Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 12-07-2010, 09:33 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default What do you do on Christmas Day?

For the first time in 20 years, we will actually be home for Christmas Day. We have always gone to my husband's parent's house on Christmas Day. They are completely unyielding in that Christmas Day is at their house -- won't celebrate it the weekend before or after, won't have it anywhere else. It is at their house, on Dec. 25. My kids are now 16, 14 and 10 and they are begging for a Christmas morning at home. I have convinced my husband that we don't have to go to his parents just because they pout and lay on the guilt trip if we don't go. My own parents spend every single Christmas Day alone.

So enough about my irritating in-laws. The point of this is that we will actually be home on Christmas Day. What do you do? We usually spend a huge portion of the day in our vehicle, get out long enough to eat dinner and open gifts (which at this point is envelopes with money in them) and then get back in the vehicle. I don't even know what to do with the whole day at home.

I'm thinking we'll buy the upcoming DVD releases (ATeam, Despicable Me, Shrek) and watch them that day. Football will be on as well.

Food? I'm not set on a traditional holiday dinner, and in fact would like to not spend a lot of time in the kitchen. I'm considering homemade pizza or soup. Other suggestions to make the day special?
Old 12-07-2010, 09:39 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We always stay home and do our own thing Christmas morning, letting the kids dive into presents and then eat a big breakfast (probably french toast & bacon with hot chocolate!)
Then the Aunts, Uncles, and grandparents come over to exchange gifts and have a big dinner later on in the evening.

The entire afternoon & evening are spent picking up wrapping paper and watching the kids enjoy their new toys! I can't wait!!!

Creating for Melissa Bennett & Lliella Designs!!

Old 12-07-2010, 09:41 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

What we do that I just love is get up early with the girls and open presents, my mother and sister usually come for that and then we do a Christmas Brunch. Easy foods but a bit festive, homemade pancakes, quiche/breakfast casserole, yogurt parfaits, fruit cups, bacon and sausage and cranberry loaf or pumpkin bread, something sweet but not too desserty. Then we relax and laze around all day, movies, games, crafts, something Santa brought to play with. We are so busy running here and there for the rest of the Christmas season that we really love our quiet lazy Christmas day. We have turkey everywhere else on Christmas eve and boxing day and then I usually cook a big meal on New Years Day.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:42 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to mummytothree

Good for you Kim!!! I'm the same way!! I love my parents and I know my hubby loves his but they had their "time" when we were little.....we are the parents now and we have our own children to "think about"!!! After the first couple years of our marriage I just got to thinking how unfair it was to have my kids open their presents and then say "Ok get dresses....get in the van...leave all your brand new fun toys.....and sit here and be good for 3 hours while we drive to grandma's"!!! Ridiculous!!

What we do if when the kids start stiring we let them all gather in one bedroom as we go out and survey the scene. Then we let them come out and at first we make the look and see what pile is their's (I wrap all of one kids presents in one paper), when they know what "paper" is theirs we just let them tear into them!!

Then we open stockings and as they are doing that we put together anything that needs it (anything big gets put together the night before) and then there is always chocolate in their stockign and I let them pig out on that a bit.

Then we have breakfast which is usually monkey bread and some type of casserole that I put in the oven before we ever started unwrapping. After breakfast we just lazy around all day playing with new toys.

Lunch/dinner is usally finger foods that have been prepared that day before. Sometimes we go for a drive and look at the snow (if we have any) or at dusk to look at christmas lights.

We just like to be together that day and celebrate our own little family and how blessed we are to have each other!!

Elizabeth

Blogging for Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 12-07-2010, 09:43 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to BrattyMeg

How about going out to a movie? usually some good movies open Christmas day (last year was Alvin and the Chipmunks!)

This year I think Tron and Little Fockers open up..the new Chronicles of Narnia opens this week but could always wait til Christmas to see it

~~Click Here~~
to visit my shoppe
Old 12-07-2010, 09:52 AM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

We always spend a little time on board games - fun family time.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:54 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

we open presents Christmas morning, have a big breakfast and Christmas dinner. We just snack on goodies the rest of the day. We play with our gifts and play games as a family. We usually watch a Christmas movie too. I love Christmas Day at home.

