Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2007, 04:30 PM
Sugar Cookie

profile gallery send pm
Default Mod Podge- Help!!! (pics inside)

So I have been working on my first ever CD album. It was going fine until I coated my pages with Mod Podge this morning. Well, I guess I wasn't very careful in applying it. Somehow I imagined Mod Podge would just dry nice and smooth. But I can see every stroke of my sponge... the pages are now all streaky! See??!!!

What do I do? Just punch the holes and live with it? Should I try to sand and apply another coat? I don't want these pages to be much thicker than they already are, though.

Blech- I was so excited to be almost done, and now it looks like crud. Any help would really be appreciated!
Old 07-02-2007, 09:21 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

well it's really cute. i'm not up much on this stuff sorry hun
Old 07-02-2007, 09:38 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I made some tiles with mod-podge and after reading some comments others made, I chose to just put mod-podge for the underneath base coat and not on top. Even for the base coat it says to make sure all the strokes are even and going in the same direction. Sorry, can't be much help. If you haven't mod-podged all of them, I would say to maybe reprint the ones you need to and maybe just put a spray clear coat on them.

Fan of ALL SSD Designers
Proud to create for:

Old 07-03-2007, 03:28 AM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

What a beautiful album! I haven't tried it with modge podge, but back in the days when I taught painting and decorative painting we sometimes had problems with varnishes which were similar to modge podge. We'd use an ultra fine sandpaper and lightly sand the area until it's totally smooth to touch. Sand lightly but lots and lots and you will gradually remove the bumps and ridges. Remove all the dust with a soft cloth, and then a damp cloth should get rid of most of the dust. You could then apply a thin layer over the top using a foam brush. You could possibly use a spray over the top once it's all smooth, but you'd have to test first in case the products are not compatable and you end up with a cloudy mess.

Best of luck with this!!

Cheers
Deb

My Sweet Shoppe Gallery My Little twitter
Avatar features Beached Kit by Paula Duncan at SSD
Old 07-03-2007, 04:04 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

How cute! No help from here though - sorry! I've never really done much paper scrapping, not using Mod Podge anyway - LOL!!

Old 07-03-2007, 07:35 AM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

Mod Podge can be tricky.. You really have to do a LIGHT coat, if it is just to seal. If you put too much, it can bubble up, and also smear.. I don't know which MP you used, I usally use the one in the matte (yellow label), But, that is the biggest thing i found, is you really have to apply it thinnly, and then it should be ok, but.. it seems you always somewhat see the lines.. But, it really shouldn't be too bad..
As for what you can do NOW, lol... I don't know what to tell ya. I would be leary of using sandpaper, for fear of totally messing it up. I think i would just live with it.. and practice on a separate sheet of paper/cardboard for next time.. Hey, it's your first time, don't sweat the small stuff, i am sure the album is beautiful anyway!!
Old 07-03-2007, 08:22 AM
Sugar Cookie

profile gallery send pm

Thanks, girls! I have so much time and energy invested in this thing by now, I think I am just going to live and learn. Definitely a much thinner coat next time, or maybe even a different product. Now.... what to do with this giant vat of podge?
Old 07-03-2007, 09:52 PM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

Sandra, don't give up on the MP - It really is a great product, for certian things!! Just practice and learn to embrace the 'podge!! LOL
Old 07-04-2007, 11:00 AM
Sugar Cookie

profile gallery send pm

UPDATE- it's done! Thanks so much for all your help, ladies. I decided to live with the stroke marks from the podge, and otherwise it turned out pretty well! Want to see it? Use this link to my gallery where I have uploaded a few pics!

http://www.digishoptalk.com/gallery/...php?ppuser=646