Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2009, 06:10 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default for those that print indivdual pages- albums

*If* you print individual layouts, what type of album do you use to store your layouts? I've been using Mrs. Grossman's 8x8 albums because I had a huge stash for them and I found today they are full up. I need to buy albums for 2008, 2009, and one to start me on 2010 and I can't decide what type to use. Mrs. G aren't available anymore and I'm just unsure what to use. I like the Creative Memories 8x8 ones but the side loading page protectors are outrageously expensive. I'm considering the WeRMemory Keeprs post bound 8x8's because I can order them online. Any other suggestions?
Old 12-05-2009, 06:22 PM
Brodo gettin her Swerb on

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to ColleenSwerb

Post bound albums a huge pain in the rear to add protectors to, just so you know. I've gone completely 3 ring or ding because of it.
Old 12-05-2009, 06:30 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Another fan of ding albums here. I use the 8.5x11 American Crafts cloth albums but I believe they have 8x8 albums too. I've also heard good things about the WeRMemory Keepers albums but I've never used them.
Old 12-05-2009, 06:30 PM
Just a Scrapper

profile gallery send pm

I'm Ding now, too, but haven't found a good album, in awhile, that wasn't outrageously expensive. Janet Phillips had a source online that seems to have dried up for a big color selection, but here's the link;

https://www.shopwer.com

Scrappin' Grannies has these
http://www.scrappingrannies.com/albu...ums_order.html

http://www.scrappingrannies.com/albu...ums_order.html
Old 12-05-2009, 06:45 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

I have several post bound. And yes, to add-a-post can be a pain.
Another thing, purchasing the refills, well it seems they are all slightly different in size. (the extension to the post).

I too have many, many, many CM albums. Geez...loved them as a paper scrapper,but their 12x12 are really 12x 11.5! grrrrr. not great for digi.
I do my own kind of hybrid scrapping. Some pages digi, some paper , some mixed.

Was chatting with (thanksgiving night) a CM rep. at my brothers house.
She says, she is still using the albums and lets the 12x12 extend on that little edge. I've not tried it yet.
(I was trying to sway her toward digi).
m
Old 12-05-2009, 06:58 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

All the Mrs. G albums I've been using are post bound. I pre-load them with 50 page protectors and then rearrange layouts from there, not protectors. D ring has always put me off because I do a lot of 2 page layouts and I didn't think I'd like the big gap and metal rings in between my pages. I've never tried it though.

Ms Brad - the Creative Memories albums are true 12x12 now, just fyi.

Darcy - thanks for the links. I'll look at those. I don't mind paying $20 for an album, but I just need the protectors to not be so pricey as CM. These might work for me.
Old 12-05-2009, 07:53 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to nun69

I knows the CM albums and page protcetors are expensive, but I LUBS them...I just keep my pages stored until I can afford to buy an album or more page protectors
Old 12-05-2009, 08:10 PM
Sugar Cookie

profile gallery send pm

I went with the American Crafts 8x8 ding cloth album and was disappointed for a couple of reasons.
1) It comes with 2ings, not 3ings. The 2ings are not enough to hold the pages in place, so you get "page droop" when you hold the album up.
2) If you like to scrap 2-pagers, it will look really far apart in a Ding album.
3) Ding albums are really thick. The AC 8x8 was 2 1/2 inches thick.

I wrote a full review of the American Crafts 8x8 cloth ding album on my blog. American Crafts subsequently contacted me and told me that they are coming out with 3ing 8x8 albums, but I haven't seen them yet.

Old 12-05-2009, 08:37 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

So I have about 150 LOs printed in storage boxes waiting for album homes

I've most recently been using Close to My Heart Post albums and I've been pretty satisfied with those!

