Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > 2017 Sweet Little Holiday Party

Old 12-06-2017, 02:21 PM
Sugar Cookie

profile gallery send pm
Default Dec 7 - Worst/Funniest Christmas Gift Received *CLOSED*

Hello hello! This is really the most wonderful time of the year, and I'm enjoying every minute of it! I hope you all are too!

One of the best things about Christmas is, of course, the giving and receiving of presents. However, I'm sure I'm not the only one who's gotten a gift that made me scratch my head, or something that I had absolutely no use for. So today, I want you to share with me the worst or funniest Christmas gift you've ever received!

For me, the funniest thing I've gotten was from my husband. It was actually a birthday/Christmas present as my birthday is in January. He got me a mouse to use with my laptop and when I opened it, I was just like... what?! You got me a mouse for Christmas??? LOL. It did turn out to be super useful as it's wireless and goes on any surface, including carpet and the couch, so now I can scrap anywhere I want!

For sharing your Christmas gift story, you'll receive this ombre solid paper pack from me!

Deadline is 11:59pm EST, December 8. Looking forward to reading your stories!

Last edited by GraceLee; 12-06-2017 at 02:24 PM.
Old 12-07-2017, 01:17 AM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

This isn't a funny gift, but it was a funny experience... I grew up in the 80s and was always really into music. One Christmas season I was looking at my still-wrapped gifts and found a small rectangular box. I was very curious about what it could be. My mother was so incredulous... "You REALLY don't know what it is?!" she kept asking, but I didn't. I was drawing a complete blank! I felt so foolish when I opened it on Christmas and it was a cassette tape! How did I not see that???

My worst gift was the first Christmas I was married to my first husband. Christmas morning there was NOTHING under the tree for me! When I questioned him about it he said, "Well you collect Precious Moments and this store is having their Previous Moments on a big sale tomorrow so I figured we could go then to get you something!" Oh Lord. I had to teach him that year that we a spouse should never have NOTHING under the tree. If nothing else, there should be a small gift with a note explaining the future gift.
Old 12-07-2017, 01:56 AM
Sweets

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to mommyofphoenix07

I'm terrible at remembering these things but just this last year...

SO's family has a 'grownups get underwear for Christmas' tradition.

Grannies panties. We all lol got grannie panties this last year. They were pretty awful. And yet...I still have them haha.
Old 12-07-2017, 02:21 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Hmmm...I can't remember anything that makes a good story. The only thing that comes to mind is a very ornate picture frame (not my style at all).

The closest I have to a funny story is that when I was in elementary school, the PTA ran a small gift shop as a fundraiser around the holidays. They had inexpensive things that kids could buy to give to friends or siblings. My sister and I bought each other the exact same gift, a set of pens that looked like lollipops.

Last edited by rach3975; 12-07-2017 at 02:28 AM.
Old 12-07-2017, 02:28 AM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

My sister-in-law bought me a bottle of Chanel No. 5 perfume a long time ago.
It was a nice gift but when put it on I got sick. Totally turned me off of perfume.
Old 12-07-2017, 02:38 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

A few years ago I got a (second hand) stroller from my uncle's girlfriend. I don't even have a baby or I wasn't expecting one either.

I proudly create for Studio Basic designs, Libby Pritchett, Brook Magee & WendyP Designs

Proud October/November 2017 guest for Kristin Cronin Barrow
Old 12-07-2017, 02:39 AM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

My worst "gift" was a gastrointestinal flu I got on Christmas morning when I was a child. Everyone was enjoying Christmas and I had to lie on the couch or visit the bathroom very often. Otherwise I always got nice presents.
Old 12-07-2017, 02:48 AM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

My worst then, now funny, Christmas present I ever got was when I was 7. You know, my birthday happens to be in December so I only get one gift for both dates, sad. There was a time I got lice running all over my head. SO, my dad thought it'd be a lesson learned not to play with all kids and be like really "glued" to one another, so he gifted me a lice comb for my 7th birthday and Christmas. OTL

❤️♡❤️♡❤️♡❤️♡❤️♡
deviantART - Gallery
Old 12-07-2017, 03:25 AM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

