Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2010, 09:06 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default Some questions for the Babes (callelated)

Hi.

With the Sweet Call and all my head is brimming with thoughts and questions since the morning.

I hope it won't be considered as too dumb if I ask the following of our Babes:

1. How did you become a Babe? Did you apply in an open call or were you chosen?

2. How long have you been scrapping before you became a Babe?

3. How much time do your Babe duties take on average?

4. How many of you have a real full-time job and if you do, how do you manage to balance these duties with SSD responsibilities (and with taking care of your family)?

5. What happens if there's an unforeseen situation that prevents you from fulfilling your duties (health reasons, family reasons etc.)?

See, I don't ask these out of naivety. I just feel so tempted to apply, but I realise that haven't been scrapping for a long time and I have a demanding full-time job (which doesn't prevent me from scrapping and spamming the forum, as you might have noticed :-).

I know applying doesn't mean getting the position, and I don't suffer from the delusion of being the one person everybody has been waiting for, but should I ever become a Babe, I would like to do it properly, and I still somehow have no real idea of what is really involved in terms of time. Maybe if I'm asking myself these questions I shouldn't even apply, but I'd like to think it over really well before deciding.

Thank you for your attention.

Old 07-24-2010, 09:22 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I applied once for an open call and was turned down-I then skipped a few calls and applied again in August of 08...I still remember getting my letter of acceptance-I ran in and danced on the bed waking my husband up...haha!

About 18 months

I would say I scrap at least 2 pages a week...taking anywhere from 2-4 hours each.

4. How many of you have a real full-time job and if you do, how do you manage to balance these duties with SSD responsibilities (and with taking care of your family)?
Yes I have a full time job-and a part time job...I get up really early in the morning before anyone else and scrap most of my pages then.

5. What happens if there's an unforeseen situation that prevents you from fulfilling your duties (health reasons, family reasons etc.)?
I think in the past two years I have only had one month like that-I didn't get one of my LO's done, We are like a family behind the scenes here-I know that if I need my fellow Babes to step up and do anything they will. I also know that I can tell them anything and have their love and support. I think of each of them as an extended part of my family.

Good luck to all the girls who apply!
Old 07-24-2010, 09:41 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Thanks for sharing this! It makes me hopeful. :-)

And I can imagine the dance on the bed after getting your acceptance letter soooo well. :-)

Old 07-24-2010, 09:42 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

1. How did you become a Babe? Did you apply in an open call or were you chosen? I applied three times I think. It was either the 3rd or 4th try that was the charm. I applied in an open call.

2. How long have you been scrapping before you became a Babe? I've been scrapping digitally since 2003-2004 and I have been a babe 2 years so I guess 4 years or so. It really did take awhile for me to hone my style and get better I guess.

3. How much time do your Babe duties take on average? A couple hours a week. The requirements are not tough at all if you pace yourself and are organized (HA! I know eveyr babe here just laughed at me but I swear I am working on that part! ROFL)

4. How many of you have a real full-time job and if you do, how do you manage to balance these duties with SSD responsibilities (and with taking care of your family)? I work outside the home M-F 8-5 and then have a part time job at home that's bout 2 hours a night and I still manage to get my scrapping time in most of the time. Summer is worse of course with the kids being home and being gone a lot on the weekends. My husband helps a lot with the kids.

5. What happens if there's an unforeseen situation that prevents you from fulfilling your duties (health reasons, family reasons etc.)? Everyone here is a family and they understand that we are all human and things will come up or we just flat out forget sometimes. we are HUMAN. There is always someone willing to jump in and help pick up the slack. It's not like you'll get fired if you get sick or have an emergency.They do want you to be dedicated to what you do here and do your best though.

kit used for siggie "Kona Coast" by Julie Billingsley
Old 07-24-2010, 09:50 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Thanks for your replies as well. Yup, doing the best and being dedicated is exactly what I would want myself to be in the hypothetical case I'd get the post - that's why I'm asking all of this. To get a more precise idea of what's involved and make a responsible decision (even applying is a decision, no matter what the result will be).