But can someone tell me what a Ding album is? I'll try anything once!

beckie_scraps on IG!
Old 12-05-2009, 08:45 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Emmy, doesn't Stampin Up have 8x8 albums? I think that's what I used for my Disney album -- postbound, too.
Old 12-05-2009, 09:07 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColleenSwerb View Post
Post bound albums a huge pain in the rear to add protectors to, just so you know. I've gone completely 3 ring or ding because of it.
OMG YES! Just discovered these in 8x8 not long ago and I am in heaven. I love that you can put WAY more layouts in a book, they are easier to move around later for chronological order, and just all around easier. I get mine at Michaels.

kit used for siggie "Kona Coast" by Julie Billingsley
Old 12-05-2009, 09:11 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by g8rbeckie View Post
Beckie - a D ring album is just like a 3 ring album but the shape of the ring isn't a circle but a D (if you are looking at it from the top or bottom of the album horizontally.
Old 12-05-2009, 09:12 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to tettletop20 Send a message via Skype™ to tettletop20

Quote:
Originally Posted by g8rbeckie View Post
So I have about 150 LOs printed in storage boxes waiting for album homes

I've most recently been using Close to My Heart Post albums and I've been pretty satisfied with those!

Ding album is something like this:
Old 12-05-2009, 09:26 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I do not recommend the Making Memories 8x8 3ing albums. Refills are pricey and the rings do not close tightly. I have the corduroy ones and they look really nice all lined up on the shelf, but they are not practical. The top rings open up and my pages are half falling out. Ticks me off!
Old 12-05-2009, 09:27 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Emmy, I use Pioneer 8x8 post bound albums I found at Michael's, which means that I bought them with my 50% off coupon for super cheap. They work great, and I totally recommend them.
Old 12-05-2009, 09:36 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelsgirl View Post
Emmy, I use Pioneer 8x8 post bound albums I found at Michael's, which means that I bought them with my 50% off coupon for super cheap. They work great, and I totally recommend them.
Another vote for the Pioneer Postbound albums! I've used the 8.5x11s for years. Most (all?) Pioneer albums are now equipped with snapload, and you can buy snapload separately for albums that don't have it preinstalled. Snapload is a plastic strap sort of thing that replaces the metal posts, and I find it a lot easier to add pages that way. I get mine at AC Moore. They have a larger selection than the local Michaels.

I personally don't like ring albums. I don't like the gap for 2-pagers, plus my kids play with the rings. I've also had too many binders drop and open over the years--I'd be worried that if someone dropped an album (happens frequently here) the rings might pop open and the LOs would spill out.
Old 12-05-2009, 11:10 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertwinkle View Post
I went with the American Crafts 8x8 ding cloth album and was disappointed for a couple of reasons.
1) It comes with 2ings, not 3ings. The 2ings are not enough to hold the pages in place, so you get "page droop" when you hold the album up.
2) If you like to scrap 2-pagers, it will look really far apart in a Ding album.

I wrote a full review of the American Crafts 8x8 cloth ding album on my blog. American Crafts subsequently contacted me and told me that they are coming out with 3ing 8x8 albums, but I haven't seen them yet.
I was wondering if you'd heard anything more from them.

I think the problem might not actually the binder as much as it is the page protectors. I bought an 8.5x11 set of divided page protectors the other day from WeRMemory Keepers and they fit much tighter in the album because they only have maybe half an inch of edge between the page and the ring, whereas the AC page protectors have almost 2 inches between the page and the ring. If you look that's where the droop seems to come from. I wonder if maybe a different set of page protectors would work? (assuming the holes would line up which they probably won't, haha)
Old 12-05-2009, 11:20 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Lynnette - how do you use 8.5x11 albums? Do you mount your layouts or print them on that size paper?
Old 12-05-2009, 11:23 PM
Just a Scrapper

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
One more reason I like the Ding - I need thick albums because I go through 2 every year and pack them with layouts - I need them thick LOL
Old 12-05-2009, 11:26 PM
Just a Scrapper

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rach3975 View Post
Another vote for the Pioneer Postbound albums! I've used the 8.5x11s for years. Most (all?) Pioneer albums are now equipped with snapload, and you can buy snapload separately for albums that don't have it preinstalled. Snapload is a plastic strap sort of thing that replaces the metal posts, and I find it a lot easier to add pages that way. I get mine at AC Moore. They have a larger selection than the local Michaels.

