Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2023, 01:54 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm
Default Imperfect

One of the things that intrigued me the most when I started digitally scrapping, is the ability to delete something that just doesn't work - or to use the 'un-do' option and try, try again until things are "just right" on my layout.

I have found that when I do other types of crafts, especially creating hand made cards, that I struggle if something doesn't end up looking exactly as I'd pictured it, or if something isn't close enough to "perfect" in my mind.

I wonder if I struggle because I'm so used to being able to use as many "do overs" as possible just isn't an option in the paper-crafting world.

Anyone else feel this way?
Old 09-26-2023, 02:00 PM
Owner & Candy Keeper

profile gallery send pm

I am like this... period. I can't doodle because it isn't "perfect" in my eyes, but I so so so admire people who can just doodle and make whimsical things like Amanda, Alice, Brook, etc. When I look at their little drawings they are perfectly imperfect and I seriously ADORE their doodly whimsical style, but when *I* am trying to draw like that, I pick out all the little imperfections and I'm not happy with it at all. It's a very strange phenomena.... I think I want to be a straight edge paper trimmer in a world of scissors if you know what I mean.
Old 09-26-2023, 02:04 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

oh my gosh! I relate!! especially to what robin said with the doodles! I LOVE the illustrated imperfect look - especially like the storybook type illustrations that brook does that look like they have whimsical magic to them but I feel like everything i do is like.. prim and proper. drives me crazy! I also struggle with any types of crafts because I don't know how to just get messy and free. The only type of craft i ever do (and it's not even a craft) is jigsaw puzzles and in the end that's all about perfecting something.. don't get me started if there is a missing piece.

What's funny though is I am not "type a" at all and nothing in my life is perfect, i'm not organized or anything like that what-so-ever. and i'm very messy (much to my dismay)
Old 09-26-2023, 03:24 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Yes I can really relate to this as well! I sometimes am genuinely looking for the Ctrl z button when doing "real life" things

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Old 09-26-2023, 03:30 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I struggle if something isn't symmetrical or proportioned the way I think it should be. I am all about symmetry! I do other crafts and if I make a mistake, such as in crocheting, I have to do it over. I went through a period of doodling and made different types of retro campers. We then bought one! I made these campers with my iPad and a stylus.

Last edited by EvelynD2; 09-27-2023 at 08:51 AM.
Old 09-26-2023, 08:02 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

I have spent my entire life without being able to craft at All. I am the poster child for pintrest fails. It wasn't until I discovered Digi scrapping that I realized I AM creative - I just needed the right medium. The undo/redo and reuse option is a biggie.

I still have a hard time visualizing independently. When I buy a kit I have to look at the CT work before I can use it and must reference it often to see how they used this flower and such.

I am envious of yall because if I haven't seen it I can't visualize it. That makes it difficult to make anything and it never turns out like I hope.

I have a scrapbook / journal that I will write pages and add my digital work as well. I have always been a writer and I will throw an entire 3 page entry away if I think my handwriting turns ugly, or will start a letter and use ten pages getting one sentence out.

Last edited by AshleyMilfd; 09-26-2023 at 08:17 PM.
Old 09-26-2023, 08:08 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

oh I do love me Ctrl Z and wish it existed IRL for some of the things I/we do. even though I do believe, strongly, that perfect doesn't exist, sometimes it would be nice if it did, lol
Old 09-26-2023, 11:33 PM
Babe Lead

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoCee View Post
oh I do love me Ctrl Z and wish it existed IRL for some of the things I/we do. even though I do believe, strongly, that perfect doesn't exist, sometimes it would be nice if it did, lol
I am with Jo.
Old 09-27-2023, 10:04 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I am totally 100% an organized, wants perfection kind of person - except when it comes to scrapping. If there's paint in a kit, I want to use it to mess things up. I don't get it lol But I love the ability to Ctrl-Z in this hobby, and to try out a million background papers to see which is the best without having to commit to it, and can even change it at the very end (happens often for me!)

Old 09-27-2023, 12:52 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I can totally relate! I come from a long line of perfectionists! I'm trying to change my mindset to try new things knowing that I won't be good at them when I start, but if it's something I enjoy and keep at it, I will get better.
Old 09-27-2023, 01:57 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

You know, I actually LOVE the imperfections that some designers include in their kits (like flowers with folded petals, wrinkled papers, buttons on flowers that aren't perfectly centered, word arts that are slightly off kilter, etc) and templates that are a bit more "loose and free" because it actually looks more real. Some of the perfection of digi scrapping just isn't authentic enough for me. I remember the first time I made paper shapes in my templates with the polygonal selection tool and pen tool instead of the square/circle selection tools. It was SO cool looking having the lines not be perfectly aligned and the circles be slightly off. The finished effect was the closest to realism I'd ever achieved with my scrapbook pages and so I kind of went with that. To this day, I prefer the hand-crafted, maybe a little messy, approach.

Old 09-28-2023, 01:57 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoCee View Post

hahah- YES! especially when I start a big project and I'm surrounded in a mess... I'm like, what did I do? ctrl z... ctrl z... haha

I don't know about other crafts being perfect... Even in my scrapping I don't strive for perfection - I strive to get the memories down and it wasn't until the last year or so that I've started to use "align" buttons to make sure my alphas are in line.. haha. I guess I like the little imperfectness... adds a little bit more realism.