Every year my MIL buys me clothes. The bad thing is, it's the style she (and only she) likes. During the first years I used to keep them but never actually wear them. Now I just return them to the store to get something I like.
Last year she gave me a huge ugly jacket, made of the hardest wool (or blend?) you can imagine. Though it was Medium size, it was huge for me. I returned it and got 3 pairs of leggings, socks and underwear.
Old 12-07-2017, 03:56 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm terrible at remembering those but I usually receive gifts from my mother-in-law that I never like because we have a totally different taste for fashion lol
Last thing I received was a bag but OMG, it was in a strange vivid fuchsia color, military style with all kind of patches!
The other thing was a woven top in plain beige (I hate that color), in size too small for me. I have asked like a thousand times to not buy me clothes because 1. I probably won't like them and 2. they probably won't fit (ALWAYS the case) but she keeps on buying those for me I feel uncomfortable because she spends money on things I don't like and I have to pretend that I like them because otherwise I'd feel bad
--
New parent to a baby boy
Old 12-07-2017, 04:43 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

This story is very funny (to us it is anyway....it might be a 'you had to be there' story to think it's funny. LOL) Anyhoo, we were celebrating Christmas and since we did Secret Santa we all made a little wishlist. One of the items on my husbands list was 'Van Gils - Between Sheets gift package'. This has been my husbands favorite scent for a long time so we thought it would be a good item for the list. Well, Christmas comes along and we start unwrapping gifts when my husbands opens a package with deluxe wrapping paper (bows/ribbon etc) and we just baffled to why he would get this. Turns out.....the Secret Santa just read 'gift package' and thought he wanted deluxe wrapping paper. I almost peed my pants when I realized what happened. We all thought it was funny and I decided to buy my husband his favorite Van Gils scent myself
Old 12-07-2017, 05:15 AM
Sugar Cookie

profile gallery send pm

I've always been lucky with getting awesome gifts for Christmas. But one unwanted gift I received was a beesting on the hand just before Christmas - and I'm super allergic to bee venom. So I spent a whole summer holiday with a tennis-ball sized hand. Not much fun when you're a kid
Old 12-07-2017, 05:48 AM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

It terrible for me when Christmas is coming last 2 year ago my oldest boy it broken left hand . Make never forgot , on that time my boy it so painful and health it not good , and it again over 1 year , his hand still left metal then surgery again takeout metal on time Christmas that why , it now Christmas coming soon make me remember him again. Now for him it all good. Gob bless .
Old 12-07-2017, 05:54 AM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

My favorite gift as a child was the watch I received as a gift. It is a memory that is always with me because I was sick with the flu and had pink eye too. My mom has a great picture of me loving the watch with my 'pink' swollen eyes. So I sort of had a best and worst.
Old 12-07-2017, 06:06 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I was celebrating Christmas with the family of my new husband and as we were opening gifts I realized everyone was getting socks! I was so shocked because I didn't consider them a Christmas item!
Old 12-07-2017, 06:25 AM
Sugar Baby

profile gallery send pm

My worst gift was from my Mom. She knit everyone a sweater and all looked really nice. Except when I put mine on one sleeve went just past my elbow and the other sleeve hung down past my finger tips. Not sure but she may have been unhappy with me that year because no one else problems with their sweaters.
Old 12-07-2017, 07:30 AM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

It is when you are older and you realize it is not about getting but giving. We didn't always have alot of presents for Christmas when I was younger, my single mother had 3 kids, I being the oldest. The toughest year was when I was about 19 and working and it was me who provided the presents for my siblings so they would have something under the tree. It was a tough year on my brother and sister who were like me when I was younger wondering why we didn't get what we wanted, and that was hard for me to watch. But what was good about it is they had something to open Christmas Day and today I try to make Christmas very special for my son the entire season rather just on gift day.
Old 12-07-2017, 07:32 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I don't think I've ever gotten a bad Christmas present, and if I have, I don't remember it for sure. But this one made me laugh:
Old 12-07-2017, 07:48 AM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