Old 07-24-2010, 10:14 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I applied for a call too, and was lucky enough to get picked - I'm pretty sure I cried

I'd been making stuff for 18 months-ish (I lose track of time ...getting old)

I'm rather compulsive - and coming up with ideas and making them really is my fave thing to do, though the housework suffers! I really don't know how long I spend on it.... Sometimes I have to stop myself from being distracted by the goodies in another kit when I'm part way through making something - its so easy to have half a dozen projects on the go and then get overwhelmed. You need to stick to your plans, and jot down notes for later!

I have a part time job, and I depend on being organised to get everything done on time. I have a things-to-do board with dates and little notes of what I want to do scribbled on. All I have to do now is remember to look at the board and not get distracted by nice, shiny, pretty things....

This is a wonderful team - Robin, the designers and the other Babes are all totally approachable and will listen, offer advice, help, will swap assignments and work with you. They totally understand we all have bad days, holidays and unforseen emergencies. As has been said - they want you to love being here, love being one of the team and always giving your best.

If you thinking about applying - do it!!! Always be brave and proud to put yourself out there and show off your work.
Old 07-24-2010, 10:18 AM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

Excellent questions, and the answers provided are very helpful.

Old 07-24-2010, 10:18 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to newfiemountiewife Send a message via Yahoo to newfiemountiewife

1. How did you become a Babe? Did you apply in an open call or were you chosen? I applied 4 or 5 times. I was not taken at that time, but later, when a couple of spots became open, Robin emailed and asked if I wanted to join the team. Of course I said yes!

2. How long have you been scrapping before you became a Babe? It was around 2 years.

3. How much time do your Babe duties take on average? I would say it's a couple of hours a week at minimum, between forums, blog posts, blog layouts, regular layouts, and promotion in the community, it's probably more like 4.

4. How many of you have a real full-time job and if you do, how do you manage to balance these duties with SSD responsibilities (and with taking care of your family)? I don't have a full time job right now, but I've worked while I was a Babe. I scrap after the kids go to bed in the night time. If something is time sensitive or has a short turn around, I work on it when needed if I have time.

5. What happens if there's an unforeseen situation that prevents you from fulfilling your duties (health reasons, family reasons etc.)? You can always let them know that there is something going on. Robin and the team are moms too, and they understand that things happen sometimes. She is awesome to work for. We all help each other if needed too, everything gets covered! I have not had a month where I couldn't complete my assignments, though, at least not that I can remember. My Babe spot is my priority.

Bottom line is: apply. You will always wonder if you don't, and even if you don't make it, you will always know you tried. It's a very prestigious gig, and not to be taken lightly! After getting the Babe spot, I did resign from most of my other CTs, so I could devote the time necessary. For me, it was my dream gig, and I am very content now.

Good luck!
Old 07-24-2010, 10:23 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I think I applied 3 times total before I became a Babe. It had always been my "dream gig" like I'm sure it is for most people lol. I've been a Babe now for just over a year.

A little over 4 years.

Hmmm...our requirements probably take me 2-3 hrs a week..but I usually scrap 3-4 pages a week so I spend more time on it than that..but that's above our regular requirements.

No full time job...just 2 little ones..I usually scrap early in the mornings before they're awake and during nap time...or any time I can grab 5 minutes during the day.

Like everyone else has said...we help each other out...life happens so we try to pick up the slack for each other. I've never had anything really come up but I know if I did some of my fellow babes would help out for sure.

I love being a Babe...best gig in Digi-land

Old 07-24-2010, 10:43 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Great questions and responses! Love getting this info from the Sugar Babes.
Old 07-24-2010, 11:03 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to BrattyMeg

1. How did you become a Babe? Did you apply in an open call or were you chosen? I applied during a call and actually didn't make it (what were they thinking??) then a couple days later there was some babe to designer shifting (our lovely Kristin..was a babe here first did ya know??) and Robin emailed myself (and our sweet Kellie) to join babedom! I only applied once..and got the SWEETEST rejection letter and acceptance letter in almost the same week! This was almost 3 years ago

2. How long have you been scrapping before you became a Babe? About 8 months

3. How much time do your Babe duties take on average? Well I'm a SLOWWWW scrapper so mine take all month haha but I do start a LO work on it awhile then leave it for a few days before opening it back up to finish..if I actually sit and scrap then I could do a page/day probably.

