Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: how did you meet your DH?
met my DH online 26 18.84%
met my DH at school 32 23.19%
met my DH via friend introduction 25 18.12%
met my DH via family introduction 4 2.90%
met my DH at church 11 7.97%
met my DH at a bar/club/gym 9 6.52%
other (tell me the option I missed!) 31 22.46%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-25-2010, 09:08 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I put church... but it was a combo of church and school. We met an a church social before the semester started and then we happen to have a class together 5 days a week! Without that class, it wouldn't have happened... but because of it, we sat and talked, did labs together, and became best friends and THEN the romance started. Perfect for me!
Old 05-25-2010, 09:11 AM
Sweets

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmy View Post
Wal-mart. I met my dh at Wal-mart.
lol that's awesomely epic! I'll never think of Men's Department in the same way ever again
Old 05-25-2010, 09:13 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Well, we aren't married yet but I met him at work 14 years ago. We started dating in beginning of 07 then broke up for a few months but got back together and have been together pretty much ever since.

~~Siggie by Laura (emmasmommy)~~
Old 05-25-2010, 09:15 AM
Brodo gettin her Swerb on

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to ColleenSwerb

Gosh, so many of you met and got married so fast! Jordan and I were together 4 years before we finally tied the knot, lol.

I chose through a friend introduction, but only because work wasn't an option
I had just started working after college. I had moved down here and was living with my college boyfriend (who I KNEW wasn't going to work out, but hadn't worked up the courage to break his heart :/). I shared a large-ish cubicle with 2 other people, one of whom was a guy my age, so we got along pretty well. About 2 weeks after I started our company was having it's annual summer picnic, so I went (with the bf). My cubicle mate had brought along several of his friends from back home to the picnic, and one of them was Jordan. I was instantly smitten, but obviously couldn't pursue. That was July. I moved into my own place in September. We all played poker at work during lunch, and had started hosting games at our own places after work. My cubicle mate brought Jordan to a few of them, and since I was then single, I started working on him

At the end of October I was going up to the PSU homecoming game with my college friends, when my cubicle mate said that he might be going too cuz Jordan had gotten tickets. Naturally, I forced him to come tailgate with us, and then party after the game at the bar. We flirted and danced and had a good time. He jokingly sang a song to me, then got a ticket for public urination. I was staying out in a camper at the stadium, and he was staying wtih an ex-gf in her apt (with 4 other girls), so I jumped on a bus real quick and had to go. I just said "gotta go, bye!" and that was it, but I wasn't gonna go to his ex-gf's place! LOL! To this day he teases me that I left him cold and alone in the middle of State College without even a kiss goodbye, lol. That Monday the Steelers were playing on MNF so I went over to hang out. I ended up never leaving and we stayed up til 4am talking, and the rest is history That was November 2005, we got engaged in August 2007, and married this past October
Old 05-25-2010, 09:15 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

We met at work. We sat beside each other in the Morse Aisle, listening to Morse Code. LOL! He was in the Navy & I was in the Air Force. That was over 9 years ago.
Old 05-25-2010, 09:27 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I voted other, because his brother(who is my friend) introduced us....it's a totally long and hilarious story, but we became fast friends, dated mostly online for a year(he was overseas with the military so we had very little time together), got engaged 13 months after we met, and got married 12.5 months later. We'll celebrate our 4th anniversary this fall <3 and are more in love every single day. He's truly my soul mate. We've been through some rough times but we've come through stronger than ever.
Old 05-25-2010, 09:29 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to pewtertm

DH and I met online, became best friends (lots of 3 and 4 hour phone calls LOL...he wound up sending me a cell phone so that we could talk and I wouldn't have to fiddle with those calling cards), and have now been married for 5-1/2 yrs.
Old 05-25-2010, 09:48 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My DH and I met at work, so I chose "other."

We were both in college, working at a local grocery store chain. He worked in frozen foods and I was a bakery babe. That was 14 years ago. We were together for 4 years before we got married and just recently celebrated our 10th wedding anniversary!
Old 05-25-2010, 09:55 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to BrattyMeg

DH and I met thru friends in '99. I had just moved to a new town clear across the country for work and and he was really good friends with one of my new work friends. We all hung out and I was instantly smitten.

