the designers have gotten better at their craft (they were always good, but now have even more depth). I also work more with my shadowing and light sources than I did when I first started.
Old 04-07-2018, 09:18 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleSheri View Post
... a lot has changed. The products are better and more diverse as the designers have gotten better at their craft (they were always good, but now have even more depth). I also work more with my shadowing and light sources than I did when I first started.
What do you mean by light sources?
Old 04-07-2018, 09:56 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
What do you mean by light sources?
I pay way more attention to making the light source looks natural. For example, if you have your angle set at 45 degrees, the light source would be coming from the upper right corner, so I try make sure everything I do on my pages aligns to that (unless it's too much work and then I don't care, lol). `Sometimes I'll use the dodge/burn tools and I've created some actions that I can use on the background.
Old 04-07-2018, 10:09 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleSheri View Post
I pay way more attention to making the light source looks natural. For example, if you have your angle set at 45 degrees, the light source would be coming from the upper right corner, so I try make sure everything I do on my pages aligns to that (unless it's too much work and then I don't care, lol). `Sometimes I'll use the dodge/burn tools and I've created some actions that I can use on the background.
That's what I thought, but I wasn't 100% certain. Thank you for answering that one!
Old 04-08-2018, 02:00 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

2012 (first time uploading to SSD, not my first digi scrap page)

Recents

I've learned many things along the way - mostly to better my scrapping skills. The biggest changes to me are that I learned to use templates (they DO save lots of time and I'm now short of time) and also to do pocket pages. I was so impressed by those pocket pages but had no idea how to do them. They were so out of my comfort zone. Then Melanie helped me out by providing a free template she did for me to try pocket scrapping. I fell in love with it. I'm still not very confident and use mostly templates for pocket scrapping but I now do many pocket pages I've also learned to include more than 1-2 photos on my pages. I guess as long as you're scrapping, it's an ongoing process of learning and mastering the art of preserving memories
--
Mama to Albert
Old 04-08-2018, 02:27 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

The first one uploaded to the gallery and what I believe is my first digital one is this one:

And my most recent one:

I have a better eye for shadows and details now than I did when I started. I'm comfortable with clustering, scrapping a template and can do both pocket page and traditional pages. I love combining kits and challenging myself to try something new, but I've found that I mostly stick to 3-4 of my favorite designers kits instead of just buying anything that looks pretty. My style works best with those 3-4 designers designs so I try to use mainly those. My PL album for the last 2 years were KCB and Flergs through the lot. And the first page of my gallery is mostly the same.
Old 04-08-2018, 03:53 AM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

I've been scrapping for about a year... I used to preserve my memories in a more ad design than actual "scrapping". You know without shadows and lots of layers.

This is the first page I ever uploaded to SSD and I used a template from Brook so my shadows are good. But it took me ages to combine those papers, I just wanted to use them all! D:

This is my most recent one. A fan project. I'm working in getting more depth in certain elements or the lighting itself, and I like to use styles for titles and elements.

And I just stopped sharpening my finished layouts, instead I use the high pass filter. It gives a smother effect.

Last edited by imperio; 04-08-2018 at 03:56 AM.
Old 04-08-2018, 09:36 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

My first........(2007)

and the last one I added to the gallery...

My style has changed several times during the 11 years I've been scrapping. I went from no-shadows to using shadows (already made a huge difference). I also went from Clean&Simple to cluster overload on my layouts. LOL I just can't stop adding elements to my layouts these days
Old 04-08-2018, 10:26 AM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

My first layout at SSD from Nov. 2015:

This is actually the layout I did last, which was for the Bingo Challenge lift your first layout:

I can't remember anything before SSD except I have to be one of the last people in the world to leave traditional paper scrapping behind. I actually got started with my CM consultant pulling me towards digital in the end. I used Storybook Creator up until last Christmas when my husband got me PSE! This is my site and I lift off of y'all like crazy. Thank you for being my teachers and making me better!
Old 04-08-2018, 12:05 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

My first LO here was posted in April, 2013. I had been digi scrapping for just over a year

I just posted this one today, but it's not my normal style, so I'm adding the LO I posted on Friday which more represents my usual style

I've gotten the feel for clustering now (at least I think I have). I'm still a template scrapper. I think the next things I would like to learn are art journaling and warping shadows.
Old 04-08-2018, 02:08 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

My very first one that I printed and kept, dated July 25, 2006 on my harddrive.