4. How many of you have a real full-time job and if you do, how do you manage to balance these duties with SSD responsibilities (and with taking care of your family)? I DID have a full time job outside the home when I first became a babe (and had 1 less kid lol) I am pretty organized so that helps with my time management. I think it's just something you have to "figure out" once you get into a groove with how it works around here

5. What happens if there's an unforeseen situation that prevents you from fulfilling your duties (health reasons, family reasons etc.)? As long as you communicate there is ALWAYS somebody to cover an assignment, pick up the slack, etc..Robin is AMAZING as long as you are open with her about the circumstances.

*a few more words*
As everybody has stated already we really are a tight group. Seriously I love these girls like I love my own family. They are definitely an extended part of my family. It's wonderful to have friends there for each other and to listen to each other no matter how trivial we think our problem is. I do hope whoever comes on board is willing to accept US as friends as well. Don't be scared or intimidated to apply! I KNOW here and there things are said about SSD being cliquish and "elite" but that's garbage..(i know you've read it..don't act shocked) there's no better team to CT for

~~Click Here~~
to visit my shoppe
Old 07-24-2010, 11:21 AM
Sugar Cookie

profile gallery send pm

good questions. thanks for asking them adrianka. I was wondering about a few of them myself. Now I'm wondering should I or shouldn't I
Old 07-24-2010, 11:24 AM
Brodo gettin her Swerb on

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to ColleenSwerb

I applied and applied and applied, and got multiple rejection letters. And then one day out of the blue, Robin sent me a message asking if I was still interested. OF COURSE I WAS! And that was that.

I can't remember when I started scrapping vs when I started doing hybrid. But I would wager it was about a year of really doing hybrid stuff before I was accepted.

I'm just as slow at hybrid as I was at digi-scrapping, so it takes me all month to get my stuff done. Right now I'm running about a month behind in my head. I've got 3 or projects sitting waiting to be finished while I'm working on more stuff in PS. I think you really have to go at it for a while and hit your own groove with the responsibilities.

I work full time, but I don't have kids. I have struggled with finding a balance, but I've learned that I need to take a night or two away from the computer to be with my hubby and relax and do selfish things.

This ones already been answered so well by everyone else. We're all human, we all know that sometimes unforseen things come up. We know that if we're there to help someone out now, in the future when we need help, it'll be there for us. Robin is super understanding to the fact that there are so many other areas of our lives that we might need to focus on, but at the same time, this is a BUSINESS for her and we need to treat it like one as well.

This site and this team are truly an incredible thing to be a part of. I still have to pinch myself sometimes to be reminded that it's not a dream!

ETA: If you're thinking about applying, DO IT! Live life with no regrets! You can't make the team if you don't apply, right?
Old 07-24-2010, 11:31 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Skype™ to DeepGirl

Thank you, Adrianka, for starting this topic! And thank you, all the Sugar Babes girlies for joining it and responding... a lot of things are more clear now!

Old 07-24-2010, 11:31 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

This has definitely been an interesting read! Thanks for sharing girls!
Old 07-24-2010, 11:32 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to BrattyMeg

Oh I also meant to add..that it's VERY important to pay attention to how you conduct yourself in the forums and outside of SSD...I know some amazing scrappers that have probably not made babe b/c of how they act around the community. (Granted I only know some of these people have applied but have no confirmed reason of why they were rejected..just a theory) It's a drama free zone and I think anything you say or do around the digi community as a babe is a direct reflection on you and your character AND on SSD b/c you are involved there. I know there are debates all over the place but it's best to keep your opinion out of them. No reason to ever have to defend SSD just take the higher road. If there is EVER a reason SSD needs "stood up for" Robin will handle it (and has in the past)

~~Click Here~~
to visit my shoppe
Old 07-24-2010, 11:48 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I think Nikki's answers could all be mine as well. We've been scrapping about the same length of time, probably applied to the same number of calls, and were accepted at the same time! So, that answers #s 1 and 2...

