Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-2016, 06:39 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm
Default Working From Home

It seems more and more people have the option to work from home than ever before...and I confess that I love being able to work from home several days a week. Today was particularly great, as I got to scrap a LO while on a boring conference call. Anyone else out there like me that works full-time and gets to work from home? (I know the designers do of course, that is more hours a week than I work at a full-time job! )

Old 03-09-2016, 06:40 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I am a lawyer and work from home most days. I love not having to spend as much time getting ready for work most of the time.
Old 03-09-2016, 06:52 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I work 3 days/week, one of those from home and love it! Saves me getting up at 4.30am and commuting several hours a day. I do check the SSD forum, etc way more than I should though!!
Old 03-09-2016, 06:53 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I've been working from home since my daughter was born, so almost 16 years now. I work as the quality assurance manager/supervisor for the medical transcription department in our state's healthcare system. There are times when I go on site for evaluations but it's not that often, maybe once a month. I usually have a crunch of evaluations toward the end of the year where I'll be on the road 4 days a week but it's only for a month or so and then it's over.
Old 03-09-2016, 06:54 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I think it's actually harder to work from home because then my kids are constantly hounding me for things and I feel guilty if I'm working while they're there. I freelance with some graphic and web design for my parents and I got to go to their office to work for a day last month... It was amazing how much I got done! No interruptions, just a good solid day of work!
Old 03-09-2016, 07:23 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMarch View Post
I am a lawyer and work from home most days. I love not having to spend as much time getting ready for work most of the time.
That is great, isn't it?

Old 03-09-2016, 07:23 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jak View Post
I work 3 days/week, one of those from home and love it! Saves me getting up at 4.30am and commuting several hours a day. I do check the SSD forum, etc way more than I should though!!
Yeah, it does take discipline to restrain oneself!

Old 03-09-2016, 07:24 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariewilcox View Post
I've been working from home since my daughter was born, so almost 16 years now. I work as the quality assurance manager/supervisor for the medical transcription department in our state's healthcare system. There are times when I go on site for evaluations but it's not that often, maybe once a month. I usually have a crunch of evaluations toward the end of the year where I'll be on the road 4 days a week but it's only for a month or so and then it's over.
That is so awesome, to be able to work from home that long. What a great job.

Old 03-09-2016, 07:26 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by NellahBean View Post
I think it's actually harder to work from home because then my kids are constantly hounding me for things and I feel guilty if I'm working while they're there. I freelance with some graphic and web design for my parents and I got to go to their office to work for a day last month... It was amazing how much I got done! No interruptions, just a good solid day of work!
I totally get that! I only have fur babies here so that isn't a problem for me. I tend to get more distracted at my office, there are more people to talk to and I get less done. But I know a lot of people who are more productive in the office.

Old 03-09-2016, 07:29 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I've been working at home in my transcription biz for 20 years. I work a few hours a day, do some dog walking (awesome to get paid to walk my dog along with another one) and have my part time photography biz.
Old 03-09-2016, 07:34 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

No working from home for me ... boo hoo ... I'd love it though!!
Old 03-09-2016, 07:48 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I've never worked from home but two days a week I do about 8 hours a day of study. In someways its harder for me to do it at home as there are too many distractions....FB,messenger, forums,email,family,napping etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scrappy Instagram

Creative Team Member for The Lilypad & Studio Liv

Old 03-09-2016, 07:52 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

When I´m home I just want to sleep and scrap... LOL!
But my work is fun and flexible, so every now and then I just call sayung that I´m going to work form home.

Made using Selfie Addict by Digilicious Designs
Old 03-09-2016, 08:09 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Right now I'm working as a preschool teacher, so no working from home for me. Well...not unless you count all the lesson planning and parent emails, which works out to about 8 hours a week from home. But it's something I'm interested in. We're talking about sending my son on the autism spectrum to a private school that specializes in autism, and if we do I'll need to find something that pays more yet still lets me be around when the kids are off school (vacations, sick days, and 10+ snow days a year). I think I'd like it, especially the rest of the year when the kids are in school and it's quiet at home.
Old 03-09-2016, 08:58 PM
Babe Lead

profile gallery send pm

Is the occupation 'mom' considered to be working from home? I don't get paid money though but I do get lots of love and hugs and kisses from hubby and son
Old 03-09-2016, 10:15 PM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

I ran my old business from home for the better part of a decade. Whenever we'd look for a home, the main criteria was a garage large enough to run my business from. I'm now a freelance writer, so all of that is done from home too.
Old 03-09-2016, 10:26 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I am determined to find a full-time remote job by the end of the year. I've got 9 more months to go.
Old 03-09-2016, 11:27 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Nikki Epperson

I'd love to find a job where I could work from home. I find that I get nothing done around here anymore and my house is a wreck!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

Happily Creating For:

Krystal Hartley ♥ Libby Pritchett ♥ Meghan Mullens ♥ Melissa Bennett

Old 03-10-2016, 12:08 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Tronesia

I worked from home for awhile before we moved. I actually didn't like it. Since it was health insurance and I needed to be focused to help my group when they needed me, I took my daughter to daycare for half the day. Her daycare was only a few minutes from the office. I eventually opted to start going back in. Plus, I didn't like bringing work stress to my home. Home is supposed to be my place of peace...lol.

Old 03-10-2016, 11:42 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rach3975 View Post
Right now I'm working as a preschool teacher, so no working from home for me. Well...not unless you count all the lesson planning and parent emails, which works out to about 8 hours a week from home. But it's something I'm interested in. We're talking about sending my son on the autism spectrum to a private school that specializes in autism, and if we do I'll need to find something that pays more yet still lets me be around when the kids are off school (vacations, sick days, and 10+ snow days a year). I think I'd like it, especially the rest of the year when the kids are in school and it's quiet at home.
Teachers do so much work after hours from home that people never know about. It is a tough job! But like you said, having the same holidays as your kids would be nice.

