Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 06-15-2017, 02:29 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default Are you "handy"?

So far this week, I fixed a problem with our pool vacuum and pump, installed a flat screen tv on the wall of my daughter's bedroom and fixed a broken necklace that she had. I routinely rewire lights and switches, fix easy plumbing stuff (toilet mechanisms, faucets) and fix things around here. My hubby, by contrast, is your stereotypical intellectual who has no interest or talent in trying to DIY stuff. What about you? Are you handy around the house or do you have hubby our a hired service fix stuff around your house?
Old 06-15-2017, 02:29 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Nope...that's what my husband is for.

Old 06-15-2017, 03:42 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm kinda handy. My husband does the heavy stuff though. And I think he does a better job because I keep the kids away...it makes me wonder how great of a job I'd do if the kids left me alone to fix things...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-15-2017, 03:43 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I can do it... it was the way I was raised, don't depend on a man when you can do it yourself. Do I do it? No, I call "Dave!" (that is either my husband or step dad... both are named Dave. )

My hubby loathes the little stupid stuff that comes up in the house that needs to be fixed, but usually too cheap to hire it done. haha. Yet, by the time he makes x number of trips to the hardware store to get what he needs, it probably would have been cheaper to hire it done...
Old 06-15-2017, 03:55 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm not but would love to be!

As I am alone, it's a real problem for me, I try to do some little things and learn fastly but then Ii have to admit it doesn't passionate me and prefer ask somebody but it can have a cost depend on what is the problem....
Before I have a friend who was super handy and can do nearly anything but now I know nobody like him...
Old 06-15-2017, 04:33 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Well i am a single mother so i have to do a lot off stuff myself.but i dont touch electricity.

Last edited by renatasluis; 06-16-2017 at 01:15 AM.
Old 06-15-2017, 06:41 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Not at all. My bff is always trying to teach me to be an independent woman, but I'm all, "Why do I need to learn to change a tire when I have someone who can do it for me?" Some things I like to do on my own, but fixing stuff around the house or the car, I'd rather just put it on Joel's list.
Old 06-15-2017, 08:13 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Pretty much. Hubby and I make a pretty good team when working together--we've had to assemble quite a lot of stuff over the years, and we'll do light repairs. He works a lot of hours, so there isn't enough time to do the bigger stuff, so we'll hire out those things.
Old 06-15-2017, 08:52 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Absolutely - having been a Marine Corps wife with a DH who was gone a LOT I had to learn to become handy (but I was always mechanically inclined growing up). It's been just me since DH passed for the past 14 years so I do it all... except electricity, I don't mess around what that (but DS is a part-time electrician so I'm covered).
Old 06-15-2017, 09:18 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

It depends on what it is. I'll take on small jobs; it's easy to find tutorials online for things I don't know how to do. But for things that are time consuming or that would have bad consequences for messing them up (like electricity, hanging heavy things that can fall, or anything where we'd have to spend a lot on supplies that can be ruined) we call in the professionals. Earlier in our lives, when we had more free time and less money, we did more ourselves than we do now.
Old 06-16-2017, 02:03 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Yes. We were trained by my father when we were young (because we're 3 girls in the family and our youngest is a boy) to do handy work in the house so we know how to fix electrical wirings, carpentry, we know how to use tools and assemble things. So when we need to fix something in the house, I "guide" my husband in doing it. I don't want to hurt his feelings but we have already accepted the fact that I know my way in the house because of my father.
Old 06-20-2017, 03:02 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Thank god my hubs is handy b/c I sure am not. I can barely get up on a ladder and change a light bulb.
Old 06-20-2017, 05:01 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Just like Lynn, both the hubz and I are a great team and we've done LARGE repairs to our 1979 and 1972 classic chevy pickup trucks. Google is our best friend, uh huh! We also do many other things around the garage, house as well (no, not in a naughty way either ROFL) !!
Old 06-20-2017, 09:18 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I'm handy, but I have no problem hiring someone if I'm not in the mood