~~Click Here~~
to visit my shoppe
Old 05-25-2010, 09:58 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Des and I met when I was 12 years old, at my high school. He was cutting class from his high school, and came to hang out with his friends, who were the brothers of one of my friends. Whenever I was at my friend's house, it seemed he was always there too. We were only friends for many years though.
He dated my best friend, and I dated his best friend for a period of time, when I became pregnant with my first child. Des is Cody's godfather, which gets a kind of odd reaction when people find out. lol
Des was always there for me when I needed to vent or bash on the guy(s) in my life. When I was pregnant with my daughter, her bio-dad and I broke up, and I was a mess. I phoned Des, because I needed to talk to someone, and after many conversations, I found out that he had liked me for a very, very, very long time.
We started dating when I was 8 months pregnant with Jenna, he moved back to the town we grew up in when Jenna was a week old, and we got engaged a few months later. That was 11 years ago, and we are still going strong (despite a bit of problems back in 2003, where we were actually legally separated for almost 6 months).
Old 05-25-2010, 10:01 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

At work.
Old 05-25-2010, 10:06 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Well I have known my hubby since I was 16 years old ... but it wasn't someone I even considered dating. lol I thought he was a LOT older than me so therefore I didn't pay him a lot of attention (he had a receding hairline even at 17). I could have found out his age if I had just asked my mom because ...

- His dad was a supervisor at TG&Y
- My mom was HIS dad's secretary at TG&Y
- My dad worked at the TG&Y office and his dad reported "shortages" in shipments to my dad weekly
- His brother worked at the TG&Y warehouse in the summers where my dad's office was located.
- His sister at one time worked with my mom as a secretary at TG&Y
- When I turned 21 I was hired as a supervisor's secretary to HIS BOSS at TG&Y
- I had to call him at LEAST once or twice weekly for my boss because he was a TG&Y Store Manager

I used to call all the stores under my supervisor weekly...sometimes a couple of times asking that they get certain things done and ask for paperwork and such. I could almost hear the *groan* when the office personnel would say "Sharon is on the phone" because they knew it meant more work. Well Steve was ALWAYS very upbeat and would say something like "whatcha got for me now? Oh no problem ... consider it done" etc. etc. Well I got to where I called him FIRST because he got me all "up" and inspired to call the other store managers. (by the way I hadn't seen him in years so couldn't even remember what he looked like)

One day I called Steve and he surprised me by saying "oh what now?! What could you possibly want?" ... and I thought to myself "oh jeesh if HE is saying that ... what are all the other store managers going to say? I better think of something quick!" ... so jokingly I said "well um... I wanted a LUNCH, and oh yeah Mr. Tidwell wanted you to ...." .... well he repeats back the list of items INCLUDING "lunch" ... and I say "uh yeah right" and hang up.

I then went on to call all the other stores ... but kept thinking about that "lunch thing". I went out on the store floor (the supervisor's office was physically located inside a store but kinda hidden) and asked Carol that had worked with Steve in that store before for like 4 years and was friends with him ... "This is what I said to Steve..." and "Do you think he took me seriously?" ... she laughed and said "oh no Steve is such a joker...don't think about it ... he was just kidding back".

I went back into my office and called my mom (her office was in a different store but she had worked in that building previously and knew Steve for about 4 years too) ... told her what I said and she said the same thing ... no he's just a joker and was kidding back. Then she told me I need to hurry over and get my reports run (she had a photocopier at her office but I didn't) and in the mail. ...so I took off for her office and locked mine ...

Well the next day I show up at my office and Carol met me the minute I walked in ... "Guess who showed up yesterday to take you to lunch?!" ... UH OH ... I walked over to my office and the phone was already ringing ... I knew who that was going to be!

I answered the phone and Steve was on it asking me why I asked him to lunch and then wasn't there. Oh jeesh there was some fast talking (no idea what I said) ... but in the long run agreed to go to lunch with him the next week.

The following day I was out on the sales floor talking to Carol about something and standing upstairs near the entrance ... when suddenly the store door opens ... a BLUR rushes past and out the exit ... I find myself standing there with a manilla envelope in my hand ... and it had the store # on it that Steve was the manager of. Carol burst out laughing and said "that must have been Steve planning on sneaking up and checking you out before your date next week and you surprised him by standing here". She was laughing so hard.

... well after that lunch date the next week we started dating ... we dated for 4 years before we got married ... and we have been married 26 years as of last week!! He always tells people that I picked him up over the telephone!

