Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 07-20-2018, 03:04 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default Backup everything, people.

My husband rolls his eyes at the fact that I pay for an online backup every month. That money I spend? Every penny is worth it as I download my backup today because my EHD failed. Last time this happened I made myself sick I was crying so hard, even though I had a duplicate backup of almost everything- but I still lost stuff. This time? I know everything was 100% backed up last night before I shut my computer down, so even though my EHD won't work today, I can get everything back. ONLINE BACKUPS ARE KEY.
Old 07-20-2018, 03:15 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

how much do you pay? what company?
Old 07-20-2018, 03:51 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

AMEN SISTER! This happened to me TWICE in the past six months. The first time, I lost half a year's worth of pages and photos. I hear you on the crying till you're sick thing. The second time, I had Backblaze, so I only had to spend time downloading all my stuff. It took a while, but it was SO WORTH IT.

Old 07-20-2018, 04:56 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Yes! I had a super old EHD, like 10 years. I had gotten a new much smaller, yet holds much bigger one for the last Christmas, but was being lazy about transferring everything over. Lucky for me, when the old one quit one day, I had my online backup. Just downloaded it all to my new EHD. Took a week or so, but thank goodness.
Old 07-20-2018, 05:09 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by luan37 View Post
how much do you pay? what company?
I use Crashplan for Small Business and I think the rate is $10 a month- but they keep my EHD's backed up, don't delete anything ever, etc. and every penny is worth it for the peace of mind.
Old 07-20-2018, 05:10 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovely1m View Post
Yes! I had a super old EHD, like 10 years. I had gotten a new much smaller, yet holds much bigger one for the last Christmas, but was being lazy about transferring everything over. Lucky for me, when the old one quit one day, I had my online backup. Just downloaded it all to my new EHD. Took a week or so, but thank goodness.
We actually built a new "EHD" into my new computer but I just haven't copied everything over yet because I was using this opportunity to organize and purge before i moved everything. Sigh. It's all getting moved now without finishing organization but I'll have it all- and as soon as we can budget I'll be getting a secondary EHD and having both backed up.
Old 07-20-2018, 05:27 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverendingJen View Post
I use Crashplan for Small Business and I think the rate is $10 a month- but they keep my EHD's backed up, don't delete anything ever, etc. and every penny is worth it for the peace of mind.
This is what I use too! So happy you were backed up!!
Old 07-20-2018, 05:58 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Oh no it looks like they won't accept new accounts if you don't have a small business anymore! I don't know if it's worth risking creating an account now before they kick me out...

Any other website I could check out?
Old 07-20-2018, 05:59 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Oh no it looks like they won't accept new accounts if you don't have a small business anymore! I don't know if it's worth risking creating an account now before they kick me out...

There are plenty of other companies out there. Just do your research. It’s also been discussed in the forums before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-20-2018, 06:53 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My computer crashed a couple years ago and Backblaze helped me recover everything.
Old 07-20-2018, 06:55 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwany1999 View Post
I use backblaze and pay $5 a month and it backs up my desktop and EHD. I've lost my EDH and than downloaded everything from backblaze.
thanks girls
Old 07-20-2018, 09:04 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

So glad this story had a happy ending! Online backup is so worth it.
Quote:

I can't speak for now, but I know that when the change happened last year they made it sound like it was only for small businesses. But buried in a FAQ it said you don't actually have to be one. Did you see something that specifically said only small businesses are allowed? If not, I'd ask them just to be safe.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Old 07-20-2018, 10:46 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Amazon has free, unlimited photo storage for Prime Members and Google Photo has unlimited photo storage. Amazon also offers a 1 TB storage plan for $59.99 a year, if you're a prime member, the photos don't count toward your space. https://www.amazon.com/b/?_encoding=...=cd_home_navlm
Old 07-20-2018, 11:27 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I love all of Marcus' first year (thank goodness I had printed most of the pics out already, so i didn't lose it lost it really,) when he was a year old. I've backed up online since then! I can't lose anything again! I was distraught last time. THe vids.... all his first year vids were gone.

Old 07-21-2018, 12:47 AM
Sweets

profile gallery send pm

I've had a few EHD fail, so now I back up online with Dropbox & Amazon Prime photos.
Old 07-22-2018, 11:30 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I need faster internet so I can actually do the online backup thing! Ugh. My pictures are on Smugmug mostly, but I'd be in big trouble if I had a fire or something.
Old 07-22-2018, 11:40 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlathrall View Post
I need faster internet so I can actually do the online backup thing! Ugh. My pictures are on Smugmug mostly, but I'd be in big trouble if I had a fire or something.
A fire or a natural disaster causing loss of my photos and memories is one of my biggest fears (obviously losing family would be worse), but having that backup really helps. Even if it takes six months to back everything up, it would be worth it.
Old 07-22-2018, 12:08 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I'm SO glad you had everything backed up, Jennifer!! That is seriously one of the scariest things!
I have been using Backblaze for years. My youngest son gives me a hard time saying it's not necessary, but that $5 is such a peace giver!
Old 07-22-2018, 01:37 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
I'm glad to hear you had a good experience with Crashplan for Small Business because I didn't! I lost my EHD (EVERYTHING) and Crashplan couldn't get it back for me. They aren't sure why and I'm not sure why. They said in part because I had selected Photoshop, Minecraft, etc to be backed up, not just my files. And there was some catastrophic failure with my stuff when they switched me from personal to small business. So I had been paying them monthly essentially for nothing. I'm still angry and in denial if you can't tell.