First one in the SSD Gallery, March 2007.

A couple from this week.

Drop shadows, and I rarely do single photo layouts anymore. I try to cut down the amount of pages I scrap rather than have huge numbers like in the beginning.

Last edited by nesser1981; 04-08-2018 at 03:14 PM.
Old 04-08-2018, 04:26 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc33558 View Post
I can't remember anything before SSD except I have to be one of the last people in the world to leave traditional paper scrapping behind. I actually got started with my CM consultant pulling me towards digital in the end. I used Storybook Creator up until last Christmas when my husband got me PSE! This is my site and I lift off of y'all like crazy. Thank you for being my teachers and making me better!
I loved reading this!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftytam View Post
I've gotten the feel for clustering now (at least I think I have). I'm still a template scrapper. I think the next things I would like to learn are art journaling and warping shadows.
Warping shadows is so much fun!! I have to admit, I probably spend anywhere from 10-minutes to an hour warping my shadows on my layouts. It's so much fun and you get to see your layout come to life in a different depth than just flat shadows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nesser1981 View Post
Drop shadows, and I rarely do single photo layouts anymore. I try to cut down the amount of pages I scrap rather than have huge numbers like in the beginning.
You purposely try to scrap less or you are trying to get as many photos on to one page, which as a results cuts down on the amount of pages?
Old 04-08-2018, 04:45 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

My first digital page, ever - I right-clicked and saved the 'paper' from a paper scrapbooking store's website. I didn't know anything about copyright or that the quality of that 'paper' was going to be crappy. I used a CK "Scrapbook designer" program, then switched to Digital image Pro, then finally Photoshop. I used clipart from Microsoft Word, screenshotted it and put it on my page. It's a mess! lol

My first one in the SSD gallery in 2010, about 5 years after I started digiscrapping. This was a RAK for a friend

And a recent fave:

My style's been all over the place, now I'm clustery with some white space, but I love the pages that fill up all the space too (mainly using Cindy's templates). It used to bother me that I used templates so much but now i don't care, I love that I can tell my stories and relax without having every page look the same because I didn't have any page design ideas. Most important thing I've learned is drop shadows and warping them, and how to layer!

Old 04-08-2018, 05:28 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
You purposely try to scrap less or you are trying to get as many photos on to one page, which as a results cuts down on the amount of pages?
More photos to a page, fewer pages per event. So instead of one scrapbook page for a birthday cake and one for the party decorations, that's two now. Or, I'm not a Project Life scrapper, however a couple years ago, I started doing monthly wrap up layouts to get all those photos that I would have probably done single page layouts for in the past, and turn it into a two page spread for the month instead for 10-15 random pages. Plus, I always use the same kit twice if the pages face each other in the book, and those random pictures drove me crazy! LOL!
Old 04-08-2018, 08:07 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

This is my first SSD layout and first layout using photoshop!! Before then, I had scrapped for a few months using Memory Mixer, haha. (summer of 2007)

And today...

I remember how frustrated I was with photoshop but had to get this page done for an SSD challenge, haha. It took me like 3 hours to do... today I can do a page in 25 minutes, less if I focus. Also shadowing and designing rules.

ETA - it makes me sick that my sister-in-law STILL looks like that... haha. She is going to be 30 this year and still looks 18.
Old 04-09-2018, 08:35 PM
Sweets

profile gallery send pm

My first layout here in December 2007 (I have been digiscrapping since 2005!!!)

Recent layout:

www.byrdsblessings.com
Old 04-09-2018, 08:39 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

My first LO here - well a month ago. LOL but I had been digi scrapping way before then. So thankful I learned about shadows, layers and basic design/flow as my first few layouts when I originally started are pretty scary!
Old 04-14-2018, 11:42 AM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

I started digi scrapping in February (ish) never had a creative lick about me. I think I've improved quite a Bit and I'm thinking about leaping from (limited options) android to a laptop or iPad. I love to scrap whenever I'm waiting and I think iPad would give me the portability I'm looking for.

But here's my first layout and second is not most recent but just a few days ago (my proudest layout so far)