Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > Sweet Reads-Book Club

View Poll Results: Which book should be our Sweet Read for Apr-Jun 2015?
Station Eleven by Hilary St. John Mandel 7 38.89%
Our Endless Numbered Days by Claire Fuller 3 16.67%
All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr 1 5.56%
Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard 4 22.22%
More Than This by Patrick Ness 0 0%
The Miniaturist by Jessie Burton 2 11.11%
Us by David Nicholls 1 5.56%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-25-2015, 01:04 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Default Vote: Sweet Read for Apr-Jun 2015

Vote for your choice for our second Sweet Read of 2015. This poll is open through Monday (3/30).

Station Eleven by Hilary St. John Mandel - Station Eleven tells the spellbinding story of a Hollywood star, his would-be savior, and a nomadic group of actors roaming the scattered outposts of the Great Lakes region, risking everything for art and humanity.

One snowy night Arthur Leander, a famous actor, has a heart attack onstage during a production of King Lear. Jeevan Chaudhary, a paparazzo-turned-EMT, is in the audience and leaps to his aid. A child actress named Kirsten Raymonde watches in horror as Jeevan performs CPR, pumping Arthur's chest as the curtain drops, but Arthur is dead. That same night, as Jeevan walks home from the theater, a terrible flu begins to spread. Hospitals are flooded and Jeevan and his brother barricade themselves inside an apartment, watching out the window as cars clog the highways, gunshots ring out, and life disintegrates around them.

Fifteen years later, Kirsten is an actress with the Traveling Symphony. Together, this small troupe moves between the settlements of an altered world, performing Shakespeare and music for scattered communities of survivors. Written on their caravan, and tattooed on Kirsten's arm is a line from Star Trek: "Because survival is insufficient." But when they arrive in St. Deborah by the Water, they encounter a violent prophet who digs graves for anyone who dares to leave.

Spanning decades, moving back and forth in time, and vividly depicting life before and after the pandemic, this suspenseful, elegiac novel is rife with beauty. As Arthur falls in and out of love, as Jeevan watches the newscasters say their final good-byes, and as Kirsten finds herself caught in the crosshairs of the prophet, we see the strange twists of fate that connect them all. A novel of art, memory, and ambition, Station Eleven tells a story about the relationships that sustain us, the ephemeral nature of fame, and the beauty of the world as we know it.

Our Endless Numbered Days by Claire Fuller - Peggy Hillcoat is eight years old when her survivalist father, James, takes her from their home in London to a remote hut in the woods and tells her that the rest of the world has been destroyed. Deep in the wilderness, Peggy and James make a life for themselves. They repair the hut, bathe in water from the river, hunt and gather food in the summers and almost starve in the harsh winters. They mark their days only by the sun and the seasons.

When Peggy finds a pair of boots in the forest and begins a search for their owner, she unwittingly unravels the series of events that brought her to the woods and, in doing so, discovers the strength she needs to go back to the home and mother she thought she’d lost.

After Peggy's return to civilization, her mother begins to learn the truth of her escape, of what happened to James on the last night out in the woods, and of the secret that Peggy has carried with her ever since.

All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr - Marie-Laure lives with her father in Paris near the Museum of Natural History, where he works as the master of its thousands of locks. When she is six, Marie-Laure goes blind and her father builds a perfect miniature of their neighborhood so she can memorize it by touch and navigate her way home. When Marie-Laure is twelve, the Nazis occupy Paris, and father and daughter flee to the walled citadel of Saint-Malo, where Marie-Laure’s reclusive great-uncle lives in a tall house by the sea. With them they carry what might be the museum’s most valuable and dangerous jewel.

In a mining town in Germany, the orphan Werner grows up with his younger sister, enchanted by a crude radio they find. Werner becomes an expert at building and fixing these crucial new instruments, a talent that wins him a place at a brutal academy for Hitler Youth, then a special assignment to track the resistance. More and more aware of the human cost of his intelligence, Werner travels through the heart of the war and, finally, into Saint-Malo, where his story and Marie-Laure’s converge.

Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard -The poverty stricken Reds are commoners, living under the rule of the Silvers, elite warriors with god-like powers.

