Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 12-08-2017, 01:10 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm
Default Scrapping from Scratch?

Back in the day, (when you were a twinkle in your mother's eye ) everyone scrapped from scratch. Templates weren’t a thing yet, scraplifting was even a gray area. In fact, when templates started making headway my first reaction was: that’s cheating!! Haha. I’ve obviously come around and use templates all the time, if nothing else as a jumping off point. These days, when I think about scrapping from scratch my first thought is: ain’t nobody got time for that!

So, I’m curious... does anyone out there still scrap from scratch?
Old 12-08-2017, 01:24 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Me! I can't use templates. I mean. I can. I just can't. kwim? lol

I think the only ones I use are the "in review" ones, and that is 1 time/year... looking my gallery now, except for the 'in review 2016', the only one I used was this one from Brook - because, well... she rocks!
Old 12-08-2017, 02:19 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

When I did the Scrapaneers Masters of Scrap Challenge, you were unable to use templates. You had to scrap from scratch and it was a challenge since I love to use templates or scraplift paper layouts. So for things like that, I did scrap from scratch. Every now and then I may do it, but I do love me some templates. lol

Old 12-08-2017, 02:22 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Nope. I have no interest in scrapping from scratch.

Old 12-08-2017, 02:27 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I do a mixture of both When I use templates, I try to really personalize them. Sometimes to the point where they are unrecognizable, lol.
Old 12-08-2017, 02:29 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleSheri View Post
I do a mixture of both When I use templates, I try to really personalize them. Sometimes to the point where they are unrecognizable, lol.
those are the best pages using templates!
Old 12-08-2017, 02:36 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I still do both.
Old 12-08-2017, 02:48 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I used to scrap strictly with templates. Like I didn't even know where to begin without one. But as I grew more comfortable and confident I guess I didn't need them as much so now I scrap both. I still love my templates and have some wonderful template CTs I scrap for but I have fun challenging myself without sometimes too!
Old 12-08-2017, 02:52 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubia Padilha View Post
those are the best pages using templates!
I have to agree with you! When I look at my finished product, I still want it to show my personality and style.
Old 12-08-2017, 03:47 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Before I had my daughter I would spend hours on layouts... for fun. Never used a template and created a small number of layouts per year.

Once I started usiing templates, I never turned back. I can do a nice layout in 30 minutes - an hour, and scrap 4 times the amount I did pre-template use. I even love to use the same templates over and over throughout my scrapbooks.

I absolutely would never go back to creating my layouts from scratch again.
Old 12-08-2017, 06:45 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Well, obviously I scrap without templates... I make them. And it is not always easy to come up with new ways to layout a page. I absolutely RELISH using templates, both my own and other designer's. Of course, my creative moments need freedom to make something all my own, but for everyday get-it-scrapped moments there's nothing like templates!

Old 12-08-2017, 07:02 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I wish I could scrap without a template but I just get stuck and don't know how to make a page look interesting enough. Or sophisticated enough. I know about the visual triangles but that's about it.

I've done better with the master of scrap competition where you couldn't use templates at all but there's only one layout that I'm proud of...
Old 12-08-2017, 07:33 PM
SugarBabe & Challenge Fairy

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Lyd

I rarely use templates. I actually find that layouts with templates take me longer than doing them from scratch. I'm not sure why that it, but it is. I do use templates from time to time, but like Sheri, I usually personalize them quite a bit.

Old 12-08-2017, 08:32 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I do both, but when I use templates I personalize a lot.
Old 12-08-2017, 09:07 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I use a mix of both. I go through phases where I use templates more (like when life is crazy and I don't have as much time) but then there are times when I prefer to scrap from scratch.
Old 12-08-2017, 09:56 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I used to used them all the time and I will occasionally for creative team duty.
I like to push myself creatively so now I try to stay away as much as possible! This has caused me to scrap something halfway done, shut it down and come back to start fresh. I need it to have my creative touches and it has to flow.

Old 12-08-2017, 10:35 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm about 50/50...... for the most part I scrap from scratch, but when I've lost my mojo, or have a load of pictures from one event, I turn to templates to help me get things done faster.
Old 12-08-2017, 11:07 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I used to NEVER use them except for a rare challenge. Now I'm leaning more and more to using them and trying to make them my own

Old 12-08-2017, 11:43 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I do sometimes and more often when I have a lot going on.

