Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 04-01-2012, 07:02 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default I'm devastated

I was organizing my supplies in ACDSee, doing some more tagging and getting rid of a few kits. Then, when I thought I was deleting a particular kit, I deleted my entire SSD folder! There is no undo button in ACDSee and I can't access my recycle bin from there. So I went to the recycle bin in explorer and put my folder back. But ofcourse, all my tags have gone
My last database backup was on March 16, so I wanted to restore it from my EHD. I plug in my EHD and... nothing! That disk is only 3 months old and it has already died on me!!
Tried to plug it in on my dh's computer but doesn't work there either. It's like it doesn't get any power at all.
I'm devastated. I have 233 kits in my SSD folder and those were all tagged on color, style, type, designer, theme,... Not only the previews but also at least 50% of the elements and papers. All those tags are gone. Months of work through the roof!

I bought that EHD online and already sent an email to customer service. But it states in their terms that whenever something is broken within a year, you get a free replacement. I don't want that! I want my EHD fixed so I can restore my ACDSee backup!
Old 04-01-2012, 07:11 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Oh Kim, I feel for you.....
And this is exactly the reason why I don't tag my stuff. For me there's a pretty good find button in explorer to search my stuff....and I am more or less a kit scrapper, so I don't search for it often.

But that doesn't take away the fact that I feel for you....it's no joke right?
Old 04-01-2012, 07:22 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I gasped thinking you lost all you SSD supplies.

I don't use ACDsee so I don't know what it means to have lost all the tags but I'm just thankful you have all your supplies!!!!
Old 04-01-2012, 07:22 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Oh the irony of this happening on April 1! It's no joke, unfortunately. Unless this is my computer's idea of trying to fool me
Old 04-01-2012, 07:24 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayaandjudah View Post
I gasped thinking you lost all you SSD supplies.

I don't use ACDsee so I don't know what it means to have lost all the tags but I'm just thankful you have all your supplies!!!!
Yeah I know, I'm grateful for that. But still... I rely completely on ACDSee for my scrapping, it sucks that I can't find the stuff I'm looking for anymore.
Old 04-01-2012, 07:25 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to mummytothree

I'm so sorry Kim!!! I can totally relate......I pulled a "stupid" last week and renamed my folder that has all my photos in it....I didn't do it in ACDSee (don't ask me why...I know you have to do it in ACDSee...I can only think I must of had a brain fart) and I lost all my photo tags.....I have over 20,000 photos!!! I've been spending hours each day trying to get them all tagged again...going through every stinking page I've every scrapped so I can re tag those ones I have already scrapped!!!

I'm so sorry you are in this same boat!!! It's not a fun place to be!!!

Elizabeth

Blogging for Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 04-01-2012, 07:38 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Oh my goodness, that is so awful!!! I'm so sorry!!

I had an EHD that I thought died on me with ALL my digi stuff - including all my designing things and I had no backups...I was freaking out!! After talking to my tech brother, I had a little hope. He said sometimes the power supply goes out on EHDs but the drive is still good. I had to remove the EHD from its case (which is really hard btw...) and then plugged it into my computer internally & it worked just fine!!! So if you know how to do that or know someone who does - I would try that. Good luck!!
Old 04-01-2012, 07:44 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by erica zane View Post
Oh my goodness, that is so awful!!! I'm so sorry!!

I had an EHD that I thought died on me with ALL my digi stuff - including all my designing things and I had no backups...I was freaking out!! After talking to my tech brother, I had a little hope. He said sometimes the power supply goes out on EHDs but the drive is still good. I had to remove the EHD from its case (which is really hard btw...) and then plugged it into my computer internally & it worked just fine!!! So if you know how to do that or know someone who does - I would try that. Good luck!!
Oh no!!! yeah... if you have this nifty device to hook the drive to the computer, like Erica mentioned... you still have some hope...

http://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-USB-DS...8850541&sr=1-1
Old 04-01-2012, 07:58 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

@Elizabeth: oh no, that sucks too This happened here before as well: renaming or moving something in explorer and ending up with lots of orphan files...

I love ACDSee but the thing I hate most in it is that there's no undo button! It would also be so much more efficient if the tags were automaticly added to the files meta data. I know Lightroom works like that and if I hadn't already built up such an extensive database in ACDSee, I would probably change...

