Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2011, 06:10 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm
Default Can you girls recommend a sewing machine?

I want to learn to sew, I did back in 7th grade, LOL!

I did figure out how to crochet, so I'm thinking I can learn to sew. Really just basic stuff to start with, like Keira's girl scout patches, and little projects, but I'd love to learn to quilt the kids old baby clothes into a quilt to keep and maybe halloween costumes down the road.

I compared them at Joann's online and found one on sale for $99 and I'd really like to stay under $100 since I'm just starting out.
Old 04-28-2011, 06:30 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I prefer Kenmore brand over Singer or White brands... Kenmore is found at Sears.
Old 04-28-2011, 06:31 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

thanks Heather.

The one I was looking at was Brother I think.
Old 04-28-2011, 06:35 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nesser1981 View Post
I want to learn to sew, I did back in 7th grade, LOL!

I did figure out how to crochet, so I'm thinking I can learn to sew. Really just basic stuff to start with, like Keira's girl scout patches, and little projects, but I'd love to learn to quilt the kids old baby clothes into a quilt to keep and maybe halloween costumes down the road.

I compared them at Joann's online and found one on sale for $99 and I'd really like to stay under $100 since I'm just starting out.
I have a brother that retails for $100. I round it on Craig's list for $50! Woo-hoo!! It's a great basic machine with lots of quilting features.
Old 04-28-2011, 06:46 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristijoy View Post
I have a brother that retails for $100. I round it on Craig's list for $50! Woo-hoo!! It's a great basic machine with lots of quilting features.
thanks!
Old 04-28-2011, 06:49 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have heard great things about brother machines!! I have a serger that's a Brother and I love it, so I think you'd be good with it!
Old 04-28-2011, 06:57 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I hated my Brother machine, it was a giant piece of crap. I since got a Singer and I'd marry it. But it's more than $100. lol
Old 04-28-2011, 07:04 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have a Brother also - I bought it with Christmas money from the IL's a few years ago and it was about $100. It's a great machine for me as I was just starting out and doing simple projects like curtains, pillows, etc. I would recommend it to someone just learning to sew.
Old 04-28-2011, 07:19 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'll be following this because I need a new machine.

I CAN tell you what machine you should NOT buy... and that's the Shark that Target carries (if they still do carry it). Piece of junk. I just looked up reviews for it to see if anyone else had the same issues... yup, it got bad reviews. lol

-It's pronounced Meeeegan... get it RIGHT!
Old 04-28-2011, 07:51 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Brother is hit or miss so check around for reviews... I did tons of research when I bought mine which is why I spent a bit more on the Kenmore, but I know that things have changed in the past 5 years and there are new models out.
Old 04-28-2011, 07:55 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I just picked up this one - Singer Inspiration 4210 - http://www.amazon.com/Singer-4210-CL...ef=pd_sbs_ac_2

The reviews on Amazon are not great, but it got better reviews on other sites. It is a beginner model machine, and easy to use (I am teaching myself to sew...so I needed something super easy!)
Old 04-28-2011, 07:58 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

oh yeah... I'm going to add... the less bells and whistles the better, less to break or go wrong... you're really only going to use the straight and zig zig stitches.

Personally, I wish I had listened to my friends who said to go to a sewing machine store and get an old metal machine, instead of getting a new one that I don't use all the features of.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:03 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have a couple of machines. A Kenmore that's probably between 15 & 20 years old, I've had it for more than 10 & it was left to me by my aunt. I love it & would still be using it, if I hadn't broken it.

I just, like a month or so ago, got a new Brother "project Runway Limited Edition" I didn't want to spend more than about $150 & found this one at WM on sale for that price. I am a pretty decent seamstress & can quilt. I'm still adjusting to the new 'computerized' sewing thing.

If you're just learning & teaching yourself, the one you're looking at would probably be a good match for beginning.