I kinda think it was fate ... I had told my daddy when I was a little girl that when I grew up I was going to marry a TG&Y man just like my daddy. ... and jeesh you couldn't get two families more entwined in TG&Y than our two families!!

you know what ... I think we need to have this as a BOM portfolio challenge!! I've never scrapped this story.

...oh and he knew I loved Disney (especially Jiminy Cricket) and he used to always draw on the envelopes he sent me with his weekly reports with Disney characters and colored them in ... I saved every one of those drawings!
Old 05-25-2010, 10:15 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to pewtertm

Sharon, I've told you more than once that you needed to do a TG&Y layout
Old 05-25-2010, 10:16 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

at work.

We both worked for the same flower shop, I worked in the design and walk-in sales section and he worked in the call center taking orders for people calling teleflora, sears flowers etc...
Old 05-25-2010, 10:19 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Stacey42 Send a message via Yahoo to Stacey42

We met at work. A pizza place, in 1989. I was in college, he'd dropped out due to lack of funds by the time I met him. I'd met my previous BF there too. The previous one graduated & left to go with the Peace Corps to Malawi for two years. DH and I hooked up a week after that guy left town & started seriously dating about 4 months later.

We moved in together in 1991 & got married in 1993
Old 05-25-2010, 10:20 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

we met at work too ... 18 years ago and still going strong

Old 05-25-2010, 11:03 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I met DH at church youth group. I was leading worship in our youth praise band (yes, I've done this my entire life) and he was visiting with a friend. He played drums and offered to play with us. He was hot as heck, so of course I said he could! Sexy drummer... can't beat that. Except I had a long-time high school boyfriend. And he was kind of a player, dated a million girls in high school. Anytime my long-term boyfriend and I were on a "break", I'd call him; anytime he was btwn girls, he'd call me. But the timing never worked out at that time, so we were just good friends. Timing was finally right just after I graduated. We fell in love that summer b4 I went off to school out of state. But I ended up moving back in state, though still out of town, the next year. We got married 3 years after we started dating.

My Blog -- Three 4 Me

Proudly creating for Zoe Pearn
Old 05-25-2010, 11:06 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

The Wheelchair Mommy Tweet*Tweet

William-2004, Lucas-2008 & Nathan-Summer 2011
Old 05-25-2010, 11:15 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We met in high school. We ran in the same circles and had mutual friends but hadn't ever hung out much. He asked me to dance at the beginning of school mixer when I was a junior and he was a senior and the rest is history!
Old 05-25-2010, 11:19 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I voted "other" cause I met mine on the phone

kit used for siggie "Kona Coast" by Julie Billingsley
Old 05-25-2010, 11:28 AM
Administrator

profile gallery send pm

When I moved into my first apartment after high school, he lived across from me
Old 05-25-2010, 11:37 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to kscwgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon Kay View Post
you know what ... I think we need to have this as a BOM portfolio challenge!! I've never scrapped this story.
it wasn't part of the BOM, but it was one of the challenges in February.. #29 was scrap your love story.

I met Jeff at the bar.
Old 05-25-2010, 11:48 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I met my hubby, Walter at a church dance in November of 1991, we were engaged 10 days later and we married on January 11, 1992 (yep, that is 2 months after we met). We have been married for over 18 years now.
Old 05-25-2010, 11:58 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Met my hubby through a friend. The mutual friend was a co-worker of his. (they were cops in my city) The mutual friend got hurt on the job and needed another officer to fill in for his off duty security job at the bank where I worked. Steve (DH) filled in for him. I couldn't stand him!!!! He was such a jerk. A few days later the mutual friend invited several couples to his house for a steak dinner and also invited Steve and I that were NOT a couple without each of us knowing! Sneaky, sneaky......that was the first evening to over 13 years together! I decided I liked him after all. We got engaged after 2 and a half months of dating and was engaged for a little over year! We will be married for 12 years this June.
Old 05-25-2010, 01:13 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Met online 14yrs ago. Been married just over 13yrs. When we started chatting and such in the internet was brand new!!
Old 05-25-2010, 01:19 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We met through a mutual acquantance. He was actually interested in dating her, but she turned him down (they are still friends), so I asked him out, lol (I did okay it with her though!). We started dating at the very end of August 2003, were engaged on December 17, 2003 and married on July 17, 2004. Met & married within 11 months, married now for almost 6 years and happier than ever!!