My worst gifts have been from my husband. He means well and is trying to get me something he thinks I will like. A couple of years ago he gave my mother a Keurig- something I really wanted. My mother didn't even want hers, as she made me return it for her a couple of weeks after Christmas. I got a triple crockpot, which I think I have used a grand total of 2 times at this point. I stewed about that for weeks. It turns out that he wasn't being totally dense that year. My birthday is in January, and he was planning on getting me a Keurig for that event.
I have now instituted the rule that unless I (or he) ask for a specific kitchen/cleaning appliance/tool that they are not to be under the tree. I have actually asked for a steam mop this year LOL

Last edited by mmbstaley; 12-07-2017 at 07:53 AM.
Old 12-07-2017, 08:00 AM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

The worst gift I have ever gotten was a miniature fry daddy. It was so small, I don't think you could even make a full serving of anything in it. I think it might have been regifted to me.
Old 12-07-2017, 08:08 AM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

I opened a little matchbox one year, sent over from my mum in Scotland. All that was inside was a little note saying Scottish air. It has to be my favourite present ever. Even funnier because ironically, as mum was a heavy smoker, there was no fresh air just strong ciggie smoke, even after 2 weeks in transit to Australia.

And inspired by that present, my youngest daughter was due to start school in january this year and she was notoriously loud - 2 noise levels only, maximum or off. So for her christmas I gave a prettily wrapped box containing just a note saying... congratulations, how exciting! Now that you are starting school, you have earned your quiet voice. What an achievement! Enjoy it and share this exciting gift willingly. It has made the odd appearance, but not as often as I'd hoped lol
Old 12-07-2017, 09:17 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I got a pair of onion-cutting goggles one year. It was definitely a well-intentioned gift, but I try not to collect kitchen gadgets and most of the time cutting onions doesn't bother my eyes too much.
Old 12-07-2017, 09:36 AM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

I’m not a big fan of Christmas as it is, I find it too corporate and not enough about family togetherness, I much prefer Thanksgiving. Anyhow, despite this, I am a GREAT gift giver! I always give thoughtful, personal gifts, even when I’m broke I will find a way to DIY something for you. So, imagine my disappointment when, several years back, I received FIVE scarves, all from members of my family. FIVE. Who needs five scarves??? I live in North Carolina and am an avid crocheter for pete’s Sake!!! The worst part was their reasoning: I didn’t know what to get you, so I got you a scarf! �� so, apparently, no one in my family knows me at all. Nah Humbug, my loathe was solidified.

Since I came off sounding like a total grinch, I'm editing to add my best gift ever.

My mother had me when she was in high school and even though we lived with my grandmother, we didn't have a lot of money. For Christmas one year I REALLY wanted a Cabbage Patch doll - in fact, EVERYONE wanted a cabbage patch doll, they were not cheap and not easy to come by. So, on Christmas morning when I didn't get one I was silently disappointed, but I didn't say anything because I understood the monetary limitations of my family. Imagine my surprise when we went to church that night for the Christmas service and there was a donated anonymous gift with my name on it!! Opening that doll was perhaps one of the most joyous moments of my childhood that I can remember. I named her Cabbie and she was my best friend, we did everything together, and I took pristine care of her because I understood her value explicitly. To this day, I have no idea who donated her!

Last edited by karlimarie; 12-07-2017 at 10:57 AM.
Old 12-07-2017, 09:49 AM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

the worst gifts EVERY year come from one of my sisters. she and i have totally opposite tastes in everything and she has no clue. every year, she gives me a scarf. now, that must sound nice BUT i never wear scarves ... these are the kind you wear indoors .. fancy ones .. and always in a color that i detest. let's see if i get yet another little flat box this year ... if so, it's going straight to the Salvation Army.

COLOR possesses me. I don't have to pursue it. It will possess me always, I know it. That is the meaning of this happy hour: COLOR and I are one. I am a painter. Paul Klee
Old 12-07-2017, 09:55 AM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

I'm not really good at telling stories… Anyway, I guess the worst Xmas present I got was a decorative beer mug at one of those Secret Santa parties. I don't drink beer and the mug wasn't pretty at all, so it couldn't be used for decorative purposes. On top of that, I had to pay a forfeit for not being able to guess what the gift was.
Old 12-07-2017, 09:55 AM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

