Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2010, 01:15 PM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm
Default NSBR Breastfeeding Debate...

So I was surfing the web (which I often do instead of my job-LOL) and found this article on a "Nurse-In" rally at McDonald's. http://www.kpho.com/news/24727460/de...tml?source=pho

So my questions are this:
1. Do you or would you breastfeed in public?
2. If so, have you or would you cover yourself or leave it all hanging out?
3. Do you feel that a business or any other establishment has the right to ask a woman to leave based on breastfeeding her child?

Personally I don't feel a business or any other public place should ask a mother to leave the premises just for nursing her infant. However, I do think that it is good common courtesy to use a blanket to cover yourself to prevent anything from "falling out". I also love these companies that offer Mother's Rooms or Nursing Rooms; my job has one with a built in pump mechanism and comfy chair; so all you need to bring are the attachments for the pump. I personally did not do this b/c my daughter just did not take to breastfeeding so I haven't had the experience.

What are you thoughts?

Old 08-23-2010, 01:23 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

If I ever get to have a baby, I do want to breastfeed. I have NO problem w/breastfeeding in public as long as you are covered up! I don't want to see everything you've got. But, I don't think you should have to sit in the car or lock yourself in the bathroom either. It can be done modestly! And, to answer 3, no! They don't ask you to leave for feeding your other children, so I don't think they should ask you to leave for nursing your baby!
Old 08-23-2010, 01:24 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I couldn't breastfeed, but if I could I would want to whenever my baby was hungry. I am a very private person, so I would definately cover up. But I think mothers should be able to breastfeed in public.

Old 08-23-2010, 01:24 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I did with my daughter, not with my son because he didn't like to be covered up and i wasn't comfortable with having anything showing.

For me personally I would only do it while covered up. I don't have a problem with a mom breastfeeding how she wants to though. After I had lucas it opened my eyes to many things I didn't experience with lily and so I realize that some moms don't have a choice - some babies just don't want a blanket over their head. haha

3. Do you feel that a business or any other establishment has the right to ask a woman to leave based on breastfeeding her child?

No. Especially a restaurant. LOL. Also, I think its the most disgusting thing ever when I hear people say that a mom should go into a bathroom to nurse her child. I love that more and more places are starting to accomodate women who nurse though by providing mothers rooms
Old 08-23-2010, 01:29 PM
Just a Scrapper

profile gallery send pm

1. Yes - breastfed 2 years for our oldest, wherever we needed to be.
2. Covered. Just for the sake of modesty.
3. Yes, they have the right. I know that will be controversial, but a business has the right to ask anyone to leave, it's their business. Is it GOOD business? Not in a million years. But they have that right as it is their property and their business. As long as it isn't breaking the law to do so. We also have the right to protest that decision
Old 08-23-2010, 01:35 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Yes, I have.

I always had a blanket over my chest and baby's head if I was nursing in public. I was always very modest in my home, as well, if we had company over. But then sometimes I would just pull my shirt up so baby could get in position, then pull shirt down to baby's cheek. Baby's body hid my belly, so really it was very modest without having to use a blanket or "hooter hider".

Do they have the right to? - I guess so. Should they? - absolutely not! Nobody objects to seeing a baby in that type of establishment fed from a bottle.

My Blog -- Three 4 Me

Proudly creating for Zoe Pearn
Old 08-23-2010, 01:38 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

1. Do you or would you breastfeed in public? yes I did and I would if I had a baby still

2. If so, have you or would you cover yourself or leave it all hanging out? well the baby covered most of it when I few him but I always kept a receiving blanket over my shoulder to make it a little more discreet but if a woman did not feel the need to cover it would not bother me.

3. Do you feel that a business or any other establishment has the right to ask a woman to leave based on breastfeeding her child? no I dont...why should they? would they ask a woman who was bottle-feeding to leave? The breast holds the same thing the bottle does so therefore should be looked at the same way. Get over themselves and look away if makes you uncomfortable is my thought on the subject

Dreaming of creating for Cindy Schneider, Studio Flergs & Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 08-23-2010, 01:38 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to newfiemountiewife Send a message via Yahoo to newfiemountiewife

Quote:
Originally Posted by kresta View Post
Yes, I have.

I always had a blanket over my chest and baby's head if I was nursing in public. I was always very modest in my home, as well, if we had company over. But then sometimes I would just pull my shirt up so baby could get in position, then pull shirt down to baby's cheek. Baby's body hid my belly, so really it was very modest without having to use a blanket or "hooter hider".

