Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2009, 12:03 AM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm
Default Photoshop Elements 6 resizing

I would appreciate any help with resizing a lo in Photoshop Elements 6. Everytime I resize a lo to be less than 150kb, it seems to turn out so small and is hard to read. I have been creating my lo's as tiff files and then resizing them as jpgs to post here at SSD. I am sure that I must be doing something wrong since they never look good when posted in the gallery. The last lo I did I had to resize down to 260 x 260 pixels with 300 resolution but the lo was quite small when it was resized. Is there a set number that the lo's should be resized to in order to post clearly and with good resolution here at SSD. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-10-2009, 12:13 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I use the "Save for Web" option on the File Menu. I usually choose 500 x 500 pixels and 60 quality. That usually keeps the file around 100K. Hope that helps!

Old 09-10-2009, 12:28 AM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

This is my system for saving files for print/gallery upload:

1. Flatten the LO (right click on a layer and it's the bottom option) and save it as a high quality jpg (for printing).
2. Then I resize it to 72dpi at 600x600pixels and save for the web (just under the save as option in the file menu). The " save for web" will bring up a split screen showing your original layout on the left and the saved for web version on the right. On the right of the screen there are options for saving. Adjust the quality settings until the image size is under 150dpi (shown in the bottom left hand corner of each window).
3. After all my files are saved, I undo the resize and the flattening and save the original psd file before closing.

So in the end I have 3 files; full PSD file, 300dpi jpg and a 72dpi jpg. Once I have the 300 dpi file printed I delete the PSD. I keep the 300 dpi in case I ever need to reprint a page and I keep the 72dpi in a folder called "jpgs for websites" so that they're always available for upload.

Hope that makes sense... and helps!
Old 09-10-2009, 12:53 AM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

Thanks so much for all your suggestions. I will definitely try these suggestions when I resize my next lo. THANKS!
Old 09-10-2009, 01:12 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

one thing I would mention would be to duplicate your .psd file, then experiment with the different methods above... then you always have your original .psd file, unchanged.

in my swiss cheese of a brain, i would likely forget to save the original .psd and lose it completely.

for the supremely lazy like me, there are actions available here and here ... and likely many many more out there ...

Old 09-10-2009, 06:59 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to mummytothree

I do what most of the other girls do....flatten....resize to 600 ppi (but I leave my dpi @ 300) and then I add an extra step.....I do an unsharp mask with the setting of 10, 30 & 0. Then I do Save for web!!!

Elizabeth

Blogging for Kristin Cronin-Barrow