When I was a teenager I played guitar. Nothing like rock or anything, just acoustic chords and stuff. So for Christmas my aunt (whom I love deeply but can give the weirdest gifts sometimes) gave me a belt in neon colors with guitars all over it. That was it. I was the quiet girl in school and would've never worn this. Its honestly the ugliest thing I've ever seen! Of course we've never said anything to my aunt, but my mom and sister and I still laugh about it all the time.
Old 12-07-2017, 10:06 AM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

My BIL got my husband a big box of kosher salt one year. Just a box of salt, nothing else and gave no explanation. We're still scratching our heads, and still using it, years later - it was that big of a box. LOL
Old 12-07-2017, 10:11 AM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

A bright red/orange scarf in a silky material from my in-laws. Never worn it.
Old 12-07-2017, 10:19 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My husband insists I'm hard to buy for. Apparently, requesting that he not purchase things for the house as Christmas presents for me is asking too much. I'm sorry if I don't want to unwrap pot holders on Christmas morning.
Old 12-07-2017, 10:22 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

This happened when I was 7 or 8 years old. I was known to be the bookworm in the family, and every year when I was a kid, we will stay in grandparents' house for Christmas reunion. My grandfather on my father's side was also a bookworm. He has his own library at home. But whenever we visit in the province I will always stay away from him because he always pulls me aside to make me read books, and I'm like thinking that I was only 7 and I want to play. So one time when he pulls me aside, I ran away when he turned his back. And I think he remembered that because come the day of gift giving, he gave my cousins hundred bucks each, and I received 20 with a rip on the upper ear and some really really old books. During that time I was really sad. But when I got home my father told me that someday I would think of that day and laugh because the old books are more important to me that the ripped 20 bucks I received.
Old 12-07-2017, 10:28 AM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

As poor college students my husband was trying to be practical one year... I ended up unwrapping scotch tape and lined paper as two of my gifts!
Old 12-07-2017, 10:39 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

My worst would be the Chicken pox from my nephews when I was in 8th grade.

My best would be my Precious Moments nativity I received the Christmas before I was engaged. That was also the first Christmas in a VERY long time that all of my family was together. My 2 oldest siblings went through some tough times and weren't around for many years. That Christmas, they both showed up with their families, making it one of the best Christmas gifts ever!

The funniest would be gift packaging growing up. We had an old box with a woman modeling underwear on the front of it (no clue). We loved to use that box to wrap a gift for the men in the family. It was a race to see who could get to the box first, since noone wanted to receive the box, but we couldn't wait to give it!
Old 12-07-2017, 10:42 AM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

I can't even remember what the gift was but I do remember my dad going out of town for Christmas so we had to celebrate in early January. My birthday is Jan 15th so he decided he would get me one gift for both and it wasn't even something cool or expensive like a mouse that will work on carpet. I was so disappointed because no one even paid attention while I was opening it.
Old 12-07-2017, 10:51 AM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

I would like to share to you my worst, but little funny Chrsitmas case. When I was a chlidren, once a Christmas tree fallen down, and some of Christmass balls smashed. First we scared, but then we laughed all right. After that, we have always laid the tree to the wall.
Old 12-07-2017, 11:07 AM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

My best Christmas present was when I was about 5. My grandfather worked for the railroad as a conductor on the trains so we didn't see him very much because he was traveling. We woke up one Christmas morning to him sleeping on our couch. He had arrived in town in the middle of the night and came to spend Christmas morning with us. What a Surprise for us! His name was Charlie and he called us Charlie's Angels!
Old 12-07-2017, 11:08 AM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

One of the funniest gifts? I don't know if it's the funniest, but I was quite amused the year my husband gave me a lace teddy and a butcher knife for Christmas.
Old 12-07-2017, 11:17 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My dad always gets us all the same present. A couple of years ago he thought it would be fun to get us the gallon size bubbles. Which would have been so bad except for the fact that it was snowing outside so everyone started blowing bubbles inside on my moms linoleum. It was a slippery mess!
Old 12-07-2017, 11:20 AM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

I got a stuffed pug purse from my ex-boyfriend's mom for Christmas one year. I was in my late twenties and that gift really stuck out as a what were you thinking gift.
Old 12-07-2017, 11:21 AM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

My worst, but also sweetest, gift happened the Christmas after my Mom died. I was 27 & my brother & I both came home & I think Dad felt he needed to do all the family traditions so he went shopping for stocking stuffers for us. And that is how we ended up with bandaids, razor blades, deoderant & other things from the supermarket personal care aisle in our stockings. Luckily, they were all things we could use but John & I were both amused at how clueless our very smart college professor dad was about what might go in a stocking!