Do they have the right to? - I guess so. Should they? - absolutely not! Nobody objects to seeing a baby in that type of establishment fed from a bottle.
Everything she said!
Old 08-23-2010, 01:39 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Well, first of all it's illegal in most states to ask a person to leave a public place because of breastfeeding... I've always wanted someone to approach me at a restaurant because I've always wanted to respond with "why don't you go take your lunch/dinner into the bathroom to eat"... not in a snotty way but so that they realize how disgusting their request is. It's never happened but I think breastfeeding in public is pretty common around here.

I had major latch issues with Riah so it was just really hard for me to nurse in public, so I would pump ahead of time and give her a bottle... but little dude was my nursing champ and wouldn't take a bottle and there was no way he would let me cover him... it wasn't until I stopped covering up that our nursing in public became natural to us. Really, when nursing you can't see much except my flabby belly until I finally found a solution of cutting holes in some cheap undershirts or buying those belly bands. Oh, and babywearing is a great coverup too. Often time nobody even knows you're nursing just thinking the baby is taking a nap in a carrier, lol.
Old 08-23-2010, 01:40 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I've breastfed in public many times. I never had anything hanging out because I wore nursing clothes and carefully chosen layers or nursed while the baby was in a carrier. I personally hate those nursing cover ups; the minute you put one on, EVERYONE knows what you're doing. I was a lot more comfortable my way. I carried on conversations with people who were a foot away and had no idea I was nursing.

I can understand a business asking someone not to flash, LOL, but they should never ask them to leave for nursing a baby.

Here are a couple photo of me nursing that I took for a debate like this a while back. I actually should have worn a different shirt for the photo. The neckline is so low that in the photo you can't see any shirt at all. In reality it was pushed up so that it blocked the view from the top and the baby and carrier kept you from seeing anything below the shirt's neckline.
Old 08-23-2010, 01:49 PM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

Very interesting...I never thought about the fact that the baby might not want the blanket on his/her head!

Old 08-23-2010, 01:50 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I had my first child while living in Ecuador, where breastfeeding in public is the norm and it's not even considered rude to have it all hang out. I had never really paid attention to breastfeeding politics in this country before, so I thought Ecuador was normal until we came home and I realized how different things are here.

I do nurse my children in public (church, etc.) when they are very small - and I always cover up. Once they get old enough to squirm and make noise, I'm not as comfortable with it. But I'm totally okay with anyone who does - I really think we make way too big a deal of women nursing in public when half the magazines on the newsstands show more skin than the average nursing mother!
Old 08-23-2010, 01:52 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I breastfed my three youngest children, anywhere and everywhere. (11 months with my daughter, 20 months with each of the boys)

If I was in public, I would cover up, for my modesty. Although sometimes the little one had different ideas and wanted to see what was going on around her/him.

I feel they should be given the opportunity to cover up (if they aren't), but otherwise, no, they have as much a right to feed their child from the breast as they do the bottle.
Old 08-23-2010, 02:01 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

I have in public but either cover up or move my shirt so that it comes close to baby's mouth and then no one can see anything.

I have no desire for anyone to see my b**bs . . . that being said I find it kind of funny that the people who carry on and on about breastfeeding in public are usually the same ones who wear TEENY TINY shirts or have cleavage hanging all over the place! Why is it only offensive to see a breast if it's feeding someone?

I'd say "hmmm, food for thought" but that might be kind of corny, HA!

Walking Along - my blog.
Happily creating for Polly & Rufus and TwoLittlePixels.
Old 08-23-2010, 02:01 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Yes, I do.

Most of the time I use my hooter hider, but in some cases, like Bible Study where it's a bunch of nursing moms, I occasionally skip the cover.

Based on breastfeeding, no. That said regardless, I wouldn't go back to that business.
Old 08-23-2010, 02:07 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I have breastfed both kiddos and will breastfeed this one as well. I have and will continue to nurse in public, wherever I am, wherever the baby needs to eat. I've found that covering up draws much more attention to myself than not. Babies hate to have their heads covered while they're eating (who would want that???) especially in 100 degree weather, and they pull and fuss and throw the blanket off and I have to pick it up, etc. I use a nursing tank so my tummy is covered and just lift up my shirt. I show MUCH less skin than most of the teenagers running around in the mall. Very few people have even ever realized I was nursing, and most of them were moms with babies themselves, who probably have done it as well.
And it is against the law in most states for anyone to ask a nursing mother to leave or cover up in any public place where she has the right to be otherwise.

