Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-12-2008, 03:35 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to scrappinsweetie
Default do your kids play in their rooms?

ok be honest with me, do your kids actually play in their rooms??? do they really play with their toys? if so, what is your secret?? mine are either whining about being bored or they are outside playing. sometimes they just play in the living room, but i really would like for them to play in their rooms and with their toys! cass is almost 9 and is alot better at doing it than gabe. just irritating! please tell me i am not alone here.
Old 05-12-2008, 03:40 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Well my kids are are still young, but my son (age 3) won't play in his bedroom unless someone is with him. He's a social guy and never wants to be alone. He does play with his toys though. I set my computer up in the rec room and I alternate between playing with him and then encouraging him to play by himself for a bit, but he is always in the same room as me. Even when I go to cook dinner, he brings his cars into the kitchen and plays in the corner of the kitchen or sits at the counter and plays while I make dinner.
Old 05-12-2008, 03:41 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My kids are ages 5, 2 and 18 months. They do spen a lot of time playing in their playroom/room. It wasn't always like this. I used to have a bucket of toys in the living room but it kept growing and growing and i got tired of all their toys in there. So i got rid of that, moved Chloe and Emma into a room together and made Choe's old room the playroom. Now they playin there, but only if its clean. Once it gets cluttered, I have to go in there and pick it up for them to play in there again, lol. I have been trying to get them to pick up their toys when they are done so that it doesn't get so messy. It's a slow process, but they are learning!
Old 05-12-2008, 03:42 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to scrappinsweetie

that is the way gabe used to be. now he is 6 and in kindergarten and just flat doesn't play with his toys much. irritates me to no end. i just wish for once they would come home and quietly play in their rooms after school...rotfl!!!
Old 05-12-2008, 03:43 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to uptowngirl Send a message via Yahoo to uptowngirl

We play there mostly at night before bed... and it is mostly reading... everything is in the living room.

i create for
Old 05-12-2008, 03:48 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

my kids (6, 4) rarely play in their rooms. sometimes they will play in my son's room. Basically they cannot bear to be more than 2 feet away from me (at least that's what it feels like).

I've heard some kids not only play in their rooms but actually keep their toys in them too .
Old 05-12-2008, 03:50 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty Cato View Post
Well my kids are are still young, but my son (age 3) won't play in his bedroom unless someone is with him. He's a social guy and never wants to be alone. He does play with his toys though. I set my computer up in the rec room and I alternate between playing with him and then encouraging him to play by himself for a bit, but he is always in the same room as me. Even when I go to cook dinner, he brings his cars into the kitchen and plays in the corner of the kitchen or sits at the counter and plays while I make dinner.

that is pretty much how it is at my house. although Kathryn and Hannah (3 1/2 and 18 months) have been playing more and more together so sometimes (rarely) they will go play together in a bedroom. Usually they have to see me to be happy.
Old 05-12-2008, 03:50 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My 9 year old get's REALLY ANNOYED with his 5 year old sister, so he now goes into his room to shut her out.

So... try to get your kids annoyed with each other
Old 05-12-2008, 03:51 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valgal View Post
My 9 year old get's REALLY ANNOYED with his 5 year old sister, so he now goes into his room to shut her out.

So... try to get your kids annoyed with each other
hmph. my kids get annoyed with each other all the time. then they annoy me.
Old 05-12-2008, 03:52 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

well, none of them have a room that is just there own at the moment. The oldest likes to hibernate in his and the youngest's room, with either his Lego to build (mostly when completely bored) or read. The two middles will go play in their room (dd has her Barbies in there and ds has his Cars stuff in there too).
Although they are pretty fortunate in our house now, they have a playroom with TV and the majority of the toys (although I did major cleaning when we moved their playroom upstairs from the basement, so not as many toys as before). Their playroom is what would normally be the living room, and I have my desktop set up in the dining room connected to it (I keep my laptop on my desk during the day, so I am up here with them too).