I personally don't like ring albums. I don't like the gap for 2-pagers, plus my kids play with the rings. I've also had too many binders drop and open over the years--I'd be worried that if someone dropped an album (happens frequently here) the rings might pop open and the LOs would spill out.
I don't know if it's just the retro-fi snaploads, but they don't hold up to my albums. They're really thick, and we look at them a lot, and the adhesive just didn't hold up to our use. I was a huge fan of them to redo all my post bound 12x12 albums, and hate them now. I acually prefer the ring albums for the way I scrap and store, and the Dring ones aren't so loose that they ever come apart, no matter how rough we are with them.

I'm just so not a fan of post bound LOL I have to go to Lowes to get the 2" post replacements, and they just flop around when you get an album that big - it's no longer sturdy. Just our experience.
Old 12-05-2009, 11:27 PM
Just a Scrapper

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nettio View Post
I wonder if maybe a different set of page protectors would work? (assuming the holes would line up which they probably won't, haha)
But that's what a hole punch is for LOLOL Make'em fit!
Old 12-05-2009, 11:27 PM
Sweets

profile gallery send pm

Quote:

Ditto what Christine said! We both investigated the American Crafts at the same time. I ended up getting WRMK 8x8 D-Ring with the linen cover. They're a little expensive, but really nice and have an insert on the spine for a label. I'm really happy with my decision in the end. Also, the WRMK page protectors are a lot thicker and seem nicer than the AC pages.
Old 12-05-2009, 11:29 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Well when I first scrapped I used to do more 8.5x11 size pages so that's why I went with the bigger albums. Now I just put both the 8.5x11 and 8x8 size page protectors into the same album. I think the reason the 8x8 protectors fit though is because the AC 8x8 protectors have 4 holes. I'm not sure it would work with some of the other brands.

Does anyone here happen to use the 8x8 WeRMemory Keepers 3ing albums? I was curious to know how far apart the holes in the 8x8 protectors are because you can't tell from the description.
Old 12-05-2009, 11:33 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by starxlr8 View Post
Ditto what Christine said! We both investigated the American Crafts at the same time. I ended up getting WRMK 8x8 D-Ring with the linen cover. They're a little expensive, but really nice and have an insert on the spine for a label. I'm really happy with my decision in the end. Also, the WRMK page protectors are a lot thicker and seem nicer than the AC pages.
Oo, would you be willing to measure how far apart the holes are on the page protectors?

And Darcy, have you tried to cut holes into the page protectors? I just did some using my crop-o-dile for my Christmas album and it doesn't punch so much as mangle.
Old 12-05-2009, 11:35 PM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

Well aren't you all a boat load of info! lol! I am seriously waaaayyyy behind in putting my pages in albums (my pics too for that matter) but at least they're all printed. My other problem with putting my pages in their albums is that I'm soo not a chronological scrapper by any means and I hate to put my pages not in the right order... I guess I'll just have to put them in by year and live with it... thanks for all the info girls!
Old 12-05-2009, 11:57 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelsgirl View Post
DUDE...they have Michael's in Borneo??

Huh.

beckie_scraps on IG!
Old 12-06-2009, 11:05 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

i got a few 8x8 by the Paper Studio the other day cuz they were 50% off and i'm cheap.... they are the post bound type which IS a pain to me, but i'm use to it i guess.

i'm gonna read though all these posts though to see if anyone mentioned a D ring 8x8!

good luck!

(aka L. Reid)

Old 12-06-2009, 11:53 AM
Just a Scrapper

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nettio View Post

And Darcy, have you tried to cut holes into the page protectors? I just did some using my crop-o-dile for my Christmas album and it doesn't punch so much as mangle.
Yep - I do it all the time You can find me sitting on my bed about twice a year, cutting holes (1 -2 at a time) with my punch, making whatever brand 8x8 I got on the cheap fit the album lol, and then organizing that six months'ish worth of layouts together.

Renee - I do mine by general season as I'm loading, then once or twice per year, I sit down and organize the best I can. While I'm not chronological, I do scrap only within one year, so that helps me a bit.
Old 12-06-2009, 12:15 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I hate post bound albums. I've switched to the American Crafts 8x8 D ring, and I really like them. Personally,I haven't had any issues with them. I'm not a chronological scrapper but I don't really organize either, I have an album for each year and all the pages I scrap go into the album in the order I scrap them. I know that horrifies some, but it works for me.