ETA: I just wanted to add that I seriously fell in love with him the day we met (even though he wasn't looking at me in that way). We became fast friends though, and he was so easy to talk to. It was like I'd known him all my life. My friends just sat back and smiled, and they all talked amongst themselves that there was NO DOUBT we'd get married . We pretty much knew with in a couple of weeks that we were right for each other and that we'd be getting married soon!

Huge fan of:

Last edited by scrapperjade; 05-25-2010 at 01:50 PM.
Old 05-25-2010, 01:26 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I always knew my DH. I have pics of him and me when we were 4 and 2 years old, playing together. My aunt babysat me when I was a kid and DH was his husband (my uncle)'s nephew. So we used to see each other 2-3 times a year. Then, we lost touch in 1992, when my uncle died. When his grandmother died, in 1997, we went to the funeral and I hooked up with him again. It got serious in November 1997 and we have been together ever since.
Old 05-25-2010, 01:40 PM
Babe Lead

profile gallery send pm

DH was a classmate when we used to study Master back in 2005-2006. The first semester, we were just friends, it wasn't until the second semester where we had to work in a group of 2 that we got to know each other closer. He liked me first, I just broke up with my ex, so I kept him waiting and chasing for a LONG time LOL!!!
Old 05-25-2010, 03:11 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We met in high school when we had a few business/accounting classes together, I was a sophomore and he was a senior. We were really good friends for the first half of the school and finally started dating in January 1994 and were together for the rest of the time I was in high school and in college. We got engaged in August 1999 and married in August 2000 so we've been together for 16 years and will celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary in August!!
Old 05-25-2010, 03:42 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to hollyxann

Well he's not my husband but my BF of 5 yrs and I met because we are next door neighbors. He's only lived in the house for 7 yrs and I lived in my parent's house since I was 6 months old. Now we live together, and still live right next door to my parents. I'm literally separated from my parents by a driveway.
Old 05-25-2010, 03:48 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We worked at a comedy club together. Good times LOL

Last edited by Keely~B; 05-25-2010 at 04:12 PM.
Old 05-25-2010, 03:57 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Tim was roommates with my cousin, Mark....there were 3 guys that lived together in a big house. My cousin Mark was in a band I drove up with his sister to Chicago to listen to the band play....beforehand we stopped at their house for a party and I met Tim...we played cards, drank a few beers and the rest is history!! We started dating when I got back from Australia and have been together for 7 years.
Old 05-25-2010, 04:53 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

at work

Old 05-25-2010, 05:27 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

these stories are so fun to read

i met my DH at a bar in Paris ... one of my friends saw his friend threw a window and thought he was cute, so we went in ... his friends called him and told him to come to the bar once they started talking to us because we were american (they were french) and my husband is bilingual and could help them out LOL! i think we were all out until about 5 am that night - and then the next two nights as well .. and so on... that was 11 years ago! wow! time flies!

creating for:
the lilypad / sahlin studio
Old 05-25-2010, 06:15 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Hm, I'm not really "allowed" to vote, not married. But met my bf on the internet through a friend. She is in Denmark, I am in Germany, he is in Nothern Ireland. We both used to chat with that friend seperately and one evening she decided to set us up (and I might wanna add that she kinda told him the plan, but not me LOL).

We chatted for some weeks and I flew over to Ireland in August last year. So all pretty new and long-distance and who-knows-what-will-happen. And while it's just great that so many of you got married on the spot and it worked...uhm...yeah. THAT would freak me out! Like in seriously freak me out. I'm waaay to used to overthink everything.
Old 05-25-2010, 07:04 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Kat Stokes Send a message via Yahoo to Kat Stokes

I voted through a friend. I knew of my DH back in Jr. High School from a teen club we were in and him hanging out with some mutual friends but I was never introduced to him until our Jr. year when I went over to a friend's house where he was working on his truck. He came out from under the truck all cute and greasy. I told my BFF after we left that night that I was going to marry him. The following weekend he asked me out and we have been together ever since. He literally moved in my parents house with me about a month after we started dating because he was having problems with his ex-step-dad. We lived together for five years before getting married and have been married for 14 years (as of May 17th). 19 years and 2 kids later and I love him more now than I ever have!!!

Proudly creating for:
Libby Pritchett

Old 05-25-2010, 07:06 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger_79 View Post
Hm, I'm not really "allowed" to vote, not married. But met my bf on the internet through a friend. She is in Denmark, I am in Germany, he is in Nothern Ireland. We both used to chat with that friend seperately and one evening she decided to set us up (and I might wanna add that she kinda told him the plan, but not me LOL).

