Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Default Currently Reading Week of 7/17

What's the last book you finished?
What are you reading right now?
What's on your TBR?

The Wanderer in Unknown Realms by John Connolly - enjoyed it gave it 3 stars

Hild by Nicola Griffith - historical fiction set in 7th century Britain. I really was enjoying this one and then about half way through it got boring and kind of dragged. 3 stars

The Mysterious Howling (The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place #1)
by Maryrose Wood
- this was cute..kind of lower middle grade but it's the first in like a 6-7 book series and I'm not sure if I'll be continuing them just b/c there's so much else I'd rather read. 3 stars

Miramont's Ghost by Elizabeth Hall - this book was terrible. Just awful writing, characters I didn't care a flip about, a weird plot..I skimmed the last half of the book. I think it was a kindle first book a few months ago? IDK I haven't had much luck with those and I'm beginning to see why they're offering them free.

The Broken Lands by Kate Milford

This is the prequel to a book I read a few months ago called The Boneshaker which I really liked. This is YA fantasy/horror set during the turn of the century. I didn't enjoy this one as much as The Boneshaker but it was still really good. Great illustrations too.

The Way of Kings (The Stormlight Archive #1)by Brandon SandersonStill listening to the audible book...it is SO.GOOD. I'm 50% done and ahhh just so good. If you love high fantasy get it!

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee - I hadn't read this in 25 years since I was 16 years old and since I picked up Go Set A Watchman I wanted to reread it. I remember the basics of the story but had forgotten how amazing Harper Lee's writing is. I started it last night and I've only got about 100 pages left. I keep reading passages aloud to DH and it's made me even more excited for GSAW.

And I'm still reading Sea of Monsters by Rick Riordan with the kids. I had my thyroid removed last week so I can't talk very well..we've not made much progress :/

What's on your TBR?

If I just can't wait after I finish The Way of Kings I'm going to go ahead and listen to Words of Radiance

But Armada by Ernest Cline will be in my next round of books for sure...

and my next physical book will of course be Go Set A Watchman by Harper Lee

Old 07-17-2015, 10:39 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I recently finished the first 3 books of the Selection series. LOVED those.

I'm currently reading Crooked Little Lies (a Kindle First selection this month).

Currently listening to Finding Audrey by Sophie Kinsella.

TBR - To Kill A Mockingbird (like you, Nikki, I haven't read it since high school) and then GSAW
Old 07-18-2015, 01:35 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Recently finished ...

A Man Call Ove by Fredrik Backman - Loved it. Probably one of my favorite reads so far this year.

I am Pilgrim by Terry Hayes - This one was a pager turner. Requires a bit of suspension of disbelief, but I didn't mind.

Currently Reading

The Royal We by Heather Cocks

Next up...

The Signature of All Things by Elizabeth Gilbert
Old 07-19-2015, 01:44 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Dorothy Must Die by Danielle Paige

The White Witch by B.C. Morin

What's on your TBR?
A LOT
Old 07-19-2015, 03:42 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I just finished The One by Keira Cass (along with The Selection and The Elite). I need to order The Heir ASAP - loved the series so far.

Right now I'm reading these 2:

Girl of Fire and Thorns link

A Great and Terrible Beauty link

Both are kind of meh for me. I guess I'm just not in the mood for fantasy right now....I need a good epic romance next I think.

Oh yeah - Next I'm starting Outlander by Diane Gabaldon.
Old 07-19-2015, 07:22 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

The last book I read was
Treasure Hunters by James Patterson and Chris Grabenstein I read it aloud to my kids, but it was a really fun read.
I'm currently reading:
Because He Loves Me by Elyse Fitzpatrick If you've ever thought Christianity was all about guilt and rules, this book counters all those ideas. I love it.
Land of Stories Book 4 This is YA, but it's a really fun series.

Up Next:
Sacred Marriage
Old 07-19-2015, 09:28 PM
Administrator

profile gallery send pm

I just finished Wrecked - which was fab and I'm reading I'll give you the Sun now.
Old 07-20-2015, 12:08 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I just finished The Girl With All the Gifts . I am probably the only person in America that didn't know it was a zombie book. A few pages in I was like....wait...I think she's a....
Awesome book!! My daughter thought it was cool I was reading it!!

I also read Ghost in the Wires which was about the worlds first/most wanted computer hacker Kevin Mitnick. I loved every minute of this book - it got technical at times (talking about source code) but for the most part anyone can understand it!! He was listening to the feds listening to him!

I only read 1/2 of Lean In: Women, Work, and the Will to Lead by Sheryl Sandberg . It was just like her Ted Talks and I think I studied so much of her in school that I knew all the stories. I may revisit it later.

I just bought The Heir and have read one paragraph!

My daughter Elyse just bought The Red Queen so once she's finished I"ll start that. She's already crying and she's on page 2. Can't wait to see what that's about!!

I know this is older (I'm way behind)...Has anyone read The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo? What did you think?
Cherry - let us know what you think of The White Witch!

Last edited by Kjersti; 07-20-2015 at 12:13 AM.
Old 07-20-2015, 07:28 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjersti View Post
I know this is older (I'm way behind)...Has anyone read The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo? What did you think?
It's been awhile, but from what I remember, I found the unfolding of the story and characters gripping. The brutal assaults were too much for me and the ending was disappointing (not awful, I think I was just expecting to be amazed since the rest of the story telling was so great). In the end, I decided not to continue with the series.
Old 07-20-2015, 08:51 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I've been so busy the past couple of months that I hardly remember! I've started and stopped a bunch of books though.

But technically the last book I completed was the Martian and it was great! Such a fun read for science/space geeks.

What's on your TBR?