Last edited by Tracie Stroud; 08-23-2010 at 02:26 PM.
Old 08-23-2010, 02:32 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

1. Do you or would you breastfeed in public?- I have and I would again
2. If so, have you or would you cover yourself or leave it all hanging out? ---er, I don't have enpugh boobs to "hang out" lol. But no, I am descreet.
3. Do you feel that a business or any other establishment has the right to ask a woman to leave based on breastfeeding her child?--- actually in most states its against the law to ask a woman to stop breastfeeding a child. I find it horrifying that people don't realize that our breasts were put there to provide for a child. They're not sexual.
Old 08-23-2010, 02:35 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rach3975 View Post
I've breastfed in public many times. I never had anything hanging out because I wore nursing clothes and carefully chosen layers or nursed while the baby was in a carrier. I personally hate those nursing cover ups; the minute you put one on, EVERYONE knows what you're doing. I was a lot more comfortable my way. I carried on conversations with people who were a foot away and had no idea I was nursing.

I can understand a business asking someone not to flash, LOL, but they should never ask them to leave for nursing a baby.

Here are a couple photo of me nursing that I took for a debate like this a while back. I actually should have worn a different shirt for the photo. The neckline is so low that in the photo you can't see any shirt at all. In reality it was pushed up so that it blocked the view from the top and the baby and carrier kept you from seeing anything below the shirt's neckline.
Rachel, I remember once I was at a BBQ and was sitting across from my friend who was a little breastfeeding phobic. I was nursing Judah. Suddenly the friend says "you shouldn't tempt him like that, he'll want to eat." I smiled and said "he is eating." The look on his face was priceless.
Old 08-23-2010, 02:44 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I am a huge advocate of b/f and obviously think you should b/f in public. Who wants to eat their lunch in a bathroom stall? I b/f my son until he self weaned at 14 months.

1. Do you or would you breastfeed in public? Yes, I did, many times.
2. If so, have you or would you cover yourself or leave it all hanging out? Well, even when I didn't cover with a blanket, there was nothing 'hanging out'. After so long, we were pros and could do it with nothing showing when I wore the right clothes. If I didn't wear the right clothes, I would use a light blanket.
3. Do you feel that a business or any other establishment has the right to ask a woman to leave based on breastfeeding her child? Nope and in many states its illegal to do so. Believe me, if someone had asked me to leave, they would have had an issue.
Old 08-23-2010, 02:57 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

Yes. I do.
sometimes I cover, but not with an older baby because it causes a commotion with all of their trying to uncover. Nobody can see anything. I place my shirt to block the view.
If babies are allowed to be there, then no, never!
Old 08-23-2010, 03:02 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I would breastfeed in public, yes.

I would probably cover myself, but more because I'm modest than to keep from offending others. However, it doesn't bother me when other women choose not to cover themselves.

I think it's ridiculous to ask a woman to leave the establishment to breastfeed, and I would leave, but they would never get my business again.

New Siggy Coming Soon
Old 08-23-2010, 03:50 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I'm currently still feeding my just-turned-2-year old, so I've done my fair share of feeding in public!! Although it's been a while since we fed in public, since he now just feeds in the morning time. But when he was younger, yes, I fed him wherever he needed it.

Whenever I fed in public, I didn't do anything special to cover up (no blankets, etc). That said, I never felt that I was letting anything hang out . I pulled up my shirt to feed, and the baby covered my belly, so there was really nothing to see. Very few people I know have actually breastfed, so it was rare that anyone even knew what was going on!

It's illegal here to be asked to leave anywhere because you're breastfeeding. And no, I don't think that they should have the right to ask a woman to leave. If it's a place where babies in general are welcome, then I don't see the problem with feeding the baby.
Old 08-23-2010, 03:55 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Stacey42 Send a message via Yahoo to Stacey42

I have plenty of times when the boys were nursing.

I must lack a modesty gene because it never honestly occured to me to throw a blanket over the baby while nursing. I'd be discreet about getting him into position and then let my shirt cover my boob some but I see no problem with a bare torso, just it gets chilly sometimes. I had some nursing shirts with flaps so your waist stayed covered & tried to remember to wear them when out & about.

Privately owned businesses can do as they please as far as I am concerned.
But just because you can do a thing doesn't mean you should do it.
Old 08-23-2010, 04:28 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I fed my son is public all the time...i did cover myself and as he got older had to make sure he didn't remove the cover...At home around family I didn't cover up...

