Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-15-2018, 03:15 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default Clusters and Shadows

I'm struggling with clusters. I'm trying to mimic some of the gorgeous ones I see the babes create in order to learn how it's done (I learn from mimicking), but I'm struggling! Mine never look quite how I want them too.

So, a question to all you master clusterers, any pro tips on how it's how it's done??

Old 01-15-2018, 03:24 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Have you tried clustering with a template?

I started to learn how to cluster using Cindy's templates. I started by just recplacing the flower spots with flowers and see what I liked/didn't like. When I got the hang of that I started adding more elements than there were element/flower spots provided in the template.

Old 01-15-2018, 03:49 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

No I haven't! I don't have any recent templates from anyone. I might have to try that. I struggle with scrapping with templates as I have a very specific style and it's not like the templates in the store at all. Thanks for the idea!

Old 01-15-2018, 03:51 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I learnt to cluster using Cindy's templates too.
Old 01-15-2018, 04:10 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

There are a few templates in the free samples section of the store.
https://www.sweetshoppedesigns.com/s...ction=0&page=1

Maybe that's an easy way to just give it a try before buying templates that may not fit your style?
You can always delete the layers/element/photo spots you don't like.

Old 01-15-2018, 04:16 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I would just experiment with adding a bunch of elements to your canvas and moving them around. I started clustering/shadowing before templates were as popular as they are now. There are a couple of useful shadow and layering tutorials too.

https://www.sweetshoppedesigns.com/t...ory/shadowing/
https://www.sweetshoppedesigns.com/t...gory/layering/

Feel free to ask more questions!
Old 01-15-2018, 04:41 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Thanks ladies!

Old 01-15-2018, 05:20 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I normally try to put the "flat" elements/flowers under and then build in volume. I second (or fourth) the other girls here. Try using a template to see how you do, then just play around a bit. Practice makes perfect
I use these settings for mine.
Old 01-15-2018, 05:27 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I am certainly no expert or a babe but I have trouble with clustering without a template. Download one of the free samples in the store to help you. I may add more or sometimes take away from the template but they help me see what sort of sized volume of things look best in an area...if that makes sense.
Old 01-15-2018, 05:29 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I usually start in groups of 3. So I'll do 3 main clusters and then if I think the page could use more filling in I'll add more. But a lot of the time I'm happy with 3 - make them as big or small as you like!!
Old 01-15-2018, 06:22 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

If there is a scrapper whose clustering skills you aspire to, lift their clusters to get started with. Even if it's just one cluster from their page. Mimic it on your own page to get the feel of how it works.
Old 01-15-2018, 06:24 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

following because I don't care for my clusters and would love to learn to cluster better! <3
Old 01-15-2018, 06:28 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleSheri View Post
I would just experiment with adding a bunch of elements to your canvas and moving them around. I started clustering/shadowing before templates were as popular as they are now. There are a couple of useful shadow and layering tutorials too.

https://www.sweetshoppedesigns.com/t...ory/shadowing/
https://www.sweetshoppedesigns.com/t...gory/layering/

Feel free to ask more questions!
Thank you SO much!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bexy View Post
I usually start in groups of 3. So I'll do 3 main clusters and then if I think the page could use more filling in I'll add more. But a lot of the time I'm happy with 3 - make them as big or small as you like!!
That's how I've been clustering, in groups of threes, but now I'm trying to figure out how to add more in so that's it looks cohesive and flows together beautifully, instead of looking like I threw everything but the kitchen sink on to my layout!
Old 01-15-2018, 06:38 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Similar to what others have said... I build layers up with flatter/thinner elements (e.g. drawn flowers) at the bottom through to larger/deeper elements (e.g. more realistic looking flowers) on the top. Shadows help to give depth. I did a tutorial on this (for Photoshop CS5 - it might still give you an idea of how to vary your shadow settings according to the elements you have on your page if you don't use CS5).

Other than that, clustering (for me) is largely a case of moving things around until they 'look right'. Also using lots of elements, using different leaves on top of each other, tucking some elements behind the photo and having others sit in front of it, placing flowers on top of other flowers and not worrying that you might only see a tiny part of the one underneath... and trying to show some balance, i.e. usually more than one cluster on the page with some of the flowers/leaves repeated in each cluster.
Old 01-15-2018, 09:17 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I just did a combo of trial and error
and
lifting other's clusters, with the kit and all, just so I could "see" how they were putting things together.