My personal style is usually much simpler than most templates. Templates make my pages look great but they take much longer than if I scrap without them.

I'm currently enjoying using Pagemaps which, to me, is like the middle ground between scrapping from scratch and using a template.
Old 12-09-2017, 12:01 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I rarely scrap a page from scratch--it takes me long enough when I start with a template! But I definitely personalize the templates I use. My style is simpler than most templates, so I delete layers and clusters, add or take away photo spots, sometimes even combine two templates.
Old 12-09-2017, 12:31 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I make a few pages by scratch but mostly use templates and try to make it my own. I used to hate that I used so many templates but then figured out I was spending too much time comparing myself to how others scrap and decided to just do my own thing.

Old 12-09-2017, 07:07 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I love templates--I love the creative freedom they give me within the structure they provide. I make a few pages from scratch, but they take forever and I just don't like them as much. Also, I love having lots of photos on a page, and this is hard to do from scratch. If I do go rogue and do my own thing, I still make a sketch first or make a template in PS before adding my photos. I admire those scrappers who can create such amazing pages without templates, but I just don't enjoy doing that. I love the photography, story-telling, and using the different pieces of the kits the best, not so much the layout design.

It's been so interesting to read everyone's perspective on this and the stock photo question that was going around a few days ago. I'm just so thankful that this hobby and this community affords so much variety to so many styles and personalities.
Old 12-09-2017, 07:22 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyd View Post
I actually find that layouts with templates take me longer than doing them from scratch. I'm not sure why that it, but it is.
me too!!!!!
Old 12-09-2017, 07:23 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I second allyanne. I'm a template lover as well. Love the creative freedom. I often add more elements and clusters. Or I use photo spots for my journal of journal cards. That way I try to make them my own.

Occasionally I do layouts without a template, but that's a minority.

Old 12-09-2017, 10:07 AM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by allyanne View Post
It's been so interesting to read everyone's perspective on this and the stock photo question that was going around a few days ago. I'm just so thankful that this hobby and this community affords so much variety to so many styles and personalities.
I agree! It's lovely to see such a diverse group of scrappers!
Old 12-09-2017, 10:12 AM
Babe Lead

profile gallery send pm

I do both. Since I CT for awesome template designers, I try my best to showcase their templates. However, there are times when I scrap from scratch, too!
Old 12-09-2017, 01:09 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I still scrap from scratch and then I turn them in to templates!

I remember when templates didn't even exist and remember when a friend of mine approached me to make templates. Now they are everywhere and I love it!
Old 12-09-2017, 04:22 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeAndra View Post
I do sometimes and more often when I have a lot going on.

My personal style is usually much simpler than most templates. Templates make my pages look great but they take much longer than if I scrap without them.

I'm currently enjoying using Pagemaps which, to me, is like the middle ground between scrapping from scratch and using a template.
I didn't know Pagemaps. Thanks for sharing!
It reminds me of PencilLines but I think they shut down their page.
Old 12-09-2017, 04:44 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by allyanne View Post
I love templates--I love the creative freedom they give me within the structure they provide. I make a few pages from scratch, but they take forever and I just don't like them as much. Also, I love having lots of photos on a page, and this is hard to do from scratch. If I do go rogue and do my own thing, I still make a sketch first or make a template in PS before adding my photos. I admire those scrappers who can create such amazing pages without templates, but I just don't enjoy doing that. I love the photography, story-telling, and using the different pieces of the kits the best, not so much the layout design.

You took the thoughts out of my head and made sense of them! This is exactly me - page composition is just not something I enjoy toying with, I'd rather spend my time editing photos just right, or journaling, or adding "finishing touches" in just the right places (paint, stitching, etc). So I am personally glad to have an option that allows me to do such things without spending hours trying to figure out how to arrange the page.

siggy by the incredibly amazing Jacinda
Old 12-09-2017, 09:43 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfitinmn View Post
You took the thoughts out of my head and made sense of them! This is exactly me - page composition is just not something I enjoy toying with, I'd rather spend my time editing photos just right, or journaling, or adding "finishing touches" in just the right places (paint, stitching, etc). So I am personally glad to have an option that allows me to do such things without spending hours trying to figure out how to arrange the page.
This is me, too. The design aspect stresses me out, but taking a grayscale template and filling it full of color and meaning is really magical to me.
Old 12-11-2017, 12:04 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I do! I love templates and use them often, but I like to mix it up and scrap "from scratch" too.