To Mare Barrow, a 17-year-old Red girl from The Stilts, it looks like nothing will ever change.

Mare finds herself working in the Silver Palace, at the centre of those she hates the most. She quickly discovers that, despite her red blood, she possesses a deadly power of her own. One that threatens to destroy Silver control.

But power is a dangerous game. And in this world divided by blood, who will win?

More Than This by Patrick Ness - A boy drowns, desperate and alone in his final moments. He dies.

Then he wakes, naked and bruised and thirsty, but alive.

How can this be? And what is this strange deserted place?

As he struggles to understand what is happening, the boy dares to hope. Might this not be the end? Might there be more to this life, or perhaps this afterlife?

The Miniaturist by Jessie Burton - Set in seventeenth century Amsterdam-a city ruled by glittering wealth and oppressive religion-a masterful debut steeped in atmosphere and shimmering with mystery, in the tradition of Emma Donoghue, Sarah Waters, and Sarah Dunant.

"There is nothing hidden that will not be revealed…"

On a brisk autumn day in 1686, eighteen-year-old Nella Oortman arrives in Amsterdam to begin a new life as the wife of illustrious merchant trader Johannes Brandt. But her new home, while splendorous, is not welcoming. Johannes is kind yet distant, always locked in his study or at his warehouse office-leaving Nella alone with his sister, the sharp-tongued and forbidding Marin.

But Nella's world changes when Johannes presents her with an extraordinary wedding gift: a cabinet-sized replica of their home. To furnish her gift, Nella engages the services of a miniaturist-an elusive and enigmatic artist whose tiny creations mirror their real-life counterparts in eerie and unexpected ways . . .

Johannes' gift helps Nella to pierce the closed world of the Brandt household. But as she uncovers its unusual secrets, she begins to understand-and fear-the escalating dangers that await them all. In this repressively pious society where gold is worshipped second only to God, to be different is a threat to the moral fabric of society, and not even a man as rich as Johannes is safe. Only one person seems to see the fate that awaits them. Is the miniaturist the key to their salvation . . . or the architect of their destruction?

Us by David Nicholls - 'I was looking forward to us growing old together. Me and you, growing old and dying together.'

'Douglas, who in their right mind would look forward to that?'

Douglas Petersen understands his wife's need to 'rediscover herself' now that their son is leaving home.

He just thought they'd be doing their rediscovering together.

So when Connie announces that she will be leaving, too, he resolves to make their last family holiday into the trip of a lifetime: one that will draw the three of them closer, and win the respect of his son. One that will make Connie fall in love with him all over again.

The hotels are booked, the tickets bought, the itinerary planned and printed.

What could possibly go wrong?

Last edited by Misty Cato; 03-25-2015 at 02:19 AM.
Old 03-27-2015, 01:34 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

SO many good choices this month! I can't decide what to vote for!
Old 03-27-2015, 03:05 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libby Pritchett View Post
SO many good choices this month! I can't decide what to vote for!
No kidding. I already read one as soon as it was nominated and I'm working on another. I figure I'll read at least half of these whether they are chosen or not.
Old 03-29-2015, 02:36 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Me too! So many of these look fantastic! I'm for sure reading more than just the voted read
Old 03-30-2015, 12:26 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty Cato View Post
No kidding. I already read one as soon as it was nominated and I'm working on another. I figure I'll read at least half of these whether they are chosen or not.
Misty - which one did you read???
Old 03-30-2015, 05:13 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I read More Than This by Patrick Ness and right now I'm listening to The Miniaturist on audio.
Old 03-30-2015, 07:08 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I'm almost finished with Station Eleven already lol..

Old 03-30-2015, 07:12 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkiARNGwife View Post
I'm almost finished with Station Eleven already lol..
I devoured that book! So good!
Old 03-30-2015, 07:24 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Lol, good Nikki and Heddy. It looks like that one might be our winner, so you will be able to kick off the discussion.
Old 03-30-2015, 07:25 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I also have Red Queen coming up soon on my library queue.
Old 03-31-2015, 02:33 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I'm going to get Station Eleven and Red Queen! woohoo!
Old 03-31-2015, 02:36 PM
Owner & Candy Keeper

profile gallery send pm

Station eleven looks super good!