Old 12-07-2010, 10:32 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Yup, add me to the list of home-stayers. I usually have at least one out-of-town sister that stays with us, but my kids have NEVER opened their gifts anywhere else. I try to sneak out to my BFF's for a couple hours in the late afternoon, but other than that it's lounging around and playing with our new stuff.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:33 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlirtatiousBrat View Post
How about going out to a movie? usually some good movies open Christmas day (last year was Alvin and the Chipmunks!)

This year I think Tron and Little Fockers open up..the new Chronicles of Narnia opens this week but could always wait til Christmas to see it
When I hit high-school age we used to do this. I saw the original Home Alone (I'm aging myself here), Little Women and Castaway on Christmas day
Old 12-07-2010, 10:35 AM
Just a Scrapper

profile gallery send pm

We're going to be home, alone, for the first Christmas, ever. I'll only be making a quick trip the nursing home to see my Grandmother, and otherwise, we're here, watching movies together, playing video games, having a Birthday Party for Jesus (birthday cake and some gifts for the food pantry wrapped). We plan on finger foods, leftovers from the Christmas Eve lunch with our family, and I'm looking for ideas, too!
Old 12-07-2010, 10:55 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Breakfast after opening gifts and then Christmas Movie Maraton for Sean and I while the kids play. I didn't want to go anywhere on Christmas day, but last year we went to Inlaws around like 5 in the afternoon and exchanged gifts with them and my SIL & BIL. And that wasn't bad at all. But I basically dictated. We wore Pj's and everyone else had to as well. The way I looked at it was we had kids, so if they wanted the kids there that day, they had to sick to our traditions. Last year was the first year we'd been around family since the kids were born at Christmas time.

And I'm doing snack type foods for Christmas day at our house.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:58 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to newfiemountiewife Send a message via Yahoo to newfiemountiewife

We always stay home at least for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. Last year when we moved only 40 min from Tony's parents, we went out there for Christmas dinner after we opened presents and whatnot. Tony's sister lives close by so we were all together, which the kids loved (she has 3 kids too) I was thinking that's what we'll probably do this year too. But I know his sister doesn't have their kids this year (she's divorcing) so I don't know that for sure.
Old 12-07-2010, 11:04 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I understand the crazy in-laws. I had to put my foot down last year when my mil suggested we stay the night Christmas Eve, so she could watch the kids unwrap their gifts. She lives 45 minutes away! I guess she thinks it's unacceptable that we show up in the early afternoon and that when we visit my parents, they get to see the kids opening their gifts on Christmas Day. My parents live 16 hours away; it's a little hard for them not to be there when we're visiting.

As for what to do Christmas Day, this is what my family did growing up. We got up, did the present thing, made breakfast (brunch really), then we snacked on cheese balls, crackers, summer sausage and a veggie tray with dip. We didn't do a big lunch or anything. Dinner was whatever my mom wanted to cook. Most years, she didn't want to go all out with a crazy feast for the four of us. So, we did steaks, lasagna, or stew; really whatever she felt like. We never went to anyone's house. It was always just the four of us. Some years, we did movies or games, other years we drove around looking at Christmas lights. We just did whatever we felt like. My dad worked a lot of hours growing up and Christmas was one of the only days he got a real day off. So, we took advantage of it!
Old 12-07-2010, 11:08 AM
Brodo gettin her Swerb on

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to ColleenSwerb

Since we don't have kids yet, we still do whatever our parents do. For my side of the family, that means presents in the morning. Then my mom, dad, and sister go to noon mass while my brother and I get ready and get the last of the stuff ready for company. If we're not eating with my grandparents then we spend the day in the living room watching tv/movies/football, eating snacks, and just relaxing. Then either the rest of the family comes to our house for dessert, or we go to my aunt and uncle's.
For Jordan's side of the family, we go to church on Christmas eve, open presents on Christmas morning, and then drive up to Pittsburgh to see the rest of the family. They're switching things up this year and going to central PA to see those grandparents instead.
Normally we try and spend New Year's with whatever side of the family we don't see on Christmas. This year that would be Jordan's side, but since his sister is leaving on the 2nd for a semester abroad in London, we're not actually going to see them at all. I'm looking forward to getting to spend NYE with a bunch of friends, celebrating.