I don't think they should have a right to ask a woman to leave...I'd rather not see her boobies and would hope she would cover up...
Old 08-23-2010, 04:38 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

This is just a random question for the international girls.. i'm wondering where you live do you think its less of a problem (? not sure if thats the right word) about breastfeeding in public? Is it more common to just have it a normal everday occurance and less questioned or debated I guess is what i'm wondering..
Old 08-23-2010, 05:15 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

1. Do you or would you breastfeed in public? Yes, I absolutely NIP (nurse in public). I have 2.5 year old and 2.5 month old nurslings. NIP is a must nearly everytime I leave the house.
2. If so, have you or would you cover yourself or leave it all hanging out? I never, EVER use a cover, but I don't leave it hanging out either. You can absolutely be modest without using a nursing cover or blanket.
3. Do you feel that a business or any other establishment has the right to ask a woman to leave based on breastfeeding her child? No, I don't. A baby has a right to eat, and BFing is the normal/standard in infant nutrition. So, why shouldn't BFing be seen in public?

Now, I'm going to go read the rest of this thread and respond as I feel necessary. This is one of my hot button topics.
Old 08-23-2010, 05:15 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I still nurse my 14 month old 2x a day (trying to get her to wean but she won't)... and I've never had to nurse her in public... luckily she never needed to but if she did, I would have... I would have covered up because I'm very self-conscious...
I don't believe businesses should be able to force a nursing woman to leave their establishment, but unfortunately there are laws that may be on the business' sides.

I've only seen a few women nursing in public.. my cousin nursed in church all the time when I was growing up, and a woman in the OB/GYN office- so that was no big deal... it is not illegal to breastfeed in public in my state (Vermont)

Creating for Melissa Bennett & Lliella Designs!!

Old 08-23-2010, 05:21 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by digideb View Post
If I ever get to have a baby, I do want to breastfeed. I have NO problem w/breastfeeding in public as long as you are covered up! I don't want to see everything you've got. But, I don't think you should have to sit in the car or lock yourself in the bathroom either. It can be done modestly! And, to answer 3, no! They don't ask you to leave for feeding your other children, so I don't think they should ask you to leave for nursing your baby!
You CAN be modest without using a cover!

These are more skin than I would normally show while nursing, but I was having a photographer purposely capture our nursing. IMO, they are very modest.

In all honestly, how is the act of feeding a baby not modest? Remember our breasts were designed to nurture our young, not to be play toys.
Old 08-23-2010, 05:25 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesfl326 View Post
Very interesting...I never thought about the fact that the baby might not want the blanket on his/her head!
Also, I've had babes in both Arizona and Texas, now. All of my babes are prone to heat rash. Covering them with a blanket or nursing cover would be miserable for them.
Old 08-23-2010, 05:34 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristinCB View Post
This is just a random question for the international girls.. i'm wondering where you live do you think its less of a problem (? not sure if thats the right word) about breastfeeding in public? Is it more common to just have it a normal everday occurance and less questioned or debated I guess is what i'm wondering..
Breastfeeding is definitely not commonplace in Ireland. I think we've got one of the lowest rates in Europe. I remember reading when DS was younger, that approx 47% of women start out breastfeeding at birth, and by 4 weeks, that's down to 28%. By 6 months, it's dropped to 3%. I can't even imagine what sort of percentage I'm in now (D is 2)!

People always just assume that all babies are fed formula here, it's so out of the ordinary to come across someone who breastfeeds. I come from a large extended family and was the first to breastfeed (in the last few generations anyway!!). The only person to ever really acknowledge it was my sister, everyone else just looked the other way if they realised I was feeding DS in their presence, and never mentioned it. And it's not that people have a problem with it, it's just not something they're used to, and they're not sure how to act or what to say (but that's just typical Irish culture ). And in that sense, there isn't really a problem with feeding in public here - people might notice, but they pretend not to, and so they say nothing!

Ok, I'm rambling now, sorry. lol. But.....I don't think anyone but DH knows that I'm still feeding D now (not that it's a secret, he just feeds 1st thing in the morning now, so no-one ever sees!), and I can imagine the jaws hitting the floor if anyone ever realised
Old 08-23-2010, 05:40 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandabarugh View Post

These are more skin than I would normally show while nursing, but I was having a photographer purposely capture our nursing. IMO, they are very modest.

In all honestly, how is the act of feeding a baby not modest? Remember our breasts were designed to nurture our young, not to be play toys.
Love those photos Amanda! And woot for another fluffy-bum baby!

Old 08-23-2010, 05:50 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I did when I was nursing DD.
Most of the time I made use of 'nursing shirts' or button up shirts. People tend to be too much nosy and I am a REALLY shy person.
NO. In fact here we have laws to grant the right of breastfeeding while working. Basically the right is a 2 breaks of 30 each while working until the baby completes 6mo. It can be negotiated w/ your boss, like more minutes, leave work one hour earlier/day, etc. and every company which have 30 or more women with +16yo HAS to provide a secure local to do it.
Old 08-23-2010, 06:04 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Also, I've had babes in both Arizona and Texas, now. All of my babes are prone to heat rash. Covering them with a blanket or nursing cover would be miserable for them.
I went to Texas a week ago for a family reunion and I couldn't imagine trying to cover a baby in that weather...

