Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-2010, 06:11 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm
Default iMac question

My hubby and I are looking to get an iMac, and we're trying to decide which graphics card to get. I want something that will work good (and fast) with Photoshop. So, Mac girls, do you guys have any suggestions on which to get? Here's a link - we're trying to decide between the cheaper two. Thanks for your help!
Old 04-17-2010, 06:25 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have the 27", but it has the same graphics card. I didn't upgrade the graphics card and it is SOOOOO fast. It is plenty sufficient! PS runs beautifully!

-It's pronounced Meeeegan... get it RIGHT!
Old 04-17-2010, 07:18 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Between those two, I would go for the $1499 one because for only $300 more, you get twice the hard drive space and a video card with dedicated memory which comes in handy with Photoshop.

Macworld has a review of the two here. They seem to recommend the $1499 over the $1199 one as well and the one with the ATI card was the winner in their Photoshop speed test.

I don't think you'll really go wrong with either but in general I think it's better to pay a little more upfront to get the best you can afford, than to regret it later especially if it's something that's not easily upgradable.
Old 04-17-2010, 07:39 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nettio View Post
Between those two, I would go for the $1499 one because for only $300 more, you get twice the hard drive space and a video card with dedicated memory which comes in handy with Photoshop.

Macworld has a review of the two here. They seem to recommend the $1499 over the $1199 one as well and the one with the ATI card was the winner in their Photoshop speed test.

I don't think you'll really go wrong with either but in general I think it's better to pay a little more upfront to get the best you can afford, than to regret it later especially if it's something that's not easily upgradable.
Ooops! Didn't realize that those 2 you were looking at had different cards. My iMac has the same card as the $1499 21.5" iMac.

-It's pronounced Meeeegan... get it RIGHT!
Old 04-17-2010, 07:46 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

To be honest, I didn't even look at the video card differences. I was just stoked to be getting a Mac! But, I checked and mine has the same as the $1499 one that you're looking at!