But ... when they each had their own rooms ... the only one that has always been "ok" playing alone was the oldest. The others all wanted to be part of the action always. Thankfully, as they get older, it has gotten better.
Old 05-12-2008, 03:54 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Mine are not allowed to play in their room. Their room only has the bunkbeds and dressers in it. All the toys are in the playroom. So if they are playing in the bedroom then that means they drug all the little legos and hot wheels in there from the playroom and made double the mess.

The new rule is only Leapsters and books are allowed in the bedroom. Or else Mommy is going out to buy those really big trash bags.
Old 05-12-2008, 03:54 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

BF's son NEVER plays in his room. He drags toys out into the living room so he can be around BF/me/the dog. Now that it's summer, he mostly just plays outside 'building' holes in the dirt.

The only time he is in his room is if he's pulling toys out or sleeping.
Old 05-12-2008, 03:57 PM
Brodo gettin her Swerb on

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to ColleenSwerb

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggiefamily View Post
Mine are not allowed to play in their room. Their room only has the bunkbeds and dressers in it. All the toys are in the playroom. So if they are playing in the bedroom then that means they drug all the little legos and hot wheels in there from the playroom and made double the mess.

The new rule is only Leapsters and books are allowed in the bedroom. Or else Mommy is going out to buy those really big trash bags.
Hahahahaha omg that reminds me of my mom. She used to threaten us with the big black garbage bags ALL THE TIME!! Even when we were teenagers (but then she learned to just close the door and pretend the mess didn't exist).
Old 05-12-2008, 04:00 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to mummytothree

Well we don't keep toys in our kids room. We have a play room down stairs for the bigger 2 (10 and 6) and my son's (3.5) toy box and train table are in our living room.

But they do play good by themselves down stairs, yes there is whining but not a lot because I taught my kids early on that it would not be tolerated. If they are whining that they have nothing to play with I quickly rattle off any number of "chores" they can do and they miraculously find tons of stuff to play with. If they are fighting about a certain toy it gets taken away and NOBODY gets it till they can figure out a "schedule" themselves.

My kids are no where perfect when it comes to playing together and entertaining themselves but I can live with the little squabbles that do slip through the cracks!!!

Elizabeth

Blogging for Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 05-12-2008, 04:03 PM

profile gallery send pm

My mom taught preschoolers, and she didn't tolerate whining from THEM. So forget it if one of us started whining, lol. Oh the lecture!
Old 05-12-2008, 04:05 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrodoNY0123 View Post
Hahahahaha omg that reminds me of my mom. She used to threaten us with the big black garbage bags ALL THE TIME!! Even when we were teenagers (but then she learned to just close the door and pretend the mess didn't exist).
apparently I am Col's mom.
Old 05-12-2008, 04:10 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Mine play in there rooms all the time. We keep Jaydens cars in his room & Kyra's dollies etc in hers so they play quitly for a long time, daily. They also have assorted toys in the play room downstairs but they rarely play in there. lol
Old 05-12-2008, 04:11 PM
you're like stars

profile gallery send pm

ce plays mostly in his doorway He plays with all his toys but he doesn't like being all the way in there, I Dunno why
Old 05-12-2008, 04:16 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Tracyfish Send a message via Yahoo to Tracyfish

Our upstairs is actually L.J.'s room and a big playroom with a TV and pool table. So he actually spends A LOT of time up there with his toys and watching movies. He's too young to play with the pool table, but he enjoys crawling on top of it just to make me nervous

He used to be attached to me, but in the past 6 months he really seems to enjoy some time by himself with his toys.

Old 05-12-2008, 04:37 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to juliemarie

Quote:
Originally Posted by meems View Post
I am also... or at least I used to be with my 16 year old - Now I just keep the door shut and ignore.

My 2.5 year old has toys in the living room & her room. She usually spends an equal part of the day in each.

Old 05-12-2008, 05:02 PM

profile gallery send pm

LOL! You 2 are funny
Old 05-12-2008, 05:05 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

D's weird. He'll play in his room all day if it's just him and me at home, but as soon as his father walks in the door (or weekends when Daddy's home)...D's room becomes this evil, dark place that's out to get him. He simply will not go upstairs to play.

