Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 07-26-2010, 04:31 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default What to do in Denver?

Things have been stressful (house not selling, new house almost done, dog is really sick- I'm a bad country song really!) I go back to work (and hope to close on my new house too) on August 16. So, the hubby decided to take off the week before I go back to work so we could have a getaway. We needed to do something cheap, but wanted to get away from here too. We love the mountains, so he picked Denver...
The kids are staying with grandma, and again, we need to be somewhat cheap... any ideas are appreciated!

Returning from a long scrapping hiatus!
Old 07-26-2010, 06:07 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to pewtertm

I enjoyed just getting out of the city and driving through Rocky Mountain National Park...we spent a few days and really enjoyed the mountain air. Of course then we went home to Houston...looked around...and went blah LOL. I love my hometown, but it's not exactly full of natural scenic beauty in late July LOL.

The Colorado State Capitol Building has free tours...LOL, I always tour those if I'm in a state/province capitol...but now I LIVE in a state capitol and have never been to ours...go figure.

The Georgetown Loop Railroad looks like fun...and not as expensive as most of the train trips we have looked at.
Old 07-26-2010, 07:45 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Awwww ... patt you on the back *** I am sorry Steph. Wish I had some ideas, but I have never been there. Enjoy it. I need a getaway too.
Old 07-26-2010, 08:09 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

So much to do around here - I don't know where to start! Denver and surrounding areas are full of walking, hiking, and biking trails. Here are some ideas of free things that pop into my head.

There are lots of free outdoor concerts and farmers markets.

There are free days at the following around the time it sounds like you will be here:
The Denver Art Museum - August 7; Denver Botanic Gardens at Chatfield - August 6; Denver Museum of Nature & Science - August 8.

The Denver Mint has free tours - you need to make reservations ahead of time - and they may be booked.

Walk around the 16th Street Mall (outdoor).

You can visit Red Rocks Amphitheatre on non-concert days. The views and geograpy are beautiful - it is technically in Morrison which is a cute little town to walk around.

In Boulder, you can visit the Pearl Street Mall (outdoor), go to Chatauqua Park and hike, visit NCAR (National Center for Atmospheric Research) which has great trails too.

Estes Park, has beautiful scenery, the Stanley Hotel (where The Shining was filmed), is a fun small town to walk around, and is the gateway to Rocky Mountain National Park.

You can take a gorgeous scenic drive on the Peak to Peak highway.

Don't hesitate to PM me if you have any specific questions or want some suggestions of things that aren't free.
Old 07-26-2010, 10:04 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Thanks! Just found out my dad has free tickets, so we can fly anywhere SW flies- contemplating Seattle, San Fran, Denver or Reno/Tahoe... Gonna have to post a poll...

Returning from a long scrapping hiatus!