Jordan and I both agree though, that once we start our own family all bets are off. Since we're 3.5 hours away from either side of the family, we don't intend to spend all that time in the car with littles. We'll visit before or after Christmas/New Year's, but Christmas Day is going to be spent at home, making our own traditions. I am REALLY looking forward to that.
Old 12-07-2010, 11:29 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to kscwgirl

We usually go to my mom's for christmas breakfast, open gifts there, hang out there and go to my aunts for dinner. However, my dad has to work this year, so no breakfast, which I'm really sad about. We'll be hanging out at home until it's time to go to my aunts around 4:30 for dinner and then we will have christmas with my parents the day after. I have no idea what we're going to do for breakfast but I need to come up with something.
Old 12-07-2010, 11:30 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We've been alone on Christmas day since both of my in-laws passed away (my mom is the only grandparent still living and she is in Missouri). We wouldn't have it any other way. We do gifts early, then eat breakfast. Then we usually all go "play" with our gifts. We've also gone to movies that day - fun! And of course, football is on which occupies all 5 males in my house. Last year we grilled for dinner, we haven't yet discussed it this year, but we'll do whatever will make the kids happy.

I'm hoping to get an eeader this year so I can read all day.
Old 12-07-2010, 12:03 PM
The Ghost of Awesome Past

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlirtatiousBrat View Post
How about going out to a movie?
Jacob is going back to work at the movie theater for winter break and Christmas day is a mandatory work day for everyone. He is told it is just crazy busy (their busiest day of the year??) at the theater, so think about buying your tickets in advance if you are going to a hot movie!
Old 12-07-2010, 12:12 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

I'm interested in this too!

We always rushed through Christmas morning and left to travel with the house in disarray. Now we stay home, open gifts, and I try to get them to eat something I make, but they never want to -- just want cereal. Yes, my almost-not-teen-anymore sons are difficult! They just want to hybernate in their own rooms and play on their computer and xbox and I want family time. Maybe I need to disconnect the router for one morning!
Old 12-07-2010, 12:20 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to nun69

OMG Kim...this is totally my house!!! so I am looking for ideas this year as well.my kid sare 17,9,4 and 3 and every year since 2003 {they were 10 and 2.5..the other 2 weren't here yet~} we have gotten in our car and driven to Oregon {5-7 hours depending on traffic} and spent EVERY XMAS there with my in laws.My family lives in VA, so it isn't feasible to go there for XMAS.. SO last year I told everyone that if we bought a house this year that we wold be speding XMAS in WA at HOME!!!! The 1st year ever, and now everybody has their panties in a bunch!! I don't get it, isn't this MY FAMILY, and should n't my kids be able to enjoy XMAS at HOME for a change? Plus trying driving in the van with 6 people and then take your clothes for at least 3-4 days and try to get all their Santa presents and then their other presents home! It is NOT a pretty site for any of us....

so we are going to celebrate with them the 2nd weekend in Jan, and nobody is happy about it...we invited them to come to our house, but nobody wants to drive...go figure.....sorry for the rant, but I am very pissy about this is..so I am looking for idas as well..
Old 12-07-2010, 12:26 PM
Brodo gettin her Swerb on

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to ColleenSwerb

I gotta say, I am super glad that both my family and my in-laws seem to be super laid back about this sort of stuff. I just can't fathom either side getting their panties in a bunch over what *WE* want to do with *OUR* kids. They had their time for traditions and getting their way when we were kids. Now it's *our* time. Get the heck over it. If anyone wants to come to our house for our babies first Christmas, they can get a hotel room. Our house isn't big enough to hold EVERYONE, and I'm not gonna play favorites.

It's not going to ruin anyone's Christmas unless they let it. Which is NOT your fault!
Old 12-07-2010, 01:22 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Angie - the first year is always the hardest for a big change like that. Once you get through this year, and if you decide to tell them this is the new tradition, then they'll have to deal with it from now on.

When we only had 2 kids, we travelled to Missouri every other year - what a PAIN that was taking all of the gifts with us! I had to ship them first since we couldn't carry them all on the plane. I do still miss MY Christmases at my parents' house (my sisters still go over there every year), but that was MY deal, not my kids. They deserve their own Christmas in their own house. I had it, my husband had it, now they have it.
Old 12-07-2010, 01:27 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to nun69

