Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 01-18-2018, 12:17 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Default What motivates you?

To continue to scrapbook? It's the beginning of the year and often times a lot of people will think about starting up again so for those who keep at it all the time what is your biggest motivator to make the time to do layouts?
Old 01-18-2018, 12:31 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I have a couple of reasons.

First, I have an unreasonable fear that I will die before my children are grown. I want them to know without a shadow of a doubt how much their parents love them. To that end I don't just scrap photos, but thoughts, messages and lessons/advice for them. No one else can tell them the feelings in my heart. No one else knows the things I want to teach them. Even their Dad, try though he might. I'm the best one to do that, so I do it now, through my scrapbooking. My girls get it. At 3 yrs old I asked my eldest how she knows mummy loves her. She said "You scrapbook". All too soon my girls will be grown and gone from our home. I use the time I have to say what I can, and record it on a scrapbook page just in case I'm not here one day when they need mum's advice. And just maybe when they're ornery teenagers who don't want to listen to mum, maybe they'll still read their scrapbooks and hear my messages anyway.

Secondly, I scrap for a creative release. It's the one hobby (besides reading) that I do for myself, and I enjoy it. I like recording family history for my immediate and extended family.
Old 01-18-2018, 12:53 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I always have this thought that in future someone will open a photo book and say "wow, look at me/her/him/us/them". Another reason is I quickly forget and when I scrapbook something, it's a great way for me to recall it when I want to. I don't know, I just believe preserving memories is priceless. I have always been fascinated by seeing old family photos. I guess the feeling I get from that makes me want to preserve our key moments as best as I can.
--
Mama to Albert
Old 01-18-2018, 01:02 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My biggest drive is my need to have my hands constantly doing something. I can't just sit and do nothing unless my brain is super engaged (from reading or something). However, I have been known to take long breaks when other things overwhelm me, or when the pressure to make kits more than just a handful of CT's PLUS some outside force (like school for example) topple on me. I'm done with school now, so now I have plenty of time to scrap again!

Old 01-18-2018, 03:32 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Remembering is what motivates me. So many memories and feelings I don’t want to forget.
A close second is my love of color and patterns and being creative.
Old 01-18-2018, 03:43 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I wanted to display my vacation photos in a unique way. Not just put them in an album and call it good. That was my motivation to start scraping in the first place. So my biggest motivation is to get my photobooks printed.

Other than that, scrapping is my creative outlet. I like that I only need a computer, photoshop and scrap kits to be creative.

Old 01-18-2018, 06:01 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Its a creative outlet and I love all the pretty things! Plus the whole memory keeping thing (no one else is going to do it) - it is so satisfying to finally get a printed photobook in my hands. The kids love looking at them too.
Old 01-18-2018, 07:10 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacinda View Post

First, I have an unreasonable fear that I will die before my children are grown. I want them to know without a shadow of a doubt how much their parents love them. To that end I don't just scrap photos, but thoughts, messages and lessons/advice for them. No one else can tell them the feelings in my heart. No one else knows the things I want to teach them. Even their Dad, try though he might. I'm the best one to do that, so I do it now, through my scrapbooking. My girls get it. At 3 yrs old I asked my eldest how she knows mummy loves her. She said "You scrapbook". All too soon my girls will be grown and gone from our home. I use the time I have to say what I can, and record it on a scrapbook page just in case I'm not here one day when they need mum's advice. And just maybe when they're ornery teenagers who don't want to listen to mum, maybe they'll still read their scrapbooks and hear my messages anyway.

Secondly, I scrap for a creative release. It's the one hobby (besides reading) that I do for myself, and I enjoy it. I like recording family history for my immediate and extended family.

This is what keeps me motivated too. Only way I feel I can tell my story and give all the advice I have to share to my kids who are only 3 and 6 now. We never know what tomorrow brings, hopefully we have many more years together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-18-2018, 08:01 AM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

I am with Jacinda. There will be no doubt when I am gone that this kid of mine was loved with all my heart! It has become so important, he gives me the pictures he takes now.
Old 01-18-2018, 08:04 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

1. I've always loved taking photos and almost always kept a diary of some sort. Scrapbooking is the perfect hobby for those two loves. It's something that I really enjoy.

2. I would feel so guilty not using my enormous stash. I don't like to waste money.
Old 01-18-2018, 11:30 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

To tell my story, my way.
Old 01-18-2018, 03:44 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I have been digitally scrapping for 15 years which is longer than I have known my husband or kids, longer than I have lived in this house or any other house I have lived in as an adult, longer than I have worked at any job, longer than I have known my best friend.

It is simply part of me.

I eat, sleep, work, laugh, cry, drive, dream, read, write, cook, hug, love, & scrap. I cannot imagine a universe in which I wouldn't scrap. It would be like imagining not breathing.

Sure, I go through times when I don't scrap as much or as often as other times but there has not been a month that has gone by in the last 15 years when I haven't scrapped at least 3 or 4 pages (and usually many more).
Old 01-18-2018, 04:36 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacinda View Post

Minus the fear that I will die before my children are grown. This is why I do it too. I love being able to tell the stories and advice and feelings I want to, to my kids.

Old 01-18-2018, 06:21 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

One of my motivations is for my kids to be able to look back on their memories. There are a lot of things that they don't remember doing and I love the surprise when they see the photos.
The other motivation is that I have a bunch of old photos from my grandparents - some in scrapbooks, some not - that if anything may have a small blurb about who is in the photo and why the photo was taken. I don't want to pass down photos without passing on the names & stories behind them!
Lastly, I want my grandkids to see what their parents were like as kids!
Old 01-19-2018, 10:08 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Two things, really:

1. My existing layouts. When daughter and I look through them, she loves them, and I do too. Always happy for any story that I was able to document. Looking at my older layouts always motivates me to keep making more.

2. "Me" time. I'm a busy, working mom with always so much to be done. I NEED time just for myself, and scrapbooking is perfect for that. The creative time is super important for my mental health.