And since December I really haven't backed stuff up. Big mistake I know! But I lost faith in the online back up and don't have the mental energy to start over.
Old 07-22-2018, 01:39 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by abm234 View Post
I'm glad to hear you had a good experience with Crashplan for Small Business because I didn't! I lost my EHD (EVERYTHING) and Crashplan couldn't get it back for me. They aren't sure why and I'm not sure why. They said in part because I had selected Photoshop, Minecraft, etc to be backed up, not just my files. And there was some catastrophic failure with my stuff when they switched me from personal to small business. So I had been paying them monthly essentially for nothing. I'm still angry and in denial if you can't tell.

And since December I really haven't backed stuff up. Big mistake I know! But I lost faith in the online back up and don't have the mental energy to start over.

That’s super weird- every time I’ve talked to them I’ve had great luck, but I always haven’t backed up actual programs, just user files. No online backup is designed for that.

Old 07-22-2018, 01:59 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

This is on my long list of things I have to do to....computer, please hold out on me. I need more hours in the day!!

I'm sorry your hard drive broke, but so am SO thankful you had it all backed up!! That's such a HUGE blessing!!
Old 07-22-2018, 02:14 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverland Scraps View Post
This is on my long list of things I have to do to....computer, please hold out on me. I need more hours in the day!!

I'm sorry your hard drive broke, but so am SO thankful you had it all backed up!! That's such a HUGE blessing!!

Definitely. I’m already halfway done downloading photos and once that’s complete will move on to everything else. Ten days without my stuff to slowly download is worth all the annoyance of initially getting my it backed up.

Old 07-23-2018, 12:57 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Yes online back up is worth every $$. Last year my laptop was stolen and while Backblaze hadn’t finished its initial back up it had saved about 1/3rd of it which I was able to download.

Scrappy Instagram

Creative Team Member for The Lilypad & Studio Liv

Old 07-23-2018, 04:06 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlekiwi View Post
Yes online back up is worth every $$. Last year my laptop was stolen and while Backblaze hadn’t finished its initial back up it had saved about 1/3rd of it which I was able to download.
I can't believe someone stole your laptop!! My daughter leaves her laptop all over her classes at her college (as do a bunch of other people) and no one takes them. Dishonest. I'm so sorry that happened to you
Old 07-23-2018, 05:36 PM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

I use Carbonite for my online back up. It also came in handy when I got my new computer. Transferring files was super easy.
Old 07-24-2018, 12:08 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverland Scraps View Post
I can't believe someone stole your laptop!! My daughter leaves her laptop all over her classes at her college (as do a bunch of other people) and no one takes them. Dishonest. I'm so sorry that happened to you
It was stolen at home while I was sleeping. I hardly took my laptop to uni except for one class as it was just too awkward.

Scrappy Instagram

Creative Team Member for The Lilypad & Studio Liv

Old 07-24-2018, 11:18 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

So we I had two things happen in quick succession that made me also turn to online backup:

1) we had a plumbing related flood at our house in the middle of the night and my NAS was ALMOST ruined! I felt safe because we had a NAS (two mirrored drives). we were about 1 cm away from having our NAS ruined, and that would have been 7 years worth of photos LOST.

So hubby and I both started moving all the photos from our NAS to google photos so they would be online somewhere (most of them were older photos from a cell phone or our very first digital camera years ago).

And THEN 2) the HD on my main computer died. Totally unexpected, only a few years old. And I hadn't yet backed up the most recent 1 yr of photos to my backup NAS because I was still editing them and working with them.

So now we use backblaze to automatically back up all drives! super easy and cheap.

I still upload edited photos to google photos for many reasons:
1) it's a great way to share photos with family (my hubby and kids and I all add photos to shared folders!)
2) many services now can connect direct to google photos (I was making a photo video project for my son using adobe spark and it let me connect to my google account!)

anyhow, DEFINITELY back up!!

beckie_scraps on IG!
Old 07-28-2018, 11:35 AM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

Another vote for Backblaze.Over the years I’ve had more hard drive and computer failures than I care to mention, sooo many tears. I hemmed and hawed over the decision, but once I pulled the trigger I’ve never looked back. It’s saved me more than a few times. I pay something like $50 a year for total piece of mind.
Old 07-31-2018, 10:02 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

It took almost exactly 10 days, but my download is complete and my data is safe!
Old 08-01-2018, 12:23 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
It took almost exactly 10 days, but my download is complete and my data is safe!
It must feel good to have the peace of mind with it being done!!