Oh, D has a playroom up there too...he just brings all the toys into his bedroom to play.
Old 05-12-2008, 05:10 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Our bedrooms are all upstairs, away from the main floor, so even though they have books and some toys in their rooms, my girls don't really play there. Mainly because I don't trust them to be up there alone. So, our living room is alway a mess with most of their toys.
Old 05-12-2008, 05:11 PM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

Mine will and often go there purposely to do so (they are 3 and 4). But that may stem from the fact they have always had a 'quiet time' in their own rooms after lunch (hey a girl's gotta scrap sometime). Whether they sleep or not, I send them. And now they are 'encouraged' to go up when they can't or won't share with each other. We have no playroom so the living room just seems too small sometimes!
Old 05-12-2008, 05:12 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggiefamily View Post

Ooh, I like the sound of that!
Old 05-12-2008, 05:18 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to BrattyMeg

We don't really keep the toys in the bedrooms...everything is in 1 room (my office, playroom, media room, etc...)

~~Click Here~~
to visit my shoppe
Old 05-12-2008, 05:48 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

of my 3 kids, only my now 3 yr old is good about playing alone and with toys. She makes a huge mess - but I'm just glad she is playing with them.

And for messy teens - my 15 yr old gave me a card for mothers day, it had a picture of a horribly messy room (much like his) and on the inside it said "close the door mom" easier said than done though, sometimes there is too much stuff in the way of the door - LOL

Old 05-12-2008, 06:09 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

My kids don't have toys in their room either...they share a room and have a playroom.

That said...they don't play in their playroom, lol. If it's clean they do, but they mess it up really quickly and I don't clean it up regularly (hoping that they'll figure out to clean it up themselves - though they haven't magically done that yet, lmao). So, they play in the living room or the hallway. But the playroom is IN the living room (the living room is REALLY long and narrow, so we put a couch across and then behind the couch is the "playroom" and in front of the couch is the "living room").

But in a few months, we're building a wall and really separating the playroom from the living room. It may stay as a playroom for a bit, but then since my kids are boy/girl, we're separating them into their own bedrooms, and they'll have toys in their rooms. There will be SOME toys in the living room, though.
Old 05-12-2008, 07:41 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Mine did when they were younger and now they hibernate in there to avoid doing any chores! ROFLMAO
Old 05-12-2008, 08:25 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

My little boys just turned 3 and 1. My 3 year old Caleb plays in his playroom. My 1 year old Jacob is fenced into the loft (the computer/scrapbooking area) with his toys. Caleb is a pain. He has TONS of toys and he does not want to play with them. He is currently on the time-out step for throwing a toy. lol. Rotating out toys does help. I think its time for me to rotate his out.

Old 05-12-2008, 08:37 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

Never in their rooms! I clean their rooms every morning, make the beds, and I like for them to stay neat!

We have a playroom downstairs and a big play area in the loft upstairs too.

Sometimes they will play in the toyroom but they usually drag their toys to wherever I am to play...which is OK with me. Cause I'm gonna miss this...I'm gonna want this back...
Old 05-12-2008, 08:43 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to BrattyMeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsWresh View Post
Never in their rooms! I clean their rooms every morning, make the beds, and I like for them to stay neat!
wow what a nice mom..I make mine do it themselves (even my 4yr old makes her bed!)

