Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 03-29-2018, 01:45 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Default creative funk

how do you break out of it? what are your tips and tricks?

my only idea is to run away and that is out of the question... sooooooo give me your best ideas!
Old 03-29-2018, 03:35 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I'm sorry you're struggling with that! I think it's different as a scrapper vs a designer. As a scrapper, I take a few days off scrapping to read or pursue other hobbies, organize photos or supplies until I find something that inspires me, or seek out a challenge. Sometimes nothing works, and for a few weeks I push myself to scrap even when I'm not feeling it, sticking to simpler pages and photos I'm less invested in. (If I try to scrap photos I love while I'm in an extended scrapping funk, I'll end up needing to redo them. If I do mediocre photos, I'll be able to let the mediocre layout be good enough.)

As a designer, maybe you could take a class in a very different style, scrap some of your photos, or design something not for work (like a home dec project). If running away is what you really want to do, maybe take a week or two off designing and don't even open PS or visit SSD.

Good luck getting out of your creative funk!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Old 03-29-2018, 03:46 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristinCB View Post
how do you break out of it? what are your tips and tricks?

my only idea is to run away and that is out of the question... sooooooo give me your best ideas!
Open up your art Journal and doodle or paint in it. Try building your mood boards with actual physical printed out paper... Just grab it any paint or markers or whatever you have that makes color and just Swatch boxes with it... Those things always help me tremendously!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Old 03-29-2018, 04:19 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Get inspiration from other designers? Fabrics? Paintings? Photography?
Old 03-29-2018, 05:00 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I think it must be hard when being creative is your job. For me, I just take a break. It's just for fun for me. Are you half way through a kit and it's causing you issues? Then, I would take a break and try a different kit.
Old 03-29-2018, 09:21 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

It seems like there would be so much pressure to be creative if your livelihood depended on it! I have no advice for you, but I will say that even the things you make in times of creative slump are still amazing to the rest of us.
Old 03-29-2018, 09:47 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelsgirl View Post
I will say that even the things you make in times of creative slump are still amazing to the rest of us.
Exactly this!

For me, the only thing that works is taking a little time off. Creativity can't be forced. It just can't. The only thing you can do when you are lacking creativity and absolutely HAVE to work is some form of replication. Just find an older kit you retired and LOVED and re-do it. Then the concept, colors, etc... all the creative stuff is mostly done for you. And you have the pleasure of making something old (and possibly even out of a style a little) fresh and new.

Old 03-29-2018, 10:34 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

It must be the month. I’m in one too! And seriously your stuff is so amazing that even your “funk” stuff is beautiful. Usually when I have to get out of the funk, j browse Pinterest and just click random things until I find some inspiration and desire. Good luck!

Old 04-01-2018, 09:25 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I was just thinking this week when I saw that photo of Lucas skiing with that pristine snow, gorgeous mountain, and puffy clouds that you need to do a Great Outdoors winter version with skis, snowboarding, sledding, etc. Just seeing that gorgeous photo made me want to scrap our spring break ski trip, but I need a KCB kit to do so. That doesn't really help, but I would love to see that ;o) Maybe you just need to do something else for a few days and not even think about it and come back to it with a fresh start.

I've had a really weird year. My computer crashed in February right when I was really in a scrapping mood. I finally got another one and am slowly working on retagging all my supplies and getting my pictures loaded and trying to get everything set up. I'm extremely behind on all my photo tagging which leaves me feeling overwhelmed and unsure where to start. Sometimes I feel so far behind that I wonder if I should just give up. I should probably just make a page to try to at least get some of my joy back, but I've been so busy that I really haven't had much time to even think about scrapping a page.

Hope your creative juices start flowing again soon!

Old 04-02-2018, 01:44 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Kristin, apart from taking a little break, maybe you could run a guest CT call, browse through the galleries of applicants and get inspired by the awesome pages scrappers are able to create because of your beautiful products Maybe do a collab? An unusual kit? A kit out of your comfort zone? Create a baby (boy) kit so I can buy it asap? Another thing is to just browse random stuff (non scrap related) and let your mind wander.
--
Mama to Albert

Last edited by anelia; 04-02-2018 at 03:29 AM.
Old 04-02-2018, 10:11 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by anelia View Post
Kristin, apart from taking a little break, maybe you could run a guest CT call, browse through the galleries of applicants and get inspired by the awesome pages scrappers are able to create because of your beautiful products Maybe do a collab? An unusual kit? A kit out of your comfort zone? Create a baby (boy) kit so I can buy it asap? Another thing is to just browse random stuff (non scrap related) and let your mind wander.
Oh where is my mind this morning all I saw was create a baby LOL
Old 04-02-2018, 10:22 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Hahaha, Ella, that could be another great idea
--
Mama to Albert
Old 04-02-2018, 11:49 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I'll be hosting my CT call in not toooo long! it's coming up! DSI and I also have a baby kit coming up very shortly.. NO MORE babies for me though!! haha! ahhh!

Thank you for all of these ideas girls <3 I'm feeling a little better
Old 04-02-2018, 02:45 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Browsing the gallery or my kit stash usually makes me want to scrap. Also mixing two or more kits for fun helps.
As for a designer though, I would think either browsing the galleries, asking your ct team for ideas or perhaps just take a break (say give yourself so many days to get away from it all) and then challenge yourself to start back fresh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-03-2018, 10:48 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I hope you're continuing to get better, Kristin! It's not a fun place to be

I struggled SO much last month with getting pages done. One of our kitties had to be put to sleep and it just really put me in a bad place, plus my menopause brain didn't want to cooperate
I'm hoping that this month will be much better

There are some fantastic suggestions here!! I'm definitely going to use them.
Old 04-03-2018, 01:26 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

When I designed I always looked at colour boards for inspiration. I also found it helpful to do a collab with another designer, or dug through my stash of personal photos and found a favourite and built a kit around that. Some of my most successful kits came from building a kit I made for myself to scrap with. If none of those things worked I would search through ISO kit threads.