Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 10-24-2017, 08:45 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm
Default Thoughts on PL 2017...I mean 2018!!

Have you given any though to your PL 2017 album?
What worked in 2016? Will you continue this same strategy and/or layout? What size are you planning?
Traditional or Digital or Hybrid?
What do you think you should change?
How will you make it easier on yourself to stay current? Or do you not mind being behind?

Last edited by kristalund; 11-07-2017 at 09:59 AM.
Old 10-27-2017, 11:44 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Still debating. The big change I made for my 2016 album was printing in a photobook instead of single pages in an album. I love the smaller size and cheaper overall printing cost, but I hate that I had to completely finish each section of the year before I could print. It means that I delay moving on to the current year a lot longer than I would if I were printing single pages. Objectively I should go back to printing pages and re-gain the freedom to skip around. But I really like the photobook format, and I don't want to give it up.

My pages themselves aren't changing, so I can keep working on them and put off the decision a little longer.
Old 10-28-2017, 07:46 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I'm printing mine with Adoramapix, so maybe by this time next year I'll have it printed. I don't mind waiting to hold the finished product.

I'm not sure what week we're on, but I'm caught up weeks 1-36, with just a couple of weeks in there that have photos in templates & still need to be finished.

One thing is for sure, though, I am not doing pocket scrapping next year. This was my 6th year of it, and I am done.
Old 10-29-2017, 09:38 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

DOH!!

I have been so caught up on trying to complete my PL 2016 album....What I really wanted to ask was about your 2018 PL album! LOL
Old 10-29-2017, 10:53 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristalund View Post
DOH!!

I have been so caught up on trying to complete my PL 2016 album....What I really wanted to ask was about your 2018 PL album! LOL
LOL, I did kind of wonder. I'M NOT DOING A PL ALBUM FOR 2018. And I feel so glad to be done with it. I'm going back to a monthly recap using Cindy's Double Up templates and the rest regular layouts.
Old 10-30-2017, 06:08 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I am kind of all over the place with a few projects on the go. I tend to call mine a Year in Review book then I don't feel pressured to make sure I have something for every week, I do by the month and some months have more pages than others. It's just me and my dog, son away at college so life is pretty quiet here .

I finished 2016 and have it printed, 2015 is scrapped up to June which I did do as weekly and why it is not done. I haven't started anything for 2017 but will probably go with format I used for 2016. My trip to Ireland book has been started.

For 2018 I want to do a 'me' book which will be a photo of me (there aren't many) with a photo or two of something else and a recap of gongs on, favourites etc. Made the cover last night and have a few templates started. We will see how I stick with it
Old 10-30-2017, 06:52 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I also call mine a 'year in review' book. I don't do weekly pages. Just like Jaye I do them by the month and some months have more pages than other. I start every month with a "month in review" 2-page pocket spread. After that 2-page spread I scrap all the individual pages.

For 2018 I also want to include more 'all about me' pages. Not sure if I have them printed in my "Year in review" book or in a seperate "All About Me" book. It will depend on the number of pages I end up with.

Old 10-30-2017, 08:17 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I do weekly pages, and I plan to continue for 2018. I take too many photos to include separate layouts of everything, so this format works well for me. I do get tired of it sometimes, but I try to mix up my kits and layouts every once in a while to keep things fresh. I always think I'll plan in a few theme weeks, like a week of just photos of things we ate, or the books we are reading, or things like that, but then I forget and I have too many off-theme photos that I want to include. I end up with lots of pages--a weekly layout for each week, and usually several other layouts of events/moments from that week which warrant their own pages. I end up with three volumes per year. Yikes. I've never ever said, while looking through my books, "I wish I had less pages," though. So I'm not going to slow down.
Old 10-30-2017, 08:59 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I like the idea of monthly pages but I don't think I could make the switch. lol
Old 10-30-2017, 11:21 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

So this year I am doing a weekly spread for most weeks (some weeks just didn't have enough photos or interesting bits so I just didn't scrap them at all) and using one kit for the whole spread + only embellishing on the cards (not the photos).