thanks Mary..I hope it will get better after this year...the worst part is both of my brother in laws and their families live 20 mins from Matt's parents...so they get to spend XMAS at HOME and then with grandparents...saddest part is, I think my DH is more upset about missing XMAS at his moms then the kids are...funny thing is my MIL said "I know the day will come where everyone won't come here for XMAS and we will just have to go visit"....well, I think this is the year....so I think we are going to invite Matt's real mom {his dad has been remarried for almost 30 years}, since she lives by herself, to come spend XMAS with us and be there XMAS morning when the kids open their gifts on XMAS morning
Old 12-07-2010, 02:12 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Ever since DS was born, we made it known that Christmas would be spent at home just us. We wanted to start a tradition of our own and spend it as a family. It's just more relaxing that way and more enjoyable. We usually have pancakes, bacon and eggs for breakfast. Whatever we throw together for lunch and then I make ham and potatoes for supper.
We open presents in the morning and then just do whatever the kids want to do. Play with toys, play games. When DS got older we did go to the movies if there was a kid friendly movie out, but since DD is too young, we can't do that yet. We do drive around at dark and look at Christmas lights. But really it's just a whatever type of day. We love it!

Fan of ALL SSD Designers
Proud to create for:

Old 12-07-2010, 03:21 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We're always home for Christmas, simply due to family 'issues'.

This year for the first time since Alex was born, my mum is going to be with us (dad is setled in a home now...), and my brother too. So this for us is going to be a big family Christmas! In the UK, we tend to over do the food on Christmas Day - we'll eat the main meal about 1.30/ 2 and then watch the Queen's speech followed by the Christmas movie as usual - and I guess Alex will play with everything he just opened too! Grazing will follow if anyone is remotely hungry. I've bought a Disney Wii quiz game to play as well.

Christmas Breakfast is usually home baked croissants or bread, with jam & fruit for us, something simple & filling to start the day so I can focus on the main meal, and of course the pudding - my absolute favourite part of the meal (with rum sauce!). Mmmmm.

Over here, we have Boxing Day on the 26th, which food-wise, tends to be cold cuts, left overs or some sort of buffet. I have a mini tradition with Alex that he & I go to the Panto on Boxing Day afternoon - and this year his Gandma will be joining us. Lovely.
Old 12-07-2010, 03:39 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Stacey42 Send a message via Yahoo to Stacey42

We made sure the grand kids first Christmas was spend with the grandparents, which are only my parents, DH's having passed away before we had kids. They are 1000 miles away. One year they came to us & the next time we went to them. From then on, except once, Xmas is at our house & people are welcome to join us. Probably in another year or so we will spend it at my parents again as part of Disney for Xmas thing.

We open gifts first thing (after Mommy has her coffee, Mommy has to have her coffee) then we have a late breakfast. After that we usually watch a new movie and play a new game (the kids get movies & board games nearly every year) Then there is football watching & book reading, then dinner. I make a rib roast & buy premade sides. Sometimes we go visit friends but they are usually operating under tight logisitics & don't have the spare time until the 26th.
Old 12-07-2010, 06:21 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nun69 View Post
thanks Mary..I hope it will get better after this year...the worst part is both of my brother in laws and their families live 20 mins from Matt's parents...so they get to spend XMAS at HOME and then with grandparents...saddest part is, I think my DH is more upset about missing XMAS at his moms then the kids are...funny thing is my MIL said "I know the day will come where everyone won't come here for XMAS and we will just have to go visit"....well, I think this is the year....so I think we are going to invite Matt's real mom {his dad has been remarried for almost 30 years}, since she lives by herself, to come spend XMAS with us and be there XMAS morning when the kids open their gifts on XMAS morning
Angie - yes, it's much harder on ME not being there, than it is for the kids, so I totally know what your DH is feeling. Like I said, my sisters still live in the same town as my mom so they and their families go over there as soon as they are done opening gifts at their own houses and then they have a big gift opening. I call there sometime during the day and it's all I can do to get through that phone call - all those feelings of being there come flooding back and I'm sad I'm not a part of it. But as I've learned, I can't be 2 places at the same time and I choose for us to be at home on our own. You'll have to let us know how your first Christmas in your new house goes!
Old 12-07-2010, 09:28 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Thanks for all the ideas. We may do a movie, but I'm really thinking we'll end up spending the day in our PJs.

I should add... when I was growing up, my mom was a nurse and my dad was chief of police, so the odds of one of them working on Christmas were high. If they didn't have to work, we piled in the car and drove 6 hours to meet my aunt/uncle/cousins, who had also driven 6 hours. We stayed in hotels and swam and ate convenience store food and I thought it was the best Christmas ever. So spending a Christmas at home is really strange for us.