Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 09-15-2018, 08:17 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default Need to start laptop shopping. Advice please!

So my laptop is on it's last leg. I'm able to limp it along for a bit here, but it's old and I don't intend to invest much to have it repaired. Backing up all my photos as I type.

So, I've never had to buy my own computer before. That's something my ex always took care of. I don't even know what I need and I'm afraid a sales person could take me for a ride if I walk in somewhere blindly.

Beyond basic internet and MS Office use, I'll need something that can handle Photoshop well (duh) and I play video games a wee bit.

Advice? Input?
Old 09-16-2018, 11:57 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

<tapping mic> is this thing on? lol!
Old 09-16-2018, 01:56 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Pc or Mac?

I switched to a mac a few years back and would never go back. I used to have an macbook, then switched to the macbook air as it was lighter and more portable. When I spilled coke on it and got the insurance money, I upgraded to a macbook pro. It's getting on in years now, and could use a trip to the doctor to fix a few issues, but it's been strong and powerful for the time I've had it.

If you're after a pc, I can't help. Other than recommend that you switch to Mac
Old 09-16-2018, 06:34 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Get the system with the best specs you can afford. You get more for your money with a PC than a Mac, but if you get a cheap PC it will be a piece of junk. High end PCs are every bit as good as Macs.

a good laptop will probably run you $700-$1000. Less expensive laptops usually have lower quality displays and they tend to be bigger/heavier than the higher end models. Really I think you just need to go compare what 's out there, look at the specs, and start price shopping.

beckie_scraps on IG!
Old 09-16-2018, 06:39 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

In full disclosure, i do work for Dell. For the last 20 years every computer I've bought has been a Dell refurbished system. they're cheaper than buying new and come with the same warranty. The listing well tell you if it's a scratch and dent (the casing might be marked), otherwise even the exterior would be perfect. we buy the absolute highest end specs within our budget.

The XPS line is what we buy. I currently have an XPS desktop, but my previous work computer was an XPS 13. super thin and light. I'm sure the other PC makers have similar products.

I know people usually have a lot of negative to say about PCs, but truly - a high end PC is just as good as a Mac. The problem is that PC manufacturers make cheap/inexpensive products that definitely are NOT as good.

beckie_scraps on IG!
Old 09-16-2018, 08:45 PM
Babe Lead

profile gallery send pm

I am not using laptop at the moment, but, sometimes, I do have my eyes on Macbook Pro. They are pretty pricey tho... however having the iMac for 6-7 years with so little problems, I'd say the price is pretty worth it.
Old 09-17-2018, 12:11 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by g8rbeckie View Post
In full disclosure, i do work for Dell. For the last 20 years every computer I've bought has been a Dell refurbished system. they're cheaper than buying new and come with the same warranty. The listing well tell you if it's a scratch and dent (the casing might be marked), otherwise even the exterior would be perfect. we buy the absolute highest end specs within our budget.

The XPS line is what we buy. I currently have an XPS desktop, but my previous work computer was an XPS 13. super thin and light. I'm sure the other PC makers have similar products.

I know people usually have a lot of negative to say about PCs, but truly - a high end PC is just as good as a Mac. The problem is that PC manufacturers make cheap/inexpensive products that definitely are NOT as good.
Ok, so I did some basic research to figure out what was reasonable, not just what was the BEST. I think I did ok. I got a Dell Inspirion and though I now know I want something way better in the future, it will get me through for now.

I will definitely keep the refurbished ones in mind!
Old 09-17-2018, 02:05 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Gaming laptops are great for photoshop (& gaming obvs). My Lenovo has been a dream for over 4 years and it’s a gaming computer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-17-2018, 02:21 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by britaneejean View Post
Gaming laptops are great for photoshop (& gaming obvs). My Lenovo has been a dream for over 4 years and it’s a gaming computer.

yes! my son has a gaming system and it's bada$$. He runs the HTC Vive VR gaming at the same time he is playing minecraft and/or watching videos and even screen recording. The graphics processing units in those things are top notch!

beckie_scraps on IG!
Old 09-17-2018, 02:23 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by g8rbeckie View Post
The graphics processing units in those things are top notch!

Seriously SOOOO GOOD!!

Old 09-17-2018, 02:23 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valgal View Post
Ok, so I did some basic research to figure out what was reasonable, not just what was the BEST. I think I did ok. I got a Dell Inspirion and though I now know I want something way better in the future, it will get me through for now.

I will definitely keep the refurbished ones in mind!
I hope you love it!

beckie_scraps on IG!
Old 09-17-2018, 08:43 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by britaneejean View Post

Good to know! I was peeking at them at the store but way out of my budget range at this time.