I honestly don't feel like my baby duties take any extra time that I wasn't already scrapping. I mostly used SSD products anyway and most months (except this current summer) I scrap a lot of pages. So I just used my assigned products, etc. to create the pages I was already creating. It takes a little extra time for a blog post, etc., but not much.

I'm a full-time Mommy and part-time worship leader. So I don't have to deal w/ balancing this w/ a job. But for me, this is my "me" time. I love scrapping and it's some time just to myself to do something I love.

Robin and all the designers are always very understanding of extenuating circumstances. But, as other Babes have said, of Babes really pick up the slack when needed. It's really a great team!!

My Blog -- Three 4 Me

Proudly creating for Zoe Pearn
Old 07-24-2010, 11:56 AM
Brodo gettin her Swerb on

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to ColleenSwerb

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlirtatiousBrat View Post
Oh I also meant to add..that it's VERY important to pay attention to how you conduct yourself in the forums and outside of SSD...I know some amazing scrappers that have probably not made babe b/c of how they act around the community. (Granted I only know some of these people have applied but have no confirmed reason of why they were rejected..just a theory) It's a drama free zone and I think anything you say or do around the digi community as a babe is a direct reflection on you and your character AND on SSD b/c you are involved there. I know there are debates all over the place but it's best to keep your opinion out of them. No reason to ever have to defend SSD just take the higher road. If there is EVER a reason SSD needs "stood up for" Robin will handle it (and has in the past)
SO SO TRUE! Excellent point Meg.
Old 07-24-2010, 12:05 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I applied a couple times. Turned down both times and then a spot opened up and Robin emailed me asking if I wanted the spot. (:

A while. I have no clue. I've been a Babe for 2+ years though.

I write the Feature Friday spot every other week & that can take and hour to write, link and post. That is the most time consuming. I scrap about 1-2 pages a week for my Babe spot - it may be an assignment or helping out with a blog post with a supporting layout.

Email Robin & explain. As long as there is an explanation - it's fine. If you flake month to month on your assignments - well, then there is an issue.

Really - this is the best gig in town. I love it. I keep in constant contact with Robin on things here and there. The CT is run very well - you know what your assigments are and what is expected of you. You help out where you can and we all just really help one another out when it comes to being a Babe. We all understand and we all have lives outside of being a Babe and it just rocks how I feel loved by my SSD Family.
Old 07-24-2010, 12:26 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I applied to a hybrid Babe call after lurking around the place for months, I was off work sick for months as I'd hurt my back and I remember I was in bed in the middle of the night with my laptop (as you do when you are sick and you can't sleep ) when I got my email and I literally jumped out of bed - totally forgot about not being able to move my back - so was whooping around the bedroom whilst the tears of pain streamed down my face but it was just so exciting!!

I had been using digital kits in my paper crafts for about 18 months before I applied to the Sweet Shoppe

A lot of hours each month. I think there has only been 1 month since I started where I only did my required 3 projects and a blog post as usually I do lot more - not because I have to - I want to As well as actually making the project there is the photographing which sometimes has to wait a couple of days to get the right lighting and weather conditions and then editing the photographs ready for the gallery. I prefer to take my photographs outside so often have to wait for sunshine and not as much wind Then there is the being a member of the community side of being a Babe. It is important for the Babes to be seen around the community and for most of us this is our digi home and where we spend most of our forum time. Answering questions, joining in with the fun stuff and welcoming new members is all as important as making projects