And andastra reminds me of the other worst Christmas gift I got. When I was 9, I came down with my second case of strep throat in 3 months ON Christmas Eve. I still have vivid memories of lying on the couch hugging my new doll & just looking at the Christmas tree, too sick to do anything else.

On the bright side, I've never forgotten either of these Christmases & still think of my Dad every time I buy a box of bandaids!
Old 12-07-2017, 11:29 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to haydensmommy217

Never got a bad gift or have a funny story.

My worst would be getting vertigo for a week up until Christmas one year. It was not fun what so ever.

(Siggy made by MommaTrish)

Proudly Creating For:
Jady Day Studio, Becca Bonneville, Lliella Designs, Sugary Fancy Designs, Meghan Mullens, Digilicious Designs, Miss Mel and Miss Fish.
I have guested for Kristin Cronin-Barrow, Traci Reed and Krystal Hartley.

♥♥Facebook♥♥Pinterest♥♥Gallery♥♥
Old 12-07-2017, 11:40 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

My ex-mother-in-law used to give me the most random gifts every Christmas. Some of my "favorites" included a stone garden fountain in the shape of a dolphin, a ceramic giraffe statue, and an adult-size Tweety Bird onesie.
Old 12-07-2017, 11:47 AM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

Oh my goodness! I have really enjoyed reading all of these stories!! At first I thought I didn't have a "worst" Christmas gift, but as I read it reminded me of a gift my husband gave me about 10 years ago... He found that he could put personalized messages & photos on M&Ms, so he put his picture on them. I got a bag full of M&Ms that had his photo on them!! :P
Old 12-07-2017, 12:00 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

I don't drink alcohol at all. But for some reason one year three different people (who all know I don't drink) decided to gift me with wine. My parents loved the gifts instead!
Old 12-07-2017, 12:02 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

I have to say that the absolute worst gift I ever received for Christmas was the "A Christmas Story Major Award - Leg Lamp".

Definitely not my idea of "the perfect gift"
Old 12-07-2017, 12:14 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I have a gluten intolerance, and we’ve all known about it for years now. So a few years ago, my step-mom gave me a lovely box of Godiva chocolate cookies, made with wheat flour. Um, thanks? For the cookies that will make me sick?

These stories are fun to read!
Old 12-07-2017, 12:22 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I joke that the worst present I ever got for christmas was my baby brother, as he was brought home from the hospital on christmas eve.

I really can't think of any bad gifts. or weird ones. Except my inlaws continuing to always give us our gift weeks late and choose gifts that don't suit us....
Old 12-07-2017, 12:44 PM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm
Default Christmas Gift

I have really thought about this and I can't think of a bad gift I have received at Christmas. But the year my sister got her stereo really sticks out. When we walked into the the living room and saw the presents under the tree, she knew due to the size the stereo was, that the stereo she wanted was not there. So the entire time we are opening presents, she is grumpy and not appreciative of anything she opens (we have video of this). My parents actually did buy the stereo and had it hidden in the garage. Looking back now - with the way she acted, I would have took the stereo back. However, my parents did tell her where it was a few hours later and she was so excited. I digitized our family videos a few years ago and gave them to my siblings as Christmas gifts. That is one video clip we all laugh over.
Old 12-07-2017, 12:55 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I would have to say, the worst gift I got would be from a family member. One year, she bought this god awful sweater, in the most atrocious pattern. Totally not something I would wear. Not even close to my style or taste. And with the way it looked I wouldn't even donate it.

Happily creating for Two Tiny Turtles, Blagovesta, Amber Shaw, WendyP & Ru

Facebook | Instagram | Gallery
Old 12-07-2017, 01:10 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have a hard time remembering these things, but I'll never forget waking up Christmas morning to a guest room toilet clog and leak through the floor to the ceiling of the kitchen below!
Old 12-07-2017, 01:20 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

When I was a kid my worst gift was a waterpik from my mom. Of course it was a good thing to get, however I thought I was getting toys. lol