ETA: this is the one http://www.walmart.com/ip/Brother-50...ndingMethod=rr

Last edited by MandaT; 04-28-2011 at 10:28 PM.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:03 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

This is the one I was looking at on Joann's.

http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog/p...=E2SewMachine#
Old 04-28-2011, 09:46 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I have Janome Harmony. I got mine at Sears but I think this one is pretty similar to what I have: http://www.hancockfabrics.com/Janome...VVviewprod.htm

This one might be too: http://www.allbrands.com/products/ab...ogle&ovtac=CMP

It's a great little machine.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:58 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to mummytothree

I'm a singer girl...through and through!!! But it really is all about personal preference!! I'll tell you the secret though to good sewing...the machine don't matter [much], it's your thread!!! DO NOT buy cheap (WalMart) thread!! Cheap thread will fray and clog up your tension disks and will cause you machine to crap out on you, even the most expensive machine!!!

I tend to buy silk threads for my "good projects" and I buy Egyptian cotton thread for "everyday projects". I'll never ever buy another spool of cheap thread again!!!

This is the cotton thread I usually buy and it's very very reasonable and very high quality!!! Essentials Cotton Thread.

Elizabeth

Blogging for Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 04-28-2011, 10:05 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to mummytothree

Quote:
Originally Posted by heathergw View Post
oh yeah... I'm going to add... the less bells and whistles the better, less to break or go wrong... you're really only going to use the straight and zig zig stitches.

Personally, I wish I had listened to my friends who said to go to a sewing machine store and get an old metal machine, instead of getting a new one that I don't use all the features of.
And I'll just ditto Heather on the bells and whistles...my singer is about 10 years old, it's bare bones (straight and 3 different zig zag stitches) and I make everything on it...from simple pillows to my DD's graduation dress to the silk bridesmaids dress I wore in my sister's wedding!!!

Elizabeth

Blogging for Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 04-28-2011, 10:18 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by heathergw View Post

I was going to replace my old metal machine with the Brother. I decided I should keep both of them. I still have the metal on in the closet and would use it if I needed to sew anything heavy duty (like a canvas tent or something).

But I do use the Brother for basic sewing: curtains, cotton handbags, skirts, napkins etc.. I love the push button for lifting the needle, push button for back tacking and the ability to make an overcast stitch (with an overcast foot) to finish seams on apparal (like my Easter skirt)!!
Old 04-28-2011, 10:22 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Here's the one I have. It's a bit more expensive than I remember ($164), but I did get it used on Craig's list.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Brother-Co...S6000I/4764726
Old 04-28-2011, 11:06 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie4b1g View Post
I hated my Brother machine, it was a giant piece of crap. I since got a Singer and I'd marry it. But it's more than $100. lol
I was about to post the exact.same.thing. lol

Old 04-28-2011, 11:23 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I've had the same Brother sewing machine for about 12 years now and it still does the job. I don't know how much it cost (it was a gift from my parents) but I can tell you it's a basic one, guessing about $50. I just bought a Singer Futura CE-250 (cost me almost $1000) and it didn't work when I took it out of the box! Not impressed... I called Singer and they told me that it wasn't covered under warranty?!?!?!?!?! What?!?! So I'd have to send it away (paying S/H) to get it fixed, pay for the repair, and then pay them to have it shipped back?! That baby went back to the store!!

Creating for Melissa Bennett & Lliella Designs!!

Old 04-29-2011, 12:23 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I think if I was going to spend a ton of money on a machine, I would probably get a Bernina.
Old 04-29-2011, 07:41 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by psalm149 View Post
I was about to post the exact.same.thing. lol
Good, I was getting lonely in here with my Brother hate.
Old 04-29-2011, 10:32 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to newfiemountiewife Send a message via Yahoo to newfiemountiewife

I am enjoying reading this, I would love a machine, but I don't know that I'd use it much, so something cheap would be the thing for me. I want to learn to sew some simple dresses and eventually skating dresses...though that might be a bit ambitious
Old 04-29-2011, 11:40 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nettio View Post
I have Janome Harmony. I got mine at Sears but I think this one is pretty similar to what I have: http://www.hancockfabrics.com/Janome...VVviewprod.htm
I don't sew but I wanted to comment that my girlfriend just bought this machine above on sale yesterday at Hancock for $79.99 and then they allowed her to use the 25% off purchase coupon from Michaels since they see them as a competitor. They accept Joann too but theirs always say excludes sewing machines.