Old 03-10-2016, 11:43 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nietis View Post
Is the occupation 'mom' considered to be working from home? I don't get paid money though but I do get lots of love and hugs and kisses from hubby and son
Totally, I think it is a job in and of itself.

Old 03-10-2016, 11:43 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by angiepangie View Post
I ran my old business from home for the better part of a decade. Whenever we'd look for a home, the main criteria was a garage large enough to run my business from. I'm now a freelance writer, so all of that is done from home too.
Fun criteria for home buying!

Old 03-10-2016, 11:58 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I think I'd love working from home, but if I'm being 100% honest, I'm not sure I'd have the discipline it takes to keep myself from getting distracted. There's too many shiny things out there on the Internet!

My current job is 25 hours per week. I come in around 8:15 am after dropping off my daughter at school and leave at 3 pm to pick her up from school. I'm also off most Fridays, so for me at this stage in my life, the schedule is kind of perfect. I'm sure I'll start looking for a full-time job once my daughter starts driving, but until then, I sacrifice the benefits and paid time off for being able to spend more time with her.
Old 03-10-2016, 12:06 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tronesia View Post
I worked from home for awhile before we moved. I actually didn't like it. Since it was health insurance and I needed to be focused to help my group when they needed me, I took my daughter to daycare for half the day. Her daycare was only a few minutes from the office. I eventually opted to start going back in. Plus, I didn't like bringing work stress to my home. Home is supposed to be my place of peace...lol.
I can see that. I have a second bedroom that I work from and we keep that room closed off, so I come out, shut the door, and for me it is like leaving the office.

Old 03-10-2016, 12:07 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendallt View Post
I think I'd love working from home, but if I'm being 100% honest, I'm not sure I'd have the discipline it takes to keep myself from getting distracted. There's too many shiny things out there on the Internet!

My current job is 25 hours per week. I come in around 8:15 am after dropping off my daughter at school and leave at 3 pm to pick her up from school. I'm also off most Fridays, so for me at this stage in my life, the schedule is kind of perfect. I'm sure I'll start looking for a full-time job once my daughter starts driving, but until then, I sacrifice the benefits and paid time off for being able to spend more time with her.
Totally, it makes perfect sense to me. And yes, there are days I struggle to be productive. When I find that happening I make myself go back into the office unitl I get back on track.

Old 03-10-2016, 12:12 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki Epperson View Post
I'd love to find a job where I could work from home. I find that I get nothing done around here anymore and my house is a wreck!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk
Well, I don't do housework, I am bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeAndra View Post
I am determined to find a full-time remote job by the end of the year. I've got 9 more months to go.
Good luck LeeAndra!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrianaVianey View Post
When I´m home I just want to sleep and scrap... LOL!
But my work is fun and flexible, so every now and then I just call sayung that I´m going to work form home.
I confess I have this issue sometimes too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlekiwi View Post
I've never worked from home but two days a week I do about 8 hours a day of study. In someways its harder for me to do it at home as there are too many distractions....FB,messenger, forums,email,family,napping etc.

Oh yes, I would have to ignore my phone and have nothing open on the PC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcgal00 View Post
I've been working at home in my transcription biz for 20 years. I work a few hours a day, do some dog walking (awesome to get paid to walk my dog along with another one) and have my part time photography biz.
That does sound great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JillW View Post
No working from home for me ... boo hoo ... I'd love it though!!
I work for a state agency, so things always swing back around. Something will happen and we won't be so flexible, so I am determined to enjoy while I can!

Old 03-11-2016, 11:11 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

I totally loved working from home back in the day when I was working from home...

Currently I'm homeschooling my sons but now that they're a little older and more able to self initiate and follow through on their learning and interests I'm trying to develop a new home based business. My sons are keen to help out so that ties beautifully in with our overarching homeschool approach.

Got a number of ideas for what I want to do and just working on the startup plans.

WARNING: This post has probably veen edited multiple times to fix all my stupid typos.
Old 03-12-2016, 10:58 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I wish I could work from home, but its not at all a possibility in my job. Maybe in my second career after I retire in less than 10 years.
Old 03-12-2016, 12:34 PM
The Ghost of Awesome Past

profile gallery send pm

I have worked from home multiple times in my life.

First, I worked for Sage doing production work on their premiere fly fishing rods. That was back in the 1990s.

Then I worked from home doing medical billing part time.

Then I worked as a designer here at the Sweet Shoppe.

And starting this upcoming week, my job will again be at home. I work for a hospital system in health information management. I've worked in the building for the last 10 months and was just given the opportunity to telecommute instead. I do have firm deadlines on my work, so there is no goofing off on facebook and such. But I do have an hour lunch, so you might see me pop in midday from time to time.
Old 03-12-2016, 01:22 PM
Babe Lead

profile gallery send pm
Default Working From Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie Billingsley View Post
And starting this upcoming week, my job will again be at home. I work for a hospital system in health information management. I've worked in the building for the last 10 months and was just given the opportunity to telecommute instead. I do have firm deadlines on my work, so there is no goofing off on facebook and such. But I do have an hour lunch, so you might see me pop in midday from time to time.

And maybe, just maybeeee come back to design? I miss your wonderful designs, Julie!

Last edited by nietis; 03-12-2016 at 01:26 PM.
Old 03-12-2016, 01:56 PM
The Ghost of Awesome Past

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nietis View Post
And maybe, just maybeeee come back to design? I miss your wonderful designs, Julie!

hahaha! You are too sweet! No, I'm going to leave designing to the incredible and talented designers here at SSD. They blow me away week after week. I am hoping to regain some time to start scrapping again though!