I work full time as a teacher and then do my school work at home as well as a part time job at home and freelance design work for magazines. I run a tight ship and I'm strict with my time. I have a list of things to do which includes my absolute 'musts' and then have another list underneath with more ideas for projects and things that I would 'like' to do. As well as my CT stuff I'm a member of a couple of challenge and inspiration blogs that I do to promote the designers that I CT for outside of the digi forums - being a Hybrid Babe extends further than the regular digi galleries

Everyone here is willing to help out when things go wrong and no one ever minds taking over a challenge or blog post every now and then but if the every now and then begins to turn into a regular thing it's probably time to re-think your commitment to the team. Also make sure you communicate with the team, we have a behind the scenes part of the forum for that very reason - so that we can let everyone else know what's happening

I think what has been said before is so true, I wear my SSD blinkie with pride and would never say or do anything that would hurt the designers or other members of the team here at SSD. Sometimes that means stopping and thinking before pressing the keys on my keyboard
Old 07-24-2010, 12:35 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

these were excellent questions! and i'm sure many agree.
Old 07-24-2010, 12:54 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

1. How did you become a Babe? Did you apply in an open call or were you chosen? I applied to a call and was not initially chosen, but when an opening became available, I was contacted.

I had been scrapping about six months. I've been on the team since January 2009 and I started scrapping in late June 2008.

It depends, but each page takes me 2 hours (after I upload and link back, etc). I also try to comment on pages and participate in forum threads. I do think it's important to consider whether you can make the commitment before accepting any CT position.

4. How many of you have a real full-time job and if you do, how do you manage to balance these duties with SSD responsibilities (and with taking care of your family)? I actually have a pretty stressful career. I manage two divisions within the largest business unit of a fortune 100 company. I am kind of a freak of nature with my ability to get a lot done in a short period of time. I tend to scrap while doing a few other things at the same time, so I can still feel engaged with my family. It does get overwhelming at times, because I'm on several CTs outside of this community too.

5. What happens if there's an unforeseen situation that prevents you from fulfilling your duties (health reasons, family reasons etc.)? I agree with what's already been posted about this. However, I think in most circumstances, even if you have stuff happening IRL, it's still achievable to meet the duties of the CT.

Good luck to all of the ladies that decide to apply!!

Last edited by SeattleSheri; 07-24-2010 at 01:22 PM.
Old 07-24-2010, 01:03 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Wow! thanks girls for the questions and answers!
Old 07-24-2010, 03:22 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

This thread is awesome, and now I feel like I want to apply. I'm still not totally sold on my own "style" though...even though I love most of my pages. I might have to apply just to see what happens....I really can't decide what I want to do! It's no fear of rejection that's keeping me from applying, I have been rejected plenty of times, it's mostly a fear of not living up to the babe standards!

siggy by the incredibly amazing Jacinda
Old 07-24-2010, 03:25 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

1. How did you become a Babe? Did you apply in an open call or were you chosen? / 2. How long have you been scrapping before you became a Babe? /3. How much time do your Babe duties take on average?

I applied once and didn't make it. I'm not going to lie, that's not a great feeling. BUT not long after I received an invitation. That was the total opposite of the not great feeling LOL I'd been a paper scrapper then a digi-scrapper for 5 years. I only apply and commit to teams I really want to be on. The time commitment really varies for me, depending on (family schedule, hormones, season, yada yada) The bottom line, you have to make time for it like everything else. I really like the product and people and it doesn't feel like a chore. I ♥ being a Babe.
Old 07-24-2010, 03:43 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I applied on a lark not thinking I would ever make it. I had many friends that did and were not picked so didn't think I would have a chance. But I remember driving in the car with my dh and getting the email from Robin telling me I was a Babe and I just cried thinking "WOW....." I don't think I have ever lost that feeling of being honored to be here.

I started digi-scrapping about 2003 and maybe was into a year before I came on board. Now I say that with uncertainty because I just honestly feel like I have always been here and can't exactly remember when I joined. Aggie will come in and correct me - she seems to remember.

This is an unusual question for me because I never think of the things that I do as a Babe to be a "duty." I love to scrap and being on the team allows me the opportunity to do just that with kits that I really love. I have active girls so my time can vary from month to month but I am a very organized person and like to be ahead on things if I can so that I have time to offer to work on other things around the site.

