Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2018, 02:59 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm
Default Qotd: Let's talk creative hobbies. (01/11)

Besides scrapping, do you have other creative hobbies?
If yes, what do you love about them?

Old 01-11-2018, 12:50 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I love to bake, my thing right now is royal icing cookies. I can be as creative as i want or be simple.
Old 01-11-2018, 12:55 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I also like decorating, photography, and making signs / tees with my silhouette craft cutter.

Plus, any random kids crafts that my daughter and I do together.
Old 01-11-2018, 01:36 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I paint rocks. I use to paint a lot a few years ago, but stopped when my kids wanted to paint along side me and created epic messes that I had to clean up, haha! About 8 months ago we caught onto the rock trend and I guess the years have matured my kids because they don't make as bad of messes and they clean up after themselves too.

Old 01-11-2018, 01:46 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

For a little while I had been doing pottery and i loved it SOOO much! I need to make the time for that again. The only thing I really didn't love about it was the clean up because oh my goodness it's messy and getting the wheel all clean is a chore!

I really want to learn more hands on art this year but again the mess of all of it drives me crazy
Old 01-11-2018, 01:55 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I literally have no talent, outside of scrapbooking. I'm not crafty at all, and I hate to cook, although I do occasionally enjoy baking.

Probably the closest thing I have to a creative hobby outside of scrapping is doing my nails. I'm obsessed with nail polish and own a ridiculous amount of it. I don't do nail art or anything fancy, but I love painting my nails and am pretty darn good at it. I'd never pay for a manicure because I can do just as good a job myself at home.
Old 01-11-2018, 03:28 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I make beaded jewelry and sell Origami Owl on the side (not active on that part). Currently I have way too many things made and am struggling with selling them on the local FB groups, (too many people want to offer $1 for my products) so my beading has stopped until I can move the current products. I don't use the cheap, plastic beads, but the nice Swarovski Crystals.

My favorite thing to make (and edit) are mother's bracelets or necklaces. My best customer I've done his wife's grandmother bracelet about 7 times before turning it to a necklace for her. After her 20th grandchild, I introduced her to my Origami Owl website and helped her create a grandmother's locket. Each grandbaby she gets, she orders a new charm to add to her locket. It's been awesome to see her family grow by leaps and bounds over the past 10 years! I do make custom orders for mother's bracelets/necklaces and generally have a 48-hour turnaround once an order comes through. But this is just done by word of mouth.

I've been doing this since 2005. I love being able to tell stories my jewelry!

Last edited by Neverland Scraps; 01-11-2018 at 03:31 PM.
Old 01-11-2018, 03:30 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendallt View Post
I literally have no talent, outside of scrapbooking. I'm not crafty at all, and I hate to cook, although I do occasionally enjoy baking.

Probably the closest thing I have to a creative hobby outside of scrapping is doing my nails. I'm obsessed with nail polish and own a ridiculous amount of it. I don't do nail art or anything fancy, but I love painting my nails and am pretty darn good at it. I'd never pay for a manicure because I can do just as good a job myself at home.
Are you familiar with Jamberry? Have you ever tried it? I'm not a consultant with Jamberry any longer, but I'd be willing to send you a half-sheet to give it a try because it's just that amazing!!

I just did my daughter's nails right before school with a checkerboard pattern (apparently, it's a hot trend right now!) and I know her wraps will stay on her nails for 7-14 days! She loves that her nails are stylish and don't chip paint a day or two later!
Old 01-11-2018, 04:03 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I used to knit and loved it, but haven't done it in years. I also did calligraphy, but that's another thing I haven't touched in ages. I plan to get back into lettering this year, though.
Old 01-11-2018, 07:46 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I crochet, I usually like to cook and bake.
Old 01-11-2018, 08:37 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I'm horrible at it - but I bible journal. haha My skills are creating art with a computer - use paint, stamps, etc and I'm all thumbs. Once in awhile I'll pick up crochet - but I haven't done it for a long time.
Old 01-11-2018, 08:47 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I quilt. I love creating my own patterns and piecing them together. I don't like the actual quilting part as well so I have a lot of tops that still need to be finished. LOL
Old 01-11-2018, 09:08 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I love crafts and photography.
Old 01-12-2018, 02:07 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I crochet, I have a granny blanket and my c2c is a work in progress. I also cook and bake for my family
Old 01-12-2018, 02:35 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Photography - especially of landscapes, nature and wildlife. I haven't done much for years though (since kids came along). I also like cooking/baking.
Old 01-12-2018, 11:31 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Scrapping is the only thing I do regularly right now. I crochet and sew occasionally. I've had lots of other hobbies over the years, but I haven't revisited them recently. I want to do things like re-finish furniture and home dec, but the reality is that I like the idea of transforming older items more than the process. I'll undertake a small project from time to time, and it's always enough to remind me why I don't do more!
Old 01-13-2018, 06:13 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Photography, reading, knitting and planners.
Old 01-13-2018, 01:34 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I am a quilter. I love working with colors and intricately pieced paper piecing patterns.

I also crochet which is my crafting phase at the moment lol I share a lot on Instagram.

and I also cross stitch but I do that less frequently. I tend to pick up a project and though do it a lot and then stop and move on to another craft
Old 01-13-2018, 11:52 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Digital scrapping has really been my only creative hobby for the last 15 years.

I do cook almost every night & I suppose that it is creative in some ways but I'm not someone who makes fancy food or organic food or anything 'chef-y.'

I read & write but usually just have the time for scrappingelated reading or writing (journaling).

When we have our own house, I will enjoy doing some interior design-type things.

I'm just not good with using my hands to actually create things. I need tools & a solid plan; I can't just 'wing' it.
Old 01-13-2018, 11:57 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Outside of photography, I guess just may day job?! lol I expend a lot of energy on that, so there isn't much left over between that and parenting.
Old 01-14-2018, 10:00 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I love just about every type of creative outlet. I just get bored with most of them really easily!

I have stuck with photography and scrapbooking. I have done all sorts of stuff and have the left over supplies to prove it.

I really enjoy interior design, but I am not confident enough to do anyone's space but mine. I re-did my classroom at school and I have had so many people say they should hire me to do their homes, but I wouldn't even begin to try.

There have only been a few things I've found that I don't like at all. One is stamping. I loved the idea of it, the look of stamped projects, etc. I loved all the colorful ink pads and cute stamps. I started selling stamps for The Angel Company. I got a ton of stamps. I then realized I HATE stamping. HATE IT. I can't bear to part with the stamps because of how much money I have in them, but I don't ever use them and never will. Eventually, I'll just suck it up and give them away. I gave away all of my paper scrapbooking supplies. I loaded it all up in one fell swoop and gave it to a friend who paper scraps. She was beyond thrilled with everything and I gained a whole closet full of space.

The other thing I hate is cooking and baking. Again, strong detesting of these activities. I would be happy to do neither ever again in my life. I am not too fond of food. It is fuel and I have to eat and I have to feed my family, but I don't enjoy the planning, shopping, prepping, preparing, or cleaning up afterward. I don't really even enjoy the eating part. I enjoy eating when someone else cooks, but when I cook I lose all joy in eating. I will often skip the home cooked meal that my family is raving about to eat a slice of cheese and some crackers because I am completely turned off by the site of the food after having spent all that time messing with it.