I've seen women breastfeeding in a McDonald's play area and it was no big deal...maybe it was because I did the same think when my son was younger...It would be interesting how women without children view it.
Old 08-23-2010, 06:19 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm
Smile

I am in New Zealand. There is the push here to become more 'Baby Friendly' and increase breatfeeding rates.

I breastfed both my kids - DD until she was 4 months when I lost my milk, and DS up to 8.5 months when the previously bottle hating boy would only feed by this method. I find bottles a real pain, especially now that DS has had to go onto soy due to dairy intolerance.

I generally did not bother to cover up that much - not overly well endowed anyway and pretty much always wore a feeding singlet, so nothing was on show anyway. I found that second time round I didn't give a stuff what anyone thought! The only time I felt the need to be REALLY discreet was at a stop over in Dubai Airport. There was no way that DS would let me cover him with a muslin or blanket.

I don't think anyone should be asked to leave because they are feeding in public. I appreciate the fact that the larger malls and the like provide feeding/changing rooms, with comfortable feeding chairs, but I would rather sit and have my drink with others than be on own with bubs. The only comment I really had was another mother saying upon seeing me feeding in the cafe area, that it made her remember feeding hers in the same place.

I got on my high horse one day and posted on my blog!
http://corinnelister.wordpress.com/2...ing-in-public/
Old 08-23-2010, 06:28 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesfl326 View Post
My niece would hate it when I tried to cover Nicholas while he feed (she's 14 months older than him) and would pull that blanket right off if I tried. That's the one time I went to a bathroom while in public. We were in a nice restaurant and seating right smack in the middle of the place, he was at that stage where they pull off to look around often and she was sitting next to me. lol
Old 08-23-2010, 06:29 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Well... I'm outside the norm... I didn't breastfeed, I tried for a month and it was just frustrating for both of us. It's not something I grew up with, nor did any of my friends do. Also, during that time I didn't leave the house much so NIP wasn't an issue... and personally, I don't think I would have. I'm too self conscious and private of a person. If I had a more positive experience, I might think differently.

My personal opinion on most of these issues are that it's the woman's choice... it's a natural item. I'm not offended by it and wouldn't think twice seeing it. Majority of people are modest about it so you don't even know that it is happening... However, I do remember my first experience with seeing a woman NIP I was in college at a jazz concert... right in the middle audience, she stripped her whole shirt off... and then stood up and started nursing... that was a bit too revealing for my tastes.
Old 08-23-2010, 06:31 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristinCB View Post
Where we are now, I've never seen a woman breastfeed in public in the year I've been here. And yes I would notice since all babies are carried on the back not front here. The child is usually walking and eating whole food by 9 ish months here. The babies are encouraged to quickly be kids it seems.
Old 08-23-2010, 06:34 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBee View Post
Well... I'm outside the norm... I didn't breastfeed, I tried for a month and it was just frustrating for both of us. It's not something I grew up with, nor did any of my friends do. Also, during that time I didn't leave the house much so NIP wasn't an issue... and personally, I don't think I would have. I'm too self conscious and private of a person. If I had a more positive experience, I might think differently.

My personal opinion on most of these issues are that it's the woman's choice... it's a natural item. I'm not offended by it and wouldn't think twice seeing it. Majority of people are modest about it so you don't even know that it is happening... However, I do remember my first experience with seeing a woman NIP I was in college at a jazz concert... right in the middle audience, she stripped her whole shirt off... and then stood up and started nursing... that was a bit too revealing for my tastes.
Ditto to everything but the concert. My breast milk didnt have the calories they needed. I think to each her own
Old 08-23-2010, 06:34 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

These pictures made me smile from ear to ear and I'm all warm and fuzzy feeling inside-Awesome shots Amanda-I have a few that are very similar but they are on our old computer or I would share...

Quote:

Old 08-23-2010, 10:15 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I completely agree with everyone! Unfortunately I was unable to b/f my boys but am going to try again this time around!!! I am keeping my fingers crossed that we can avoid the NICU, avoid stress and my milk comes in!! I tried for a while...almost a month with our second but unfortunately my milk supply was soooooo low and he never would latch on so I was trying to pump and feed him from the bottle...I wore myself out.

If I do get to b/f this time around... I will feed in public but I will cover up with a blanket more than likely and I think a mother should be able to feed her baby wherever they are (if they are allowed to be there otherwise) and not be asked to leave.