We chatted for some weeks and I flew over to Ireland in August last year. So all pretty new and long-distance and who-knows-what-will-happen. And while it's just great that so many of you got married on the spot and it worked...uhm...yeah. THAT would freak me out! Like in seriously freak me out. I'm waaay to used to overthink everything.
Oh trust me, it freaked me out!! I knew he was THE ONE, but it's still scary to commit for life to someone you barely know.
Old 05-25-2010, 07:13 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Steve and I met at college. We were in orchestra together.
Old 05-25-2010, 07:34 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Online. We met online just after midnight on 01/01/01. We met in person 14 days later and started dating 5 days after that. We were married 12/31/08.
Old 05-25-2010, 07:44 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger_79 View Post

Haha! We only got married in 2008, after being 10 years together and having 3 kids. However, marriage was just not that important to us (in Quebec, common-law is very popular). For me, having a child with someone is a much bigger commitment than marriage.
Old 05-25-2010, 08:18 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by pewtertm View Post
Sharon, I've told you more than once that you needed to do a TG&Y layout
I know ... but not one of these designers has come out with a TG&Y kit ... and you KNOW I AM a THEME scrapper! lol

Since I have all Steve's Disney doodles he drew for me ... I could use a Disney themed kit ... but ...

Actually I think I need a kick in the behind (aka a portfolio challenge) to get me motivated!
Old 05-25-2010, 08:24 PM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

DH was my college Algebra tutor. I got an A+ in the class because I went to see the tutor a lot! We didn't start dating until late in the semester.
Old 05-25-2010, 08:37 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

another girl who met her dh online - it's been 11 years now and can't think of anyone else I would rather be with.
Old 05-25-2010, 09:29 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

DH and I met my freshman year in college, so fall '93. He was a junior and a friend of a friend of my lab partner. At the time I was still dating my HS boyfriend, and for the first 6 months that he knew me (barely knew me) he kept mixing up me and another lab partner, LOL. It was spring '94 when we started noticing each other more and spent most of a night talking and dancing at a party, but a few days later we went home for the summer with nothing having happened between us. We got together as soon as we were back in the fall and have been together ever since. We'll have been married 12 years in June.
Old 05-26-2010, 12:14 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie Billingsley View Post
I met my husband at church. We got married there too and still go there now. I actually met him in the singles bible study which is now completely gone because we all got married. LOL
Kinda like Julie: I met him in the singles bible study camp of our area.
Old 05-26-2010, 06:19 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm one of the rare ones that met her husband at a club. It was supposed to be a one night stand, but we just kept talking throughout the night got engaged. Several months later we were engaged and a year after that we were married. We'll be celebrating 9 years of marriage in less than 2 months.

I met my prior boyfriends through different means: one through school and another through a dating service.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Fan of ALL the designers at:
Old 05-26-2010, 06:47 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We met at work: I started on the 5th July, we went on out first date on a Friday night a month later, and started living together from the following Sunday night. I'm a fast mover

We've been married for 15 years now.
Old 05-26-2010, 07:15 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapmonkey View Post
I'm one of the rare ones that met her husband at a club. It was supposed to be a one night stand, but we just kept talking throughout the night got engaged. Several months later we were engaged and a year after that we were married. We'll be celebrating 9 years of marriage in less than 2 months.
Same with my hubbie - He was only suppose to be a fling before I married someone else - I was not all that truthful with him - I gave him a fake number and told him I only had one kid - (I had 2) He was soooo much younger than me. Well one thing led to another - and we married 4 months later -

My BLOG & Adventures In Wonderland

Old 05-26-2010, 08:19 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

We worked together at a concert place, I did security and he did the lights. Apparently he used to watch me while he was supposed to be working, but his friends told him I was a college girl and would never go out with him. So we never really talked or anything. I then quit. About a year and a half later, we met online. He instantly realized who I was. He pursued me big time, but I only wanted to be friends. Later I gave in. We moved in together 6 months later, got engaged a month after that, 15 months after that we got married. We got seperated last fall after 7 months, but we are actually still friends and spend nearly every day together. I know, weird, but it works. lol

ETA, opps, 7 years of marriage! not months..lol

Last edited by lovely1m; 05-27-2010 at 11:29 AM.
Old 05-27-2010, 12:27 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

We met at an airshow. I was volunteering and he had come in with some of the planes.