I have a full time job, am part of the PTG at the school and volunteer with Girl Scouts and other various non-profits in our area but like I said earlier, I am very organized about things in my life - so for me this kind of hectic schedule is normal. Balancing it all can be stressful but I guess that is where the scrapbooking comes in - it allows me an opportunity to "unwind" and reflect about things my family is doing.

Being a Babe doesn't mean that you can't have a life offline - and as we all know - things just happen in life. Robin is the most easiest and caring person you will ever meet and if you come to her and let her know she will definitely support you. Also the team of girls here are so understanding and will jump in whenever you need it so that things get done. It really is like a family here like some of the girls have said earlier.

Good luck to all those that apply - I am super excited to see who will be joining us!
Old 07-24-2010, 03:51 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Thank you, girls, for your answers! That will help me with my thinking. And even so, it was great to learn all these things about you, I find it truly interesting. So even if I don't apply, I'm glad I asked all this. ;-)

Old 07-24-2010, 03:52 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I am thankful for this thread. It helped me a lot: I just sent my app in and was mortified that I just did. hahaha Now I'm feeling better. Thanks
Old 07-24-2010, 04:29 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to newfiemountiewife Send a message via Yahoo to newfiemountiewife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giseli Freitas View Post
I am thankful for this thread. It helped me a lot: I just sent my app in and was mortified that I just did. hahaha Now I'm feeling better. Thanks
Never be mortified! You'll never know if you don't try. The last go round, I almost didn't apply, because I'd been rejected before, but some good friends reminded me that I'd never know if I didn't try. And even though I didn't make it that time, I was glad I tried, because Robin knew that I wanted the spot! So the next time one became available, I got it.

Also, I agree with what Meg said too. I think it is important to present yourself in the forums in a mature manner, not just here. It's like any "job", you are representing not just yourself, but any store or designer that you create for.
Old 07-24-2010, 05:46 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlirtatiousBrat View Post
I KNOW here and there things are said about SSD being cliquish and "elite" but that's garbage..(i know you've read it..don't act shocked) there's no better team to CT for [/COLOR]
Never heard of it until you've mentioned it. So now I know! What am I going to do? *acts shocked* :-)))

Old 07-24-2010, 05:49 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have to say you girls are the coolest. Each time when in doubt, I come back to this thread and after going through it I want to apply right away. Your enthusiasm is so contagious. :-)

Old 07-24-2010, 06:11 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I applied in an open calland will always remember when b/c I was in the Hospital giving birth to Mr. Mason who is not 2 1/2

About 2 yrsand believe me I've come a long way so much I've learned and applied to my pages today.

ohhh I have no idea. I just do my assignments and a layout takes me anywhere between 1/2 hr to an hour depending on the kit and the pics I need to post-process <-- did I say that right? LOL. You work with what you want from the store and the rest is assignments.

I have a full time job. I mainly scrap during lunch (1hr.) and in the late evenings or in the morning before everyone wakes up it depends.

Well I think this has already been answered by so many that I'll just say ditto what they all said.

Please don't be scared go for it and apply

Old 07-24-2010, 06:14 PM
Sweets

profile gallery send pm

Awesome thread. Thanks babes for sharing your thoughts with us on this!

Old 07-24-2010, 06:40 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Thanks everyone who took the time to reply! Love hearing the stories!
Old 07-24-2010, 07:51 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

It's very cool indeed to hear from the Babes on what life is like in babedom.
Old 07-24-2010, 08:46 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

This has been very interesting to read!!
Old 07-24-2010, 09:30 PM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

I love reading the responses from the babes! Great questions to ask and thanks for doing so.
Old 07-24-2010, 10:09 PM
Sweets

profile gallery send pm

Totally cool thread. Thanks for sharing, everyone!!!!

Kristen
Old 07-24-2010, 10:34 PM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

Thanks everyone for responding to this thread. Really helps. I wasn't planning to apply, but now I'm thinking about it.

