Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 12-12-2017, 02:18 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm
Default Qotd: Snow. Yay or no? (12/12)

On Sunday we had our first snow of the year.
And yesterday it snowed even more.

Traffic is really terrible every times it snows in Belgium.
It took my brother 3 hours to drive home from work.
On a normal day, it takes him 15 minutes to get home.
I feel so sorry for all the people that have to spend hours in traffic to get to work or get home when it snows.
But I can't help the feeling that I really like snow.

How about you?
Snow... yay or no?

Old 12-12-2017, 03:14 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Yay
Here in the netherlands the same as in belgium with the snow the last few days.and i was free from work.
I like to take a walk in the snow.
But when you have to drive trough its bad.
The schools stopped early.busses werent driving so some kids stranded at school.people drove a long time to get home from work.
Now it's raining.the snow is almost gone
Old 12-12-2017, 03:43 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

In Gent it's still snowing, but here in Turnhout it stopped. It's not raining yet.
The roads are open and I hope people get easier to work than yesterday.

Old 12-12-2017, 04:00 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

It's snowing in Brussels again. I like the snow, but it makes things very difficult at times. I was traveling back to Belgium from the USA yesterday and the snow & ice made for a very long day. We were supposed to land in Brussels at 10:45, but were diverted to Rotterdam. After sitting on the runway for 3 hours, the airline contracted for a bus to drive us to Brussels because the Brussels airport was still closed. We finally made it to Brussels at about 6:30 pm. Fortunately, my friend picked me up at the airport - I don't think the buses were running and the taxi line was extremely long.
Old 12-12-2017, 04:27 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

You must be so tired from travelling that long yesterday!
I agree... I think a lot of buses were cancelled yesterday.
The snow is slowly melting here.

Old 12-12-2017, 04:38 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saar View Post
You must be so tired from travelling that long yesterday!
I agree... I think a lot of buses were cancelled yesterday.
The snow is slowly melting here.
I was really tired last night because I got up at 5:30 am in the USA on Sunday and only got a couple of quick naps on the airplane. I went to bed at my usual bedtime last night (9 pm) and slept well, so I'm feeling pretty good right now. I expect that I'll be dragging this afternoon, though.
Old 12-12-2017, 06:40 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Some one i know had a delay of 8 hours.leaving from brussel to dublin .
On the news this morning i saw a lot of people stranded at schiphol amsterdam.they had to spend the night there
Old 12-12-2017, 08:12 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I love snow! It can be tricky to drive in, but I’ve been driving in it my whole life, and it’s not that big a deal. Sometimes, we just stay home, and that is pretty cozy too. If it’s going to be cold anyway, it might as well snow, because it’s so pretty. We are finally getting our first real snow this morning.

Ask me again in March how I feel about snow, lol, and my answer may be different.
Old 12-12-2017, 09:12 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Nope....not a fan.

Old 12-12-2017, 09:21 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to hollyxann

I LOVE SNOW!!! I live in Ohio and so we normally get a decent amount of snow. I'm used to it, I've been driving in it my whole life, it's the other idiots around me that drive me nuts. If it's going to be cold it might as well snow. I love how it looks too. Now if we get too much of it by March I'm over it! But for December through February I can handle it.

2 years ago it was 65 degrees on Christmas here which is very out of the ordinary. Yet 3 years ago I had to reschedule Kennedy's birthday 3 times because of the snow and her birthday is Valentine's day.
Old 12-12-2017, 10:29 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I'm originally from WI, where it snows a lot! I love the snow and have no problem driving in it but it seems everywhere else we've lived really has no idea so I guess I'd prefer not to have to deal with those crazy drivers! I do really miss snow on Christmas though!
Old 12-12-2017, 10:33 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

It's a huge YAY for me, but probably only because snow is such a rarity in the South. When it does snow, everyone goes crazy because we normally only get some once every few years.
Old 12-12-2017, 11:14 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I love snow for a little while. Until I realize it's uncomfortable to be in. LOL

I do love to see it outside the window, sparkling when the sun shines on it. It's beautiful and makes everything look magical. I live in Florida, so we don't ever see snow. I like it when I visit my family in NY for the holidays. But then, I'm happy to come home to a place with no snow.

Old 12-12-2017, 12:06 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Tronesia

I am from Alabama, so snow was very, very rare. When we did get it, everything would shut down (businesses, schools...).

Then I got a chance to live in Wisconsin for about 4 years and I didn't mind the snow. The kids loved it. I just didn't like the super cold temperatures in Wisconsin that caused a lot of ice and hard snow. That isn't fun to deal with especially when they would take their time to clean up roads in our area.

Now, we are in Colorado.. and we have had 1 light snow and I am actually missing the snow. My 3-year old wants to make a snowman and it doesn't look like that's happening any time soon. I can say I don't miss the crazy driving though. Some people slow down for nothing.