I hate it.

If I decide to do it again in 2018 (I don't do it every year), I will go back to my tried & true: a weekly spread using the Design A format with a mishmash of kits & lots of embellishing & stamping on the photos and cards.
Old 10-30-2017, 11:38 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saar View Post
I also call mine a 'year in review' book. I don't do weekly pages. Just like Jaye I do them by the month and some months have more pages than other. I start every month with a "month in review" 2-page pocket spread. After that 2-page spread I scrap all the individual pages.

For 2018 I also want to include more 'all about me' pages. Not sure if I have them printed in my "Year in review" book or in a seperate "All About Me" book. It will depend on the number of pages I end up with.
I'm thinking my Me, This Year book will be separate and done weekly. It will force me to be in a picture and journal more. Wish me luck!
Old 10-30-2017, 01:11 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Good luck. Can't wait to see your beautiful pages in the gallery!

I'm thinking about doing these type of All about me pages.

And all kinds of 'currently' pages.

Old 10-30-2017, 02:00 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I love it Sarah!

A www, thank you. I have my cover page finished but am on my iPad so can't share it at the moment. Hoping it will be a mush mash of things, kind of all over the place, I can be like that sometimes, lol. Organized, scattered, outgoing in some situations and with some people, reserved and quiet in others. I am a ball of contradictions
Old 10-30-2017, 11:03 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I do PL as weekly pages. I think I'd get overwhelmed with monthly pages--I kind of need the push to keep most weeks on one 2-page spread. I think I'd end up with way too many pages if I tried to do it monthly and didn't have that incentive to cut out photos.

I do a 2-page spread most weeks. Once in a while I have a light week and just do 1 page, and once in a while we had so many scrap-worthy moments that I need to do 3 or 4 pages. I also scrap traditional pages with the best photos and stories. I print them all in the same photobook. Each month I do a section of pocket pages first then a section of traditional layouts. The mix is perfect for me--I have too many photos and stories to give everything its own page, but this lets me still include them.

Every year that I've done PL I've simplified further, and that's what keeps it doable for me. I have a folder of favorite embellishments. For each page, I first make it with only photos and journaling cards. Then I either pick 1 kit to embellish with or I decide to use my favorites folder. Either way, I try to limit myself to a few quick clusters and a few single elements. As of now, I think I'll be doing the same for 2018. I'm finally at the point where I can't think of ways to simplify more, at least not ways that appeal to me. The biggest time suck is sorting photos and deciding what to use, but there's just no good way around that.
Old 11-02-2017, 06:56 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristalund View Post
DOH!!

LOL! I'm still working on my 2016 album, also. I'm complete through the end of July and that may be the most I have any year complete since I started PL in 2012. I *will* finish 2016, hopefully by the end of January 2018. I haven't even started making the spreads for 2017, yet, although I have memorabilia in the album and some of the journal cards made. I <3 my PL albums, and plan to continue in 2018.

I use pocket pages and use traditional paper supplies for the most part. I do PL monthly, with as many pages as it takes to hold all the pictures and cards for that month. When I first started, I added 12x12 layouts after that month's pocket pages. Then I stopped making current layout and focused my digital scrapbooking on filling in holes in my older albums. Lately, though, I've started making current layouts again and I think I'll start mixing layouts in with my pocket pages again.
Old 11-05-2017, 12:31 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm actually staying pretty current this year! I have done up to week 38 which is AMAZING considering I've been stuck on a tractor for the last month. Lol.

I really want to go back and finish 2016 though. Having a baby really screwed up my scrapping. I also need to finish up his baby book but that is a HUGE project thanks to my never ending picture taking. lol.

For 2018, I plan on keeping most things the same. I will probably pick a couple of new fonts, but plan on sticking to weekly spreads (with some additions for special occasions with tons of pictures) and single kits. I really like the simple style that lets my pictures really stand out!