@Erica: thanks for the tip. I'm just going to wait until I hear back from the store because the disk is still under warranty... It does look like it's the power supply that died. I'm hoping that changing the adapter will solve it!

@Rebecca: that looks interesting! If all else fails, I'll look into that!
Old 04-01-2012, 08:00 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

{sob} I would be so upset too.
Old 04-01-2012, 08:00 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Oh, that stinks. I use ACDSee and tag so I know how frustrating this is. I'm so sorry. Hope you can get it to work.

Old 04-01-2012, 08:04 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Not an ACDSee user but any malfunction and loss of time makes me furious! I'm so sorry!
Old 04-01-2012, 08:27 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freckles View Post
I'm just going to wait until I hear back from the store because the disk is still under warranty... It does look like it's the power supply that died. I'm hoping that changing the adapter will solve it!
oh good! fingers crossed for you!
Old 04-01-2012, 09:42 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

OH NO!!! That's horrible!!!! Maybe a techie person can work on the EHD????
Old 04-01-2012, 10:41 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I used to tag EVERYTHING and after tagging over 10,000 items with multiple tags a piece, i lost all my tags. now I don't tag at all. I gave up.

Old 04-01-2012, 12:03 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

Here's another idea for you (don't know if it will work/be helpful, though... but just in case)...

When you delete things from a hard drive, they're not really gone yet. You don't have a link to access them anymore, but they're still physically saved on the hard drive UNTIL/UNLESS your computer writes over them again. Soo... my first advice (in case your EHD plan fails, too) is to avoid saving anything (or at least, make as few changes as possible to your computer's hard drive right now)... and then see if you can do a "restore-to-previous-date" with your computer's operating system. Are you on a PC, or a Mac? I know that on PCs, there's a way to restore your computer to a point in the past... like a few days ago... or yesterday (before you did this), etc. I can't remember how off the top of my head, but I am sure Google has lots of answers. I wish I could remember exactly what it's called and how to do it. I had to do it once, years ago, and it actually worked. Because -- technically -- your info is still there, unless you've written over it already (not likely, this soon, though?). Again, if you're scrapping today or doing anything you have to save -- use an external device and try not to alter your computer's internal HD until you can try this.

Good luck!
Old 04-01-2012, 12:31 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to coopert

Hugs, I know the frustration and terrible feeling in the stomach losing files. Don't know about tags. But we hard multiple hard drives crash within a 10 day period in February, including backups. Luckily I have recovered most of my digital stuff and most of our home videos. Keep communicating with the techie you know and hopefully you can get it all worked out.
Old 04-01-2012, 12:38 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Oh no!!! I don't use ACDSee... but I think I would be totally devastated after all that hard work... I hope you're able to get it all back sweetie!!!
Old 04-01-2012, 12:50 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Oh no!!! I don't use ACDSee... but I think I would be totally devastated after all that hard work... I hope you're able to get it all back sweetie!!!
Old 04-01-2012, 01:22 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

Awwww, that's too bad We all know how much work it is to do all that tagging! Do you have Adobe Bridge at all? You can tag the metadata of the file within Bridge so you can access the tags no matter where the file is moved to. I've been using it for years and it's great. Something to think about if you have to re-tag it all anyways!
Old 04-01-2012, 01:33 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Oh wow! I am so sorry that happened to you!
Old 04-01-2012, 02:00 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Oh, I'm sorry Kim! I really hope some of the solutions the girls have suggested will work for you. Or that they can replace the EHD adapter in the shop.
Old 04-01-2012, 04:20 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Thanks for the mental support ladies
If I can't recover my database backup, I will seriously consider changing to another way of organizing my files... I need to do some research as to what might work best for me, because I'm so used to ACDSee and I love how I can have so many categories and subcategories while still having a clear overview... I'm not sure if that'll be the case with other programs...

And if I CAN recover my backup, I swear I'm going to save any new backups to at least 3 different places!!
Old 04-01-2012, 07:37 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

OMG the bottom just fell out of my tummy when I read your post! i'm so sorry, Kim! I hope you recover your backup!