Old 12-12-2017, 12:12 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I would love to live where it snowed a bit every year. It's rare that we get snow that sticks or accumulates, it only happens once or twice a decade and it's not much and doesn't last. Of course we're not equipped either, our roads aren't built for snow, everything shuts down. I'm originally from Montana and I'm too lazy for that kind of snow LOL.
Old 12-12-2017, 12:16 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Snow is a yay for me, because my daughter get to play in the snow, go tubing and sledding and I get to take photos for my scrapbook and PL. But it's the winter season that I don't like, starting two weeks before winter season. Because it was too dark and too quiet for me even though my tv is on. It was as if the cluds are always crying. Too sad for me.

But hey, I'm thankful to experience the 4 seasons. Because two years ago I only get to experience rain and sunny season. But I realize that snow is not for me.
Old 12-12-2017, 12:19 PM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

I live in Dallas. In Dallas, it snows, which melts, with then refreezes into ice. When it snows. There are no snow plows or equipment to clear the roads in Dallas. So when it snows, it shuts down the entire city. We are proud Texans that think we can drive on ice. We Texans are BAD drivers on ice. I love snow, just anywhere but Dallas.
Old 12-12-2017, 12:32 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I am in southern california and its 80 degrees in Dec. I would love to see snow but that wont be for another month or so if it does snow and I have to drive to Big Bear which is about 1 and a half hours from me.
Old 12-12-2017, 02:24 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

HEre in western washington, we don't get much snow. Even when it snows, it's not much. However, we do have high humidity (like usually 90%+) so when it gets cold, it ices over. I"d rather have snow than the ice that we get.

Old 12-12-2017, 10:31 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I live an hour from Lake Michigan so we get lots and lots of snow every winter! This week it has or will snow every day, actually.

We had an all-day lake effect event today, will have a system come through tomorrow with more snow, & then it's supposed to be more lake effect on Thursday.

We have 5 or 6 inches now, I guess, and will get 2-4 more inches by Friday.

I would prefer to live someplace that gets less snow but this is where my family is so I will make do.
Old 12-12-2017, 10:34 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Yay for snow! I love it. It doesn't hurt that I'm a teacher and get the day off when it snows, but I loved it even when I was a SAHM.

The average winter snowfall total here is about 15 inches, which is the perfect amount. We can have a few snows that are deep enough to play in and a pretty coating of snow a few more times, but it usually melts quickly (before it has time to turn muddy brown) and remains rare enough to be fun.
Old 12-13-2017, 05:02 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Here's In France, it's like In Belgium and Netherland. Traffic get crazy and we don't have the right material so I admit I never drive again on snow only ice and I don't like it very much, I drive slowly (yes that's true) so I hate when some people feels more intelligent and go super fastly not care if they can percut your car or not... Well this is for the practical side but I guess I'm like children I love snow! It's so beautiful and magical and as we have so few time, it's rare! This year we have nearly Nothing... My kids Dreams of doing a snowman but that's not for this time yet...
Old 12-13-2017, 09:34 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

Nay!
Old 12-13-2017, 10:11 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I'm from central Arkansas, where it snows like once every two or three years, so everything shuts down & we play all day. But if I lived somewhere that it snowed regularly, I would say NO WAY.

And lucky for me I live in the tropics where it never snows and I am never cold and I can always wear flip flops, which is my favorite.

Though I do hate missing out on all those cute snow-themed kits!
Old 12-13-2017, 11:29 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I like snow ... on the ski slopes. Not at my house, lol. Seattle basically shuts down when it snows because we have like 2 snow plows to service a million people, lol. It's a definite work from home opportunity! Schools shut down if there is even a hint it might snow.
Old 12-13-2017, 11:54 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Yes if I don't have to work!!

I'm scared of driving in snow but if it's to watch it fall from inside or play in it then totally!
Old 12-14-2017, 05:07 PM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

Here in Northern Virginia we get few snow days per seazon. But when it shows, even just a little bit, it is pretty much guaranteed that the schools will be closed and I will work from home. This is so different from back when I lived in the Chicago area. It had to be a major snow storm for schools to close and to work from home. I am not a big fan of show and winter. I would rather live in a warm climate without winters.
Old 12-14-2017, 05:57 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Snow? YES, PLEASE!

I'm sure it's because all my memories of snow come from my childhood, when we lived in northern Virginia. Snow is a very different thing when you're a child, versus when you're an adult with adult responsibilities and no such thing as snow days.

Here in Dallas, Texas, our winter weather is schizophrenic. In the morning, it might be 40 degrees and wet, and by late afternoon, it's 75 degrees and sunny. That whiplash weather results in the most awful sinus infections...

Every few years, we get an ice storm - not snow, but ice, where actual ice falls from the sky and melts and re-freezes in these giant sheets of ice across the roads and driveways and sidewalks and outdoor steps. You can drive on snow, but you simply can't drive on ice. So the whole city shuts down. My employer's policy was to bring your laptop home with you every night, and if it was dangerous to drive from wherever you lived, simply connect to the VPN and telecommute.

Ah, what I wouldn't give for a good snow day...

Writing & creating (but mostly writing) for The Sweet Shoppe!
Old 12-15-2017, 05:03 AM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saar View Post
I feel so sorry for all the people that have to spend hours in traffic to get to work or get home when it snows.
So yeah, that's a normal day in Dallas traffic.
I'd rather have snow. If you have snow in Texas, its best to stay home because the people who are out have NO CLUE how to drive in snow.