Portfolios:
May June

Proud to be a Creative Team member for SusDesigns
Old 07-25-2010, 10:29 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I applied to two open calls before finally getting accepted on my third try. I say three is my lucky charm! It took me two years before getting the Babe spot though.

I started scrapping 2003 and became a SugarBabe Feb 2007 I think.

Hmmm. That would be hard to quantify. I'm a scrapper who scraps in bursts - scrap everyday for a week, complete 10-20 pages, then nothing at all for the next 3 weeks. As long as I have completed my assignments, I try not to "force" it. Sometimes I get so busy that scrapping really takes the backseat.

I work full time from home so it's hard to find that balance. I check the forum everyday, keep in touch with the staff, know what's happening, etc. As Robin said in her post about the call, being a Babe is more than just turning in layouts, we are asked for ideas about challenges, help with blog posting, and some of us take extra responsibilities like helping Robin with other stuff - tracking points for portfolio, keeping track of Babe assignments, collecting TOTM pages - the list goes on

Other babes step in That's what is WONDERFUL with our FAMILY Really. Life happens and we cant control incidents and situations. As long as you keep everyone informed, others will step up and cover for you - it's great!!!
Old 07-25-2010, 07:14 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

part of me wants to do this but the other part of me says I have no chance.

I am only 23, single, live overseas & study/work part time so don't have a lot of family things to scrap. I really don't know if that is going to work for a gig like this.

Scrappy Instagram

Creative Team Member for The Lilypad & Studio Liv

Old 07-25-2010, 07:34 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

What a great thread! I've really enjoyed reading these responses too. I had mine almost finished last night when a certain 16 month old visited me and started hitting keys...*poof* post gone! Now that I've taken a few deep breaths, here's my 2nd attempt...

I became a Babe when the site began in 2006. I was on both Robin and Christy's creative teams at the time and I guess I bugged Robin enough about being a part of this new adventure. I've also put on the designer and hybrid Babe hats for a short time, but am back to being a digi-Babe!

I had been scrapping for about 7 months before becoming a Babe. July is my 5-year digi-anniversary (this week, actually)!

Each layout takes about 2-3 hours between photo-editing, scrapping, uploading and commenting (I rarely finish a layout in one sitting anymore). Being present in the forums and creating blog posts adds a pretty variable amount of time for me. I love reading the forum posts and looking through the gallery.

I work outside the home full-time as a cognitive neuroscientist. My hubby and I have two little girls (16.5 months and 2.5 weeks, so I'm currently on maternity leave). I schedule like a maniac, but often deviate. I struggle with balance between what I'm obligated to do and what I want to do (like so many others), but everything I do for SSD never feels like a "duty", it's part of documenting my family's life and find our "responsibilities" a joy to do (and even moreso when I manage my time well!).

I think the other Babes have covered this one perfectly. SSD really is a family and when one person has to take a step back for something important in their lives, there are lots of other people who will step in to help.
Old 07-25-2010, 07:59 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

This is all such great information to have. Thanks to all the Babes for answering
Old 07-25-2010, 08:14 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

this was a really fun thread to read. I'm not applying, I stand no chance since I'm a template user.

I wish all of you applying luck!!!!!!!
Old 07-25-2010, 08:41 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Sorry, OT... Alisa what font did you use in your siggy?
Old 07-25-2010, 09:05 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Oh gosh, it was either djb malea or Nicole. I'll check and pm you with it. I'm not at the computer that has ps.
Old 07-26-2010, 03:06 AM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

Aww that was so interesting to read! I would LOVE to apply... even if I know I'm not good enough. But thanks for this thread, it was really helpful!
Old 07-26-2010, 04:18 AM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

This has been a really interesting read - I know that I am new to this forum, but it as got me thinking...

Thanks for all the answers and insights from the Babes
Old 07-26-2010, 11:48 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Awesome thread!
Old 07-26-2010, 12:28 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I really enjoyed reading all these little tid-bits.