Old 01-15-2018, 10:42 PM
Babe Lead

profile gallery send pm

I think others have covered what needed to be said, but I'll add that practice makes perfect. So just keep trying until you get it look right to you. We are, after all, our own worst critique!
Old 01-16-2018, 12:18 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I started with templates and now I go by feel. I love layers so it's easy for me. Now minimal is hard. I'm working on that one.

The girls have all given great advice.
Old 01-16-2018, 01:12 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I’m ocd with my clusters and take the most time on them. Some flowers have to be rotated *just* right, others need to peek out *just* right, greenery placed just so, etc. I will say I love templates to use as a guide. I usually add/remove additional elements to them but they’re nice to have as a guide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-16-2018, 03:38 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm not a Babe but consider myself OK at clustering and I often do it without templates.

My main trick is to follow the element itself...if a flower/element looks more flat, I add a "thin/shallow" shadow...and when the flower/element requires more volume, I apply a deeper shadow. I usually do those deep shadows on those round/layered flowers which I imagine would cast such a shadow on a paper layout (i have no idea if that's the case because I don't do paper scraps but that's how I imagine it lol)

The secret is to alternate and mix depth of shadows...to add volume and realism.

So, whether I scrap with or without template, I add my own shadows. I always remove the shadows from a template but yes, they might be a good start to get an idea. However, DO try to change depth here and there.

Maybe a few examples would help:

see those round layered flowers with deeper shadows...

Same here - deeper shadows on voluminous flowers; shallow on the flatter objects

For word bits I prefer super thin shadows because I imagine those to be kind of "glued" to the paper While with the butterflies, I always apply thick deep shadows to add an interesting (to me) depth to the page. With the ribbons, I usually go something in between, then rasterize the shadow (make it a layer) and slightly adjust it with the warp tool, following the ribbon's shape/curl. Hope it makes sense

Really, just looking at pages you like and trying to recreate what you like is the best practice! Just keep on scrapping and have fun -- that's the most important part
--
Mama to Albert
Old 01-16-2018, 12:32 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I might actually be terrible at clustering... I'm only saying that because I don't really even think about it? I've never analyzed it, I just do what looks good to me.

Often I just stick flowers and stuff together where the page seems bare and move them around and keep adding more until it looks right. No method to the madness, I just leave it up to visually balancing the page (like, if the page seems to need 'more' on one side, I make it a bigger cluster). Not all of my clusters have a certain number and I don't do everything in 3's. I put flat flowers on top of chunky ones, sometimes if I want to. It's digital, no rules. LOL. I just add stuff until it looks good to me.

Old 01-17-2018, 11:19 AM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to danagirl82

Quote:
Originally Posted by anelia View Post
I'm not a Babe but consider myself OK at clustering and I often do it without templates.

My main trick is to follow the element itself...if a flower/element looks more flat, I add a "thin/shallow" shadow...and when the flower/element requires more volume, I apply a deeper shadow. I usually do those deep shadows on those round/layered flowers which I imagine would cast such a shadow on a paper layout (i have no idea if that's the case because I don't do paper scraps but that's how I imagine it lol)

The secret is to alternate and mix depth of shadows...to add volume and realism.

So, whether I scrap with or without template, I add my own shadows. I always remove the shadows from a template but yes, they might be a good start to get an idea. However, DO try to change depth here and there.

Maybe a few examples would help:

see those round layered flowers with deeper shadows...

Same here - deeper shadows on voluminous flowers; shallow on the flatter objects

For word bits I prefer super thin shadows because I imagine those to be kind of "glued" to the paper While with the butterflies, I always apply thick deep shadows to add an interesting (to me) depth to the page. With the ribbons, I usually go something in between, then rasterize the shadow (make it a layer) and slightly adjust it with the warp tool, following the ribbon's shape/curl. Hope it makes sense

Really, just looking at pages you like and trying to recreate what you like is the best practice! Just keep on scrapping and have fun -- that's the most important part
You are a total cluster goddess. I always love your work!!!!
Old 01-17-2018, 12:36 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Thank you so much, Dana!
--
Mama to Albert
Old 01-17-2018, 01:48 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I second that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by danagirl82 View Post
You are a total cluster goddess. I always love your work!!!!
Old 01-17-2018, 03:35 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Argh I am not good at this at all, lol! I tried so mimic some and it out quite like I wanted.

I will keep trying. I might remake that page because I"m not sure I even like it.

Old 01-17-2018, 04:36 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I learned by studying Cindy's gallery!! She's soooo amazing!
https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com...ry.php?cat=624