I don't use ACDSee, I use Lightroom and only tag my previews since I'm primarily a kit scrapper. The other day I was cleaning up my catalog and had accidentally deleted several images from it. I was p!ssed at the thought of having to re-tag them but went and re-imported them anyway. But I forgot that since my tags are in the metadata of the images, once the images were in my catalog again they reflected the tags!
Old 04-01-2012, 08:00 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Oh, no! I hope the tech people can get your EHD working again. What a lot of work to lose. I tried tagging once, and after working on it for a few hours I renamed or moved a folder, lost all the tags, and realized tagging wasn't for me. I was frustrated losing a few hours of work--I can't imagine if yours can't be recovered!
Old 04-02-2012, 04:15 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

You know what I discovered last night? That there IS a way to embed your tags in the files' metadata in ACDSee! I have immediately done it for all my other (non-SSD) stuff. I wish I had know this earlier but everyone of you who uses ACDSee should definitely do this like NOW! It's under tools: embed database information.
Old 04-02-2012, 05:07 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I thought for a minute that you lost all your SSD goodies!! Tagging is a lot of work and thats exactly why I don't do it. Hope you can find a solution for it soon.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:16 AM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

Kim, I am so sorry. I know how many hours of work you lost! That is terrible about the EHD. I am so paranoid now that I back my stuff up to 2 different EHDs.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:54 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

The store I bought it at, says I need to go directly to Western Digital to claim my warranty and ask for a replacement (so typical!). I went to the WD site and the phone number for my country was not working. Ugh. I filed an automatic replacement request and they're now going to send me a new EHD. I then have 30 days to send my old one back. So my data will not get recovered
I only hope that it's just the adapter!! Then I can plug in the adapter of the replacement disk to recover my backups from the old one!! If that doesn't work, I will have lost everything on it.
Old 04-02-2012, 12:10 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I literally gasped when you said you deleted the entire SSD folder but glad you still have it, even though the tagging is gone I don't tag my stuff. I use search to find stuff if I need it. I also don't tag photos. Somehow that works for me. lol

Old 04-02-2012, 02:10 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I'm so sorry Kim - All that hard work! I hope your new trick of embedding works smoothly! I'm not a tagger, but I can't imagine losing all that time and effort! Hugs!
Old 04-02-2012, 05:42 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

Kim - I'm so sorry this is happening!

In ACDSee, I've been trying to use that embed metadata function but I have no idea if it really works. I was going to recommend it but I can see you have already found it and it doesn't help with the files that have moved and moved back It's another step to remember to do. I guess this is why Kayla of Digiscrap101 recommends Lightroom, but I really like the functionality of ACDSee and want to use it for my digi supplies.
Old 04-03-2012, 04:22 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

For everybody who might be interested - embedding metadata in ACDSee works. But you have to do it before you move your files. I did it a month ago when moving my files to EHD and it worked 100%. Just remember to embed BEFORE, and actually it might be wise to embed everything right away as a precaution even if you don't plan to move the files, just in case you do what Kim did by accident. :-(

It happened to me too that I moved all my stash and almost had a heart attack thinking I deleted it, but it wasn't to the bin, but to another folder. In such case ACDSee remembers the tags (it did in my case). Unfortunately it seems that it doesn't work that way from the trashing bin.

Prepare that embedding takes some time if your stash is huge. However, when you do it second time around (to include new tags you did in the meantime), the system remembers what's already embedded so each time it takes less time.

Kim didn't embed before because she didn't know it existed - neither did I until about a month ago - but you can avoid trouble if you do it. Just saying. If you do it, then ACDSee is on par with Lightroom - in case you love ACDSee (as I do) and don't want to switch, this is a good thing to know.

Also, I've had the best experience with their customer support in case something went wrong, so never forget to use this option before giving up on (any) software.

Kim, you know I wish you luck, I already told you. Hope you can work this out somehow.

Old 04-05-2012, 07:56 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Update: I received my replacement EHD today and did what I said I was going to try: plug the adapter of my new EHD into my old one and... oh yeah baby, it worked!!!! I was able to restore my ACDSee database!! * doing the happy dance*
I still lost the tags I made in the past 3 weeks, but compared to the work I would have had if I had to redo everything, that's no biggie! Yay!
Old 04-05-2012, 08:16 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Yay! Great news!

Old 04-05-2012, 08:53 AM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

*phew* BIG SIGH OF RELIEF!! I am so happy for you! You should celebrate by buying yourself something nice to play with (and tag!), LOL!
Old 04-05-2012, 09:22 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

OMG!! YAY!!!!!
Old 04-05-2012, 02:24 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Happy with you. :-)