~~Click Here~~
to visit my shoppe
Old 05-12-2008, 09:04 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Stacey42 Send a message via Yahoo to Stacey42

My 4 and 5 year play in their room and in the playroom (which is the 3rd bedroom, right next to their room) about half the time. The other half they are in the living room or the kitchen. Assuming they are inside. We keep about half the toys, mostly the larger ones, in the playroom and the others (Thomas trains, Cars and plastic dinosaurs) in the nook in the living room. Only stuffed animals, what few there are, actually stay in the bedroom regularly, though all sort of toys end up in there during the day. The living room has the most space so they are there more often. But Mom can't see what they are doing in the bedrooms, so they are back there fairly often as well.
Old 05-12-2008, 09:34 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to MelissaL88

Quote:
Originally Posted by meems View Post
Col, looks like you have another Mom here

We're just like Amanda...no toys in the room. Only furniture and books. The boys (9 and 7) will drag toys up there, but they are required to move them back downstairs before bed. So lately, they've just been getting out ALL their stuffed animals. I'm not sure what kind of game they're playing...but it keeps them happy!
Old 05-12-2008, 10:31 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Occasionally... Mostly my youngest who plays with her dolls in there.

~~Siggie by Laura (emmasmommy)~~
Old 05-12-2008, 10:38 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I think house size plays a role. My DH grew up in an apartment, as did all his friends, and they all played in their rooms because that's where their toys were and where their space to play was. I grew up in a neighborhood where everyone lived in a house, and we never played in our rooms.

Today we live in a house, and my 2 and 4 year old play all over the main level, but almost never in their rooms. DS1 will sometimes play in his if I'm putting DS2 down for a nap, but that's only so he can be closer to me than if he were down in the playroom.
Old 05-12-2008, 11:09 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My kids just turned 4 and they are just now getting to the point that they will spend some long(er) moments in their room playing with their toys! I'm having a blast watching my son play with his actions figures and making all the sounds that go with them! LOL! And my daughter is actually able to sit and color pictures!!!!!! Before, I wasn't able to get her to sit still for NOTHING!
Old 05-12-2008, 11:33 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

After my kids gave up naps, we still kept a quiet time, where they have to play in their rooms. I think it's good for them to learn to imagine and play independently, and it gives us all a little break!
Old 05-12-2008, 11:59 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Kat Stokes Send a message via Yahoo to Kat Stokes

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsWresh View Post
Cause I'm gonna miss this...I'm gonna want this back...
I keep trying to tell myself that every single time I step on a toy or can't close a door, or walk into a room... I get mad, get over it and clean it up. Again, and again, and again.

I really try to get my ds to keep his stuff picked up but he'd rather clean toilets and counters for me...

Proudly creating for:
Libby Pritchett

Old 05-13-2008, 03:36 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We don't have a very big apartment (1,200 sq feet) so I like to keep the living room as clutter free as possible and that means that all the toys are housed in each of the kids bedrooms. They mostly will play in each others bedrooms, but also travel around to the living room and my bedroom on occasion! lol
Old 05-13-2008, 06:55 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Mimi, I have an idea why don't you just go play in your room with the door shut!

My boys did play in their rooms when they were smaller because thats where the toys were and then the playroom but now all they want to do is play video games which I will not allow everyday so the other games and toys in their rooms and playroom just sit and I get to hear they are bored. It never ends!

Old 05-13-2008, 09:50 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My kids hardly ever play in their room unless theirs company over. Or better yet they trash their rooms and then when they are so messy they can't stand it (and or clean it) They mosy onto other parts of the house leaving a trail of toys. Yep thats basically how it goes here.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:55 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We have a playroom but my daughter (3) hardly ever plays in there. She likes to bring her toys out to the living room and make a mess there instead.

She's pretty good at entertaining herself. She just likes to be in the same room where we normally are (the living room). She never plays in her room because almost all her toys are out in the playroom.
Old 05-13-2008, 10:48 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

my kiddos have their bedrooms and a playroom and they almost always play in it. they also aren't allowed to tell me they are bored otherwise they get in trouble. they already know that there is plenty to do and that they may ask me for suggestions but they are not allowed to whine that they are bored, it's ridiculous! there really isn't any key to keeping your kids playing in their rooms, i would say make sure it is a colorful organized (ie. purge old toys) stimulating room where they can find stuff and use their imaginations. sometimes i think kids have too many toys and they cannot focus on a few to play with and they lose interest that way.

Last edited by lizzyfizzy; 05-13-2008 at 10:51 AM.